ADVERTISEMENT

Superback

Williesfan

Sep 24, 2009
now that coach McCall is gone and the depletion at the position. What is the probability that NU retains this hybrid position?

NU will always have tight ends.
Then we should probably just call them that. If my memory’s correct, the superback was a term from Dunbar’s system and is simply a hybrid tight end / halfback role.

The only argument for keeping the term is if recruits like it. Since we keep losing out on top TE targets, maybe it’s time to just call them what they are a la Iowa and dOSU.

Not that Superbacks ever lined up in the backfield much (Vitale’s hybrid career is mostly in our imagination), but I don’t think I saw them line up in the backfield at all this season. (Granted , I stopped paying attention in late September, both an abundance of conflicts and lack of interest.)

Both Dickerson and Vitale, who now wear numbers in the 40s , did most of their work out of the slot. (Actually , Dickerson was 49 last year, and is 89 this year. FYI, cut on October but now back on NYG practice squad.)

Mostly, fullbacks don’t exist anymore. In heavy formations, someone’s gotta line up back there.

In Saturday’s game, we were mostly single setback next to Marty, with superbacks lined up next to each other as TE and wing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT