ADVERTISEMENT

Stunner: Bob Stoops retiring

Yeah, that one comes out of nowhere. Strange timing.

I always thought Lincoln Riley would get a shot somewhere, just didn't see it coming this quickly or in this manner.

1) Scandal
2) Health (hopefully not)
3) He's taking the Ohio State basketball job.

Fitz is now third behind Ferentz and Mike Gundy for longest tenured coaches at the BCS/power conference levels for the duration of their times. Gary Patterson and Kyle Whittingham (who both started as mid-majors, to borrow the basketball term), as well as Frank Solich at Ohio, are the only other coaches at their schools as head coaches longer. Fitz is tied with Rick Stockstill at MTSU in FBS.

1) Scandal
2) Health (hopefully not)
3) He's taking the Ohio State basketball job.

Fitz is now third behind Ferentz and Mike Gundy for longest tenured coaches at the BCS/power conference levels for the duration of their times. Gary Patterson and Kyle Whittingham (who both started as mid-majors, to borrow the basketball term), as well as Frank Solich at Ohio, are the only other coaches at their schools as head coaches longer. Fitz is tied with Rick Stockstill at MTSU in FBS.

Reports are already out that it is NOT health-related.

FWIW - Per a comment posted under the ESPN article, his son is expected to play at Northwestern.

Interesting... I suppose that would explain his interest in Chicago real estate, but both his twins seemed to have at least mid-major recruiting interest so would be a little curious if they walked on at NU (though tuition money isn't exactly a concern).

Looks like both brothers took a visit to NU in April, so not sure if that's just an ESPN commentator putting together that visit and Stoops' condo purchases to surmise a Northwestern enrollment:

Maybe the guy just lost the drive and motivation and decided to hang them up.

Is his kid at NU this coming fall?

Maybe the guy just lost the drive and motivation and decided to hang them up.

Is his kid at NU this coming fall?

I believe his twins are 2018 prospects. The lone ESPN comment seems to be the only NU mention I can find.

Come on, dudes. Connect the dots. This is easy. First, the NCAA says you can add an extra coach. Then he buys a condo in Chicago. Then his kids visit Northwestern. Now he abruptly retires. It is very obvious that he now intends to apply for his dream job, Assistant Coach at Northwestern. I always suspected that he was using the Oklahoma gig as a steppingstone to Evanston.

Well, I guess Oklahoma is not going to be too good this year. I can't see a coach retiring without cause if they were stocked with a national championship caliber team. Maybe it was the schedule or maybe something he saw in his team, but I would think this is a harbinger of a so-so year (8-4?) at least by Oklahoma standards.

Well, I guess Oklahoma is not going to be too good this year. I can't see a coach retiring without cause if they were stocked with a national championship caliber team. Maybe it was the schedule or maybe something he saw in his team, but I would think this is a harbinger of a so-so year (8-4?) at least by Oklahoma standards.

They are a top ten preseason team talent wise. How this changes that I have no idea but they re a very talented team.

Ou is stacked but young at rb and wr.

Word out of Norman is that it was just time. He never saw himself as a coaching lifer. Maybe he gets the itch in the future, but he saw his dad pass away at age 54 and stoops will be 57 this September. His sons will be hs seniors this year. Northwestern is prolly the type of school that they would be recruited by.

They are a top ten preseason team talent wise. How this changes that I have no idea but they re a very talented team.
18 years is a long time. I don't know Stoops at all but maybe he is a class act and sees this as a good opportunity to hand his work off at a time when the successor and team he has built, will prosper even in transition.

He has been making some pretty good money and supposedly has a net worth of $50 million.

18 years is a long time. I don't know Stoops at all but maybe he is a class act and sees this as a good opportunity to hand his work off at a time when the successor and team he has built, will prosper even in transition.
Yes, Stoops seems to have a great reputation among his peers (as evidenced by the link below; note another coach who got multiple votes), despite having to deal with a rather unruly booster base.

The funny thing is that I first registered as HawkCat and started posting on Rivals in the fall of 1998--right when the Iowa fanbase was in turmoil over the fact that its AD at the time allegedly declined to extend an offer to Stoops during his interview with his alma mater, insisting instead that the committee interview Kirk Ferentz before making a final decision. Legend has it that Stoops was miffed and found the nearest pay phone after that interview to accept OU's offer. Whether that scenario is true is highly debatable, but I joined the Rivals fray in part to defend the eventual hire of Ferentz. It is inevitable that a large group of Hawkeye fans will now start speculating about Stoops replacing Ferentz.

Oh, and I also joined Rivals in 1998 to enter the fray of discussion on the NU board about Barnett's abrupt departure and to defend the hire of Walker.

That was a crazy and heated couple of months on the Iowa and NU boards. Who would have guessed that those hires in 1998 (OU, Iowa and NU) would result in three of the longest and most stable coaching tenures in college football (counting the Walker to Fitz transition as effectively a single tenure)?http://newsok.com/article/5511352

Reactions: ricko654321
An abrupt departure always leads to suspicion that the NCAA is about to come a-calling. Oklahoma had the Mixon thing and who knows what else. Might be getting out while the gettin's good.

Maybe, like most of us, he is tired of all the BS and has enough FU money to ride off into the sunset. In Evanston.

So you have heard a rumor about Stoops coming to Evenston to be an assistant coach. I read the same rumor myself on this very message board. Of course I am the one who wrote it, but let's not quibble.

So you have heard a rumor about Stoops coming to Evenston to be an assistant coach. I read the same rumor myself on this very message board. Of course I am the one who wrote it, but let's not quibble.

So far, this is the most authoritative source we have on the Stoops rumor! ;) This should tell us something.

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark

How old is Hankwitz? Maybe the rigors of being a DC at NU are within his limits especially if his kids are there, whereas the pressure of being head coach at OU are not.

Maybe he can be an "informal" consultant to the team like Doug Collins has been for hoops.

One can dream, no?

Reactions: Mr Wickerpark
It has been "leaked" to the NYT's by several anonymous sources that Stoops' Russian connections are quite extensive-he owns 2 Siberian huskies and favors vodka. There will be more revelations forthcoming

Reactions: RevCat
How old is Hankwitz? Maybe the rigors of being a DC at NU are within his limits especially if his kids are there, whereas the pressure of being head coach at OU are not.

Maybe he can be an "informal" consultant to the team like Doug Collins has been for hoops.

One can dream, no?

Dreaming is 50% of what I come here for.

Yeah, that one comes out of nowhere. Strange timing.

I always thought Lincoln Riley would get a shot somewhere, just didn't see it coming this quickly or in this manner.
I think he is going to be the assistant athletic director and staying in Oklahoma.

Its known. Just not through the media. I got a buddy who has a son on the team and stoops told them he is taking an assistant athletic position at the university.
(Edit: admittedly, its odd that they wouldnt have announced him as assistant AD but i just got off the phone and apparently thats what he told the team)

Last edited:
Its known. Just not through the media. I got a buddy who has a son on the team and stoops told them he is taking an assistant athletic position at the university.
(Edit: admittedly, its odd that they wouldnt have announced him as assistant AD but i just got off the phone and apparently thats what he told the team)

Suppose that's what I get for asking a question without actually doing some Googling on my end... the following is indeed in the official announcement on OU's website:

Stoops will remain as special assistant to the athletics director.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211616668

Seems a little softer than "Assistant Athletic Director" and more of a ceremonial "Special Assistant," but still... my bad.

Suppose that's what I get for asking a question without actually doing some Googling on my end... the following is indeed in the official announcement on OU's website:

Stoops will remain as special assistant to the athletics director.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211616668

Seems a little softer than "Assistant Athletic Director" and more of a ceremonial "Special Assistant," but still... my bad.
Good find. That makes alot more sense. My info was from a coach to a kid to a father and then to this board. 4th hand. The father or me probably botched it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT