ADVERTISEMENT

Solomon Vault out for the season

FloridAlum

May 29, 2001
Lower body injury, required surgery, expected to take a red shirt, has one year of eligibility left, that's all I know

I look forward to an entire season of kneeling in the end zone or starting from the 15.

Not so fast. I think Riley Lees and Jeremy Larkin will have something to say about that.
He will be a big loss on KOR. We have been spoiled with Mark and Vault over the years. It will be interesting to see who takes over.
On offense i just dont think we will miss him. Really has a hard time running routes and getting open and his rushing vision is poor. His vision is far sighted and among the best.

Don't know that Larkin has the speed to be a truly gamebreaking KOR like Vault.
Don't underestimate him. His vision and ability to squirt out of holes is exactly the type of skill that will translate on kickoffs. He might get caught from behind after some 60-70 yard returns, but I think I can live with that.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Lower body injury, required surgery, expected to take a red shirt, has one year of eligibility left, that's all I know

Am I dreaming or is Alonzo Mayo also out for the season? If so, then two guys already out for the season and X. Washington an unknown. Not a great start. Let's hope it ends there.

On a separate topic, I was looking at the roster at NUsports.com and noticed that Keith Watkins is listed as a junior. Is it possible that he was awarded a medical RS after all?

Big loss. Vault KO return TDs changed games at Duke, at Michigan St last year, and vs. PSU in 2015. Hope he makes a full recovery!

Don't underestimate him. His vision and ability to squirt out of holes is exactly the type of skill that will translate on kickoffs. He might get caught from behind after some 60-70 yard returns, but I think I can live with that.

I have no reason to think Larkin would be a KOR candidate.

Austin Anderson ?

Yeah, I'd be interested to see what he can do back there. Just having Auston out on the field would be nice. It's been a while.

Roberts, McShepard, and perhaps, Lees might be able to do some things with the ball in their hands as well.

That's nice... and was across all of 7 returns. B1G football is a touch different.

Don't you think that had something to do with the fact that he ran for almost 5000 yards from scrimmage in his last two seasons of HS? I think the coach felt it would be best to not use his workhorse back on special teams. The point is that when they needed a big play in the return game they stuck him back there and he performed well. With Solo out and Fitz looking for ways to get Larkin some touches, I'd be shocked if he is not given a look as a kick returner.

Don't you think that had something to do with the fact that he ran for almost 5000 yards from scrimmage in his last two seasons of HS? I think the coach felt it would be best to not use his workhorse back on special teams. The point is that when they needed a big play in the return game they stuck him back there and he performed well. With Solo out and Fitz looking for ways to get Larkin some touches, I'd be shocked if he is not given a look as a kick returner.

Vision and patience to hit a hole from the backfield is completely different than as KOR. Aren't you always the one bemoaning Vault as a RB?

Vision and patience to hit a hole from the backfield is completely different than as KOR. Aren't you always the one bemoaning Vault as a RB?

Yes because he goes down at first contact. What does that have to do with Larkin as a KOR? Patience is not a virtue on KOR but vision, quickness and the ability to break tackles are. Larkin may not have Vault's long speed but I think those other qualities would make him a very effective KOR. He is a playmaker and I want my playmaker to get touches. This may be one of the better ways to do that this year. As I said, Lees is also a logical alternative but I think Larkin will also get a look.

Reactions: TerraCat
Yes because he goes down at first contact. What does that have to do with Larkin as a KOR? Patience is not a virtue on KOR but vision, quickness and the ability to break tackles are. Larkin may not have Vault's long speed but I think those other qualities would make him a very effective KOR. He is a playmaker and I want my playmaker to get touches. This may be one of the better ways to do that this year. As I said, Lees is also a logical alternative but I think Larkin will also get a look.

Sorry. Just don't see it.

How about Moten IV? He's certainly fast enough based upon his track times. Is he too valuable as a backup to JJTBC?

Anderson is another possibility. Is he healed up and functional now?

Flynn Nagel ? Hello

He's already our punt returner and may be our top receiver this year. I am not sure it makes sense to add on KOR duties when there may be some attractive alternatives that need to find a way onto the field.

How about Moten IV? He's certainly fast enough based upon his track times. Is he too valuable as a backup to JJTBC?

Anderson is another possibility. Is he healed up and functional now?

JJTBC will get the lions share of the carries, like always. You absolutely need to find ways to utilize your best weapons and Moten IV is near the top of those weapons. He gets a big shot if I am in charge. Roberts was exceptional in HS as a kick returner. Maybe he can find that Solo type of role back there too.

He's already our punt returner and may be our top receiver this year. I am not sure it makes sense to add on KOR duties when there may be some attractive alternatives that need to find a way onto the field.
I think Fitz and the staff will put whomever they think will be the best possible fit there regardless of how many other duties they have. Flynn has great hands and speed. I could see him and others sharing that duty. I think Larkin would also be a great choice, he too has great hands. Riley Lees is another. We do have options for sure. We are recruiting and developing great athletes and we have depth at most positions. I have faith that we will be fine . It is too bad about Solomon.

How about Roberts? Speed check. Hands ? Durability ?

I would not be surprised to see Riley Lees emerge as the primary kickoff returner.

I would not be surprised to see Riley Lees emerge as the primary kickoff returner.
maybe but don't think that he's much of a speed guy. That's why I thought that Roberts might be a fit or maybe Moten.

Knowing nothing beyond actual games, I'd like to see Moten back there. He's talented and a game breaker.

Back when NU was running back U (not really), both Wright and Herron cut their teeth as returners before stepping into larger roles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT