ADVERTISEMENT

The “It’s a Wonderful Life” Sequence in the Holiday Bowl

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
In Frank Capra’s classic holiday movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”, the hero, George Bailey, gets to see how the world would be without him in it.
In the game last Monday, it seems both Utah fans and NU fans agree that a key turning point was Utah’s last possession of the first half where, after intercepting a Thorson pass in Cats’ territory, they failed to reach the end zone, settling for a field goal instead and a 17 point rather than 21 point lead.

On the Ute board, a thread discussing turning points had several posters believing that the play on first and goal from the 10, where J.R. Pace pretty clearly interfered, and possibly grabbed a face mask, without getting flagged was the moment the game was lost. The several Ute fans who cited the play felt the no call took away a touchdown.

The reason I evoked Frank Capra’s movie is that this is a play where we all got to see what the game would have been like if the call had been made. Two plays later, Newsome was flagged (on what appeared to be a make up call) for interference in the end zone, placing the ball on the 2 with a first down. This is exactly the situation Utah would have been in had the call been made on first down. Since a face mask is a half the distance penalty and the PI a spot foul, had both infractions been called, Utah would have declined the face mask call, accepted the PI, and had first and goal at the 2. It is possible that the karma would have been different if the call was made on first down, but they ended up with an identical opportunity to put the ball in the end zone and didn’t.

What is interesting about the sequence, and indicative of how the Cats’ defense was taking over the game (and in my mind, why it really was a turning point), is that because of the no call, Utah actually had more chances to score a touchdown than they would have had if the call had been made. If the call had been made, they would have had 3 plays from the 2 before settling for a FG. As it turned out, they had the same 3 tries from the 2, but they also had 2 more tries from the 10, an incomplete pass and the questionable PI call on an incomplete pass, where if the receiver had made the catch, they would have declined the penalty for a touchdown. The Cats’ defense established real dominance in that sequence, and Utah had only one more threat to score the rest of the game.

I guess if you are a Cat fan, it is a wonderful life these days.

Last edited:
Perhaps they are thinking if the guy wasn’t interfered with at all, he would have made the TD catch. Seems like a pretty shaky premise if you’re already up 14 before halftime and a non-PI call ends up losing the game for you - after getting a PI call in the end zone 2 plays later.

Their TE dropping the TD pass that hit him in the hands, that was the next play, right? Seems like they should point to that as more the missed opportunity but then they have to put the blame on their own player.

My two favorite pieces of trivia from the movie are that Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver were the source for the Muppet names, and that Nick the bartender was played by Sheldon Leonard, whose name was the source for those of the two Physicists, Sheldon Cooper and Leonard Hofstadter, in The Big Bang series.

Reactions: Bwm57
Perhaps they are thinking if the guy wasn’t interfered with at all, he would have made the TD catch. Seems like a pretty shaky premise if you’re already up 14 before halftime and a non-PI call ends up losing the game for you - after getting a PI call in the end zone 2 plays later.

Their TE dropping the TD pass that hit him in the hands, that was the next play, right? Seems like they should point to that as more the missed opportunity but then they have to put the blame on their own player.

Missed calls are the source of 95% of fans’ grievances and grief, I think. Of the other 5%, most are offensive line coaching problems, with the rest being recruiting and general crankiness.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmellyCat
Missed calls are the source of 95% of fans’ grievances and grief, I think. Of the other 5%, most are offensive line coaching problems, with the rest being recruiting and general crankiness.

In a game day thread, if we're losing crankiness rises to about 80%.

Reactions: rmndcat

You know what, if their QB had not played so well in the first half, we would'd have been behind 20-3. Not a very convincing arguement but it's the same logic used to argue that Utah would have won if Pace had not interfered with their WR.

A toast to our big brother Fitz: the richest man in town!

I guess one reason I started this thread is a memory of Frank Capra attending a Tech Auditorium screening of “It’s a Wonderful Life” sometime in the period when it had yet to become a recognized classic. He answered questions afterward and was thoughtful and gracious. I think there may have been about 75 people in the audience, but it was a long time ago and I may be a little off in that recollection. I do remember walking out the main entrance afterward and seeing his signature in the after-hours sign in bookthat used to be in the entry foyer, and being tempted to tear out the page and keep it.

You know what, if their QB had not played so well in the first half, we would'd have been behind 20-3. Not a very convincing arguement but it's the same logic used to argue that Utah would have won if Pace had not interfered with their WR.

Or if they hadn’t gotten lucky because our WR had one go right through his hands for an INT, they wouldn’t even have had that possession down in the red zone.

I guess one reason I started this thread is a memory of Frank Capra attending a Tech Auditorium screening of “It’s a Wonderful Life” sometime in the period when it had yet to become a recognized classic. He answered questions afterward and was thoughtful and gracious. I think there may have been about 75 people in the audience, but it was a long time ago and I may be a little off in that recollection. I do remember walking out the main entrance afterward and seeing his signature in the after-hours sign in bookthat used to be in the entry foyer, and being tempted to tear out the page and keep it.
Huh. The movies I saw at Tech were a little different than that.

I know I saw "Beyond the Green Door" there.

And "Insatiable." Whoever was putting those together had a thing for Marilyn Chambers.

What was the name of the prof who taught Film and Literature at Tech? McConnell or O’Connell or something like that? I loved that class. A movie every Friday afternoon at Tech Aud. I’d pop $.75 in the coke machine in our basement and hit “efficiency juice.” 3 Old Styles in my backpack and off to class. About three weeks in the prof walked by me sitting in the back row, and saw my beers as he walked by. After walking about ten steps past me he turned, came back and grabbed one of my beers, and popped it open as he sat on the stage talking about the movie we were going to see. Cool guy whatever’s his name was...

What was the name of the prof who taught Film and Literature at Tech? McConnell or O’Connell or something like that? I loved that class. A movie every Friday afternoon at Tech Aud. I’d pop $.75 in the coke machine in our basement and hit “efficiency juice.” 3 Old Styles in my backpack and off to class. About three weeks in the prof walked by me sitting in the back row, and saw my beers as he walked by. After walking about ten steps past me he turned, came back and grabbed one of my beers, and popped it open as he sat on the stage talking about the movie we were going to see. Cool guy whatever’s his name was...

Was it Frank McConnell, who wrote "Storytelling and Mythmaking?"

Someone alert @EvanstonCat : I thought these types of “classes” only existed at OSU?

Reactions: SciCat
Yes I think it was. It was actually a pretty thought provoking class - finding parallels between movies and literature. Perhaps not as good as “The Cultural Aspecs of Baseball and Football in American Society,” but good class nonetheless

Reactions: drewjin
I took ‘Film and Lit’ (if that’s what it was called) in the mid-70s. I remember that the first film was ‘Man of Aran’. McConnell taught it.

You mean Frank “Snort ‘n Sniff” McConnell.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT