ADVERTISEMENT

Some nice things in the box score

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
While many are lamenting how poorly NU played tonight, here are a few positives to pick out of the box score:

Boo - 21 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists and 0 turnovers
Barnhizer - career-high 20 points, 7 boards, 3 steals, 3 assists
Clayton - career-high 23 minutes, made a three-pointer (his first points as a Cat)
Martinelli led the NU bench in scoring for second game in a row (albeit with just 4).

Team: Only 7 turnovers (vs. 17 for WMU). NU has won the TO battle in all three games this year by at least seven. Overall, it's a 51 to 26 differential for NU. They can't get regularly outrebounded like they did tonight, but if so, they can make up the difference via turnovers.

Reactions: EagerFan
Uber and i attended the game. Here is a pic of us in the balcony. I’m the handsome one.
image.jpg

The game was not surprising after the win vs Dayton. But I never thought we’d lose the game.

The shots did not want to fall as a significant number of 3s rimmed out. Langborg’s release looked awful, like he was tired or hurt.

We had trouble with some switches on defense. And those guards were big and fast.

Was great to see Jordan Clayton make his first three, especially after his previous attempt got wedged between the backboard and rim. That was comedic.

Barney sure is fun to watch.

While many are lamenting how poorly NU played tonight, here are a few positives to pick out of the box score:

Boo - 21 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists and 0 turnovers
Barnhizer - career-high 20 points, 7 boards, 3 steals, 3 assists
Clayton - career-high 23 minutes, made a three-pointer (his first points as a Cat)
Martinelli led the NU bench in scoring for second game in a row (albeit with just 4).

Team: Only 7 turnovers (vs. 17 for WMU). NU has won the TO battle in all three games this year by at least seven. Overall, it's a 51 to 26 differential for NU. They can't get regularly outrebounded like they did tonight, but if so, they can make up the difference via turnovers.
I think the official scoring will increase the assists totals especially for BB. Seems like my feed had him scoring or assisting on everything.

Reactions: drewjin
Uber and i attended the game. Here is a pic of us in the balcony. I’m the handsome one.
image.jpg

The game was not surprising after the win vs Dayton. But I never thought we’d lose the game.

The shots did not want to fall as a significant number of 3s rimmed out. Langborg’s release looked awful, like he was tired or hurt.

We had trouble with some switches on defense. And those guards were big and fast.

Was great to see Jordan Clayton make his first three, especially after his previous attempt got wedged between the backboard and rim. That was comedic.

Barney sure is fun to watch.
I still hope that CCC turns to a Berry or Langford lineup depending who’s hot or needs a break. Hunger hasn’t shown anything. Mart seems like he is trying to build on his strong finish to last season.

Boo w Clayton sub
Berry or Lang
BB in rotation w Mullins and Mart let’s him slide between 3 and 4
MN w Preston

Nine man rotation keeps legs fresh for a violent B1G season

Also, Edney dropped weight down to 280. Wonder how that changes the MN - Edney battle on the horizon…

I like the fact CC trusts Clayton to play him for that long. And I am happy about finding opportunities to give guys like him playing time. It's hella important.

But, objectively, the quality of his playing last night did not justify the playing time. That was not what earned him the time. It was based on potential.

My man crush for Barnhizer is not new. He's the new Matt as far as my man crushes go. Kid has some incredible instincts. Even when he gets himself into trouble, dribbling into trouble, surrounded by bigger dudes, I do not worry. That's one play. He has that instinct of figuring out in the next play how to score. That is just something you do not teach.

Speaking of man crushes, after seeing @Hungry Jack and @ubercat 's picture, I would hit that.

Last edited:
I like the fact CC trusts Clayton to play them for that long. And I am happy about finding opportunities to give guys like him playing time. It's hella important.

But, objectively, the quality of his playing last night did not justify the playing time. That was not what earned him the time. It was based on potential.

My man crush for Barnhizer is not new. He's the new Matt as far as my man crushes go. Kid has some incredible instincts. Even when he gets himself into trouble, dribbling into trouble, surrounded by bigger dudes, I do not worry. That's one play. He has that instinct of figuring out in the next play how to score. That is just something you do not teach.

Speaking of man crushes, after seeing @Hungry Jack and @ubercat 's picture, I would hit that.
Hungry and Uber look even better in person!

Hungry and Uber look even better in person!
PPD,

You asked me what Bruce Weber said during the Dayton game.
Cappy shut the thread down for no reason whatsoever before I could answer you.
(I suspect Gordie complained again - its impossible to guess why the moderator does what he does)

Here's my response to your question....

The replay I have access to (on YouTube) clips off the first part of it, because they're coming out of timeout (7:15 in first half) but essentially Weber said... Chris Lowery is a great defensive coach who did great things for me at Kansas State and was hired

"... last year to help Northwestern the first year bringing his defense with his schemes with him."

It was Weber so it wasn't great grammar, but his point was pretty clear. He (Weber) certainly likes Lowery but also credits him for their success at Kansas State.

PPD,

(I suspect Gordie complained again - its impossible to guess why the moderator does what he does)

The replay I have access to (on YouTube) clips off the first part of it, because they're coming out of timeout (7:15 in first half) but essentially Weber said... Chris Lowery is a great defensive coach who did great things for me at Kansas State and was hired

"... last year to help Northwestern the first year bringing his defense with his schemes with him."

It was Weber so it wasn't great grammar, but his point was pretty clear. He (Weber) certainly likes Lowery but also credits him for their success at Kansas State.
You said I complained? Are you really that much of a jerk? Apologies expected soon.

PPD,

No, I shut down the thread because you once again started an argument with someone that devolved, and yet here you go again in another thread, while also attacking me and slandering Gordie.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
PPD,

Thanks for the clarification.

No, I shut down the thread because you once again started an argument with someone that devolved, and yet here you go again in another thread, while also attacking me and slandering Gordie.
CappyNU:

I am very disappointed in your recently aggressive negative tone toward me.

I posted here because PPD asked me a question on another thread (that you shut down ) and I owed him a response. When somebody on the board asks me a serious question, I make a point of responding.

Read the thread - I tried to have an honest discussion with Gordie about Coach Collins after he made a comment asserting that the blowout of NU 's women's team by Notre Dame is evidence that Chris Collins is a "special" coach.
I chided Gordie for that (obviously) but there was no vulgarity, no insults, nothing.
Just an attempt at a discussion.
For unknown reasons you got mad and closed the thread.

Then you come over on this thread and falsely accuse me of "attacking" you because I criticized you for closing the thread? Exaggerate much?
And you double down by accusing me of "slandering" Gordie by saying I suspected that he had complained.
These are weak accusations, unbecoming of a moderator, who is supposed to allow people to express their point of view, never lashing out at them, as long as they follow the rules.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2
You said I complained? Are you really that much of a jerk? Apologies expected soon.
I wrote "I suspect that Gordie complained again."

I was trying to have an honest discussion with you on that other thread.
I asked you if you had heard something Bruce Weber said during the Dayton game. You dodged the question. I asked again. You dodged again. I don't know why.
Then Cappy shut the thread down. Did you think that thread needed to be shut down? I certainly didn't. I was hoping you would have an honest, un-emotional discussion about Chris Collins, since you are his most vocal supporter.
Instead you've decided (again) to play the victim, while calling me a jerk and demanding an apology. Ironic?

My impression is that you have reported messages that you don't like to the moderator on several occasions. My recollection is that you have stated so yourself. Are you denying that?

I wrote "I suspect that Gordie complained again."

I was trying to have an honest discussion with you on that other thread.
I asked you if you had heard something Bruce Weber said during the Dayton game. You dodged the question. I asked again. You dodged again. I don't know why.
Then Cappy shut the thread down. Did you think that thread needed to be shut down? I certainly didn't. I was hoping you would have an honest, un-emotional discussion about Chris Collins, since you are his most vocal supporter.
Instead you've decided (again) to play the victim, while calling me a jerk and demanding an apology. Ironic?

My impression is that you have reported messages that you don't like to the moderator on several occasions. My recollection is that you have stated so yourself. Are you denying that?
I am not. In line with the rules, I have been transparent about saying personal attacks deserve a report. (I think I’ve actually reported once, to be honest). Your “suspect” word is a personal attack of me - there’s no denying that. Still awaiting my apology. (And I don’t care what gibberish Weber said about Lowery).

As someone who enjoys the give and take, I am disappointed that so many threads have deleted posts or get closed.

After expressing this opinion a few times, I have come to the conclusion that Moderators are going to do what the Moderators feel they need to do. Frankly, if you want to have discussion with NU fans this is the only place to do it, so I accept what I feel is an overbearing monitoring of grown adults. There are no viable alternatives. If you want a site with no moderation, go to That sh*t show called Inside NU. So, if I get deleted posts, big deal. It’s wack-a-mole anyway as the taboo topic tends to resurface. I don’t believe I have ever “reported” a post and if the Moderators are getting flooded with complaints from other members then they have to act. However, it would be surprising to me if a bevy of members are filling the Moderations DM box with demands for action. The Moderator’s are like umpires in baseball, it’s a thankless role and it is impossible to make everyone happy. Let’s talk about the defensive wizard now.

As someone who enjoys the give and take, I am disappointed that so many threads have deleted posts or get closed.

After expressing this opinion a few times, I have come to the conclusion that Moderators are going to do what the Moderators feel they need to do. Frankly, if you want to have discussion with NU fans this is the only place to do it, so I accept what I feel is an overbearing monitoring of grown adults. There are no viable alternatives. If you want a site with no moderation, go to That sh*t show called Inside NU. So, if I get deleted posts, big deal. It’s wack-a-mole anyway as the taboo topic tends to resurface. I don’t believe I have ever “reported” a post and if the Moderators are getting flooded with complaints from other members then they have to act. However, it would be surprising to me if a bevy of members are filling the Moderations DM box with demands for action. The Moderator’s are like umpires in baseball, it’s a thankless role and it is impossible to make everyone happy. Let’s talk about the defensive wizard now.
It’s more simple, PPD. If we accept the Board needs a few rules, then they should be enforced.

Reactions: SmellyCat
I am fine with moderators doing what they do. Sometimes they can be trigger happy in some people's opinions, but it's all part of the game. That's just how it works, because moderators are human like anyone else. I agree that if we have rules, they should be enforced fairly.

What I DON'T like is I started this thread to talk about the box score from Tuesday and it became...this (with an amusing stop in between to talk about the looks of Uber and Hungry). Oh well, such is the nature of internet message boards. Looking forward to tomorrow's football/basketball doubleheader when we can talk about Purdue and Rhode Island (and Sunday's opponent) rather than Western Michigan and Wisconsin and board rules.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and CappyNU
I am fine with moderators doing what they do. Sometimes they can be trigger happy in some people's opinions, but it's all part of the game. That's just how it works, because moderators are human like anyone else. I agree that if we have rules, they should be enforced fairly.

What I DON'T like is I started this thread to talk about the box score from Tuesday and it became...this (with an amusing stop in between to talk about the looks of Uber and Hungry). Oh well, such is the nature of internet message boards. Looking forward to tomorrow's football/basketball doubleheader when we can talk about Purdue and Rhode Island (and Sunday's opponent) rather than Western Michigan and Wisconsin and board rules.
I’ve given up on trying to understand the application of the “board rules”. Back to sports for me.

I’ve given up on trying to understand the application of the “board rules”. Back to sports for me.
Surprised to hear this from you. There are reasonable boundaries that are easy to understand. If you think calling each other names and falsely accusing people of ratting them out to a moderator are acceptable, then I’ll be even more surprised by you. Let’s be better (and get along)!

• Haha
Surprised to hear this from you. There are reasonable boundaries that are easy to understand. If you think calling each other names and falsely accusing people of ratting them out to a moderator are acceptable, then I’ll be even more surprised by you. Let’s be better (and get along)!
No I don’t think calling others names is acceptable. However, this board has become very sensitive to criticism of positions. I have been around here a decade and the delete and ban hammer has never been this extensive. For those veterans, the extent of snipping in posts was WAY worse a few years ago. We have hit the other extreme now. I also am of the opinion these “rules” are extremely inconsistently applied. It’s ok to prefer a different style of moderation and it’s not personal with Cappy or any of the Moderators ! It also should have nothing to do with the position taken. As you know, you are the top CCC supporter around here, but I think I am also in the team picture. My point is debate is good and shouldn’t be closed down because a moderator feels it has run it’s course.

• Love
No I don’t think calling others names is acceptable. However, this board has become very sensitive to criticism of positions. I have been around here a decade and the delete and ban hammer has never been this extensive. For those veterans, the extent of snipping in posts was WAY worse a few years ago. We have hit the other extreme now. I also am of the opinion these “rules” are extremely inconsistently applied. It’s ok to prefer a different style of moderation and it’s not personal with Cappy or any of the Moderators ! It also should have nothing to do with the position taken. As you know, you are the top CCC supporter around here, but I think I am also in the team picture. My point is debate is good and shouldn’t be closed down because a moderator feels it has run it’s course.
My more limited historical experience is that you have lost some valuable Board contributors during those less strict times, which is regrettable. Words matter. Let’s be better and Go Cats!

It's really difficult for moderators to enforce board rules evenly because they are just human beings like the rest of us and their biases creep in whether they like it or not.

PWB suffered a ton of personal attacks last year and that didn't result in any bans. He can be annoyingly repetitive sometimes, but it's in the service of bringing data to the board and he took a ton of incoming doing that. Now saying that a poster known for whining and playing the victim might have complained to moderators is pushing towards a time out?

Back in the "drink bleach and die" days, people could figure out how to disagree and not get their feelings hurt about it.

It's really difficult for moderators to enforce board rules evenly because they are just human beings like the rest of us and their biases creep in whether they like it or not.

PWB suffered a ton of personal attacks last year and that didn't result in any bans. He can be annoyingly repetitive sometimes, but it's in the service of bringing data to the board and he took a ton of incoming doing that. Now saying that a poster known for whining and playing the victim might have complained to moderators is pushing towards a time out?

Back in the "drink bleach and die" days, people could figure out how to disagree and not get their feelings hurt about it.
You call my defending Collins whining? You don’t think I take incoming like PWB? You don’t care about respecting others?

• Haha
You're a better person than I am, Cappy. The same people are always in the middle of every thread you shut down.

I'm looking forward to the cute foot-stomping euphemisms of free speech, discussions and critical analysis. Wake me up when we talk about repetitive sermons.

I have try to add to the ridiculous moderation and report every ot thread. Of course, they don’t care about that stuff. As usual, very subjective standard…

But they are paid what their worth and the budget will only improve with this excellence in product.

You call my defending Collins whining? You don’t think I take incoming like PWB? You don’t care about respecting others?
Nah. I call your whining, whining.

I feel disrespected by your suggesting that I don't care about respecting others. Please stop the personal attacks or I'll have to report your post. ;)

• Love
Cool. Personal attacks, like what you continue to do against Gordie, are against the rules. See you in 24 hours.
How does one critique a moderator any more respectfully than this. We live in such a snowflake world these days. I doubt half the population would have made it out alive if thrust into a birth time pre 2000.

It’s more simple, PPD. If we accept the Board needs a few rules, then they should be enforced.
Yes. Written, posted and objectively (blindly) enforced rules. And if personal attack is based on perception - cool - I can play that game as long as they are universally applied. I can play snowflake with the best of them.

OT - what is OT…

What year did you graduate? Just curious.

And how do you suppose the traffic numbers compare to a few years ago? Wait it out - rivals will: shut it down or make some changes eventually. It’s not a charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT