ADVERTISEMENT

The "All Turk" Pre Season Top 22 Player rankings, including analysis

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
1. Nick VanHoose- noted by Big Ten Coaches as a preseason second team All Big Ten, this guy is a game changer who is not only solid against the pass but plays as a LB with solid closing speed and brutal hitting against the run. Gets the "All Turk" 5 star game changing player.

2. Justin Jackson- Tabbed for various pre season national awards and voted by the Big Ten Coaches as an All Big Ten player, Justin Jackson is a 5 star All Turk that is a game changing player. Playing behind a make shift of journeyman offensive linemen, he still couldn't be denied. Touched the ball almost 300 times and only fumbled once.

3. Dean Lowry - A load who will help lead a DL that can control the line of scrimmage. The Dean of Defense will allow our backers to collect plenty of tackles this year.

4. Dan Vitale - An All Turk 4 star that should bounce back and have a great year. A superman freak of nature that needs to be incorporated moreso into the offense in order to get more touches.

5. Matthew Harris- Our best cover man on the team. Gets the prestigious All Turk 4 star.

6. Traveon Henry- Traveon joins a recent and ongoing list of big hitting safeties at NU. As a fan, I love when I hear a tackle. Big and linebackerlike but graceful enough to get INT"s along the sideline. A All Turk 4 star.

7. Greg Kuhar* - Simply put, our best run stopper on the team. Against run teams like Wisconsin and Minny, he excelled. Got banged up during the season then suffered a season ending injury against Notre Dame. Showed enough quickness to the QB in passing downs that he became an all around solid DL.

8. Drew Smith - Mr Smith came to Evanston and when he is on the field, makes you wonder what took him so long to start. Although he showed awesome play, and is perhaps the biggest freak of nature on the team, he started to separate himself later in the year, particularly against Illinois. There will be no stopping his potential this year.

9. Christian Jones - The Devil got a hold of Mr Jones and bit him with the injury bug. Reports have him at close to 100% but I don't fully expect him to play up to his par until late in the season. In other words, he has potential to move up from here but he shouldn't make any college fantasy rosters anytime soon. Excells in mid range passes where he uses his big body to block out and can catch just about any pass tossed to him. Great blocker as well.

10. Geoff Mogus; The first OL in the All Turk rankings, but a good one. Should help stabilize an otherwise suspicious and new offensive line this year. Blue Collar family and tough as nails LSE guy in the same cloth as Keenan was.

11. Anthony Walker- An exciting player who has shown that he is not only capable but an anchor in the middle. That said, his potential hasn't been reached, so look for incredible things from him this year.

12. Cameron Dickerson- 2014 wasn't him out there. He started the season with a hand injury that stayed tender and it caused him to drop a significant amount of balls or make catches with his chest and shoulders. Just wasn't comfortable. That said, when he caught the ball, he was a beast to bring down. Healthy now, I look for him to regain his confidence and have a breakout year. Great blocking downfield, as always, but I hope McCall gets the ball to him in one on one matchups with quick sideline passes. Corners have a seriously tough time bringing him down. That's why his YPC last year was over 13 yards.

13. Soloman Vault- an exciting player whose season was short lived. Looked really promising until a hamstring injury slowed him down then another injury knocked him out for the season. In his 8 games he played, he took it to the house 3 times and averaged 50 yards all purpose per game. That productivity will go up, regardless of who the QB is.

14. Xavier Washington- Xwas had a solid year going, but his small frame had him gassed out by year end. It's not every game where a true freshman puts a solid upper classman on the bench. A true talent who could really move up on this list.

15. Deonte Gibson- A solid DE who has gotten better in each year.

16. Warren Long- A power runner who isn't slow. Not just a change of pace back for JJ but a back who can hold his own and even take over a feature role.

17. Sean McEvilly- A shell of his past after all of his injuries and it makes me wonder if he has anything left. If so, then this guy is a load and will not only compete but complete an otherwise solid DL.

18. Matt Frazier- Should offer some experience in an otherwise new offensive line.

19. Miles Shuler- An electrifying player from point A to point B. Playing to his strengths by having him run routes where his perspective can see the QB in his sightline is key, as he has great difficulty picking up the ball in flight, looking up. That said, if used properly on screens and routes where he doesn't have to catch over the shoulder, this guy could be a game changer, and could really excel. Tough as nails, maybe the fastest guy on the team, so let's give him the pill a bit more, but do it in a smart way. Also, keep him off kickoff return.

20. Godwin Igwebulke- Maybe this is too low for him, and certainly he has nowhere to go but up from this position. Nonetheless, he is solid and could become a great one. Had a helluva game against Wisconsin and I'm sure he has more of those coming.

21. Ifeadi Odenigbo- Our best pass rusher and will really be a force if we are ahead in games this year. Needs work on rush defense.

22. Jack Mitchell - Solid FG kicker who may win a few games for us this year. His constant booming kickoffs were also comforting.

Other notables: Clayton Thorson, Max Chapman, CJ Robbins, Austin Anderson, Garrett Dickerson, Shane Mertz, Brad North, Marcus McShephard

1. Nick VanHoose- noted by Big Ten Coaches as a preseason second team All Big Ten, this guy is a game changer who is not only solid against the pass but plays as a LB with solid closing speed and brutal hitting against the run. Gets the "All Turk" 5 star game changing player.

2. Justin Jackson- Tabbed for various pre season national awards and voted by the Big Ten Coaches as an All Big Ten player, Justin Jackson is a 5 star All Turk that is a game changing player. Playing behind a make shift of journeyman offensive linemen, he still couldn't be denied. Touched the ball almost 300 times and only fumbled once.

3. Dean Lowry - A load who will help lead a DL that can control the line of scrimmage. The Dean of Defense will allow our backers to collect plenty of tackles this year.

4. Dan Vitale - An All Turk 4 star that should bounce back and have a great year. A superman freak of nature that needs to be incorporated moreso into the offense in order to get more touches.

5. Matthew Harris- Our best cover man on the team. Gets the prestigious All Turk 4 star.

6. Traveon Henry- Traveon joins a recent and ongoing list of big hitting safeties at NU. As a fan, I love when I hear a tackle. Big and linebackerlike but graceful enough to get INT"s along the sideline. A All Turk 4 star.

7. Greg Kuhar* - Simply put, our best run stopper on the team. Against run teams like Wisconsin and Minny, he excelled. Got banged up during the season then suffered a season ending injury against Notre Dame. Showed enough quickness to the QB in passing downs that he became an all around solid DL.

8. Drew Smith - Mr Smith came to Evanston and when he is on the field, makes you wonder what took him so long to start. Although he showed awesome play, and is perhaps the biggest freak of nature on the team, he started to separate himself later in the year, particularly against Illinois. There will be no stopping his potential this year.

9. Christian Jones - The Devil got a hold of Mr Jones and bit him with the injury bug. Reports have him at close to 100% but I don't fully expect him to play up to his par until late in the season. In other words, he has potential to move up from here but he shouldn't make any college fantasy rosters anytime soon. Excells in mid range passes where he uses his big body to block out and can catch just about any pass tossed to him. Great blocker as well.

10. Geoff Mogus; The first OL in the All Turk rankings, but a good one. Should help stabilize an otherwise suspicious and new offensive line this year. Blue Collar family and tough as nails LSE guy in the same cloth as Keenan was.

11. Anthony Walker- An exciting player who has shown that he is not only capable but an anchor in the middle. That said, his potential hasn't been reached, so look for incredible things from him this year.

12. Cameron Dickerson- 2014 wasn't him out there. He started the season with a hand injury that stayed tender and it caused him to drop a significant amount of balls or make catches with his chest and shoulders. Just wasn't comfortable. That said, when he caught the ball, he was a beast to bring down. Healthy now, I look for him to regain his confidence and have a breakout year. Great blocking downfield, as always, but I hope McCall gets the ball to him in one on one matchups with quick sideline passes. Corners have a seriously tough time bringing him down. That's why his YPC last year was over 13 yards.

13. Soloman Vault- an exciting player whose season was short lived. Looked really promising until a hamstring injury slowed him down then another injury knocked him out for the season. In his 8 games he played, he took it to the house 3 times and averaged 50 yards all purpose per game. That productivity will go up, regardless of who the QB is.

14. Xavier Washington- Xwas had a solid year going, but his small frame had him gassed out by year end. It's not every game where a true freshman puts a solid upper classman on the bench. A true talent who could really move up on this list.

16. Warren Long- A power runner who isn't slow. Not just a change of pace back for JJ but a back who can hold his own and even take over a feature role.

17. Sean McEvilly- A shell of his past after all of his injuries and it makes me wonder if he has anything left. If so, then this guy is a load and will not only compete but complete an otherwise solid DL.

18. Matt Frazier- Should offer some experience in an otherwise new offensive line.

19. Miles Shuler- An electrifying player from point A to point B. Playing to his strengths by having him run routes where his perspective can see the QB in his sightline is key, as he has great difficulty picking up the ball in flight, looking up. That said, if used properly on screens and routes where he doesn't have to catch over the shoulder, this guy could be a game changer, and could really excel. Tough as nails, maybe the fastest guy on the team, so let's give him the pill a bit more, but do it in a smart way. Also, keep him off kickoff return.

20. Godwin Igwebulke- Maybe this is too low for him, and certainly he has nowhere to go but up from this position. Nonetheless, he is solid and could become a great one. Had a helluva game against Wisconsin and I'm sure he has more of those coming.

21. Ifeadi Odenigbo- Our best pass rusher and will really be a force if we are ahead in games this year. Needs work on rush defense.

22. Jack Mitchell - Solid FG kicker who may win a few games for us this year. His constant booming kickoffs were also comforting.

Other notables: Clayton Thorson, Max Chapman, CJ Robbins, Austin Anderson, Garrett Dickerson, Shane Mertz, Brad North, Marcus McShephard

Very good analysis!

Godwin is too low and Henry too high. Gibson is better than XWas. But this is one of your best efforts!

Admittedly, Godwin may be a bit low as I indicated. And I really am comfortable with Gibson, but I think Xwas has more potential and, as a true freshman, already seemed so far ahead of his time.

Reactions: Johnnybigcat
Godwin will be the best in defensive backfield by the end of the season

If this is true, the backfield will be amazing.
If Godwin ends up being the best, we will win the BIG. I mean that because the other 3 DB's are VERY GOOD, and if things are on lockdown back there then Doc will be able to have all sorts of blitz packages to wreck havoc. Never mind that Marcus McShephard would be starting on most other BIG teams. Yet the most recruited player Westphall [sp?] is suppose to also be solid.

If Godwin ends up being the best, we will win the BIG. I mean that because the other 3 DB's are VERY GOOD, and if things are on lockdown back there then Doc will be able to have all sorts of blitz packages to wreck havoc. Never mind that Marcus McShephard would be starting on most other BIG teams. Yet the most recruited player Westphall [sp?] is suppose to also be solid.

Don't the Cats also have to play offense? Much bigger ?'s there than on D.

Don't the Cats also have to play offense? Much bigger ?'s there than on D.
Sure they have to play offense, but when I think of this year, I think of Thorson, much like I thought of Kafka starting as a redshirt freshman. Kafka (and then CJ) had to be pressed to do things and take additional risks due to a fairly awful defense. Our defense gave up an avg of 37 points a game in our 6 Big Ten losses. Not sure if that was the end of the Colby experiment or not.

This year, it seems to me, that Thorson will be in a learning mode, but with at least a decent defense, unlike 2006, I think he will have a luxury that CJ and Kafka didn't have and won't be pressed to take additional risk. IMO, if he can at least 'manage' the game and limit turnovers, we should be in most games. And unlike Kafka, Thorson didn't come to NU as a raw QB.

At any rate, much about our offense is unknown, unless we base it off of last year, and I'm uncomfortable doing that. Our OL has to get better. I really do believe that Cam Dickerson will be solid. Who knows about Thorson but we can be hopeful there. We only saw glimpses of Vault, and who knows about Anderson, or when Christian Jones will be 100%?

Perhaps the only thing we know about our offense is that Jackson is the real deal, and that he doesn't fumble. And we can be impressed with Long and can have confidence with Mogus on the OL.

Our OL has to get better. .

Why?

They will have some young guys starting for the first time. What if they aren't better? What if in fact they aren't even as good as last year? Could be a long season......

North and mertz if that holds up will be only guys starting for first time and park and diepetro have started before! Mogus is left tackle and Olson has started at right!

Why isn't that surprising? I didn't think McShephards injury last year was career ending. Surprising and disappointing. This one hurts.

I think he was referring to #17 on your list (McEvilly), though I might be wrong.

Why did they move Mahoney to offense? Sounds like we are going to need all the help we can get on the DL. Lots of expectations for Lancaster and Oxley...hope they are up for it.
Mahoney really improved and fought really hard in the trenches, but the fact that he was moved suggest that Robbins, Chapman, and others are improving. We did go to a 4 man DE lineup a lot last year so it could also be that Ifeadi may get more plays while Lowry goes inside. Whatever the case, our OL is the weakest unit and I"m not sure why. A quick look at the roster shows a bunch of hogs [big and weighty, which is a good thing] and 3 star guys, so I'm assuming they hit the weight room and will look stronger this year showing more muscle mass.

When I observe a Iowa or Wisconsin OL, the arms of those OL are huge, which shows some very hard work going on, presuming steroid free.

Good post Turk. Surprised you have Cam so high but I'll go with your analysis of him. Godwin really should be higher. My concern is our depth. I'm thinking several true freshmen will burn their shirts this year.
I look forward to your grades this year.

Good post Turk. Surprised you have Cam so high but I'll go with your analysis of him. Godwin really should be higher. My concern is our depth. I'm thinking several true freshmen will burn their shirts this year.
I look forward to your grades this year.
The grades will be coming. It's hard for me to imagine any of our new recruits playing this year other than maybe Nagel and Roberts. Usually, we get 3 or 4 who burn their shirt so I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Just seen a walk thru pic on Twitter( nufbfamily) line was
Lt. Mogus
LG park
C. North
Rg. Mertz
Rt Olson
I thought Frazier outplayed Park last year. So it seems as if Park has regained the spot. And Olson had some potential but it seemed to me that he needed to seriously bulk up.

I thought Frazier outplayed Park last year. So it seems as if Park has regained the spot. And Olson had some potential but it seemed to me that he needed to seriously bulk up

I thinking Frazier is sidelined cause rg was his spot

That's just great. Frazier is the second best returning lineman and is already hurt. Must be something wrong with the way they lift, which is all I can imagine for him being hurt.

That must be it. The NU strength and conditioning coaches probably don't know how to lift weights.

That must be it. The NU strength and conditioning coaches probably don't know how to lift weights.
I watched the autobiography video of Kyle Prater's and he was one of the players who has been oft injured. Even missed the last game of the year after, yet another injury. He indicated, explicitly, that he may have been overtraining, although he did have some bad luck with even a fractured finger that got infected. I wonder how many injuries are upper body or lower body, because it seems like hamstring injuries have really knocked us in the head. That may not have anything to do with lifting/conditioning. Maybe roni can come in and have a yoga class. lol.

Very good analysis Turk! I'll tell you what though in listening to some of the things that Fitz has said lately, I think more and more true freshman make this team. To that point I believe that like JJ last year, this year Flynn Nagel is the guy.

Very good analysis Turk! I'll tell you what though in listening to some of the things that Fitz has said lately, I think more and more true freshman make this team. To that point I believe that like JJ last year, this year Flynn Nagel is the guy.
That would he great news. In my opinion, the WR corps is the weakest unit in the roster. It would be great to have Nagel earn time and be productive.

You think so? He has an opening I guess. Not sure which true freshmen joined the team early this year. We need a slot guy who can run routes. I love Vault but I'm not comfortable with either him or Shuler's route running at this time, although both can be electrifying. How much real quickness does Nagel have? If he can morph into a sorta Westercamp [from Nebraska] or a quicker version of Zeke, then we may have something.

With the retirement of McEvilly and the announced staph infection of Frazier, the top 22 and add DiPietro and Lancaster. Move Godwin up 6 spots. On deck is Alviti.

You think so? He has an opening I guess. Not sure which true freshmen joined the team early this year. We need a slot guy who can run routes. I love Vault but I'm not comfortable with either him or Shuler's route running at this time, although both can be electrifying. How much real quickness does Nagel have? If he can morph into a sorta Westercamp [from Nebraska] or a quicker version of Zeke, then we may have something.
I think Nagel, like Jackson is simply a winner. You look at his high school career and he was really good. Jackson proved to everyone that he was the real deal last year. I just think when you are used to winning and playing at a high level, the rest falls into place.

This year, it seems to me, that Thorson will be in a learning mode, but with at least a decent defense, unlike 2006, I think he will have a luxury that CJ and Kafka didn't have and won't be pressed to take additional risk. IMO, if he can at least 'manage' the game and limit turnovers, we should be in most games. And unlike Kafka, Thorson didn't come to NU as a raw QB.

At any rate, much about our offense is unknown, unless we base it off of last year, and I'm uncomfortable doing that. Our OL has to get better.

Whether a young/inexperienced QB will do a good job as a game manager all goes back to the O-line/protection.

While both Barrett and Jonese are talented QBs, they looked good in large part to the the protection they had (supposedly, the dOSU O-line only gave up ONE sack in B1G play), the weapons that they could throw to and a dominant running game.

The 2 games where the dOSU QBs (Barrett) looked bad was against VT (3 INTs) - where VT was able to get good pressure on Barrett due to dusting off an old defensive scheme which confused the dOSU O-line and against PSU which had a pretty nasty D last season.

I sure hope Fitz is right in showing more comfort with the O-line.

I must replace Christian Jones since he is uncertain. And I'm moving Anthony Walker to #3. He will be the All Time NU TFL leader. Surpasing Casey Dailey and the Great Matt Rice.

The guy is a beast and has a nose for the ball like one of my All time greats, Chris Spielman. I don't always make those kinds of comparisons but He is quite simply the Most Interesting Player on the Team.
Play well my friends!

Is this uncertainty a recent event??
No. I'm just not convinced that he can or will do anything more than play a few plays as a decoy or maybe to block. Yeah, I know they say he is back, but I've seen this before with wide outs and these sorta injuries in the pros, it takes almost an entire season to get comfortable, if that, so I'm hopeful that he will be back in a legitimate starting role to contribute by BIG season. I'm not convinced he will be able to be as productive as many think. Just a big uncertainty with me, and probably an uncertainty with him that his psyche will have to work out.

The only reason why I commented about this is because I've read a few post where everyone seems to be counting on Christian Jones. That's hopeful and maybe true, but even without him, we will be fine at wide receiver, although a 100% Christian Jones would be the best wide out on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT