ADVERTISEMENT

The BoT will fire Schill because they don't want NU to become Rice

BarefootCat

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2017
Northwestern is at an inflection point. After 25-years of steadily increasing academic reputation and athletic prowess under the leadership of Henry Bienen and Morty Shapiro, a few months of Michael Schill has unwound all the positive momentum.

Rather than talking about a state-of-the-art stadium to make Northwestern a destination location for football games and NCAA lacrosse championships, Schill is now talking of downsizing and delaying the project. Schill seems comfortable with athletics on par with Rice. Rice is a good academic school, but it is irrelevant in the national conversation because their athletics are not relevant.

My guess: the BoT doesn't want Northwestern to be another Rice, and Schill will be shown the door as soon as its clear the University is trending in that direction.

Northwestern is at an inflection point. After 25-years of steadily increasing academic reputation and athletic prowess under the leadership of Henry Bienen and Morty Shapiro, a few months of Michael Schill has unwound all the positive momentum.

Rather than talking about a state-of-the-art stadium to make Northwestern a destination location for football games and NCAA lacrosse championships, Schill is now talking of downsizing and delaying the project. Schill seems comfortable with athletics on par with Rice. Rice is a good academic school, but it is irrelevant in the national conversation because their athletics are not relevant.

My guess: the BoT doesn't want Northwestern to be another Rice, and Schill will be shown the door as soon as it’s clear the University is trending in that direction.
I appreciate the commentary, but have no faith in the board that they will embrace this philosophy. I hope it’s true, but have my doubts.

Athletic success in the revenue sports has never been sustainable at NU. Not under Weber/ Bienen or Shapiro in spite of the $ put into it. I say this as fan of these sports since 1955. I have seen many highs but they are invariably followed by the lowest of lows. Back in the day Strotz was trying to create a workable conference of elite academic schools but couldn't generate much interest. In hindsight that might have been the way to gio.

Schill is now talking of downsizing and delaying the project. Schill seems comfortable with athletics on par with Rice.
Can you provide a source to back this up? I haven’t seen anything to suggest he wants to delay the project.

My guess: the BoT doesn't want Northwestern to be another Rice, and Schill will be shown the door as soon as its clear the University is trending in that direction.
Morty was at the helm through most of the hazing issue. Schill had definitely shat the bed, but let's be fair. Someone left a decade old tire fire for him to manage

Reactions: Mufasa94
I have no idea what Schill and the BoT are thinking about the long-term direction of NU and its commitment to athletics, but I am resolutely convinced that excellence in academics and athletics can not only co-exist, but be mutually reinforcing. I hope, by dint of higher power or simple enlightenment, that the BoT agrees with this and commits NU in this direction.

Unlike public universities, which often have a social mission, I think NU can and should get "greedy" when it comes to recruiting exceptional academic high school kids to come develop their talents at NU. This includes the performing arts, creative arts, "hard" sciences, social sciences, and the like. I want to see NU grads going out into the world and directing award winning screenplays and theatre; penning outstanding literature; achieving breakthroughs in biomedical science; developing methods to improve urban schools; designing policies that reduce poverty, crime and mental health disease. And so on. Northwestern has incredible assets to be a research powerhouse and a generator of intellectual talent. This should be the focus of our academic mission.

And competitive athletics should be part of this pursuit of excellence. Realistically, we are not going to national championships in football and basketball, but we can in other sports: LAX, soccer, women's ice hockey, tennis, volleyball, and so on. Stanford has done this.

Our admissions staff need to realize that exceptional high school athletes of good, but not elite academic standing already have the skills to succeed at NU. They have the focus, work ethic, discipline and time management skills to be elite athletes in high school. These habits translate very well to higher education. Get them to NU, and let them rock.

Like NUChicago, I hope you are right. Leadership is the lifeblood of any organization. In a short period of time, Schill and Gragg have failed us. I repeat myself but how can NU retain and attract world class coaches knowing their careers are in the hands of these two individuals? I believe that we can only get our ship headed in the right direction with a new President and a new AD. If you know any Trustees, let them know how you feel.

I have no idea what Schill and the BoT are thinking about the long-term direction of NU and its commitment to athletics, but I am resolutely convinced that excellence in academics and athletics can not only co-exist, but be mutually reinforcing. I hope, by dint of higher power or simple enlightenment, that the BoT agrees with this and commits NU in this direction.

Unlike public universities, which often have a social mission, I think NU can and should get "greedy" when it comes to recruiting exceptional academic high school kids to come develop their talents at NU. This includes the performing arts, creative arts, "hard" sciences, social sciences, and the like. I want to see NU grads going out into the world and directing award winning screenplays and theatre; penning outstanding literature; achieving breakthroughs in biomedical science; developing methods to improve urban schools; designing policies that reduce poverty, crime and mental health disease. And so on. Northwestern has incredible assets to be a research powerhouse and a generator of intellectual talent. This should be the focus of our academic mission.

And competitive athletics should be part of this pursuit of excellence. Realistically, we are not going to national championships in football and basketball, but we can in other sports: LAX, soccer, women's ice hockey, tennis, volleyball, and so on. Stanford has done this.

Our admissions staff need to realize that exceptional high school athletes of good, but not elite academic standing already have the skills to succeed at NU. They have the focus, work ethic, discipline and time management skills to be elite athletes in high school. These habits translate very well to higher education. Get them to NU, and let them rock.
I am not convinced many of the BOT, Administrators, and faculty see athletics as part of overall excellence.

But we need FB to do any of it because without it no BIG revenues and no support for those other programs, That is reality, That $100 mill per year does not come without it

Realistically, we are not going to national championships in football and basketball.

If Duke (and to a less extent Vanderbilt) can do it, we can do it, in basketball. Heck the final four in just the past few years has featured our friend just down south a bit at Loyola, and also San Diego State (a traditionally good basketball school but not exactly a "power" like Kansas, etc.) and Florida Atlantic.

Football, tougher, but I have a feeling Harbaugh could/would have had Stanford in the National Championship tournament had he stayed for a few more years. Might have won it too.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Can you provide a source to back this up? I haven’t seen anything to suggest he wants to delay the project.
If any of the funding is in jeapordy because of the way this is handled, how is it not delayed? And if it doesn't get done now, would it ever? Ryan and company might not be around by the time they got back around to it

Athletic success in the revenue sports has never been sustainable at NU. Not under Weber/ Bienen or Shapiro in spite of the $ put into it. I say this as fan of these sports since 1955. I have seen many highs but they are invariably followed by the lowest of lows. Back in the day Strotz was trying to create a workable conference of elite academic schools but couldn't generate much interest. In hindsight that might have been the way to gio.
We have at least put together an extended period of descent and with affiliation with the BIG, we had the source of funding which we did not have in the past. It depends on what your definition of success is, If it is to be at the level of dOSU, not going to happen but if at the level of IL, IA, MN WIS etc doable (at least it was)

We have at least put together an extended period of descent and with affiliation with the BIG, we had the source of funding which we did not have in the past. It depends on what your definition of success is, If it is to be at the level of dOSU, not going to happen but if at the level of IL, IA, MN WIS etc doable (at least it was)
Agreed. The 25 year period from 95 forward wasn't a blip. And despite the current scandal, which is terrible, it isn't as if the hazing was "required" for us to succeed. (As opposed to cheating or lowering admissions standards). We were good enough for me for a long time

I am not convinced many of the BOT, Administrators, and faculty see athletics as part of overall excellence.
Agreed. I think there are many who would be perfectly happy if NU football became more like Rice. I think This sentiment made the firing of FItz easier than it would have been at any other school in the Big Ten.

Hey, at least Rice has had a pretty strong baseball program over the past 25-30 years!

Agreed. The 25 year period from 95 forward wasn't a blip. And despite the current scandal, which is terrible, it isn't as if the hazing was "required" for us to succeed. (As opposed to cheating or lowering admissions standards). We were good enough for me for a long time
I will take the lowering standards anytime now. Watching the Jokers in charge and on this faculty makes me think they are any brighter than the folks they would be admitting!

Agreed. I think there are many who would be perfectly happy if NU football became more like Rice. I think This sentiment made the firing of FItz easier than it would have been at any other school in the Big Ten.
To be fair - Fitz likely would have been fired at a lot of P5 programs after the last two years. Not many coaches survive having a season where you don’t win a single game on American soil.

To be fair - Fitz likely would have been fired at a lot of P5 programs after the last two years. Not many coaches survive having a season where you don’t win a single game on American soil.
Then fire him for that. Don’t fire him 2 days after you suspended him for 2 weeks without any new collaborated evidence.

Reactions: corbi296
If any of the funding is in jeapordy because of the way this is handled, how is it not delayed? And if it doesn't get done now, would it ever? Ryan and company might not be around by the time they got back around to it
That's not what I was responding to. Barefootcat said "Schill is now talking of downsizing and delaying the project." I am not aware of any such talk from Schill.

In any case, Pat Ryan's statement is pretty clear that his gift is still in place for the stadium. Schill's statement indicated that the stadium plan is still in place as well. The primary source of uncertainty is negotiation with the city.

That's not what I was responding to. Barefootcat said "Schill is now talking of downsizing and delaying the project." I am not aware of any such talk from Schill.

In any case, Pat Ryan's statement is pretty clear that his gift is still in place for the stadium. Schill's statement indicated that the stadium plan is still in place as well. The primary source of uncertainty is negotiation with the city.
The gifts are part of it but the overall economics of the project and operations could be significantly affected, Think that they were trying to get concerts in there to make it make economic sense, If the community had a hard time with that before, can't see that opposition is less now. Hard to imagine someone not thinking a pause would not be brought up and with Schill being top dog it would likely come from him. Downsizing is potentially another issue and hard to know what that even means.

While I understand that we might not have seen anything from Schill bringing it up, have to imagine that it has been and he being spokes person for NU would be most likely to do it

I will take the lowering standards anytime now. Watching the Jokers in charge and on this faculty makes me think they are any brighter than the folks they would be admitting!
Yeah, clearly we lowered our standards for AD and President 😀. Apparently its not as difficult to get a PhD as I thought.

Yeah, clearly we lowered our standards for AD and President 😀. Apparently its not as difficult to get a PhD as I thought.
Kids applying to NU need to be exceptional to get admitted. Why aren’t leaders held to the same standards? It’s not like we don’t have the money, but where’s the accountability? I feel the BOT would take insult to punt on this crew as it was their decisions and egos might be bruised. Seriously, what do these guys offer that we would lose if they were not at NU?

True but that’s a completely different rational than what drove the decision.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Relatively speaking, nobody would be upset if they fired Fitzgerald for two bad years, as long as they paid him and didn't try to destroy his reputation in doing so.

There is an element of loyalty that most of the classier NU alums feel toward a guy who lived and breathed Northwestern. Schill completely and utterly violated that.

Relatively speaking, nobody would be upset if they fired Fitzgerald for two bad years, as long as they paid him and didn't try to destroy his reputation in doing so.

There is an element of loyalty that most of the classier NU alums feel toward a guy who lived and breathed Northwestern. Schill completely and utterly violated that.
What was violated more: that element of loyalty, or the players who were held down and dry humped by several of their older teammates?

Reactions: Colonel Kong
Schill chose to punish Fitzgerald as severely as he possibly could.
His intentions were obvious and undeniable.

The punishment you describe for specific players was intended to improve the team, even if it was misguided philosophically.

Once in a blue moon, the college football rags or ESPN will ask NFL players, what helped them pick the college program they went to. Stadiums and facilities have been shown to be low priorities for recruiting top talent. At best facilities are used as tie breakers if a kid has a hard time making up his mind. Getting laid at the recruiting functions actually was stated well before facilities. The promise to start from the get go was usually the top reason. NU needs to update the stadium to bring in more fans and to give the University a bit of a face lift, as the current venue is outdated to say the least. But in terms of recruiting, facilities will not help much, especially with a program that is in turmoil.

The BoT will eventually fire Schill when he unnecessarily costs the university tens of millions of dollars in legal settlements. It will just take some time.

True but that’s a completely different rational than what drove the decision
Sure - but I was noting that it doesn’t mean the BoT wants to be Rice or UChidago (maybe they do) it’s just easier to fire someone who hasn’t had much recent success. Even if he is the living embodiment of NU football (which he is). I’m not sure would have been fired if we had gone 10-2 the last two seasons. Year long ban? But it’s always easier to axe someone you view as underperforming.

Last edited:
The BoT will eventually fire Schill when he unnecessarily costs the university tens of millions of dollars in legal settlements. It will just take some time.
Until then we are stuck with an underwhelming AD.

Sure - but I was noting that it doesn’t mean the BoT wants to be Rice or UChidago (maybe they do) it’s just easier to fire someone who hasn’t had much recent success. Even if he is the living embodiment of NU football (which he is). I’m not sure would have been fired if we had gone 10-2 the last two seasons. Year long ban? But it’s always easier to axe someone you view as underperforming.
I really don’t think his record the last two seasons had any impact on his firing. Had he been 10-2 last year, I still think Schill fires him.

I really don’t think his record the last two seasons had any impact on his firing. Had he been 10-2 last year, I still think Schill fires him.
I’m a little more cynical. I think if we had won the west and finished with a great record they would have tried to be more creative. He still would have been in a mess of trouble but I think he would have had more vocal defenders on the BoT and Schill would have been more hesitant. I mean Braun could have an AWFUL year and still finish with a better record (2 or 3 wins). I think that probably gave Schill some comfort.

Agree, except I think it's "classier NU alums who care about the football program". I would guess a large percentage don't, in relation to academic and overall reputation. That goes for students too.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I’m a little more cynical. I think if we had won the west and finished with a great record they would have tried to be more creative. He still would have been in a mess of trouble but I think he would have had more vocal defenders on the BoT and Schill would have been more hesitant. I mean Braun could have an AWFUL year and still finish with a better record (2 or 3 wins). I think that probably gave Schill some comfort.
Then Schill is even more clueless than I thought. The long term damage that is being done to NU football and therefore NU athletics goes well beyond the record on the field this coming season. Fitz uniquely embodied NU football and many players came to NU because of him. He was a real life manifestation of what NU football could ideally be. Talented student athletes who are taught critical life skills that enable them as a team to overcome odds to be successful on the field and just as importantly be very successful off the field when football unavoidably ends. With Fitz no longer here, many key players are leaving and more will leave after this season and there is no line of good players around the corner to replace them. The 23 and 24 recruiting classes will be decimated. A program like NU, especially in the post NIL environment, will have a very tough time recovering from this. I think Schill's actions have relegated NU football to the bottom of the Big Ten standings for the next five years in a best case scenario and much longer in a worst case scenarios. It's not even that we will be losing, I think in years 2,3,4 post Fitz, when the impact of the decimated 23 and 24 recruiting classes will really be felt, I think the losing could be very ugly as we will struggle to even compete on the field. I think the 2023 season may be as good as it gets for a while when it comes to NU football, which is really sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaveJumper
Then Schill is even more clueless than I thought. The long term damage that is being done to NU football and therefore NU athletics goes well beyond the record on the field this coming season. Fitz uniquely embodied NU football and many players came to NU because of him. He was a real life manifestation of what NU football could ideally be. Talented student athletes who are taught critical life skills that enable them as a team to overcome odds to be successful on the field and just as importantly be very successful off the field when football unavoidably ends. With Fitz no longer here, many key players are leaving and more will leave after this season and there is no line of good players around the corner to replace them. The 23 and 24 recruiting classes will be decimated. A program like NU, especially in the post NIL environment, will have a very tough time recovering from this. I think Schill's actions have relegated NU football to the bottom of the Big Ten standings for the next five years in a best case scenario and much longer in a worst case scenarios. It's not even that we will be losing, I think in years 2,3,4 post Fitz, when the impact of the decimated 23 and 24 recruiting classes will really be felt, I think the losing could be very ugly as we will struggle to even compete on the field. I think the 2023 season may be as good as it gets for a while when it comes to NU football, which is really sad.
I agree that we will be bad - real bad - short term. But it’s not like Fitz was the only person who has ever had success at NU. Gary Barnett and Randy Walker proved that you could out scheme opponents and win. My favorite NU game of all time is the 54-51 game against Michigan. Randy Walker had no facilities.

I think at some point we can bounce back IF we identify the right coach. We still have the location, conference affiliation, and elite education going for us. We will lose recruits short-term, but the chance to start and play in the BIG is going to appeal to at least some people. Again, it won’t be much worse than what we saw during the JON years. We won one game last year against the worst coach in football. I think we can and will eventually do better.

I agree that we will be bad - real bad - short term. But it’s not like Fitz was the only person who has ever had success at NU. Gary Barnett and Randy Walker proved that you could out scheme opponents and win. My favorite NU game of all time is the 54-51 game against Michigan. Randy Walker had no facilities.

I think at some point we can bounce back IF we identify the right coach. We still have the location, conference affiliation, and elite education going for us. We will lose recruits short-term, but the chance to start and play in the BIG is going to appeal to at least some people. Again, it won’t be much worse than what we saw during the JON years. We won one game last year against the worst coach in football. I think we can and will eventually do better.

I am not saying that Fitz is the only person who could be successful at NU. I am saying the following:

- The way Fitz was treated will make it even harder for NU to attract a good replacement as they will see the environment at the University that led to Fitz's dismissal as another significant impediment for success at NU along with the academic hurdles, the NIL environment and the transfer portal. I don't think Fitz gets fired at many other P5 University's for what transpired. Just look at Iowa as a recent example. The workout scandal at Iowa was much worse than what transpired at NU in my opinion and Ferentz's program has also been marred by multiple accusations of racism and literally nothing happened to Ferentz. Coaches see that.

_ Looking at Walker/Barnett as past examples of success is shortsighted in my opinion. College football is much different now and the environment is even less favorable for NU than it was back then. NIL, the transfer portal and what some will perceive as "woke culture" are all factors that will work against NU success and in my opinion make it more difficult for them to recruit an attractive head coaching candidate.

- I think in order to truly understand NU and be able to sell as strengths what others view as impediments, a coach really needs to have experienced NU first hand. Fitz was the embodiment of what NU football as a player and as a program can ideally be. Lightly recruited HS player with incredible work ethic, smarts and desire surrounded by like minded teammates turns moribund program into a Big Ten Champ and makes himself into a two time defensive college football player of the year. Not only that but he gets a degree from NU and along with his teammates goes on to achieve even greater successes off the field. Fitz is/was the real life ideal of what NU football was pitching to recruits and their parents. That pitch now has a self imposed scarlet letter on it and unfortunately natural successors from the program like a Lou Ayeni who could continue that legacy may also be tainted by what has transpired.

- Lastly, even if NU is able to overcome all the above and attract a coach that finds a way to be successful, we won't be able to retain that coach for the long term. Those coaches will not be as loyal to NU and will view success at NU as a temporary dynamic that should be used as a stepping stone for a better job. That is going to be a real problem for NU's ability to achieve long term success and stability as recruit after recruit mentioned head coaching stability as a primary reason why they choose NU. Knowing that Fitz would be here for their entire career was important to them and I doubt we'll ever get that back even if we are able to find a coach that can elevate the program back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaveJumper
Have the wild allegations of racism been walked back, amped up or laughed out of court?
Its hard to keep track.

At some point the Athletic Director has to make a public statement that allegations will not be accepted as fact, that Northwestern coaches are quality people, that problems will be addressed fairly.

Something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT