ADVERTISEMENT

The Cats Defense

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
Who woulda thought that after two games the cats would not have let up a single touchdown!!! It's great there's very promising youth in walker and safety #16 (don't wanna butcher the spelling) and established seniors like Lowry and vanhoose. There are many more solid players on the defense too. This could be an all time great cats defensive unit!

A solid overall performance, but I thought our tackling could have been a bit better. I saw missed tackles by Van Hoose, Harris and Walker...we'll need to shore that up against Duke and the B1G.

My thoughts from the game:
1. Pretty good crowd considering that we played EIU and school is not back in session;
2. The defense is stout. Our secondary is excellent led by VanHoose and Harris (two INTs and a hit that knocked a EIU WR's mouthguard out). Henry and Igwebuike all have major talent. Henry looks and plays so much better with less weight;
3. Justin Jackson is a great player. He will turn it up a notch v. Duke (hopefully);
4. RT RS FR Blake Hance played well and Mogus are doing the job at OTs.
5. Thorson has a great arm and is a dual threat.
6. Ifeadi O. is a playmaker and makes a play every other play he is on the field. He needs to be on the field more. He is a major disruptive force;
7. FR Flynn Nagel made some good plays. He will need to step up in the no. 2 or 3 WR position.

Negatives:
1. Opponents will stack the box and force Thorson to throw more. Our offensive game plan was very vanilla and conservative in the first quarter. We will have to be more balanced v. Duke and Gophies;
2. Injuries to offensive line particularly and C and OG are hurting our ability to run up the middle;
3. Special teams need to do a better job. No. 3 Keith Watkins saved a couple of big returns with shoe-string tackles.

Overall, excellent first two games. Our win over Stanford is probably the second or third best non-conference win in the Big 10 with only MSU over Ore. as more impressive. However, since MSU was favored, the argument can be made that NU's win over No. 21 Stanford was more surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT