ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Reno Update

How did we get here? A short architectural history. It all started with the Greeks (Classical Architecture), and then the Romans (Classical with arches), and then the French (Gothic-Roman with pointed arches). All this was upended by the Germans (The Bauhaus and Mies van der Rohe) and the French (Le Corbusier), the early modernists. So then, crossing the Atlantic to America (for those Architects who were not lost on the Titanic). we have H.H. Richardson in Boston, who revived Romanesque (masonry or stone arches), Danial Burnham in Chicago who practiced the Beaux Art style, which was a kind of classical mixed with Romanesque with early modernism, followed by Louis Sullivan, sometimes called the father of modernism because of the evolution of the Chicago style (more on that shortly). He pioneered the steel frame (very important, as that was the basis for skyscrapers). Skip back to the east coast, there was Paul Phillipe Cret (French) who practiced (and taught) the Beaux Art style in Philadelphia (this is about the same time as these other guys in the late 19th and early 20th centuries), and was the teacher of Louis Kahn (who some say was the father of post modernism, and was my teacher and who practiced in kind of a Brutalist style, but transcended that). Back to Chicago and Mies--he popularized the curtain wall (from Sullivan and the steel frame). The curtain wall is basically an exterior wall hung on the outside of a steel frame, and was the basis for the architecture of the IIT (Chicago) school, of highly rational rectangular, rigid steel frame, curtain wall architecture (Mies). There was of course FLWright who created his own thing and somehow plays into this. The architecture of Richardson, Burnham, and to an extent Sullivan and Wright (and then of course Kahn) was based on a solid exterior masonry and/or concrete wall which supported itself and also a part of the building itself. Mies and IIT developed the curtain wall, in which that was not the case. Then came Post modernism, which is another story, which combines whatever the heck you want to combine, much or most of it bad (Graves, Philip Johnson to a degree) and some good (Kahn, Venturi, Moore, Gehry). Also, in the mid-twentieth Century, out of classicism and modernism evolved Brutalism (or new Brutalism), which was a rational exposed concrete or concrete and masonry exterior, which we see a lot of in this country in the late 1960's and 1970's .

So, what about stadiums? I like to look at Franklin Field in Philadelphia as one of the best examples of late 19th-early 20th century Romanesque stadium architecture, and was the model for many of the early football stadiums around the country. Thick exterior walls and mostly masonry and concrete construction. Dyche kind of evolved from this, but has a post-modern eclecticism, for when it was built. Certainly not modern, but not classical either, and not much to do with the Chicago Style (keep in mind historically, there is both the rational, technological and then FLW and where he came from). Still mostly reinforced concrete construction. Stadiums have been evolving into mostly steel frame construction, with concrete floors. Camden Yards, which someone mentioned, is somewhere in the middle between past and now. Steel frame with concrete construction, but and exterior facade that is separate from this, Post-Modern facade for sure, a bit of classical, a bit of Brutalist, a bit fake post-modern detailing, but separate outside of the stadium structure itself. Then there is the Huntington Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, which is sort of a compressed, condensed version of Camden Yards, very functional and user friendly, but looks like much suburban commercial architecture (if you can call it that) today.

Let's go to Asia and the Chinese National Stadium. Beautiful, simple (yet complex) architecture, which some liken to a ball of yarn, apparently held up by an elaborate exterior steel frame structure, which is in part curtain wall, and which hearkens back to Matthew Nowicki's Dortan Arena in Raleigh, N.C. (whose wife and partner was also one of my teachers).

So, what are the roots of the new proposed NU stadium? Steel frame and simple modified/partial curtain wall construction (Sullivan and Mies). Exterior facade, apparently applied brick, with a nod to Sullivan and Wright, a touch of Art-Deco and Nowicki and his hyperbolic-paraboloid roof, even though this isn't). No fake Brutalism, classicisism or post-modern affectations. It is what it is, very straight forward. The interior appears to be condensed, with intense fan focus on the field. I believe these guys know what they are doing.

Last edited:
How did we get here? A short architectural history. It all started with the Greeks (Classical Architecture), and then the Romans (Classical with arches), and then the French (Gothic-Roman with pointed arches). All this was upended by the Germans (The Bauhaus and Mies van der Rohe) and the French (Le Corbusier), the early modernists. So then, crossing the Atlantic to America (for those Architects who were not lost on the Titanic). we have H.H. Richardson in Boston, who revived Romanesque (masonry or stone arches), Danial Burnham in Chicago who practiced the Beaux Art style, which was a kind of classical mixed with Romanesque with early modernism, followed by Louis Sullivan, sometimes called the father of modernism because of the evolution of the Chicago style (more on that shortly). He pioneered the steel frame (very important, as that was the basis for skyscrapers). Skip back to the east coast, there was Paul Phillipe Cret (French) who practiced (and taught) the Beaux Art style in Philadelphia (this is about the same time as these other guys in the late 19th and early 20th centuries), and was the teacher of Louis Kahn (who some say was the father of post modernism, and was my teacher and who practiced in kind of a Brutalist style, but transcended that). Back to Chicago and Mies--he popularized the curtain wall (from Sullivan and the steel frame). The curtain wall is basically an exterior wall hung on the outside of a steel frame, and was the basis for the architecture of the IIT (Chicago) school, of highly rational rectangular, rigid steel frame, curtain wall architecture (Mies). There was of course FLWright who created his own thing and somehow plays into this. The architecture of Richardson, Burnham, and to an extent Sullivan and Wright (and then of course Kahn) was based on a solid exterior masonry and/or concrete wall which supported itself and also a part of the building itself. Mies and IIT developed the curtain wall, in which that was not the case. Then came Post modernism, which is another story, which combines whatever the heck you want to combine, much or most of it bad (Graves, Philip Johnson to a degree) and some good (Kahn, Venturi, Moore, Gehry). Also, in the mid-twentieth Century, out of classicism and modernism evolved Brutalism (or new Brutalism), which was a rational exposed concrete or concrete and masonry exterior, which we see a lot of in this country in the late 1960's and 1970's .

So, what about stadiums? I like to look at Franklin Field in Philadelphia as one of the best examples of late 19th-early 20th century Romanesque stadium architecture, and was the model for many of the early football stadiums around the country. Thick exterior walls and mostly masonry and concrete construction. Dyche kind of evolved from this, but has a post-modern eclecticism, for when it was built. Certainly not modern, but not classical either, and not much to do with the Chicago Style (keep in mind historically, there is both the rational, technological and then FLW and where he came from). Still mostly reinforced concrete construction. Stadiums have been evolving into mostly steel frame construction, with concrete floors. Camden Yards, which someone mentioned, is somewhere in the middle between past and now. Steel frame with concrete construction, but and exterior facade that is separate from this, Post-Modern facade for sure, a bit of classical, a bit of Brutalist, a bit fake post-modern detailing, but separate outside of the stadium structure itself. Then there is the Huntington Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, which is sort of a compressed, condensed version of Camden Yards, very functional and user friendly, but looks like much suburban commercial architecture (if you can call it that) today.

Let's go to Asia and the Chinese National Stadium. Beautiful, simple (yet complex) architecture, which some liken to a ball of yarn, apparently held up by an elaborate exterior steel frame structure, which is in part curtain wall, and which hearkens back to Matthew Nowicki's Dortan Arena in Raleigh, N.C. (whose wife and partner was also one of my teachers).

So, what are the roots of the new proposed NU stadium? Steel frame and simple modified/partial curtain wall construction (Sullivan and Mies). Exterior facade, apparently applied brick, with a nod to Sullivan and Wright, a touch of Art-Deco and Nowicki and his hyperbolic-paraboloid roof, even though this isn't). No fake Brutalism, classicisism or post-modern affectations. It is what it is, very straight forward. The interior appears to be condensed, with intense fan focus on the field. I believe these guys know what they are doing.
Awesome post.

Reactions: stpaulcat

Did you say a short architectural history?

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
As to the really cool rendering from inside the stadium with three decks, I have a question: Are the 35,000 people filling the stadium the fattest 35,000 people of all time? Because, my goodness, that looks like a 60K-65K stadium, not 35,000. Go ‘Cats!!
Blame it on the high fructose corn syrup.

Sounds very familiar to San Diego State’s new Snapdragon Stadium which has similar 35k capacity. I hope to visit soon. Besides hosting football games for SDSU it just had a sellout crowd for womens pro soccer. There is room on the former site of Qualcomm Stadium to build college dorms and classrooms to make it an extension of the main campus a few trolley stops away.

Personally I’m not going to get all worked up about reassigning seats and donation minimums yet, even though I may ultimately be affected.
Why? 1) It’s down the road a bit.
2) I’ve done what I can for now. A decade or so ago I participated in a focus group that informed the earliest stages of planning for the new W-R and the new Ryan Field. Much of the discussion was obviously intended to ascertain the level of demand for premium seating. Recently, I participated in the survey regarding, among other things, how elastic my willingness to pay for seats in the new Ryan Field. (Not very elastic)
3) While it’s both human nature and institutional nature to use the new stadium to jack up donation requirements and seat prices when a new facility opens, they have a lot of information about the level of demand for our team’s games. For one thing, a sellout now requires 12K fewer than before, for example.
4) They have the recent experience with W-R to deal with. That’s a much smaller scale, but they know very well how things went with STH retention with the reseating and donation requirements.
5) The new stadium will be a source of excitement - but one that follows not one year away at Alumni Hall or Rosemont, but two consecutive years of STH dislocation.

My bottom line is that financially I can’t pony up a lot of extra bucks to keep my great seats, and I’m not inclined to pay the same for significantly worse seats. I may not be typical, but I’m not alone. The supply of loyal Cat fans isn’t infinite. It’ll be NU’s decision how many loyal fans they want to risk. It may not go my way but in any event I can wait to find out.
The one thing I will point out is that even the "worst seats" in this rebuilt stadium are likely to be a monumental upgrade compared to some of even the decent to good seats in current Ryan Field.

You're going to be relatively close to the field in every one of the 35,000 seats. So there really won't be a bad seat in the house based on the way this design looks. A steeply vertical structure where nearly all seats are within 100-150 feet of the field, and it appears that the sightlines will be good from every angle.

Obviously this thing is a long way from completion, but it's hard to see a negative as far as seating goes.

I hope that there isn't a scenario where somebody has to give up current great seats for significantly worse. I'd hope that the lessons of WR have been learned and won't be repeated.

Last edited:
The one thing I will point out is that even the "worst seats" in this rebuilt stadium are likely to be a monumental upgrade compared to some of even the decent to good seats in current Ryan Field.

You're going to be relatively close to the field in every one of the 35,000 seats. So there really won't be a bad seat in the house based on the way this design looks. A steeply vertical structure where nearly all seats are within 100-150 feet of the field, and it appears that the sightlines will be good from every angle.

Obviously this thing is a long way from completion, but it's hard to see a negative as far as seating goes.

I hope that there isn't a scenario where somebody has to give up current great seats for significantly worse. I'd hope that the lessons of WR have been learned and won't be repeated.
negative on seating = To dam small!

Reactions: drewjin

Great architectural summary.

The Franklin Field that we know today is entirely an early 20's creation. The old bleachers were razed for rebuilding in 1922. The second deck went up later that decade. Although it was created past the heyday of the Romanesque Revival, it is an amazing example of the genre.

Edit on Huntington Bank Stadium,--I believe it is reinforced concrete with a brick facade. Most likely the interior and even exterior walls are steel studs, but not sure, so it is not a curtain wall construction, like it seems the new Ryan may be (at least it appears to be). It would be nice if they would publish some construction details. Interesting new soccer stadium in St. Paul, a steel frame, wrapped in a flexible rain screen, I believe of some kind of metal mesh (that god forbid won't rust). This may be the way of the future for stadiums that don't need to be weatherized for all year indoor use. Only certain parts of Ryan need to be weatherized--offices, bathrooms, vendors, etc.

Last edited:
Great architectural summary.

The Franklin Field that we know today is entirely an early 20's creation. The old bleachers were razed for rebuilding in 1922. The second deck went up later that decade. Although it was created past the heyday of the Romanesque Revival, it is an amazing example of the genre.
I loved Franklin Field. If NU were to recreate that (updated), I would not be disappointed, but we build differently now. I mostly attended soccer games, and played handball deep in its recesses. And the Harvard game, which we won at least one of those years.

Last edited:
☺️😊☺️😊☺️

Thinking about that MLB stadium boom of the post-Camden era, many did *not* stand the test of time, even though they used the same playbook.

By all accounts, Pittsburgh and San Francisco succeeded. Yankee Stadium was a total replication. Arlington has already been torn down, and Atlanta is a college football stadium - though those may not have truly been ‘retro’ designs.

But Colorado and Cleveland and Seattle and Detroit are just, ehhhhh, at this point.

(And of course, Dodger Stadium and Wrigley and Fenway still lead ‘best stadium’ lists, because, though they may lack proper above-seats concourses, they sure are cool.)

(right back at you)

Anyway, I am just overjoyed at the initial press releases and sketches for NU’s project. NU is aiming to build the best small college stadium in the country.
The school in Pennsylvania May host more than a 100 K but looks like an erector set.

I loved Franklin Field. If NU were to recreate that (updated), I would not be disappointed, but we build differently now. I mostly attended soccer games, and played handball deep in its recesses. And the Harvard game, which we won most years.
The Eagles moved from Shibe/Connie Mack to Franklin Field around 1960. You can see the stadium with its' arches from the Amtrak lines now. I bet when StPC was there the Harvard v Penn games were sellouts

The Eagles moved from Shibe/Connie Mack to Franklin Field around 1960. You can see the stadium with its' arches from the Amtrak lines now. I bet when StPC was there the Harvard v Penn games were sellouts
The Eagles were in Franklin Field from 1958-1971. I was at Penn from 1970-74. I was wrong, Penn beat Harvard only once during that period (and I was there)--Penn's dominance didn't begin until the 1980's.

The best new baseball stadiums are retro. I wanted a retro exterior. (Cue the Rolling Stones: You can’t always get what you want.)

Retro stadiums have anchors in tradition which lend staying power. I wanted architectural nods to Dyche Stadium with arches, towers, etc.

So many fads in architecture now appear downright ugly, Brutalism being the prime example. As a matter of fact, the new exterior reminds me of Brutalism.

I know my whining makes me seem unhappy. I'm not. I love the inside and much of what they are doing outside is outstanding.
You mean like the UFO that landed on Soldier Field a while back? (Ack ack ACK!)

Reactions: StreamCat
I loved Franklin Field. If NU were to recreate that (updated), I would not be disappointed, but we build differently now. I mostly attended soccer games, and played handball deep in its recesses. And the Harvard game, which we won most years.
Handball deep in the recesses. Pretty damn cool. They definitely aren't building them like that these days. In a tangential note, Penn has their first 3-0 start in 20 years.

I don't love the exterior aesthetic. It looks a little blah, but the images of the inside are hard to not think are pretty fantastic appearing. I still think there should be bleachers with seat backs instead of chairs throughout, but beggars can't be choosers.

The fact they have committed to making it very accessible to those with disabilities make me think it would be a wonderful venue for something like the Special Olympics, but it doesn't appear like they will have the size to be able to also have a track in there. It would probably push the seats back further.

I do think the video screen needs to be larger (like Michigan State's), and one in both end zones. :)

I am glad they released the images and new because it gives us fans something to look forward to instead of the actual football games. I have been pretty checked out for the last week or two.

Would like to see capacity closer to 40k (say, 38k) or, have the flexibility to add some seats later on.

Reactions: drewjin
They still haven’t submitted anything to City of Evanston Departments and there must still be Evanston initiated Public Hearings, and not NU or 7th Ward orchestrated meetings.

NU hopes to submit the necessary documents to the City sometime in November or December in order to secure final approval.

There are Wilmette & Evanston factions who are and will continue to fight this. In addition, most of this City Council is new and worse than the past members.

Our City Council couldn’t open an umbrella. With budget cuts coming with open staff positions not being filled and a proposed 4% property tax increase in Evanston, they’d be wise to approve this. If not some of these council members might be voted out

I’d be shocked if Mayor Piss, I mean Bliss and the City Council and Liquor Commission approve General Beer Sales during games to the fan base in the stadium

Looking at the renderings, makes me wonder whether the playing surface is large enough to host international soccer, college lacrosse playoffs or international rugby. These are events that a 35K stadium would be ideal for. I can't imagine that the design would not accommodate these other sports
FWIW- the new San Diego State Snapdragon Stadium in Mission Valley (it replaced the old stadium that was home of the Chargers) is regularly selling out for womens pro soccer matches. Capacity at this new stadium is also around 35k.

FWIW- the new San Diego State Snapdragon Stadium in Mission Valley (it replaced the old stadium that was home of the Chargers) is regularly selling out for womens pro soccer matches. Capacity at this new stadium is also around 35k.
That sounds wayore interesting than our moribund team. I lime Women's soccer.

I still hope we find a way to seat 50k. Anything less is a joke and not worthy of a Big Ten team. Let alone "Chicago's" Big Ten team.

Yeah, we are Chicago's Big Ten team! Good luck getting a ticket!

What is so off with this take? You think it makes sense to make a stadium smaller than some of our recent attendance averages? You don't think seating wise, maybe it should be a little bit aspirational?

I am an Islanders fan and they just built a new stadium. The old one seated just under 15k and was LOUD and also unpretentious. The new stadium has many more suites, lounges, VIP seating areas which sell for big bucks and have big seats - but that also means less bodies screaming. It also attracts a different crowd. If ticket prices are high, you get the corporate crowd and an older "Down in front: crowd.

More seats at lower prices means a livelier crowd, more boisterous and fun.

This is a terrible idea, there is no way we should have less than 50k seats, in fact that should be the absolute minimum.

Let's actually BE Chicago's Big Ten team instead of that just being a meaningless slogan.

First the people of Chicago can't get into our school (admission standards), now we will outprice them from our football games!

The only update I’m interested in is where next year’s games will be played and what impact skipping that year as a STH will have in seat placement for the new season? If demolition begins end of 2023 season…same question for the following year.

For the new hoops arena they didn’t require STHs to take the year at Allstate (though I did).

The only update I’m interested in is where next year’s games will be played and what impact skipping that year as a STH will have in seat placement for the new season? If demolition begins end of 2023 season…same question for the following year.

For the new hoops arena they didn’t require STHs to take the year at Allstate (though I did).
Quite honestly, I am not worried about it. If they are decent, I will go watch them anywhere in the Chicago area. That being said, the actual price for tickets is so reasonable, it is just basically a donation if I don't go.

I personally think Seat Geek Stadium in Bridgeview would be great, but I think I am in the minority on that one. I would rather see that place rocking with Purple and White, than a mostly empty Soldier Field, or bad fits in a baseball stadium.

I hope the new stadium opens in 2026. My girls will be five, and it will be great to take them to games there since the first season it is open. I don't think any younger than five could handle a game for any appreciable amount of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT