ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford QB KJ in transfer portal

Grad transfer with immediate eligibility?

Question is, would a grad transfer QB want to go here if our ideal plan/hope is for Hunter to actually fulfill his potential here and start the next 2 years.

Or Maybe Costello would see the value in getting say a Kellogg master’s regardless.

Grad transfer with immediate eligibility?

Question is, would a grad transfer QB want to go here if our ideal plan/hope is for Hunter to actually fulfill his potential here and start the next 2 years.

Or Maybe Costello would see the value in getting say a Kellogg master’s regardless.

Are you kidding? Based on how our QBs played this year, any competent grad transfer QB should be licking his chops at the thought of coming to NU and nobody at NU should have any predetermined plans about who is going to play QB next year. It’s an open competition and the best player will play.

Well, that would certainly wouldn't help Hunter's confidence. I say give him and Marty (and Green?) a chance and if that doesn't work out, then look into the transfer portal next year.

No frickin way. Feelings be damned. If any of the incumbent QBs want to play, then beat out the competition. NU should take no chances that this year’s QB debacle repeats itself.

No frickin way. Feelings be damned. If any of the incumbent QBs want to play, then beat out the competition. NU should take no chances that this year’s QB debacle repeats itself.
Well, the coaches must have a pretty good idea what the situation is for next year, so as to make a decision if Costello is even a possibility. I suppose it is better to have two very good QB's than one marginal one if the odds of HJ panning out are not great. Then there is Marty who acquitted himself very well this year. My point was that after what HJ went through this year (and we don't really know what that was), if he still has a strong upside, don't f*** with that and build his confidence.

Well, the coaches must have a pretty good idea what the situation is for next year, so as to make a decision if Costello is even a possibility. I suppose it is better to have two very good QB's than one marginal one if the odds of HJ panning out are not great. Then there is Marty who acquitted himself very well this year. My point was that after what HJ went through this year (and we don't really know what that was), if he still has a strong upside, don't f*** with that and build his confidence.

You think the coaches have a pretty good idea what the situation is for next year based on what? The only thing the coaches should be certain of is that the QB play this year was unacceptable and that they can’t count on any of the guys in the room being good enough to do the job. They have to bring in more competition at the position.

You think the coaches have a pretty good idea what the situation is for next year based on what? The only thing the coaches should be certain of is that the QB play this year was unacceptable and that they can’t count on any of the guys in the room being good enough to do the job. They have to bring in more competition at the position.
If the coaches don't have a handle on where their QB's are, we have bigger problems than suspected. If you think I mean they now know who next year's QB will be, that is not correct. However, they must know where HJ is and what he is capable of. If they don't, they are not coaches. If they think they need to bring in more competition, then that's what they will do.

I personally haven't been impressed with Costello. I say we move on.

If the coaches don't have a handle on where their QB's are, we have bigger problems than suspected. If you think I mean they now know who next year's QB will be, that is not correct. However, they must know where HJ is and what he is capable of. If they don't, they are not coaches. If they think they need to bring in more competition, then that's what they will do.

Well, I remember hearing from Fitz how great the QB room looked last year. Must have looked good studying film because they all were different degrees of bad to very bad. And the one guy who looked OK(Marty) was 4th string at the beginning of the year and couldn't play before Smith until got hurt... even though Smith is at best a solid hiighschool QB. So not sure what they were looking at.

We HAVE to get at least high impact and young transfer and hopefully even a Grad transfer to add to the mix. And if it's Green...that will not do much to improve the talent in the room. Count me as not being impressed with him and his zero career TD passes.

I hated Mick and his offense, but our problems with a lack of speed at wideout, having nobody who plays tightend worth throwing the ball to are not going to get that much better. And our 2 best RB's were a converted WR and a converted Safety.

I do think barring injury, our Ol will continue to improve, But QB is easily the most important player on any team. And right now its a mess at NU for a lot of reasons.

If Costello is healthy and a very mobile quarterback that can let his legs cover what will likely be a less than perfect offense for at least a third of the season, then, yeah, great addition. If not, pass. Green - move on. New offense so no advantage, limited mobility, short arm, only one year left, recovering from injury.

All the coaches or any of us know about our returning QBs is that none of them were able to prove that they were capable of being winning Big Ten starting QBs last season when given the chance. To assume any of them will prove otherwise next season just through the passage of time or because of an OC change would be a very imprudent assumption on the part of our coaching staff.

All the coaches or any of us know about our returning QBs is that none of them were able to prove that they were capable of being winning Big Ten starting QBs last season when given the chance. To assume any of them will prove otherwise next season just through the passage of time or because of an OC change would be a very imprudent assumption on the part of our coaching staff.
I haven’t seen a realistic alternative to this so far. Maybe Brown, but whatever NU does don't waste a ship on a project.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Last season. Next year is a new season. You are the one who wanted to retain McCall, in which case where would we be?

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Last season. Next year is a new season. You are the one who wanted to retain McCall, in which case where would we be?

We would be exactly where we are now. No certainty regarding the QB position with a need to bring in more competition if you want to increase your chances of avoiding a repeat of last season's debacle.

I haven’t seen a realistic alternative to this so far. Maybe Brown, but whatever NU does don't waste a ship on a project.

Brown would be a great pickup. I am a proponent. There are other potential transfers in the portal that should be explored. Sticking with the status quo is a very risky proposition in my opinion. We need to bring in more competition at the position if we want to be more confident that whoever wins the competition will be good enough to win Big Ten games next year.

Brown would be a great pickup. I am a proponent. There are other potential transfers in the portal that should be explored. Sticking with the status quo is a very risky proposition in my opinion. We need to bring in more competition at the position if we want to be more confident that whoever wins the competition will be good enough to win Big Ten games next year.
A great pick-up who has ha a couple major injuries?

A great pick-up who has ha a couple major injuries?

He had a knee injury last year. An injury that has become common in football and one that many players have come back from without a problem. So yes, he is a proven successful multi year starter in a P5 conference that happens to know the terminology and the offense that NU will be implementing this off season. I would call that a great one year pick up relative to staying put.

If Costello is healthy and a very mobile quarterback that can let his legs cover what will likely be a less than perfect offense for at least a third of the season, then, yeah, great addition. If not, pass. Green - move on. New offense so no advantage, limited mobility, short arm, only one year left, recovering from injury.
Hunter may be all big ten next year

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I agree that we need something added at the QB position. Brown is a good player, but that doesn’t solve the need to add a younger QB to the room. If we don’t get a Freshman for next season, NU would basically go 3 seasons without a QB (assumes Whittaker changes positions). That will be a problem. We start looking like the Fighting Lovie’s of a couple seasons ago. Maybe there is a transfer with 3 years left out there that NU can focus on.

This is not a criticism of the above but Joe Burrow completed 56% of his passes last year but with a change in OC he completed 76% this year. Same QB, new OC/system and tremendous increase in productivity. Let's hope that NU's offense takes the same kind of leap next year.

I hope McGowan stays at RB next year and is incorporated into the passing game. He has to touch the ball 20 times a game. I have no idea of the nature of his injury but if he is fully recovered, I hope Coach B does indeed utilize his playmakers

Well, I remember hearing from Fitz how great the QB room looked last year. Must have looked good studying film because they all were different degrees of bad to very bad. And the one guy who looked OK(Marty) was 4th string at the beginning of the year and couldn't play before Smith until got hurt... even though Smith is at best a solid hiighschool QB. So not sure what they were looking at.

We HAVE to get at least high impact and young transfer and hopefully even a Grad transfer to add to the mix. And if it's Green...that will not do much to improve the talent in the room. Count me as not being impressed with him and his zero career TD passes.

I hated Mick and his offense, but our problems with a lack of speed at wideout, having nobody who plays tightend worth throwing the ball to are not going to get that much better. And our 2 best RB's were a converted WR and a converted Safety.

I do think barring injury, our Ol will continue to improve, But QB is easily the most important player on any team. And right now its a mess at NU for a lot of reasons.

Assuming Bajakian is going to implement the offense he has had in the last 4-5 years, getting TEs from the portal may be a higher priority than a QB.

We would be exactly where we are now. No certainty regarding the QB position with a need to bring in more competition if you want to increase your chances of avoiding a repeat of last season's debacle.

...except we would still have a QB coach who thought it was a good idea to keep trotting Aidan Smith out there against B1G competition.

This is not a criticism of the above but Joe Burrow completed 56% of his passes last year but with a change in OC he completed 76% this year. Same QB, new OC/system and tremendous increase in productivity. Let's hope that NU's offense takes the same kind of leap next year.

I hope McGowan stays at RB next year and is incorporated into the passing game. He has to touch the ball 20 times a game. I have no idea of the nature of his injury but if he is fully recovered, I hope Coach B does indeed utilize his playmakers

In regards to McGowan...I urge you to take a listen to the most recent West Lot Pirates podcast. They do a terrific job of breaking down Bajakian's offense at Boston College. He had a freshman WR out of South Florida (Zay Flowers) who he utilized in a somewhat unique manner - 26 rushes (mostly jet sweeps) and 22 catches. The West Lot guys saw McGowan filling a similar type role. Flowers averaged close to 17 yrds per rush and 16 yds per catch - similar big play ability to McGowan.

https://westlotpirates.com/

Reactions: freewillie07
FItz already said he still wanted to add a qb this year. I’d rather see a high level grad transfer than get a marginal high school QB.
Depends on when they are needed. While getting a Grad Transfer helps with depth, a good one would only come if there was playing time. Would think our new OC would need to determine that . A HS recruit you could groom. They fill different roles

Jefferson needs to be incorporated into the game plan more too.

Interesting listening to WLP podcast that they saw similarities between Bajakian’s BC offensive sets last year and Stanford’s offense. KJ might view this as a plus if he considers NU.

Rumors on another message board that he’s looking at Michigan. Good enough for them but not us?

Rumors on another message board that he’s looking at Michigan. Good enough for them but not us?

Interesting and it sort of makes sense with Harbaugh Stanford connection. Somewhat surprising in that Michigan has several consensus 4* QBs returning.

Don't know where this is going but do feel that Fitz needs to bring in a QB, either a H.S. recruit or Grad transfer for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT