ADVERTISEMENT

Talent Gap

I watched a few NW games this year. And not just the Notre Dame game. Your team amazes me how they are able to get back in games. Where you should not be in. A few events seem to happen in your favor like timely penalties or Turnovers but it goes your way constantly. I scratch my head about it. How did they do that? In this game. You had zero penalties called although I would have a could 2-3 holding calls. On the Irish second drive that ended in a miss FG there was that interference call that appeared to me to be within 5 yards of the line so it should of been a no call. great break for you. The best play was I was watching the Irish line up for a punt and I watched your D line up and I said to my Son NW is going to block the punt. And sure enough you did. Your offense was not good your D was OK yet somehow Fitz and the staff puts your guys in position to force better teams to step it up or win games that somehow you would think the other team should win, Good luck against Iowa.
You're a prime example of why so many people hate ND. Get lost. You have no idea what you're talking about.

You're a prime example of why so many people hate ND. Get lost. You have no idea what you're talking about.

How bout When Tillery rolled into the NW sidelines and Fitz grabbed him by the pads. You can hear Tillery say get the F off me. and fitz said something to him. No flag for that. Fitz should have been penalized. so a number of missed calls

The biggest talent gap was at QB. Can you guess which QB was more accurate and faster ?
Other than maybe the DB’s, the rest of the squads were shockingly close in talent level. Hunter Johnson may have won that game.
Well DB’s have something to do with the QB play. The ND coverage was excellent and they only had to bring 4 to get a LOT of pressure.

It never filled up. Anyone who says to the contrary is deluding themselves. It was an obvious empty area in an otherwise filled stadium throughout the game. We need to reduce the size of the student section.
In fact the lousy seats way behind the end line were packed on both sides while the student section, even filling somewhat trough the 1st quarter, was glaringly devoid of people throughout. And it's a major competition with a nationally ranked opponent. even the weather held off until the 4th quarter. I guess academics at an academic institution still holds sway.

How bout When Tillery rolled into the NW sidelines and Fitz grabbed him by the pads. You can hear Tillery say get the F off me. and fitz said something to him. No flag for that. Fitz should have been penalized. so a number of missed calls
<snore>

And yet Thorson was the 4 star QB and Book was a lowly 3 star...
The stars system is just that, a system. Once the competition gets larger, speeds up, and talent is more equal than in high school, the talent always wins out. we have had our own share of no-stars that have made a great impact on our teams success (Can anyone say Austin, or Barry, or Zeke?). And regarding CT, his speed is not there, nor his accuracy and speed in choosing his target and releasing on target. No complaining just seeing what I see.

Reactions: T_Levine
All I know is the Stadium was absolutely packed. Lines for bathrooms and food were atrocious. Not nearly enough portable johns and getting into parking was a big mess. These are much bigger complaints to me than worrying about what the student section looks like on TV.
True and another complaint should be aimed on the "so called" NU fans who sold their tickets to the enemy.

So who cares about the students attending? Easy fix, Reduce the student section. Sorry, but the type of students being admitted are quite different than good ole State U. They are from all over the country/world. Rarely are they legacy. They generally come in with no affiliation to NU or any point of reference from a sports perspective. They graduate and most move out of the area. They then watch the game on TV if they get any interest to begin with. Every season and now it seems like every week we hear about the students not attending, frankly I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
Good analysis. Someone opined that student attendance was better at basketball games because basketball is played in virtually every country and football is basically a US game.

They reduced 8,117 seat Welsh Ryan by almost that much. That reduction came to what, 13.3%? The reduction at Ryan will be far more significant. Same percentage holds, you’re looking at about 6,300 seats removed. Considering the restraints on the current amenities, I’d expected the cut to be as much as twice that What’s easier, built up the amenities to support 47,130 fans, which never show up anyway, or reduce capacity, alleviate the embarrassment and perception of weak fan support due to swaths of empty seating, and work within your existing restricted framework to make it a more pleasant experience for those who do attend? All signs point to their doing the latter, as it’s what they just did at Welsh-Ryan, to rave reviews.
Then NU will not only have the smallest BB arena but the smallest FB stadium as well. Maybe they will have at least the largest stadium in the MAC. Really sad for a university who shares a border with a world class city and it's millions of residents.

Reactions: Bwm57
According to my granddaughter, the section with the band and the one North are student sections. She was initially turned away because those were full. Later she was allowed in to sit in the empty sections. I don’t know what they are supposed to be, but apparently aren’t student sections. Unbelievable!
While I am p*****g and moaning, I have had a reserved spot in the West lot for over twenty years. Arrived an hour before game time and was told the lot was full and would have to find another spot. Eventually parked on campus and took the shuttle. Missed all the pregame and kickoff with friends who had driven from Kentucky to join us for this great experience. Bulls***t!

Thanks for quasi-confirming that third section was not necessarily a "student" section (although that raises other questions about why it was unsold, right?)

From one fan to another, I'm really, really sorry to hear you were boxed out of the lot. I'm pretty sure I was literally the last car they squeezed into the South Golf lot a little before 4 p.m., I don't remember this being a problem in previous years, but I also realize maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Then NU will not only have the smallest BB arena but the smallest FB stadium as well. Maybe they will have at least the largest stadium in the MAC. Really sad for a university who shares a border with a world class city and it's millions of residents.

And we’re the smallest school in the Big Ten by what, 15,000 undergrad students? Then next smallest is about 300% our size? And what schools next to major metropolitan areas pull significant number of casual fans from that city’s population? Being in a major metropolitan market with five major pro sports teams is a hinderance to college attendance, not a benefit.

And if the size of the school and its stadiums is important to you, you could have choosen better than a small, private school.

Last edited:
According to my granddaughter, the section with the band and the one North are student sections. She was initially turned away because those were full. Later she was allowed in to sit in the empty sections. I don’t know what they are supposed to be, but apparently aren’t student sections. Unbelievable!
While I am p*****g and moaning, I have had a reserved spot in the West lot for over twenty years. Arrived an hour before game time and was told the lot was full and would have to find another spot. Eventually parked on campus and took the shuttle. Missed all the pregame and kickoff with friends who had driven from Kentucky to join us for this great experience. Bulls***t!
Guess you'll need to give a few thousand more in order to "not" get a reserved parking spot nest season.

HUH???

Indicative of students today. Met a jr last night. Rtvf I think. First game he has gone to all year. I said. Unacceptable with a smile.

The biggest talent gap was at QB. Can you guess which QB was more accurate and faster ?
Other than maybe the DB’s, the rest of the squads were shockingly close in talent level. Hunter Johnson may have won that game.
I agree not much of a talent gap but my interpretation is WR was the bigger physical talent gap. We have smaller quick guys but that means a smaller catch radius in general, Thorson can’t throw a jump ball to a 5’11” guy really.

It was more a depth and consistency issue. When our DBs went down that was bad.

When our O is more limited by a true frosh RB and a Thorson who is only about 80% of what he was last year, as well as not having any healthy kicker, it’s amazing we were within 3 points of #4 in the country with 3 minutes left.

If we had played this game 1 year ago with Igwebuike, Kyle Queiro, JJTBC and a 100% Thorson who could actually be a small threat to run, we win this game no doubt in my mind. To have zero running dimension at QB is a huge liability.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I'd be surprised if we reduce stadium capacity much below 44-45k. Feels like we'd still want to have that kind of capacity for big games or big opponents.

Basketball is a different calculation: we were keeping the basic frame of the arena and expanding all of the amenities while making it much more of an intimate atmosphere. You're going to lose 10-15% of your seats if you do that.

The stadium needs a more complete knockdown and rebuild on all 3 sides in my opinion. Given that we won't have a limiting frame, there's no real reason to reduce capacity below 44-45k.

All I know is the Stadium was absolutely packed. Lines for bathrooms and food were atrocious. Not nearly enough portable johns and getting into parking was a big mess. These are much bigger complaints to me than worrying about what the student section looks like on TV.
we are hitting the big times then, ha!! Any stadium I have been to (Iowa, Minnesota, Packers etc) - the lines are always tough. we had to leave super early to get into the iowa parking lots at all, its a crazy mess there! Last time I went to an NU game we parked a ways away in a residential neighborhood and just walked in towards the stadium - it was actually very pleasant.

Reactions: catfans5
I watched a few NW games this year. And not just the Notre Dame game. Your team amazes me how they are able to get back in games. Where you should not be in. A few events seem to happen in your favor like timely penalties or Turnovers but it goes your way constantly. I scratch my head about it. How did they do that? In this game. You had zero penalties called although I would have a could 2-3 holding calls. On the Irish second drive that ended in a miss FG there was that interference call that appeared to me to be within 5 yards of the line so it should of been a no call. great break for you. The best play was I was watching the Irish line up for a punt and I watched your D line up and I said to my Son NW is going to block the punt. And sure enough you did. Your offense was not good your D was OK yet somehow Fitz and the staff puts your guys in position to force better teams to step it up or win games that somehow you would think the other team should win, Good luck against Iowa.

Sure, Northwestern gets all the calls against the Ohio States, Michigans and Notre Dames of the world. That's why we're constantly dominating college football. It's one thing to bitch and moan about calls when you lose a game (although still a no-class move), but you WON and are still bitching about calls. All the recruiting advantages inherent at Notre Dame with its long tradition and basically being the national Catholic university, and this is the first nationally relevant team you've had in several seasons. Geez, just relax, be glad you played Michigan in the opener before Harbag got Patterson integrated into Michigan's offense, and enjoy your season.

Out of curiosity, what of the student body can fit into the student section? I ask because I suspect that even if NU was hands down the best team in the B1G, a very significant percentage of the student body would still have no interest in attending games.

Notre Dame will not join a conference period unless it is forced and it won't be the B10. What is in it for Notre Dame? i would agree that Notre Dame's record could be impacted because they would not attract the talent they get now because the B10 is not a good conference from top to bottom. They have 2-3 teams every year that are good after that it is bad or mediocre teams beating each other

This is the first time you would have had a shot at winning the Big Ten in several years. Get over yourself.

It never filled up. Anyone who says to the contrary is deluding themselves. It was an obvious empty area in an otherwise filled stadium throughout the game. We need to reduce the size of the student section.
We need to reassess our admissions criteria. If as large a % of our students receive aid as reported, then they should support NU and their classmates

We need to reassess our admissions criteria. If as large a % of our students receive aid as reported, then they should support NU and their classmates

Are you joking? You have lost all perspective on why we have a sports team. The tail does not wag the dog and it never should.

Let's not go crazy.

I think it's reasonable to consider reducing the size of the student section. But forcing students to support athletic teams is dumb.

A lot of our students don't give a hoot about sports. It is what it is. Even large state schools have this problem these days (we're just a lot smaller student body so it's more noticeable).

Let’s mandate athletes attend percussion concerts too.

Idiot.

The small size of the NU student body is a valid point . And yes since Northwestern students tend to be serious about their education many of them do not care about the athletic teams although there are certainly exceptions (although I was a pre-med I attended all home FB games and most home BB games during my 1967-1971 tenure)

He’s talking about the majority of students being women. Surely he’s not talking about race. Surely!

I am talking about self centered students that feed off the reputation of NU and contribute nothing more to the university than a grade point and SAT score

Rolled into NU sideline? What a joke. You mean the play where he came in late and straddled over Thorson taunting him while he was laying on the ground out of bounds? Not sure what you saw on TV but that play Happened right in front of me. That should have been a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty on your player. Our coach won’t tolerate that crap and will stick up for his players no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
I am talking about self centered students that feed off the reputation of NU and contribute nothing more to the university than a grade point and SAT score
Or, you know, going to class, learning, excelling academically, contributing to discussions, challenging their classmates, becoming respected professionals, etc., etc.

Your player should have been assessed a 15 yard unsportsmanlike flag for him taunting over Thorson. You got very lucky on that one, I don’t know why it wasn’t called. I was personally proud of Fitz for setting your boy straight and not escalating it further.

Just curious, how did you learn how to type? Did you just start mashing the keyboard until your strings of text somehow became coherent, or did you take advanced courses at Notre Shame on the matter? Good riddance either way.

So are you saying you now don't want the four-stars and are coming around to the Glades point of view?

Just making a point observation here. No, Glades is high if he doesn't want better rated and more coveted recruits. I don't think he believes that though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT