ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible. Chargers cut Jackson to make room for Gates

Does that mean that someone else can pick him up? Or that the Chargers will put him on their "other" team?
I think he becomes available to every team and if no team claims him the chargers can put him on their practice squad, if they want

Seems like a roster game — Chargers weren’t sure he would get through waivers and Gates was going to sign soon, so keep him on the 53 for the first round of waiver claims and try to slide him through once most teams have their rosters largely set.

Seems like a roster game — Chargers weren’t sure he would get through waivers and Gates was going to sign soon, so keep him on the 53 for the first round of waiver claims and try to slide him through once most teams have their rosters largely set.

Right. He might make it through waivers. Not a ton of interest in a 7th rounder who barely played the preseason, as much as we’d wish otherwise.

Hope he can find his way to an NFL roster. If not, he might want to take a look at Canadian football. Sutton has had a good career up there, and I think JJ's skill set would transfer well to their style of play.

Gates was only signed because the Chargers lost his replacement early in preseason. Sounds like Justin still needs time to heal fully from his hamstring injury. Given the Chargers past history on injuries, it is likely Justin will be promoted to see action at some point if he is not picked up off the practice squad first by another team.

Gates was only signed because the Chargers lost his replacement early in preseason. Sounds like Justin still needs time to heal fully from his hamstring injury. Given the Chargers past history on injuries, it is likely Justin will be promoted to see action at some point if he is not picked up off the practice squad first by another team.

What's the rule on practice squad players? If another team wants him, what kind of compensation is needed to acquire him?

What's the rule on practice squad players? If another team wants him, what kind of compensation is needed to acquire him?

I think teams can essentially sign players off practice squads as they want, but have to carry that player on the active roster for some time. 4 games maybe?

I think teams can essentially sign players off practice squads as they want, but have to carry that player on the active roster for some time. 4 games maybe?

Don't believe there is a rule on specific time they have to be carried on the 53, but if signed to a 53, they are entitled to three weeks of game checks at a minimum if cut before that time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT