ADVERTISEMENT

stadium--any news

As my mom used to say, unique cannot take a qualifier. It is either one of a kind or it isn’t. I know. I know. I'm a jerk.
Don’t give it a thought phatcat. I know exactly what you meant. The welding rivets on the spine of a classic Bugatti give the car a bit of uniqueness I just love.

StreamCat and his Mom aren’t entirely wrong. Something is either unique or it isn’t. But having certain unique qualities does indeed give anything a bit of uniqueness. Which I believe was your whole point.

GOUNUII

Reactions: StreamCat
Derrick Gragg in an interview with Evanston Roundtable said it would likely take two years to build the new stadium, meaning two seasons away from Evanston. He mentioned Wrigley, Soldier Field and Sox Park as possible sites for games.

I saw some of the architectural renderings a couple of months back. If anything like what I saw comes to fruition, I think most of us will be impressed. That said, the quoted price tag for what I saw was more than has been contributed so far. It may take awhile before the university figures out whether it can scare the remaining money out of the Ryans, other donors, corporate box right-holders, or season ticketholders, or whether to scale down the project. Probably limited communication until they figure that out.

I'll add a few thoughts.

1) They are keeping the drawings very close to the vest. It is rare for people outside the circle to see them (not doubting you did, just making that assertion). Once they get approval from the board they will circulate.

2) I have not seen the drawings specifically, but from what i was told, it is a full-rebuild and if the design gets approval, it will be next-level amazing (think the leap between ryan fieldhouse and the old facilities).

3) Sounds like money may not be much of an issue anymore, but that is conjecture.

Derrick Gragg in an interview with Evanston Roundtable said it would likely take two years to build the new stadium, meaning two seasons away from Evanston. He mentioned Wrigley, Soldier Field and Sox Park as possible sites for games.
Well, if we go that way, we will have even more than the usual crush of visiting fans, at least for year one. I do like the idea of having public transit to all 3 places, even if a couple of them would be slog for students and North siders.

A ton of students make the slog to Central, it is often packed in their section and one of the things I have seen kids mention as a great college memory nowadays at NU.

Reactions: DaCat
Well, if we go that way, we will have even more than the usual crush of visiting fans, at least for year one. I do like the idea of having public transit to all 3 places, even if a couple of them would be slog for students and North siders.
Given the gun violence, car jackings, and other threats in Chicago these days, very few of us will venture to Soldier Field, much less Sox park. Things must change in a hurry.

Given the gun violence, car jackings, and other threats in Chicago these days, very few of us will venture to Soldier Field, much less Sox park. Things must change in a hurry.

There have been multiple shootings in Evanston this year as well, I assume you will not be venturing into such a dangerous area for NU home games?

Oh come on. If you are that concerned, you should consider not going to games in Evanston either. The spike in gun violence in chicago and across the country is affecting all neighborhoods and suburbs. Evanston is no more safe than Soldier Field or Comiskey. In fact I could argue less so because at those other venues all you have to do is pay for stadium parking and not even venture into the streets/neighborhood. Nothing safer than pulling into Comiskey’s parking lot and walking right into the stadium.

Oh come on. If you are that concerned, you should consider not going to games in Evanston either. The spike in gun violence in chicago and across the country is affecting all neighborhoods and suburbs. Evanston is no more safe than Soldier Field or Comiskey. In fact I could argue less so because at those other venues all you have to do is pay for stadium parking and not even venture into the streets/neighborhood. Nothing safer than pulling into Comiskey’s parking lot and walking right into the stadium.
Funny, I never considered driving, but yeah, that makes sense

I have no issue with attending games at Soldier field during the day.

I assume GECat2 is referring to the issues of commuting to and from Soldier Field after dark. For people using public transportation in particular, not preferable.

Possibly true. But we could have and could avoid a lot of this by increasing donor levels. No reason to have any level below an annual contribution of $500 minimum to sit between the 40's.

This s Northwestern. This is Chicago. This isn't Iowa where they routinely give well over these amounts. Allegedly, we are enlightened, and supposedly have more wealth. Maybe it's all fake news, but we have the fanbase, and we need to start acting like a real athletic department.

The stadium is never full anyway. What difference would it make if we had a minimum contribution for season tickets? We still sell single game tickets, so this isn't a barrier to entry.

Last year's Iowa game I sat next to large NW donors, and some Iowa fans. The Iowa fans seemed to get along well with the wealthy NW donors, and I listened to their conversations, and participated a bit as well. The Iowa fans couldn't believe that the NW donors didn't have to give at least $10K for their seats on the 50.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but we have fans complaining about donations when we might have home games at Soldier Field. We have no security at games, based on last year's embarrassment. ad infinitum...

Spread far the fame of our fair name! Go Cats!

Possibly true. But we could have and could avoid a lot of this by increasing donor levels. No reason to have any level below an annual contribution of $500 minimum to sit between the 40's.

This s Northwestern. This is Chicago. This isn't Iowa where they routinely give well over these amounts. Allegedly, we are enlightened, and supposedly have more wealth. Maybe it's all fake news, but we have the fanbase, and we need to start acting like a real athletic department.

The stadium is never full anyway. What difference would it make if we had a minimum contribution for season tickets? We still sell single game tickets, so this isn't a barrier to entry.

Last year's Iowa game I sat next to large NW donors, and some Iowa fans. The Iowa fans seemed to get along well with the wealthy NW donors, and I listened to their conversations, and participated a bit as well. The Iowa fans couldn't believe that the NW donors didn't have to give at least $10K for their seats on the 50.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but we have fans complaining about donations when we might have home games at Soldier Field. We have no security at games, based on last year's embarrassment. ad infinitum...

Money! That’s the answer!! More money!!!
Money, I tell ya!!!!! Money!!!!!!!

Let the paupers watch peewee. They smell bad anyway.

Money! That’s the answer!! More money!!!
Money, I tell ya!!!!! Money!!!!!!!

Let the paupers watch peewee. They smell bad anyway.

The answer in money, probably less so at Northwestern, but still largely money. It is what it is. Large metro areas are pro sports areas, not college sports areas. And if there is a college team in Chicagoland, we have competition.

All this said, the results have been remarkable given the circumstances. But a percentage of fans and alumni strut around with high minded and enlightened attitudes, and then turn around and bitch about donating money. It's time to recognize this, and it's time to address it.

With respect to paupers watching peewee, see my comment about single game tickets. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Could you clarify your thoughts on this please?

Reactions: StreamCat
The answer in money, probably less so at Northwestern, but still largely money. It is what it is. Large metro areas are pro sports areas, not college sports areas. And if there is a college team in Chicagoland, we have competition.

All this said, the results have been remarkable given the circumstances. But a percentage of fans and alumni strut around with high minded and enlightened attitudes, and then turn around and bitch about donating money. It's time to recognize this, and it's time to address it.

With respect to paupers watching peewee, see my comment about single game tickets. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Could you clarify your thoughts on this please?
Fair point.

Reactions: CriticalObserver
Meh, some spots between the 40's it's $7,500, maybe less. I don't give $10K to Iowa and I sit there. But you're overall point is taken, and is correct if what you are stating about NW is true.

The point is that Iowa fans donate, and donate fairly large as compared to a University with out endowment, our alumni base, and our supposed "enlightenment."

The point is that Iowa fans donate, and donate fairly large as compared to a University with out endowment, our alumni base, and our supposed "enlightenment."
NU supporters have donated plenty. Billions. They just don't prioritize athletics the same way that Iowa fans do.

Because NU is an elite academic institution first.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
NU supporters have donated plenty. Billions. They just don't prioritize athletics the same way that Iowa fans do.

Because NU is an elite academic institution first.
Based on the B1G AAU accreditations, and research, wouldn't you have to agree all B1G schools, yes even tOSU and Michigan, are academic institutions first?

I think the answer is pretty clear regarding academics. What isn't clear is why my beloved Northwestern, in one of the "wealthiest" and most "enlightened" locations in the B1G doesn't financially support athletics?

Enlightened, depending on how one chooses to define this (although we make it a point in Chicago to let everyone know we are) is open to debate. The wealth of Chicagoland as compared to any other B1G school is pretty much not opened to debate, unless Rutgers extends its geographic reach.

I don't get it. I give $1,000, and I'm not wealthy. I'm asking for a minimum contribution for better season tickets of $500.00. Which is fair for the season we play at Soldier Field, whenever that ends up happening. After that, the increases need to be at least 1/2 as much as an area like Iowa gladly and willingly pays.

eta, that lack of security and scene on the field last year was an embarrassment to anyone who claims to have graduated from and love the institution of Northwestern.
You think a bunch of students protesting at a University function is an embarrassment to the University?!?!

How about the University's refusal to divest from Apartheid South Africa in 1978? That stance looks pretty shameful now, WAY worse than some protesters.

I don't want to speak for @CriticalObserver, but that incident reflected poorly on the University. I don't think anyone is not in favor of students rights and ability to protest, but what transpired was a public safety issue, and it was illegal.

I mentioned this previously when this issue came up last fall, as an Iowa graduate, with extensive ties to Northwestern University. Myself and several others reached out directly to Dr. Schapiro, and he did respond personally, and directly to us. I can tell you the University did have conversations with the legal staff at the B1G. We did this quietly as no one wanted any additional bad publicity. So for those that think this wasn't a big deal, I'd suggest you don't know the entire set of facts surrounding this, and that your anecdotal observations about this are incorrect. Left unchecked, a prosecution was going to occur, and that prosecution would have resulted in a tort that NW would have lost. That was going to happen becuase LE and a prosecuting attorney wanted to criminally charge the kid that ran on the field, but not the protestors. It was stunning to me the amount of stupidity involved in that thought process.
I mean, I would like to know all the facts.

• Haha
A ton of students make the slog to Central, it is often packed in their section and one of the things I have seen kids mention as a great college memory nowadays at NU.
The only time I've seen a "ton of students in the student section" is the Freshman Run, and then it essentially becomes 1/3 + filled. The sophomore run last year was over in about 5 minutes.

The only time I've seen a "ton of students in the student section" is the Freshman Run, and then it essentially becomes 1/3 + filled. The sophomore run last year was over in about 5 minutes.

Guess you don’t watch a lot of our games. So many great student crowds, especially at night. Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame come to mind.

It cuts off so suddenly I wonder if that empty part really is the rest of the student section? Might that be the visitors?

Plus that pic is from six years ago.

And is this not overflow? I thought the real students were behind the team on the West Side or was that moved? Cameras always seem to catch young fans there that I always thought were students and band.

3 years ago. Try! Harder!

(The students show up when the team is worth showing up for, which is fine.)
(Trashing student attendance is the dumbest topic.)
(The students will be equally interested in attending at a new stadium.)
(The students will not attend much if/when the Cats spend a season playing home games elsewhere.)

Can we go with 2 years ago since one season had no one in attendance due to the pandemic?

I don't want to speak for @CriticalObserver, but that incident reflected poorly on the University. I don't think anyone is not in favor of students rights and ability to protest, but what transpired was a public safety issue, and it was illegal.

I mentioned this previously when this issue came up last fall, as an Iowa graduate, with extensive ties to Northwestern University. Myself and several others reached out directly to Dr. Schapiro, and he did respond personally, and directly to us. I can tell you the University did have conversations with the legal staff at the B1G. We did this quietly as no one wanted any additional bad publicity. So for those that think this wasn't a big deal, I'd suggest you don't know the entire set of facts surrounding this, and that your anecdotal observations about this are incorrect. Left unchecked, a prosecution was going to occur, and that prosecution would have resulted in a tort that NW would have lost. That was going to happen becuase LE and a prosecuting attorney wanted to criminally charge the kid that ran on the field, but not the protestors. It was stunning to me the amount of stupidity involved in that thought process.

Back to the stadium, and I believe public safety and security are part of this conversation, @CriticalObserver mentioned Iowa's mandatory donations. @CriticalObserver is largely correct. A couple of points, our mandatory donations don't preclude the sale of single game tickets, and as he mentioned, aren't a barrier to entry. All this said, I have no idea what NW wants for a mandatory donation to sit between the 40's, or if there is even a mandatory donation.

Should money be involved? In my view yes. Should money be involved to the extent it is? That's another debate that I think needs to happen. But I need to operate and live inside the constraints of the way things are, not the way I, or others, wish them to be.

Thanks for this well thought out and factual response. You have some interesting observations, and apparently have an audience and connections that most do not have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT