ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News B1G QB rankings (not good)

Oregon, USC, and Washington have three of the Top 5 QBs in the Big Ten Conference.

This is the world in which we now live.

Insert Exploding Head Emoji.

I mean there's no realistic way to rate him given lack of sample size and that he's a mostly unknown commodity.

Give Lujan time to figure this out...

Reactions: Yeswecat
Who cares, honestly? We are all (well, most of us are) clamoring for a transfer QB for a reason.

I want to say that this article and ranking is weak - it is - but Sullivan strikes me as a journeyman type of QB. Won't embarrass you but won't take you to the promise land.

A key to any good quarterback is how he relates to the players around him and how they relate to him. There is no legitimate way to "rate" that. In the event that we don't get a QB transfer, I am fine with the quarterbacks we have especially given the developmental nature of the program. I remember when Kafka came in to play against Penn State after the starter was injured. He was less than impressive. But he did extremely well once the starting QB job was his. I expect the same if NU's starting QB is already on the roster.

Reactions: drewjin and zeek55
Bryant announced his transfer here last May so plenty of time on that front if Braun/Lujan go that route.

And I agree that even if we don't get a transfer like that, we've got to see what an offseason of development looks like with Lujan.

Have to believe he'll end up doing a better job with QB development than we've seen the past couple of years, so we just have to wait and see. Also depends on what his offense looks like.

These types of preseason rankings typically don't mean anything. Sure it'd be great if everyone was hyped about a returning QB here, but that doesn't win games. And often you're going to need more than 1 QB as we've seen recently given injuries.

I don’t know many of next year’s projected starters in the conference, but based on his stats there is little reason to rank him any higher.

That list is suspect based on ranking Nebraska top half in the conference based on a true freshman Raiola.

Reactions: techtim72
A key to any good quarterback is how he relates to the players around him and how they relate to him. There is no legitimate way to "rate" that. In the event that we don't get a QB transfer, I am fine with the quarterbacks we have especially given the developmental nature of the program. I remember when Kafka came in to play against Penn State after the starter was injured. He was less than impressive. But he did extremely well once the starting QB job was his. I expect the same if NU's starting QB is already on the roster.

You’re calling us a developmental program based on Kafka’s performance?? How about the lack of development from a litany of QB’s over the years? Other than Thorson, who has developed? Our best QBs as of late have been Ramsey and Bryant. We’re in for a long season if we don’t bring in a transfer QB to compete for the starting job and/or provide depth throughout the season.

You’re calling us a developmental program based on Kafka’s performance?? How about the lack of development from a litany of QB’s over the years? Other than Thorson, who has developed? Our best QBs as of late have been Ramsey and Bryant. We’re in for a long season if we don’t bring in a transfer QB to compete for the starting job and/or provide depth throughout the season.
I don’t know that Thorson developed all that much after his first year, that 10 win season.

I was citing Kafka as an example of what a QB can do once once he becomes the starter as opposed to just a back-up. NU has always been a developmental program of sorts but no more than last year. I'm with zeek55 in that we have to see what Lujan can do with the QB's, transfer or not. I'm comfortable with whatever he and Coach Braun do in that regard.

Reactions: drewjin
I mean there's no realistic way to rate him given lack of sample size and that he's a mostly unknown commodity.

Give Lujan time to figure this out...
Sully has nearly 200 passing attempts, and his numbers aren't bad. He has some tools, but, like the poster above, I am hoping for some late stage development like Persa and Kafka. He struggled mightily against Neb and Iowa

Sully has nearly 200 passing attempts, and his numbers aren't bad. He has some tools, but, like the poster above, I am hoping for some late stage development like Persa and Kafka. He struggled mightily against Neb and Iowa
Yeah, I just don't think anybody knows what our QBs will look like after an offseason under Lujan and with his playbook.

Quite frankly, Bajakian didn't produce much in the way of tangible results as far as QB development goes. Arguably he produced far less in his 4 year stretch than any other 4 year stretch of the past 30 years.

It's easy to envision some immediate improvement either with what we have or whoever we bring onboard with an extra offseason under Lujan.

Last edited:
Sullivan saved the season with his performance against Maryland. I have hope he could be pretty good, especially since I think he was playing hurt a little bit last year (Had an injury treated instead of suiting up for the bowl) That said, I hope we bring in a veteran transfer to compete with him.

Reactions: drewjin and zeek55
That's ridiculous. Clayton only had one year of HS QB and was terribly limited in his year one at NU as a starter.
Maybe you misunderstood my statement. Between year one and two there was a jump, after that, he performed pretty much the same. Even so, his first year he was not asked to do as much as a passer so the stats are just lower. As a game manager he was already there since we did win 10 games.

Yeah, I just don't think anybody knows what our QBs will look like after an offseason under Lujan and with his playbook.

Quite frankly, Bajakian didn't produce much in the way of tangible results as far as QB development goes. Arguably he produced far less in his 4 year stretch than any other 4 year stretch of the past 30 years.

It's easy to envision some immediate improvement either with what we have or whoever we bring onboard with an extra offseason under Lujan.
Reality is he had a lot less to work with during that time than any other 4 year stretch in the last 30

He hasn't shown that he can stay healthy

Bryant announced his transfer here last May so plenty of time on that front if Braun/Lujan go that route.

And I agree that even if we don't get a transfer like that, we've got to see what an offseason of development looks like with Lujan.

Have to believe he'll end up doing a better job with QB development than we've seen the past couple of years, so we just have to wait and see. Also depends on what his offense looks like.

These types of preseason rankings typically don't mean anything. Sure it'd be great if everyone was hyped about a returning QB here, but that doesn't win games. And often you're going to need more than 1 QB as we've seen recently given injuries.
Two weeks

I'm worried that some are expecting Lujan to be a miracle worker. He most likely won't be. QB is such a special position because it take incredible physical gifts, but even more impressive mental gifts in both preparation, recognition, and reaction. I imagine some of that can be learned and developed but a lot of that is just ingrained. I didn't see those mental skills in Sullivan, so to think that Lujan can help him learn that much in one offseason seems like a ton to ask. But, I also know far less about the inner workings of football than any other major sport since I only played one year as a terribly undersized fifth-string defensive back in middle school. So, basically, this post ain't worth much.

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm worried that some are expecting Lujan to be a miracle worker. He most likely won't be. QB is such a special position because it take incredible physical gifts, but even more impressive mental gifts in both preparation, recognition, and reaction. I imagine some of that can be learned and developed but a lot of that is just ingrained. I didn't see those mental skills in Sullivan, so to think that Lujan can help him learn that much in one offseason seems like a ton to ask. But, I also know far less about the inner workings of football than any other major sport since I only played one year as a terribly undersized fifth-string defensive back in middle school. So, basically, this post ain't worth much.
I think we have to give Lujan a couple years just as we gave Bajakian that time.

I agree that we can't expect anybody to be a miracle worker. If he can't make anything of what we have, then we need a talent infusion into the QB room and we have to hope that we get prospects that he can shape into developed QBs in the future.

He'll get a couple years to prove he can do it.

I agree that we can't expect anybody to be a miracle worker.
He doesn't have to be a miracle worker to improve from the Jake years, which were pretty awful. Just get the NU offense into the third quartile and with the NU defense the Cats will be cookin' with gas.

Reactions: NUCat320
He doesn't have to be a miracle worker to improve from the Jake years, which were pretty awful. Just get the NU offense into the third quartile and with the NU defense the Cats will be cookin' with gas.
I think this was a limited discussion to developing a quarterback. I agree that NU could potentially have some success even without a huge transformation of the QB position, though of course, improving the QB play would go a long way to accomplishing your overall goal.

The one that caught my eye was Michigan at 11th. Wow, their entire offense - including their top six OL are gone

• Wow
I just can’t see someone transferring to NU to play in the WRECK. Sullivan has got to be the man.
Maybe but he has not shown he can stay healthy for more than about 3 games so either you have to have others ready to play or you have to get someone else or both

Uh Ya he does if we are going to do anything this year. When Jake had at least serviceable QBs with some experience he did fine. But when he came in the cupboard was really bare. The issue is hard to see it being much better now so if there is no getting a QB with experience, it will pretty much take a miracle worker to get us to the point of being any good this year.

Was there today and hard to see anything that changes that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT