ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Reno Update

Exactly my point. It has stood the test of time.
(I find myself arguing with my favorite posters which may mean that I'm wrong. Nope, that can't be.) 😃
They emphasized key points like environmental impact, noise and light abatement, etc.... I wonder if those priorities affect how old-timey you can make the stadium appear.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if the Ryan Family is committing to around 50+% of the financing regardless of the cost.

Original $480 million Ryan family donation was to be split approximately 50-50 sports/athletics. So that would have been $240 million give or take for the stadium project.

Sounds as if they'll put in another $150-170 million at least to cover the costs.

Regardless, I love the design. Even with 35k fans, this will be much louder given the tiered structure and roof structure over the seats, and obviously in terms of amenities this will be like a pro stadium at that cost.

I was hoping for a 3 tiered structure with enclosure, and that's exactly what this is. Will sound as if there's 50-60k in the current stadium when it's full.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
They emphasized key points like environmental impact, noise and light abatement, etc.... I wonder if those priorities affect how old-timey you can make the stadium appear.
That very well could be. We have officially reached the end of my limited knowledge on the subject.

Reactions: TheC and NUCat320
(I find myself arguing with my favorite posters which may mean that I'm wrong. Nope, that can't be.) 😃
☺️😊☺️😊☺️

Thinking about that MLB stadium boom of the post-Camden era, many did *not* stand the test of time, even though they used the same playbook.

By all accounts, Pittsburgh and San Francisco succeeded. Yankee Stadium was a total replication. Arlington has already been torn down, and Atlanta is a college football stadium - though those may not have truly been ‘retro’ designs.

But Colorado and Cleveland and Seattle and Detroit are just, ehhhhh, at this point.

(And of course, Dodger Stadium and Wrigley and Fenway still lead ‘best stadium’ lists, because, though they may lack proper above-seats concourses, they sure are cool.)

(right back at you)

Anyway, I am just overjoyed at the initial press releases and sketches for NU’s project. NU is aiming to build the best small college stadium in the country.

design-image.png

This feels like the most important image to me; shows how the footprint of the stadium will shift from current to new.

If you look closely you can see it here as well. Opens up the front part as a prk like setting.

Other image worth noting:
fan-image-2.png

Sightlines are going to be the best in college football by a mile. And the aggressiveness of that height along with the canopy will keep the noise in; hard to find any fault with the design that they've gone with...

I can't wait to see games in the new stadium.

It's going to be loud when it's full; the atmosphere will be terrific, unlike anything we've had before.

Last edited:
But Colorado and Cleveland and Seattle and Detroit are just, ehhhhh, at this point.
I'm a big fan of both the Cleveland and Detroit parks, especially Cleveland. I’ve never been to Seattle or Colorado. Missing from your list is the Cardinals’ outstanding effort. (As a Cub fan, it pains me to write that.) To establish my bonafides, I have been to 34 major league parks. This makes me an unassailable expert. 😀

Oh, man,, did I miscount. I've been to 24 MLB parks not 34. So much for my expertise. I can't even count.

So many thoughts...
  • Is there a reduction in parking with this whole green concourse outside? And will that literally be offset by a 12,000 seat reduction?

• This is me only thinking with my wallet...but I feel like I would have rather heard 40,000 instead of 35,000. From two decades of season tickets I know 35K will make it feel like a good packed house, but I'm also leery of how it will create artificial demand and drive NU home game prices up basically for the rest of my life. Boxing out visiting fans isn't free.

• The way I read the media releases, the architecture will trap sound. I couldn't really tell if the implication here was less noise for neighbors or a deliberately louder stadium by design...hoping for the latter, because Autzen Stadium tells us that's a thing.

• Looking at the layout of the inside of the stadium, I would not mind season tickets in the upper deck/corners...since I suspect I will be priced out of my ~30 yard line view from Section 127.

• Seatbacks for all. Is it just me, or are seatbacks sorta the universal indicator that "damn...this is a nice stadium" ? This was singularly the one thing I really wanted to hear with this announcement.

• If anyone finds out when the neighbors meeting takes place please let me know because I'd love to be present with a bowl of popcorn to watch them discuss Ryan Field: the concert venue.

• A part of me genuinely feels bad for everyone involved - including Fitz - that the team is on a mega-ugly three-game skid as this news is released. Obviously a lot goes into something like this at every level, and I'm sure there's disappointment all around that this isn't hitting when NU is 4-0, ranked, and heading to Happy Valley.

Is there a reduction in parking with this whole green concourse outside? And will that literally be offset by a 12,000 seat reduction?
The “tailgating” portion of the website was also interesting. They expect people to “tailgate” the way the University tells them to, at the plaza and not behind their cars.

Does anyone think that stadium can be built in two years? I'm guessing the Cats play in their temporary home for three seasons.

The “tailgating” portion of the website was also interesting. They expect people to “tailgate” the way the University tells them to, at the plaza and not behind their cars.
I agree...I'm just really hopeful we keep the agreement with the golf course. I've tailgated in the south golf lot since that option became available and think its great. Any reduction in parking that could be disproportionate to seating reductions is worrisome.

I agree...I'm just really hopeful we keep the agreement with the golf course. I've tailgated in the south golf lot since that option became available and think its great.

I will watch with interest to see if the golf course becomes the “priority points “ lot (though I don’t know how that works in inclement weather) and everyone else gets pushed further towards the lake. The University can also exert control by managing the opening of the lot (how many hours prior to game time) to also reduce traditional tailgating.

I will watch with interest to see if the golf course becomes the “priority points “ lot (though I don’t know how that works in inclement weather) and everyone else gets pushed further towards the lake. The University can also exert control by managing the opening of the lot (how many hours prior to game time) to also reduce traditional tailgating.
From the renderings, does it look like the west lot is becoming the plaza?

It just seems to be that the West Lot is considered sacred ground by tailgaters. I mean...change is change...but it seems implausible that they'd wipe out that entire lot (right?)

Reactions: StreamCat
Does anyone think that stadium can be built in two years? I'm guessing the Cats play in their temporary home for three seasons.
You actually get nearly 3 years to build it if you start right after the 2023 season ends and open it in 2026.

That's December 2023 to August 2026 build time.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
So many thoughts...

• The way I read the media releases, the architecture will trap sound. I couldn't really tell if the implication here was less noise for neighbors or a deliberately louder stadium by design...hoping for the latter, because Autzen Stadium tells us that's a thing.
Yeah Autzen is always the comparison given that stadium gets incredibly loud for just having 55k people.

I think this new Ryan Field design should be even louder per person than Autzen. The steepness/closeness of those stands and the canopy-style roof should make this as loud as a big bowl with near 50-75% more people.

It will sound like a much bigger place when this stadium has an excited crowd in it. That's a great thing for atmosphere.

It's a win-win for everyone; less noise/light pollution outside and more noise contained inside for the atmosphere.

Oh, crap.

The biggest issue only lightly touched on here is what it’s going to cost us the most dire hard fans.
I’ve had season tix for 26 years and am only able to go to maybe one game a year. I’m in no position to write 1000, 2500, 5000 check to buy tickets.
If tix prices go from 50 to 100 for a big ten game fine. That also means the secondary market goes up as well.

my gut tells me this will be like the new baseball stadiums. Great sales in the first few years and then if the team doesn’t perform it’s empty.

you’ll have two years where all the big ten west visitors will have their fans wanting to check it out.

I can’t imagine that more than 5% of season tix holders are not alums.

The biggest issue only lightly touched on here is what it’s going to cost us the most dire hard fans.
I’ve had season tix for 26 years and am only able to go to maybe one game a year. I’m in no position to write 1000, 2500, 5000 check to buy tickets.
If tix prices go from 50 to 100 for a big ten game fine. That also means the secondary market goes up as well.

my gut tells me this will be like the new baseball stadiums. Great sales in the first few years and then if the team doesn’t perform it’s empty.

you’ll have two years where all the big ten west visitors will have their fans wanting to check it out.

I feel pretty certain that there will be a priority points/booster fee associated with buying season tickets. My guess is between $2k - $3k. You are correct, the ticket prices will also increase. It won't be worse it to me to have season tickets.

Counting down until the first B10 school publicly raises the notion that Big Ten member payouts should be tiered.
I do not believe the gate revenues are part of the BTN media rights packages. Frankly, a smaller, state-of-the-art stadium full of 30K screaming (OK, cheering) NU fans is going to show on TV a lot better than Dyche.

The stadium design is a winner.

I do not believe the gate revenues are part of the BTN media rights packages. Frankly, a smaller, state-of-the-art stadium full of 30K screaming (OK, cheering) NU fans is going to show on TV a lot better than Dyche.

The stadium design is a winner.
That is correct, but there is a revenue sharing aspect for gate in the Big Ten.

It's a % of conference game ticket sales is all combined into one pot and split among all the schools equally.

Effectively ends up as a transfer from Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State/Nebraska/Wisconsin/Iowa/Michigan State to the rest of the schools.

Around a million dollars per school moves to the lower schools in terms of gate.

(This stadium rebuild will likely help on that front given ticket prices should more than compensate for any lost attendance).

[Also yes, I agree the design is the ultimate win win. Huge improvement to atmosphere of games/how it looks on TV as well as comfort.]

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Camden Yards is the best baseball stadium, I have been in. Sitting in the right field bleachers during batting practice was mesmerizing, watching player after player ripping line drives emphasized how good these players are.
The food was spectacular-Boog Powell's BBQ on the right field terrace or crabcake sandwiches delivered to your club seat could not be beat.
I am happy to see the Orioles showing signs of life because that stadium should be full. I remember how disappointed I was when the owners of the new Nationals Park stated it would not be another Camden Yards-unfortunately they were right

Reactions: StreamCat
Counting down until the first B10 school publicly raises the notion that Big Ten member payouts should be tiered.
I believe that if you check the TV and interest stats you will find NU ranked 34th (?) in those important TV stats. Much higher than some of our B1G competitors. ???

Reactions: drewjin
I remember reading that Canal Shores was going to undergo a renovation/restoration funded by private entities (Kemper Sports). If that occurs, I doubt the golf lots will be available afterwards, once the original Tom Bendelow design is modernized

Last edited:
I remember reading that Canal Shores was going to undergo a renovation/restoration funded by private entities (Kemper Sports). If that occurs, I doubt the golf lots will be available afterwards, once the original Tom Bendelow design is modernized
Thanks for mentioning this...just found an article referencing the management transition. Notes that about 20% of the course's revenue comes from "other sources" and specifically mentions football parking:

The only area that disappoints me is the lack of input from the fans from rival schools. Considering they will be the primary occupants on game day... There needs to be accommodations for the various reds, black, yellow, orange, and blues that will present. We have to be better hosts and that this will be addressed in the updated renderings.

The only area that disappoints me is the lack of input from the fans from rival schools. Considering they will be the primary occupants on game day... There needs to be accommodations for the various reds, black, yellow, orange, and blues that will present. We have to be better hosts and that this will be addressed in the updated renderings.
If it makes them feel better, they will be rendering us into tiny pieces

Edit, sorry for the offal joke

Reactions: NUCat320

Personally I’m not going to get all worked up about reassigning seats and donation minimums yet, even though I may ultimately be affected.
Why? 1) It’s down the road a bit.
2) I’ve done what I can for now. A decade or so ago I participated in a focus group that informed the earliest stages of planning for the new W-R and the new Ryan Field. Much of the discussion was obviously intended to ascertain the level of demand for premium seating. Recently, I participated in the survey regarding, among other things, how elastic my willingness to pay for seats in the new Ryan Field. (Not very elastic)
3) While it’s both human nature and institutional nature to use the new stadium to jack up donation requirements and seat prices when a new facility opens, they have a lot of information about the level of demand for our team’s games. For one thing, a sellout now requires 12K fewer than before, for example.
4) They have the recent experience with W-R to deal with. That’s a much smaller scale, but they know very well how things went with STH retention with the reseating and donation requirements.
5) The new stadium will be a source of excitement - but one that follows not one year away at Alumni Hall or Rosemont, but two consecutive years of STH dislocation.

My bottom line is that financially I can’t pony up a lot of extra bucks to keep my great seats, and I’m not inclined to pay the same for significantly worse seats. I may not be typical, but I’m not alone. The supply of loyal Cat fans isn’t infinite. It’ll be NU’s decision how many loyal fans they want to risk. It may not go my way but in any event I can wait to find out.

They make a point about it being the most bicycle friendly stadium. Wonder how many folks will be cycling to the games in November, beside @HungryJack......
If they are adding changing rooms for cyclists then I will be cycling to the games in November. I probably already do.

Reactions: drewjin
Yeah Autzen is always the comparison given that stadium gets incredibly loud for just having 55k people.
The comments about Autzen are interesting since my reaction to the drawing of the interior was to Hayward Field, across the river from Autzen. Have not been to Autzen but I have been to Hayward and it is very fan friendly and very loud even with a capacity of less than half new Ryan. If Hayward was part of the inspiration that's a good thing.

Reactions: zeek55
As to the really cool rendering from inside the stadium with three decks, I have a question: Are the 35,000 people filling the stadium the fattest 35,000 people of all time? Because, my goodness, that looks like a 60K-65K stadium, not 35,000. Go ‘Cats!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT