ADVERTISEMENT

Team to Beat OSU

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
A Wisconsin guy puts together an All B1G team by position group with the best chance to beat OSU, since no one else can. The money quote (although I disagree about the "do more with less" nonsense):

Head Coach: Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern)

Let's be real, he's the best coach in the conference not named Ryan Day. Paul Chryst is close and would've been my second choice, but what Fitzgerald is able to do with limited talent is flat-out remarkable. He would have this roster (listed below) ready and hungry to defeat the vaunted Buckeyes.

Reactions: rmndcat
If it takes the entire B1G conference to beat tOSU, the conference has a bigger problem than beating OSU.

Reactions: drewjin
A Wisconsin guy puts together an All B1G team by position group with the best chance to beat OSU, since no one else can. The money quote (although I disagree about the "do more with less" nonsense):

Let's be real, he's the best coach in the conference not named Ryan Day. Paul Chryst is close and would've been my second choice, but what Fitzgerald is able to do with limited talent is flat-out remarkable. He would have this roster (listed below) ready and hungry to defeat the vaunted Buckeyes.

Shocker, the Wisconsin guy picks Wisconsin position groups to fill out most of the squad. What will he say when NU once again sits atop the Big Ten West at the end of the 2021 regular season. Fitz is great but the rest of the college football world greatly under appreciates the talent that is on NU's roster these days. This is the most talented roster top to bottom that NU has ever had and I suspect we'll continue to say that every year for the foreseeable future given how well we are recruiting.

By the way, OSU is down a bit this year (largely because of QB) and ripe for the picking. This is the year another team will hoist the conference championship trophy in Indianapolis. Here's hoping its Fitz and the Cats.

Add Rashod Bateman or one of Wisconsin’s better WRs to last year’s team and we’d have gotten it done.

Fitz is a class act
Experts say "Does More With Less"
Sometimes less is more

If he had someone
To watch guy who didn't play
He'd beat Wisconsin

Reactions: ubercat
No offense to Fitz, but why didn’t the writer choose one of the current B1G coaches who’s actually beaten OSU?

Brohm, Ferentz, and even Franklin have each pulled it off.

Shocker, the Wisconsin guy picks Wisconsin position groups to fill out most of the squad. What will he say when NU once again sits atop the Big Ten West at the end of the 2021 regular season. Fitz is great but the rest of the college football world greatly under appreciates the talent that is on NU's roster these days. This is the most talented roster top to bottom that NU has ever had and I suspect we'll continue to say that every year for the foreseeable future given how well we are recruiting.

By the way, OSU is down a bit this year (largely because of QB) and ripe for the picking. This is the year another team will hoist the conference championship trophy in Indianapolis. Here's hoping its Fitz and the Cats.
I still think we (OSU) win the Big 10 championship. The key will be the back 7 on defense. Our young CBs need to step up. We lose all 3 LBs but the back-ups have all been in the program 2-3 years and have game experience. USC transfer Palaie Gaoteote will add to the LB depth. Offensively, QB is the big question. But the OL should be solid, the WR group is the strongest position on the team and we have good depth at RB. Day did a pretty decent job in coaching Haskins as a first time starter and I expect the same with the new QB.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

With all due respect I think you are going to be disappointed with your expectation of another team winning the league this year. Yes the Bucks are breaking in a new quarterback but what a talented qb room they have. Add in an amazing group of wide recievers along with a very talented group of running backs you had better be able to score a lot of points against them. Best of luck this season. Much respect the Wildcats and your coach.

If it takes the entire B1G conference to beat tOSU, the conference has a bigger problem than beating OSU.
We do. When was the last conference champion not named dOSU? While the pundits all suggest that the quality of the conference is based strictly on how the top team or two, I would suggest exactly the opposite. We need more competitive balance and it seems more like we are going the other way.

Way back when, they used to say that the conference got a certain number of "blue chip" players each year in recruiting (now those would be top 4 and 5 star guys.) At the time, between dOSU and Michigan they would have 80-90% of them (if there were 40 of them in the conference, dOSU and Michigan would have about 16 to 18 each while the rest of the conference might average 1 each. It was bad then but even with improvements in other programs likely even worse going forward as dOSU has a roster of 60-80 of those Blue Chip players. The rest of the conference just becomes fodder so that dOSU can get into CFP. It is similar in a lot of other conferences and I don't feel it is healthy for the sport. Pros try to address this with the draft giving access to top talent to the worst teams but no such attempt to balance things exists in CFB

We do. When was the last conference champion not named dOSU? While the pundits all suggest that the quality of the conference is based strictly on how the top team or two, I would suggest exactly the opposite. We need more competitive balance and it seems more like we are going the other way.

Way back when, they used to say that the conference got a certain number of "blue chip" players each year in recruiting (now those would be top 4 and 5 star guys.) At the time, between dOSU and Michigan they would have 80-90% of them (if there were 40 of them in the conference, dOSU and Michigan would have about 16 to 18 each while the rest of the conference might average 1 each. It was bad then but even with improvements in other programs likely even worse going forward as dOSU has a roster of 60-80 of those Blue Chip players. The rest of the conference just becomes fodder so that dOSU can get into CFP. It is similar in a lot of other conferences and I don't feel it is healthy for the sport. Pros try to address this with the draft giving access to top talent to the worst teams but no such attempt to balance things exists in CFB
You are right, tOSU, or at least the factors that have created OSU, are not healthy for the sport. What is the point to the same team (s) being the conference champion every year?

The RB group should have been Iowa. Goodson and Kelly-Martin are better and more proven compared to the Wisconsin guys.
So much of the running game depends on the OL and focus on the running game. And WIS, IA tend to excel in that area. NU coming up fast, though. In the East, who tends to have good OL's besides dOSU? Probably PSU and Mich.

You are right, tOSU, or at least the factors that have created OSU, are not healthy for the sport. What is the point to the same team (s) being the conference champion every year?
It's just not OSU in the B1G. Alabama (SEC), Clemson (ACC). Oklahoma (Big 12) have all dominated their conferences over the last several years.

It's just not OSU in the B1G. Alabama (SEC), Clemson (ACC). Oklahoma (Big 12) have all dominated their conferences over the last several years.
What we are talking about is the concentration of power to a very few teams. dOSU is in the BIG and so they are used as an example of the situation. But if you take a look at those other conferences, they have similar issues. And with the money those top programs rake in year after year and have to distribute it will basically be a bunch of amateur teams going up against a handful of pro teams. It is not a good thing. Not a good thing for College FootBall

I’ve said for years and the more recent changes in college football just confirms it more for me. Eventually there will be a breakout super conference or division.
It won’t be made up of P5 Conferences as some have suggested, but literally 30-40 teams.
They will abandon the Bowl system, and forget about traditional rivalries.players will be paid, there will be a true playoff system, and huge TV contracts. For all intent and purposes, a true professional minor league.

I think the rest of college football will go back to a more regional game.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
I’ve said for years and the more recent changes in college football just confirms it more for me. Eventually there will be a breakout super conference or division.
It won’t be made up of P5 Conferences as some have suggested, but literally 30-40 teams.
They will abandon the Bowl system, and forget about traditional rivalries.players will be paid, there will be a true playoff system, and huge TV contracts. For all intent and purposes, a true professional minor league.

Yikes! Dystopia.

Like the Super League in European soccer?

Like the Super League in European soccer?
Possibly. Or just a set group of teams. It’s purely about the money.

The benefit is it would balance things out in college football. Right now we have a system with obvious tiers and few having chances of cracking the top 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT