ADVERTISEMENT

Sullivan the better QB at IA scrimmage?

Sully did some good stuff here at NU...maybe not always to the level we wanted....and often under a questionable line....I believe he thought he has earned the starting spot....Does anyone know what NU thought limited him at NU and made them seek a transfer? When guys transfer I sure would like to see them go out of the conference.

Sully did some good stuff here at NU...maybe not always to the level we wanted....and often under a questionable line....I believe he thought he has earned the starting spot....Does anyone know what NU thought limited him at NU and made them seek a transfer? When guys transfer I sure would like to see them go out of the conference.
Maybe it was all the sacks he took against Howard…

He might win the starting spot, but that doesn't mean he's good. Averaging <4 yds/attempt against the 2nd and 3rd string defense? Woof.

• Sad
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Sullivan is “a guy.” I think Braun, Lujan and co wanted more upside at the position, despite the risk the Wright/Lausch floor might be lower than Sullys. Just my two cents.

I think he felt he was entitled to the starting spot.. too bad Lausch apparently outplayed him and impressed Lujan more in the Spring practices. Sully didn't like the fact that he had to compete and actually win the QB1 job, which is not a good attitude. He tweeted a strange Bible verse about being persecuted when he announced his move to the portal. Good riddance.

I don't think looking in the transfer portal was itself a problem. But telling Sully that Laush had jumped him in the depth chart (if the insiders on this board are to be believed) sent a clear message that he would not be a starter here under the new OC.

I think Sullivan's potential success at Iowa just affirms how many factors go into a QB actually developing and delivering - line play, skill positions, coaching and continuity, "fit" ... so much stuff. And then reasons or blame just depend on who you're asking.

Reactions: hdhntr1
One of his biggest problems is he was an injury waiting to happen and could not stay on the field

Reactions: Cataria
One of his biggest problems is he was an injury waiting to happen and could not stay on the field

Because, unlike Ben Bryant, Sullivan didn't have a good feel for the defensive pressure and he didn't really see downfield, so he ended up holding the ball or just taking off. Thats a reliable way to get injured. And of course, there were designed running plays for him.

Its a crazy situation in Iowa City at the QB position.
Two years ago, Spencer Petras was the QB. He was mediocre. He sat out all of last season with an injury.
At some point, He transferred to Utah State, where he will be the starter. He started college at Iowa in 2018.
Two off-seasons ago, Ferentz pulled a major coup and brought in Cade McNamara from Michigan.
McNamara tore his ACL in Iowa's 5th game last year after putting up numbers that don't look good.
Deacon Hill (who had just transferred in from Wisconsin) became the QB and he sucked.
After the season Hill transferred to Utah Tech.
Ferentz then picked up Brendan Sullivan.

Because, unlike Ben Bryant, Sullivan didn't have a good feel for the defensive pressure and he didn't really see downfield, so he ended up holding the ball or just taking off. Thats a reliable way to get injured. And of course, there were designed running plays for him.

Its a crazy situation in Iowa City at the QB position.
Two years ago, Spencer Petras was the QB. He was mediocre. He sat out all of last season with an injury.
At some point, He transferred to Utah State, where he will be the starter. He started college at Iowa in 2018.
Two off-seasons ago, Ferentz pulled a major coup and brought in Cade McNamara from Michigan.
McNamara tore his ACL in Iowa's 5th game last year after putting up numbers that don't look good.
Deacon Hill (who had just transferred in from Wisconsin) became the QB and he sucked.
After the season Hill transferred to Utah Tech.
Ferentz then picked up Brendan Sullivan.
Like I said and injury waiting to happen.

If Sullivan plays well for Iowa, there is a crew here who will blame Mike Bajakian for not developing him.
If Sullivan plays poorly for Iowa, the same crew will blame Mike Bajakian for not developing him.
Others will rightly blame Fitz.

He of the “we can’t replace both coordinators in one offseason” fame.

Even though he did it before in 2008 with much success. 🤔

In another universe, Pat Fitzgerald takes the Offensive Coordinator job at Iowa...
Brendan Sullivan throws 40 passes a game and wins the Heisman.

You know that wasn't by choice. He fired Colby and McGee resigned afterwards.
It is ridiculous that any Big Ten or P5 Head Coach would be afraid of replacing both coordinators.

Especially when your players are smarter than most.

He was just mailing it in for paychecks the last few years. No wonder the hazing grew out of control and no QBs were that motivated to come here.

If Sullivan plays well for Iowa, there is a crew here who will blame Mike Bajakian for not developing him.
If Sullivan plays poorly for Iowa, the same crew will blame Mike Bajakian for not developing him.
And either way, they’d be right.

It is ridiculous that any Big Ten or P5 Head Coach would be afraid of replacing both coordinators.

Especially when your players are smarter than most.

He was just mailing it in for paychecks the last few years. No wonder the hazing grew out of control and no QBs were that motivated to come here.
Bingo. He was so complacent. Probably because he felt incredible job security. While I appreciate very much what he did as a player and the next step we took in winning bowls and the division… I’m glad he’s gone. The fire is back in the program it seems and bigger heights (CFP appearance) feel actually attainable under Braun at some point soon-ish.

You can do it when you are first starting out. Pretty hard that far into tenure. The most glaring need was to get rid of JON even though he was here for a shorter time. Jake had at least shown some success and it was reasonable to keep him another year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT