ADVERTISEMENT

The departed

6 Points and 3 boards in 27 minutes tonight for Robbie as VaTech defeat the mighty Campbell Camels.....
In a starting role. Exact same guy for four years. Weirdly, he did not hit a three within the first four minutes of tipoff.

Any Jordan Lathon updates?

Brumbaugh was Brumbaughful. 3 of 13 shooting, 2 assists - both of which came in the final 3 minutes - against 5 turnovers, 4 fouls.

Rutgers has some very athletic guards with quick hands, but they let Georgetown hang around much longer than they should have. Georgetown did have the best-named player in the game, that being Supreme Cook.

Lathon, to my surprise, is still playing college basketball, this year for Morehead St. He had 7 points, 5 boards, 1 assist and 2 turnovers last night in a win against Mercer.

• Wow
Reactions: NUCat320
Brumbaugh was Brumbaughful. 3 of 13 shooting, 2 assists - both of which came in the final 3 minutes - against 5 turnovers, 4 fouls.

Rutgers has some very athletic guards with quick hands, but they let Georgetown hang around much longer than they should have. Georgetown did have the best-named player in the game, that being Supreme Cook.

Lathon, to my surprise, is still playing college basketball, this year for Morehead St. He had 7 points, 5 boards, 1 assist and 2 turnovers last night in a win against Mercer.
I knew he was still eligible since he took a medical redshirt last season. Does he still have a COVID "bonus year" next season if he wants it?

In a starting role. Exact same guy for four years. Weirdly, he did not hit a three within the first four minutes of tipoff.

Lathon had 12 pts, 8 rebs, and 3 asts in twenty minutes in Morehouse St's 87 - 57 loss to Purdue Friday night.

Georgetown is brutal.

Probably not appropriate here, but whatev:

Pete Nance opened the G League season with the Cleveland Charge, a team named after an offensive foul.

He’s been the sixth man, and is averaging 8pts/6rpg through three games.

Reactions: TheC
Georgetown is brutal.
Brumbaugh is going to be a good offensive player. He's got a good handle and sees the court well. He can finish around the basket. Not sure about his 3-point shot or his defense. Not a great athlete but he has good size for the position. He would have been a nice piece after Boo graduated. He looks like one of those guys you can't stand that play for Wisconsin or Iowa for 6 years.

I saw parts of the Georgetown replay today. I thought Brumbaugh was a very good athlete for his size (I know that's a different take.), couldn't care less about defense and looks like he has an attitude (I know that is an unfair comment and not informed.). He was always looking for the ball, didn't feed other players and was always looking to shoot. I also thought Georgetown looked like they were playing a pickup game. Brumbaugh's free-lancing wouldn't play well with Collins and Buie at all.

PS Looked up Brumbaugh's biography at Georgetown. Turns out he lived for awhile in Georgetown but went to prep school up East. His parents are creative types - novelists, documentary film maker, actress. Mother graduated from Barnard, daughter of hippie parents, grandmother paid for schooling. Sounds like old family money - don't know - and not really relevant except it is interesting to me how a small kid from Georgetown could pick up the interest and experience in that neck of the woods, particularly with what appear not to be your average sports junkie parents. Takes a village.

Last edited:
I saw parts of the Georgetown replay today. I thought Brumbaugh was a very good athlete for his size (I know that's a different take.), couldn't care less about defense and looks like he has an attitude (I know that is an unfair comment and not informed.). He was always looking for the ball, didn't feed other players and was always looking to shoot. I also thought Georgetown looked like they were playing a pickup game. Brumbaugh's free-lancing wouldn't play well with Collins and Buie at all.

PS Looked up Brumbaugh's biography at Georgetown. Turns out he lived for awhile in Georgetown but went to prep school up East. His parents are creative types - novelists, documentary film maker, actress. Mother graduated from Barnard, daughter of hippie parents, grandmother paid for schooling. Sounds like old family money - don't know - and not really relevant except it is interesting to me how a small kid from Georgetown could pick up the interest and experience in that neck of the woods, particularly with what appear not to be your average sports junkie parents. Takes a village.
I think he’s going to be a good player. Not sure how good. He has the skills to fit most systems. And we can always use guys that can create their own shot in the lane. I can see why he was highly ranked out of high school. Agree on the attitude. I was comparing him to that kid who seemed like he played 7 years at Wisconsin.

Reactions: techtim72
Brumbaugh defense is terrible. When Mulready comes in next year, he will take some of his minutes.

Exactly looked like a pick up game.

Brumbaugh defense is terrible. When Mulready comes in next year, he will take some of his minutes.
It was his third game and I have only seen him play once. Hard for me to project. But Mulready is a top prospect. I don’t know if they would play together.

Yes. I would lean to Brumbaugh after Buie leaves because of his offense but Clayton seems like a better fit this year.
I think Georgetown would make that trade. Get the portal working and make it happen.

Mulready, Clayton and Epps would be nice 2024 back court. Defense would be incredible.

Felt bad for Chris Carr last night he chose Tennesee. Got in took a 3 off a pass with like 20 seconds left in the shot clock and got yanked.

Young struggled a bit in the Duke game

Beran is struggling at VTech.

Great guys and wish them the best, but the grass is not always greener.

Roper is having the best season so far, averaging 8.5 points, 5.3 boards and shooting 35% from 3. Good for him!

Felt bad for Chris Carr last night he chose Tennesee. Got in took a 3 off a pass with like 20 seconds left in the shot clock and got yanked.

Young struggled a bit in the Duke game

Beran is struggling at VTech.

Great guys and wish them the best, but the grass is not always greener.
Roper is playing 30 minutes a game on a bad team. He wouldn't have gotten those minutes this year at NU. He's playing ok. He's scored 12 points in a couple of games. I am sure they will have some good recruits/transfers next year so it will be interesting if his minutes decline. He certainly would have helped this year playing 15 minutes a game. But it gives Clayton a chance to play sooner.

Beran's minutes are declining. He was here for 4 years and he is closer to home so I get it. But not a great move from a basketball perspective. Like Roper, we could have used him if he was willing to play 10-15 minutes a game (or more depending on the opponent).

I think it was a great move for Young. It certainly raised his profile nationally. His minutes are all over the place depending on the opponent. Last night he played 9 minutes and had 4 fouls and 1 point. He had some great games last year but didn't really play much later in the season and in the tournament. If he stayed, MN wouldn't have gotten many minutes and I think he was one of the keys to the defense.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Robbie Beran has started all 9 games for Virginia Tech and is averaging almost 19 minutes.
3.3 points per game while shooting just under 30% from the field.
1 of 15 from 3 point range.
2.2 rebounds per game.
He is -2 for the season, while the team is +53.

Roper has started all 7 games for ND and is averaging 29.7 minutes, 7.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg on 38% shooting so far.

Statistician Evan Miya has Ryan Young rated as the 23rd best player in the ACC, Julian Roper #85 and Robbie Beran #93. Of 147 guys who have played enough minutes to qualify.

According to Miya, Virginia Tech is the 7th best ACC team and Notre Dame is the worst team in the ACC, slightly worse than the average D1 team.

Casey Simmons is not playing much for Yale and his ESPN player photo suggests that he has taken a serious interest in Bob Marley. Evan Miya has Simmons listed as the 53rd best Ivy League player out of 65 qualifiers. He is a below average D1 player at this point.
i

Robbie Beran has started all 9 games for Virginia Tech and is averaging almost 19 minutes.
3.3 points per game while shooting just under 30% from the field.
1 of 15 from 3 point range.
2.2 rebounds per game.
He is -2 for the season, while the team is +53.

Roper has started all 7 games for ND and is averaging 29.7 minutes, 7.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg on 38% shooting so far.

Statistician Evan Miya has Ryan Young rated as the 23rd best player in the ACC, Julian Roper #85 and Robbie Beran #93. Of 147 guys who have played enough minutes to qualify.

According to Miya, Virginia Tech is the 7th best ACC team and Notre Dame is the worst team in the ACC, slightly worse than the average D1 team.

Casey Simmons is not playing much for Yale and his ESPN player photo suggests that he has taken a serious interest in Bob Marley. Evan Miya has Simmons listed as the 53rd best Ivy League player out of 65 qualifiers. He is a below average D1 player at this point.
i
That seems pretty high for Young. He’s averaging 2.8 points and 3.5 rebounds a game. He had 4 fouls and 3 points in their last 2 games.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
That seems pretty high for Young. He’s averaging 2.8 points and 3.5 rebounds a game. He had 4 fouls and 3 points in their last 2 games.
Yeah it strikes me as too high for Young as well.
It appears that Torvik, Ken Pomeroy and Evan Miya (the stats guys) all hold Duke in much higher regard than their performance on the court suggests.

Its pretty funny when you look at Bart Torvik's player ratings and compare them to Evan Miya's.
Torvik has Shahada Wells of McNeese State as the best player in the country, followed by Zach Edey and then Xavier Johnson of Southern Illinois. Torvik's really rating "Most important to his team."

Evan Miya has Wells as his #174, Edey as #1 and X Johnson as #136.
So they're wildly different, but Miya seems to have a better model for actual player value, although it could be biased toward big men.

For what its worth, Torvik lists 112 ACC players who have played at least 30% of their team's minutes.
Of those, he has Young #86, Roper #104 and Beran #111.
Again, those ratings are "Importance to his team."

Robbie Beran finally fell out of the starting lineup, but responded by scoring a season-high 9 points, 4 boards and 3 assists, and hitting more threes in that game (2) than he had previously all season (1). Beran had been providing blocked shots and little else, his replacement in the lineup is two inches shorter but a much better rebounder.

Roper has established himself as a starter on a historically bad Notre Dame team, and has a larger role in the offense than he ever had at NU. Unfortunately there's not much else positive to say given how bad the team is. Curious how CC would have used him in the rotation if he stayed here, but it's safe to say he wouldn't be getting the 30 mpg that he's getting with ND.

Ryan Young remains the backup center for Duke, however instead of being in rotation with a raw lottery-pick freshman like last year, this year the main starter is 2nd-year Mark Mitchell, and thus Young's minutes share looks a lot more like the end of last season already. There is also a freshman third center who gets a few spot minutes here and there. As a result, Ryan is seeing career lows in minutes, shots and points, along with career highs in assists, turnovers and free throw rate.

Casey Simmons is part of Yale's 8-man rotation, with a season high 20 minutes and a career high 11 points in his last game against Quinnipiac. Statistically his numbers don't look that different from his year at NU, other than that he is drawing more fouls.

Rowan Brumbaugh got Wally Pipped, missing a game for illness and subsequently not recovering his starting spot in the last three games, which has coincided with the return of K State transfer Ish Massoud. He's the third guard behind two guys who average 33 and 27 mpg respectively.

Jordan Lathon, in his 6th year of college and at his 3rd school, is an established starter for a Morehead State team that will be favored to win the Ohio Valley Conference. He's more of a shooting guard now, averaging 11.7 points/game with career highs in shooting percentage and rebounding, and career lows in assists and turnovers.

Love the Wally Pipp reference. If you can find a way to work in Eddie Gaedel or Pete Gray, you'll have a fan for life.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Robbie Beran finally fell out of the starting lineup, but responded by scoring a season-high 9 points, 4 boards and 3 assists, and hitting more threes in that game (2) than he had previously all season (1). Beran had been providing blocked shots and little else, his replacement in the lineup is two inches shorter but a much better rebounder.

Roper has established himself as a starter on a historically bad Notre Dame team, and has a larger role in the offense than he ever had at NU. Unfortunately there's not much else positive to say given how bad the team is. Curious how CC would have used him in the rotation if he stayed here, but it's safe to say he wouldn't be getting the 30 mpg that he's getting with ND.

Ryan Young remains the backup center for Duke, however instead of being in rotation with a raw lottery-pick freshman like last year, this year the main starter is 2nd-year Mark Mitchell, and thus Young's minutes share looks a lot more like the end of last season already. There is also a freshman third center who gets a few spot minutes here and there. As a result, Ryan is seeing career lows in minutes, shots and points, along with career highs in assists, turnovers and free throw rate.

Casey Simmons is part of Yale's 8-man rotation, with a season high 20 minutes and a career high 11 points in his last game against Quinnipiac. Statistically his numbers don't look that different from his year at NU, other than that he is drawing more fouls.

Rowan Brumbaugh got Wally Pipped, missing a game for illness and subsequently not recovering his starting spot in the last three games, which has coincided with the return of K State transfer Ish Massoud. He's the third guard behind two guys who average 33 and 27 mpg respectively.

Jordan Lathon, in his 6th year of college and at his 3rd school, is an established starter for a Morehead State team that will be favored to win the Ohio Valley Conference. He's more of a shooting guard now, averaging 11.7 points/game with career highs in shooting percentage and rebounding, and career lows in assists and turnovers.
Excellent content.

Anybody got updates on Joe Bamisile or that one Eastern European that wanted NU but didn’t have the grades, and wound up at Dayton? (This may have been 15 years ago.)

Excellent content.

Anybody got updates on Joe Bamisile or that one Eastern European that wanted NU but didn’t have the grades, and wound up at Dayton? (This may have been 15 years ago.)
Ah, forgot about Bamisile. He transferred to VCU for this season but the NCAA denied his waiver and the school is currently "threatening legal action".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT