Ryan Young had 2 pts and 7 reb in 20 minutes as a starter for Duke

Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Opening night, 11/6

Casey Simmons had 4 pts and 4 reb in 14 minutes off the bench for Yale

Julian Roper had 9 pts and 4 reb in 33 minutes as a starter for Notre Dame

Robbie Beran had 2 pts and 2 reb in 15 minutes as a starter for Virginia Tech

Ryan Young had 2 pts and 7 reb in 20 minutes as a starter for Duke

Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

How dare you report information about former Northwestern players.

I mean, we sorta know the ceilings for Young and Beran... Or I guess Young played better and more for Duke than anybody expected, but Beran was - wait - oh yeah he started for 4 years...

I am a bit fearful of Roper becoming really good. Especially at Notre Dame.

Of course, none of these things reflect on NU basketball, no matter what happens.

Any inside scoop on why Roper left? Shrewsbury is a fine coach, but ND is a bit of a mess...

It may have been Shrewsbury. It may have been NIL Lofgren.
I want to believe it was the NIL $$$.
But Roper seemed like he wanted to play a freer style of basketball and I'm not convinced he really bought in at NU after Lowery showed up to assist.

He didn't smile too much last year.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I assumed Roper looked at his future time share with Berry and the guys Collins was recruiting and decided he wanted a bigger role. But I don't have any insider info on that, just assuming.

I approve of this as the One True Thread for the former 'Cats this season. Honestly had forgotten about Simmons and that Young had eligibility.

How dare you report information about former Northwestern players.

I mean, we sorta know the ceilings for Young and Beran... Or I guess Young played better and more for Duke than anybody expected, but Beran was - wait - oh yeah he started for 4 years...

I am a bit fearful of Roper becoming really good. Especially at Notre Dame.

Of course, none of these things reflect on NU basketball, no matter what happens.

Gonna be a long year in South Bend. Roper should see plenty of minutes.

I assumed Roper looked at his future time share with Berry and the guys Collins was recruiting and decided he wanted a bigger role. But I don't have any insider info on that, just assuming.
Yeah, probably something like that. Or he was passed up by Brooks and not happy about it.

It’s too bad — honestly he has more upside than Ty and probably will prove to be more consistent. But if he wasn’t happy, no point in keeping him around to bring others down (see: Killer Mopp).

Now that he’s gone and happily at Notre Dame - he left bc he hoped to get more exposure for a chance at playing professionally. The expectation was that he’d go to smaller conference. However the minutes are there at ND. These were minutes he knew he was not going to see at NU. Roper by all accounts loved NU and left on good terms.

Now that he’s gone and happily at Notre Dame - he left bc he hoped to get more exposure for a chance at playing professionally. The expectation was that he’d go to smaller conference. However the minutes are there at ND. These were minutes he knew he was not going to see at NU. Roper by all accounts loved NU and left on good terms.
Yep. If you want to get to the NBA, you've either gotta be a 1-and-done kinda guy or starting for multiple years and improving. Pretty sure the only guy over the last few years that came off the bench and then had one year as a starter -> NBA draft is the younger Murray twin from Iowa.

This does not ring completely true.
Roper was highly recruited for an NU prospect.
Offers from Alabama, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Northwestern, Ohio State and Wisconsin.
Roper was the starter (over Berry) for the 2nd half of his promising freshman season.
Lowery came in. Berry regained the starting position.
Roper came off the bench for Berry in every game he played last season.
He rolled his ankle in January and missed a couple of games.
He re-injured the same ankle in his first game back and was done for the season.
NU's season ended on March 18th.
Micah Shrewsbury got the ND job on March 23rd.
Roper entered the portal on March 27th and committed to ND on April 18th.

Many (most?) on this message board appeared to be certain that both Buie and Audige were returning to NU.
If Audige returned, that would certainly limit Roper's playing time. If not, Roper was going to be a starter.

And then there's Shrewsberry.
“Just from my two years playing against him, I just love what he did,” the 6-foot-3 junior said of Shrewsberry ahead of an Irish team summer workout earlier this week. “And just being on the court, I could hear his voice and the confidence he gave his guys, and the freedom he let his guys play with.

“That was a big thing for me. So, once I found out he was interested, it was almost like I had to come check it out and see what he was about. And everything matched up.”

So people can say what they want. In his departing statement, Roper wrote "Being at Northwestern has been nothing short of amazing and I will forever cherish the memories I made here. I would like to thank Coach Collins for giving me the opportunity to attend such a prestigious university. Thank you for the love and support. After reflecting on my last two years I have decided to enter the transfer portal."

I don't believe for a second that he was going to step down in competition. If he was concerned about minutes, it was due to Audige's possible return. But he left so quickly it suggests he was looking while injured - and if he loved NU, then he wasn't thrilled with NU basketball.

At least he left respectfully.

Jim Phillips and son in Charlotte to watch Robbie Beran and the Hokies:
mQG5zln.png

Beran - 7 points (1 three), 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 block, and was +3 in 17 minutes as a starter, though didn't re-enter the game after 16:30 left in the 2nd half, with the exception of the final 2 seconds in VT's loss to South Carolina.

Young - 0 points, 2 boards, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls, and was -8 in 13 minutes off the bench in Duke's loss at home to Arizona

Simmons - 4 points on free throws, an assist, a steal, 2 fouls, and was -16 in 15 minutes off the bench in Yale's loss to Gonzaga

As long as we're running with this, I'll point out that Chase Audige scored six points in 17 minutes for the Capital City Go-Go in their win over the Maine Celtics on the opening night of G League play.

This does not ring completely true.
Roper was highly recruited for an NU prospect.
Offers from Alabama, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Northwestern, Ohio State and Wisconsin.
Roper was the starter (over Berry) for the 2nd half of his promising freshman season.
Lowery came in. Berry regained the starting position.
Roper came off the bench for Berry in every game he played last season.
He rolled his ankle in January and missed a couple of games.
He re-injured the same ankle in his first game back and was done for the season.
NU's season ended on March 18th.
Micah Shrewsbury got the ND job on March 23rd.
Roper entered the portal on March 27th and committed to ND on April 18th.

Many (most?) on this message board appeared to be certain that both Buie and Audige were returning to NU.
If Audige returned, that would certainly limit Roper's playing time. If not, Roper was going to be a starter.

And then there's Shrewsberry.
“Just from my two years playing against him, I just love what he did,” the 6-foot-3 junior said of Shrewsberry ahead of an Irish team summer workout earlier this week. “And just being on the court, I could hear his voice and the confidence he gave his guys, and the freedom he let his guys play with.

“That was a big thing for me. So, once I found out he was interested, it was almost like I had to come check it out and see what he was about. And everything matched up.”

So people can say what they want. In his departing statement, Roper wrote "Being at Northwestern has been nothing short of amazing and I will forever cherish the memories I made here. I would like to thank Coach Collins for giving me the opportunity to attend such a prestigious university. Thank you for the love and support. After reflecting on my last two years I have decided to enter the transfer portal."

I don't believe for a second that he was going to step down in competition. If he was concerned about minutes, it was due to Audige's possible return. But he left so quickly it suggests he was looking while injured - and if he loved NU, then he wasn't thrilled with NU basketball.

At least he left respectfully.
I happen to know why he left from the players on the team. He left on very good terms with everyone which is why I hated to see him go. The model player for this is Podziemski from Illinois who transferred to a UC Santa Clara after not playing at Illinois and was drafted after one season. I’m glad for roper bc notre dame Is a great school but your conjecture is not the same as what I was told aka the truth.

I happen to know why he left from the players on the team. He left on very good terms with everyone which is why I hated to see him go. The model player for this is Podziemski from Illinois who transferred to a UC Santa Clara after not playing at Illinois and was drafted after one season. I’m glad for roper bc notre dame Is a great school but your conjecture is not the same as what I was told aka the truth.
Thank you.

Other than claiming you know the truth, you forgot to tell us why Roper left Northwestern and went to Notre Dame.

I'm going with "wanted to play a free-flowing style for Shrewsbury."
Don't tell me "thats not right" until you put your theory in writing.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Beran was tall all four years at NU. I hope Va Tech wins a bunch, though I have no idea if that’s feasible.

I hope that there’s a shot of a pre-game Roper-Beran hug whenever VaTech and ND play, and the announcers comment “both had to take a step down from Northwestern to get the minutes they wanted.”

Go Cats Go Cats Go

Another Cat favorite (Rowan Brumbaugh) got to enjoy a Georgetown loss to The Holy Cross Crusaders.
Rowan played pretty well until the last 9 minutes and then he disappeared, along with the Hoyas 11 point lead.

Reactions: No Chores
Tuned into the MSU/Duke game, for a few minutes, at the half, and Ryan Young looks, to me, like he is slimmer.

Had 8 pts and 7 reb, in 24 minutes off the bench.
I saw extended highlights on YouTube.
With Lively in the NBA, Duke has moved 7 footer Kyle Filipowski into the 5.
Young comes in, Filipowski slides to the 4.
Duke played a 7 man rotation last night.

One Duke highlight showed Young down low, Filipowski at top of key, holding ball. Young backs his defender up the lane, creating space. Filipowski lobs over the top to Young, who catches it and lays it in.

Why can't we do that?

One Duke highlight showed Young down low, Filipowski at top of key, holding ball. Young backs his defender up the lane, creating space. Filipowski lobs over the top to Young, who catches it and lays it in.

Why can't we do that?
Must....resist....joke....about....making.....layups

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

Why can't we do that?
Young and Nance and ran some high-low action. I’ve always liked it. I don’t know if Collins has confidence in Nicholson to finish. There have been plenty of times when Matt has had the ball in great position and he’s passed back out or missed a shot. He is much more explosive and comfortable on the move when he’s jumping off of one foot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT