ADVERTISEMENT

Teddy G’s Final Power Rankings

NU clearly deserved to be ranked #2 in the B1G. As pointed out, if dOSU doesn't get a lucky break against Maryland, we would've faced Michigan in the BTC, and I liked our chances the second time against Michigan. Their team was similar to Utah.

The Utes were pretty formidable on paper. Starting with Whittingham's 11-1 record in bowl games, the Pac 12 division champs had a great defense: #2 in red zone defense, #5 in rushing defense, and #9 in TFL per game. Can't say enough of how the Cats solved that defense in the second half, for which McCall gets the credit.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
I'd thought that a "power ranking" was commonly understood to be a snapshot of who's better at the moment; a heat check, if you will. If so, I think it's pretty sound.

If I'm wrong about that and it's a wider-scoped rating based on the whole season, then 2nd is too high given our loss to Michigan, etc.

I'd thought that a "power ranking" was commonly understood to be a snapshot of who's better at the moment; a heat check, if you will. If so, I think it's pretty sound.

If I'm wrong about that and it's a wider-scoped rating based on the whole season, then 2nd is too high given our loss to Michigan, etc.
The beauty of a power ranking is it can be based on whatever methodology an author wants it to be. I would’ve put Mich 2 and NU 3, but Teddy is totally justified in flipping those and I love it. Go Cats!

Reactions: Noah121 and DaCat
Looking at the whole body of work over the season is good, but it's how you end it that's important. Michigan getting completely routed by dOSU and then routed in their bowl game does not indicate the #2 team in the B1G. NU improved as the season progressed, we were a much better team at the end of the season than at the beginning, especially after losing Jeremy Larkin.

Reactions: Noah121
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT