ADVERTISEMENT

stadium--any news

I don't believe there has been any news from NU regarding the plans after this season or the design of the new stadium.

I would think the permit situation with Evanston will take a significant amount of time. Think of the logistics as well, demo the stadium and you have one major artery to truck that concrete out and bring in new material. Central ave will be a mess and i am sure the residents and city will push back. Plus with the NIL landscape, does that impact NU's view of athletics, who knows....

I don't believe there has been any news from NU regarding the plans after this season or the design of the new stadium.
I saw some of the architectural renderings a couple of months back. If anything like what I saw comes to fruition, I think most of us will be impressed. That said, the quoted price tag for what I saw was more than has been contributed so far. It may take awhile before the university figures out whether it can scare the remaining money out of the Ryans, other donors, corporate box right-holders, or season ticketholders, or whether to scale down the project. Probably limited communication until they figure that out.

I saw some of the architectural renderings a couple of months back. If anything like what I saw comes to fruition, I think most of us will be impressed. That said, the quoted price tag for what I saw was more than has been contributed so far. It may take awhile before the university figures out whether it can scare the remaining money out of the Ryans, other donors, corporate box right-holders, or season ticketholders, or whether to scale down the project. Probably limited communication until they figure that out.
Thank you for the intel. Was it modern looking or more like a Minnesota type design?

I tried using her once. She would have nothing of it.
Columbus found her a lot easier, but look at what trouble he is in today. The world today is no place for heroes or old men.
I also think that the stadium is generating little to no interest among even the most rabid fans - we all have bigger and more pressing concerns right now regarding college athletics in general and the 'Cats in particular. If it is built, it will likely be the product of just one family's devotion to the school, college athletics, and their dreams for the future of both.

Wouldn't you rather have that money go to our NIL fund and have a winning team in an old stadium? I would take better players over better stadium.

Wouldn't you rather have that money go to our NIL fund and have a winning team in an old stadium? I would take better players over better stadium.
I would too, but Ryan has become a pretty ratty stadium (literally, I saw one (huge, polish sausage eating size). Maybe the priority should be, win the B1G, finish in the top ten a coupe years, THEN they get the new stadium. After all, we see how that worked for basketball. First priority should be to get NU football back to exciting again.

Columbus found her a lot easier, but look at what trouble he is in today. The world today is no place for heroes or old men.
I also think that the stadium is generating little to no interest among even the most rabid fans - we all have bigger and more pressing concerns right now regarding college athletics in general and the 'Cats in particular. If it is built, it will likely be the product of just one family's devotion to the school, college athletics, and their dreams for the future of both.
It’s vapor at this point. If they do some renderings, it might spark interest. More important would be a few winning seasons, West titles and good bowl wins.

About that price tag, given the large building materials price increases we’ve seen, it might be a moving target.

Reactions: loyolacat
I’m right. It’s a total tear down and rebuild. Heard they are even considering an East-West configuration. Whatever the final outcome; 99% will be pleased. @stpaulcat will be the only exception.
I'm good with total tear down and rebuild. The current stadium isn't modifiable to any reasonable current standard without great effort and expense, so what would be the point--nostalgia? My bottom line is that it reflect the best of NU's recent architectural efforts. I do believe the first priority should be to bring the innovation and excitement of the Barnett, Walker and early Fitz years back to NU football, however.

I'm good with total tear down and rebuild. The current stadium isn't modifiable to any reasonable current standard without great effort and expense, so what would be the point--nostalgia? My bottom line is that it reflect the best of NU's recent architectural efforts. I do believe the first priority should be to bring the innovation and excitement of the Barnett, Walker and early Fitz years back to NU football, however.
I want them to put a giant UFO on top so it looks like Soldier Field.

But seriously, take the money and start an NIL fund. More valuable than a stadium that kids won't come to if they are getting paid 6 figures by others.

But seriously, take the money and start an NIL fund. More valuable than a stadium that kids won't come to if they are getting paid 6 figures by others.
We don't get the 4 and 5 stars now, so who cares about NIL? You think they will start to come to NU if we pay them more than dOSU? Is this like alchemy, turning concrete and steel into player gold?

Actually we need do care about NIL, and our old rust bucket of a stadium is one factor in certain players' decisions--what type of venue do you want to play your home games in.

Last edited:
We don't get the 5 and 5 stars now, so who cares about NIL? You think they will start to come to NU if we pay them more than dOSU? Is this like alchemy, turning concrete and steel and player gold?

Actually we need do care about NIL, and our old rust bucket of a stadium is one factor in certain players' decisions--what typpe of venue do you want to play your home games in.
Don't need to pay more than OSU. Just need to be in the same $ zip code as Flim-Flam Fleck, Bert etc

Here's an NIL thought.

1. Conferences and surviving independents set aside 10% of their TV revenues for a per school player compensation pool. The more popular conferences have more to dole out consistent with their market value as determined by the networks.
2. All first year players have a cap on their portion of the revenue pool. Thereafter, schools can divvy it up any way they want to. Transfers without a degree are subject to the first year cap at the program they transfer to.
3. If the player likes and wants this arrangement, they voluntarily give up any personal NIL rights as part of their LOI process.
4. The players would not be considered employees.

There would be numerous details to iron out. But I like the initial framework for discussion purposes.

GOUNUII.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
We don't get the 5 and 5 stars now, so who cares about NIL? You think they will start to come to NU if we pay them more than dOSU? Is this like alchemy, turning concrete and steel into player gold?

Actually we need do care about NIL, and our old rust bucket of a stadium is one factor in certain players' decisions--what type of venue do you want to play your home games in.

Stop the presses! @stpaulcat has it right!

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
I attended my daughter's graduation from VTech today at Lane Stadium . It is a stadium NU should look at. The East stands have 75 rows of seats that are divided into 25 row segments. The opposite side has 50 rows with luxury boxes and press box above instead of the 3rd 25 row segment

NU could eliminate the top 25 rows and have about the desired capacity . The end zones could be used for other uses - locker rooms,food courts etc
The corridors are spacious and restrooms numerous
The design is simple and construction could be done one side at a time over 2 years
The design is simple and functional rather than an architectural landmark. I found the aluminum bench seating to be tolerable for the 3 hour ceremony(kidding)

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I attended my daughter's graduation from VTech today at Lane Stadium . It is a stadium NU should look at. The East stands have 75 rows of seats that are divided into 25 row segments. The opposite side has 50 rows with luxury boxes and press box above instead of the 3rd 25 row segment

NU could eliminate the top 25 rows and have about the desired capacity . The end zones could be used for other uses - locker rooms,food courts etc
The corridors are spacious and restrooms numerous
The design is simple and construction could be done one side at a time over 2 years
The design is simple and functional rather than an architectural landmark. I found the aluminum bench seating to be tolerable for the 3 hour ceremony(kidding)
Did they play Enter Sandman when the grads walked into the stadium?

Not quite the vibe at a Wildcat game.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT