ADVERTISEMENT

Student Section -> Opposing Team Techs

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
especially during the last few games, the student section has impacted the emotion of the game.

I have heard multiple broadcasters comment on how “Northwestern is a tough place to play” and “that is a nasty student section”. I witnessed it first hand sitting right under them during the Purdue game. This is UNRECOGNIZABLE compared to how it was back in the early 2000s when I was in school.

Bitch all you want about “crossing the line”, but frankly I have come to the mindset that this is what they face on the road week in/week out (welcome to the Big Ten), and in Kopp’s case specifically, he deserved it. It levels the playing field and since the renovation may have created a special, unique place in college basketball.

My biggest critique is that the F U Miller chant was lame and lacked creativity. But say what you will, IU had 2 techs leading to 4 (ultimately critical) points for NU. The chants tonight led to McCraffrey getting kicked out, and his son getting another T. Delightful.

Keep this up. I hope it gets even better in the future

Bit of a stretch to imply the techs are a consequence of the rowdy student section.

The talk about the student section is being blown out of proportion by having resulted in a statement and a Jumbotron appeal to keeping it civil.

It was one chant. One. Let’s not pretend the student section is some college basketball version of Marilyn Manson.

What were the circumstances of Fran’s technical? It looked more like Fran being Fran.
We just barely got the ball over half court within the 10 seconds (something like 9.9) and Fran thought 10 second call should have been made. He went ballistic and did not stop so he was gone. Basically ended the game as Boo sank all 4 and we went up by 19

We just barely got the ball over half court within the 10 seconds (something like 9.9) and Fran thought 10 second call should have been made. He went ballistic and did not stop so he was gone. Basically ended the game as Boo sank all 4 and we went up by 19
Fran is a jagoff

Fran’s temper is inexcusable and hurts his team. With that said, we got the ball to a player across mid court in about 10.2 seconds. Per the TV guys, it was a missed call, albeit barely.

Reactions: ricko654321
Didn't look to me as if we touched the ball until the clock hit 20, which would/could have been deemed late. However, is the rule that someone has to touch the ball in the front court, or does the ball simply moving across the midcourt line obviate the violation? I frankly don't know, and don't care. It was way too close a call to justify the overreaction by McAsshole.

Are B1G coaches and teams getting on edge emotionally because they can't believe that they are being handled by Northwestern? Seems possible to me...

Reactions: ParisCat
Fran’s temper is inexcusable and hurts his team. With that said, we got the ball to a player across mid court in about 10.2 seconds. Per the TV guys, it was a missed call, albeit barely.
The shot clock on tv seemed to be ahead of the in-arena clock. Barnhizer hit a three when from the top of the key NU whipped it around the permitter — the tv clock hit zero well before the horn sounded, when the ball was already in the air.

That T was hilarious, now that I remember it. At least Fran didn’t lose control of his extremities and make contact with the official. High comedy.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Bit of a stretch to imply the techs are a consequence of the rowdy student section.

The talk about the student section is being blown out of proportion by having resulted in a statement and a Jumbotron appeal to keeping it civil.

It was one chant. One. Let’s not pretend the student section is some college basketball version of Marilyn Manson.
Tell me you haven’t been to a game recently without telling me…

I sat courtside last week. I experienced the student section first hand. It is right on the court, coordinated, and loud.

Perhaps in comparison to the Izzone, Orange Crush, etc. it isn’t so out of the ordinary, but compared to where Northwestern’s student section was only a few years ago, it could not be more different. From that lens it is most certainly not blown out of proportion

However, is the rule that someone has to touch the ball in the front court, or does the ball simply moving across the midcourt line obviate the violation?
By rule, the ball must touch (not necessarily be controlled by) a player in the front court. The only grey area is that a dribbler gains front court status only by having both feet and the ball across the line. (Fans occasionally go bonkers when a dribbler gets only part-way across the line, then steps back. "Over and back" goes the cry -- but not so.)

Didn't look to me as if we touched the ball until the clock hit 20, which would/could have been deemed late. However, is the rule that someone has to touch the ball in the front court, or does the ball simply moving across the midcourt line obviate the violation? I frankly don't know, and don't care. It was way too close a call to justify the overreaction by McAsshole.

Are B1G coaches and teams getting on edge emotionally because they can't believe that they are being handled by Northwestern? Seems possible to me...
I think you are supposed to touch the ball in under 20 sec. It was probably a close, bad call. Home court advantage is real even for Cats and maybe thanks to the student section.
The call didn't change the game but it did unhinge a coach who couldn't believe he was going to lose to jnu. He couldn't catch a break, Nu's 3s were going in Ioa's were not. Then his strategy of a full court press comes close to succeeding and he didn't get the call and lost it. I guess if you admire his competitive spirit you can forgive it but I see it as a guy making big money having a breakdown over being relegated to third place of 14 by a team he doesn't respect. Not a good look.

Reactions: Titanium999
Tell me you haven’t been to a game recently without telling me…
I have been to a packed Breslin Center, Mackie Arena and State Farm Center, probably a total of 25 times in my life. I don't recall an opposing coach getting teed in that sample.

But we are 2 out of 2 for the last 2 games. So, we created something never seen. The tech machine student section.

We even made Franco get a tech. A unicorn moment.

You seem to believe I am under estimating how awesome the student section has been. I am not.

Student sections don’t really get techs. They do energize the team and can demoralize an opponent. The energy after every made basket and run is what the student section adds. When NU hits 1 shot after the opponents make a run it sucks the life out of an opponent when the crowd is right back in it. It also energizes NU. You can feed off the crowd. There are some players that feed off away crowds.

Except we didn't. Fran was right. The ball needed to hit Nicholson's hands. It didn't. Bad call, but it got Fran tossed, which makes it an eternally good call.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Student sections don’t really get techs. They do energize the team and can demoralize an opponent. The energy after every made basket and run is what the student section adds. When NU hits 1 shot after the opponents make a run it sucks the life out of an opponent when the crowd is right back in it. It also energizes NU. You can feed off the crowd. There are some players that feed off away crowds.
I have always felt that supporters tend to play a more significant role in energizing the home team than intimidating the opponent (even though there's probably some of that). I feel this is more true the more experienced the opposing players are.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
Hitting FRANCON 10 (that scale is backwards) made my week.
I think it was 2019 when I saw IA play at IL. The student section, right behind the benches, has a poster of Franco shooting red lasers out of his eyes. It was hilarious, he even laughed about it himself.

Last edited:
I think the "Where's your Daddy?" chant got into McCaffrey's (son's) head and of course, general frustration and Dad being kicked out.

Except we didn't. Fran was right. The ball needed to hit Nicholson's hands. It didn't. Bad call, but it got Fran tossed, which makes it an eternally good call.
It was like 10.1 seconds and they count in their head not on an actual watch, am I incorrect? I’m sure that happens all the time.

Reactions: GatoLouco
The degree of whining on the Purdue, IU, and Iowa boards over the last week has been off the charts. They just can't conceive of losing to NU and chalk it up to some sort of grand conspiracy. It has been good for some chuckles.

The degree of whining on the Purdue, IU, and Iowa boards over the last week has been off the charts. They just can't conceive of losing to NU and chalk it up to some sort of grand conspiracy. It has been good for some chuckles.
We keep winning and people keep doubting us - Daniel R Buie

It was like 10.1 seconds and they count in their head not on an actual watch, am I incorrect? I’m sure that happens all the time.
I don't think they count it off anymore. They go by the shot clock, unless perhaps there is a timeout or other stoppage of play that offsets the 10 second count and the clock. That said, it was a bang-bang play and, much like the delay of game penalty in football where you can still snap the ball at zero because the ref needs time to look at the clock and the ball, this is probably not an exact call either.

Reactions: Smolmania
Not saying it wasn't close or that Fran's overreaction was warranted, just that he was right.

Not saying it wasn't close or that Fran's overreaction was warranted, just that he was right.
I didn’t realize that the rule was possession across the line, in which case it was a bad missed call.

Just a shame that Fran always acts like somebody hid his baba.

What a dork.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT