ADVERTISEMENT

Student RSVP for Home Games

Cats20

Apr 23, 2017
The athletic department just sent an email to all undergrads asking them to RSVP for all the November home games now. They confirmed that students will be in 114 and 115 (behind hoop, not along the side). Seems to be asking a lot of students to "RSVP" to games for the upcoming month considering their ever-changing schedules. Hope that the athletic department quickly sees what a negative impact this will have on student attendance. There must be a better solution!

I don't get why you think this will have a negative impact. Can you explain?

I don't get why you think this will have a negative impact. Can you explain?
Students who are not die-hard Northwestern basketball fans will feel like the can't/don't want to commit to attending a game weeks in advance, so those students who "go because their friends are going" or "go because they finished their homework a little early" will be out of luck.

Students who are not die-hard Northwestern basketball fans will feel like the can't/don't want to commit to attending a game weeks in advance, so those students who "go because their friends are going" or "go because they finished their homework a little early" will be out of luck.

Won't there be plenty of seats for everyone?

So you think they'll cut off students from transportation to the game?
I am not sure, and maybe I am completely wrong, but the RSVP asked for full name and student ID number, so it seems as though this is more of a list to get on the bus than to get a rough estimate of how many buses they might need. Who knows...

I am not sure, and maybe I am completely wrong, but the RSVP asked for full name and student ID number, so it seems as though this is more of a list to get on the bus than to get a rough estimate of how many buses they might need. Who knows...

Hopefully that's not the case. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think the u is just making sure everyone is accommadated and is planning. Sounds about right to me.

The athletic department just sent an email to all undergrads asking them to RSVP for all the November home games now. They confirmed that students will be in 114 and 115 (behind hoop, not along the side). Seems to be asking a lot of students to "RSVP" to games for the upcoming month considering their ever-changing schedules. Hope that the athletic department quickly sees what a negative impact this will have on student attendance. There must be a better solution!
Certainly could also get then a much better seat location. If I remember correctly, the seats behind the baskets are by far the worst. Very little elevation and far behind the floor.

I can understand WHY the Athletic Department is doing this, so they can better plan transportation out to Allstate, but I don't agree with the decision. Why not just plan for a large portion of the student population going out to these games? Yes, you are going to waste some money having more transportation available than needed for a lot of games, but what's the cost for reserving a handful of extra buses that aren't used over 15 games or so? Yes, it's in the thousands, but I wouldn't guess it's a huge chunk of thousands.

Agree with the original poster. Trying to get college kids with a heavy school work load and other plans (friends, activities, etc.) to commit to going to games far in advance out in Rosemont is not the best idea. Just my opinion. I think just biting the bullet and having full transportation available for every game has more value than this logistical planning mess that will more likely turn some students off from attending.

I can understand WHY the Athletic Department is doing this, so they can better plan transportation out to Allstate, but I don't agree with the decision. Why not just plan for a large portion of the student population going out to these games? Yes, you are going to waste some money having more transportation available than needed for a lot of games, but what's the cost for reserving a handful of extra buses that aren't used over 15 games or so? Yes, it's in the thousands, but I wouldn't guess it's a huge chunk of thousands.

Agree with the original poster. Trying to get college kids with a heavy school work load and other plans (friends, activities, etc.) to commit to going to games far in advance out in Rosemont is not the best idea. Just my opinion. I think just biting the bullet and having full transportation available for every game has more value than this logistical planning mess that will more likely turn some students off from attending.

My guess is the RSVP has a little to do with getting an approximate count for transportation and a lot to do with getting students to commit in advance to going to games in the hopes they'll set aside the time to actually go. Someone on InsideNU went to the scrimmage and said it was four hour commitment (1 hour there, 2 hours for the game, 1 hour back). That's quite a bit longer than the 2.5 hours it takes to attend a game at WRA. I would suggest scaling back the buses and find a way to pay Uber/Lyft for students to get to games. That would give them more flexibility in timing for going/returning.

Certainly could also get then a much better seat location. If I remember correctly, the seats behind the baskets are by far the worst. Very little elevation and far behind the floor.

Yeah, the seats behind the baskets are much worse than they are at WRA for exactly the reasons you mentioned. They should have put the students behind the visiting team bench.

Reactions: willycat
So, maybe we haven't "made it" quite yet? NU Students not exactly lining up in be cold to get tickets like at IU:

You're ready to bare those teeth in this sport, too, eh? Looking forward to another public flogging.

Reactions: NUCat320
Yeah, the seats behind the baskets are much worse than they are at WRA for exactly the reasons you mentioned. They should have put the students behind the visiting team bench.

Especially when we'll need all the purple we can get on the side visible on TV ...

Anyone know how UConn gets students to games in Hartford? The XL Center is about 30 miles from campus. Or how Clemson got students to Bon Secours in Greenville the last two seasons while they redid Littlejohn? I'd like to think someone on staff investigated how other schools have handled this type of situation rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Anyone know how UConn gets students to games in Hartford? The XL Center is about 30 miles from campus. Or how Clemson got students to Bon Secours in Greenville the last two seasons while they redid Littlejohn? I'd like to think someone on staff investigated how other schools have handled this type of situation rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

I'll tell you one thing that won't fix a problem we don't even know exists - debating whether the staff thought about it before it's even a problem, which it may not be, simply based on one person's characterization of a survey sent to students.

I'll tell you one thing that won't fix a problem we don't even know exists - debating whether the staff thought about it before it's even a problem, which it may not be, simply based on one person's characterization of a survey sent to students.

I'm not really responding to thoughts on the survey, but the logistical challenges of getting students to and from Rosemont 20 times are something I'm personally curious about. The shuttles from campus to Welsh-Ryan weren't very dependable in my time at NU, but then again student support is hopefully stronger now that the team is where it is competitively.

I'm not really responding to thoughts on the survey, but the logistical challenges of getting students to and from Rosemont 20 times are something I'm personally curious about. The shuttles from campus to Welsh-Ryan weren't very dependable in my time at NU, but then again student support is hopefully stronger now that the team is where it is competitively.
Much more challenging getting to Rosemont than WRA. I think there will be a narrow departure window to get them there around 30 minutes before tip-off. It will take 45-60 minutes for busses to get out there and they pretty much have just one shot per bus, unlike football for example where busses cycle between a variety of stops in Evanston and Ryan Field.

Much more challenging getting to Rosemont than WRA. I think there will be a narrow departure window to get them there around 30 minutes before tip-off. It will take 45-60 minutes for busses to get out there and they pretty much have just one shot per bus, unlike football for example where busses cycle between a variety of stops in Evanston and Ryan Field.

Right, which is why I'm interested to see if they can find a solution that gets people there efficiently.

I would suggest multiple bus pick up points and perhaps two drop off points or a drop off route of three or so stops. This would add to the convenience and reduce the commute time for the students especially if the weather is bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT