ADVERTISEMENT

Thamel - Time to face reality, no-one is playing college football in the fall

I'd go one step further and say most college students won't step foot on campus this fall except for some hybrid courses to keep international students eligible to stay in the country.

And I'll stop there so that we don't have to move to the Rant board.

I'd go one step further and say most college students won't step foot on campus this fall except for some hybrid courses to keep international students eligible to stay in the country.

I'll go one step further and say most high school, elementary school and day cares will be virtual too!

I guess what you are saying is most colleges will reverse course in the next 30 days then. I have my doubts.

I guess what you are saying is most colleges will reverse course in the next 30 days then. I have my doubts.
If you remember how quickly things shut down in March, including sending every college kid in the country home, then you begin to realize these things can happen very quickly.

Reactions: kreggk and NUCat320
Sure can, just didn’t know if this was your prediction or not.
Yes, it is. And now that the foreign student order has been reversed, that removes another obstacle.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it. College is soooo much more than classes and little of that other stuff can be done online. That said, many of those activities - events, concerts, sports, parties, gatherings - would be cancelled on campuses anyway, so sending students back may result in all of the risks with little of the rewards.

Yes, it is. And now that the foreign student order has been reversed, that removes another obstacle.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it. College is soooo much more than classes and little of that other stuff can be done online. That said, many of those activities - events, concerts, sports, parties, gatherings - would be cancelled on campuses anyway, so sending students back may result in all of the risks with little of the rewards.
The High School and Junior High level is what concerns me with remote learning. Not many at that age are disciplined enough to get the same thing out of on-line learning. I surely wasn’t.

I guess I better cancel my daughters move in time slot at Marquette. 5 weeks and counting.

[QUOTE="And I'll stop there so that we don't have to move to the Rant board.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. No need to go to the MSNBC Board where intelligence and intelligent discourse go to die.

Last edited:
My alma mater, Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisc., announced today that any student who wants to be on campus this fall may do so.

However, any student or professor who wants to do things remotely may do so.

So whether we have in-person college in the fall remains a fluid situation.

Most college football players want to play football in the fall, even without a vaccine.

My sense is that most college football players would also rather cancel the season than play in the spring.

Most college football players want to play football in the fall, even without a vaccine.

My sense is that most college football players would also rather cancel the season than play in the spring.

From what are these beliefs derived? Would love to see some stuff on this topic. Thanks.

From what are these beliefs derived? Would love to see some stuff on this topic. Thanks.

I'll answer for BP, the first is consistent with what Coach Fitz reported regarding our own players from whom he has sought input.

My alma mater, Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisc., announced today that any student who wants to be on campus this fall may do so.

However, any student or professor who wants to do things remotely may do so.

So whether we have in-person college in the fall remains a fluid situation.

Somewhat related. Our local primary and secondary school system here in Anchorage has opted to have half the students (based on their position in the alphabet) attend in person for 5 hours on Monday and Tuesday and the other half on Thursday and Friday. Wednesday will be for teacher inservice and sanitization of the school classrooms. Any parent who wants to keep their student home is allowed to and they can either participate in an online program or be home schooled.

Money quote:

“I cringe when I hear administrators saying that the health and safety of the student-athletes is first and foremost,” said a Power Five coach. “No, it’s not. If it was, you would have already punted the season.”
No evidence that students would be more at risk by going to school.

Unfortunately, science has taken a back seat to Democrats and marxist who are more concerned with "Get Trump".
Sad

No evidence that students would be more at risk by going to school.

Unfortunately, science has taken a back seat to Democrats and marxist who are more concerned with "Get Trump".
Sad

Im not going to get into polticis here (wrong board, rant board, okay) but there are, of course, studies that say otherwise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/health/coronavirus-children-transmission-school.html

The fact is

1. I read all the opinions. I watch MSNBC and I watch Fox News.

2. This is a completely new unprecedented thing. I don't care what anybody says, nobody really knows what the freak (would have used a worse word but - family forum) is going on. \

So maybe the best way to go is super caution, I dunno. Or experiment. Or half and half. I have no idea but what I have is a rapidly growing son (two of them actually) who would love to attend Northwestern and we don't have any idea of what will happen. (In my case we still have a few years, I fell for parents of today's HS Seniors).

No more. The rest to the rant board.

Go Cats.

The issue with the European study is that they have controlled their disease. And if your notice that ALL of the children in line are wearing masks. Also, we have not yet determined the mechanism as to why the young tolerate the disease better than older, comorbid adults. Is the immune system not yet ready to produce the cytokine storm that kills so ,amy or worsens the disease process? Is there some type of tolerance to the virus in young people that is lost in adults.? Or is the immune system in adults so prepared for a response that they bet sicker? These, amd all other answers will be brought to you, "If the Price is Right!!" Research has to be ongoing and not guided by the orange cheeto's gut.

Reactions: kreggk and willycat
The High School and Junior High level is what concerns me with remote learning. Not many at that age are disciplined enough to get the same thing out of on-line learning. I surely wasn’t.

I guess I better cancel my daughters move in time slot at Marquette. 5 weeks and counting.
Except high school students are probably the most dangerous group of all young students. If anything, I'd consider sending back young children very carefully, but keeping the HS'ers at home.

This whole things sucks and it didn't have to be this way!!!

I found it kind of funny that in the thread about our Running Backs, there was a video of Darnell Autry. At one point the announcer, it might have been Keith Jackson said something like ," He doesn't look like he is playing with a 102 degree fever but that was the pregame report."

I'm not sure what my point is. I sure don't want them on the field if they have Covid, but guys have been slobbering germs on each other on the field forever.

I found it kind of funny that in the thread about our Running Backs, there was a video of Darnell Autry. At one point the announcer, it might have been Keith Jackson said something like ," He doesn't look like he is playing with a 102 degree fever but that was the pregame report."

I'm not sure what my point is. I sure don't want them on the field if they have Covid, but guys have been slobbering germs on each other on the field forever.
Very true. And they’ve also been knocking each other unconscious since the game began - however no one seems to blink an eye about that anymore.

Here’s an article that breaks down the looming catastrophe for college football - and academia - due to COVId-19:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/18/wil...hat-a-lost-season-means-for-ncaa-economy.html

Very true. And they’ve also been knocking each other unconscious since the game began - however no one seems to blink an eye about that anymore.

Here’s an article that breaks down the looming catastrophe for college football - and academia - due to COVId-19:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/18/wil...hat-a-lost-season-means-for-ncaa-economy.html
Certainly seems this is the time, to finally to realize the collage football and basketball are just minor leagues for the pros. Thus it's time that the NFL and NBA pay up and support those programs. Oh and pay the workers.

Here’s what the NCAA should have done as a Public Health Service [sarcasm] -

Issue a statement that the 2020 CFB schedule will remain in place. Games may be played if Universities and their communities have demonstrated good control of COVID cases, testing and tracing. If not, the home team forfeits the game. Whoever gets through the schedule with the most wins gets to the CFP.

Florida, Georgia, Texas and Alabama would have the highest rates of mask compliance in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT