ADVERTISEMENT

The departed

I think people misread Young on the defensive end. He wassn't "big" for a Big Ten center. 6'10" 240 basically.
Definitely couldn't jump (or can't). But he was fundamentally sound and knew how to position himself.
He struggled mightily with Zach Edey and Kofi Cockburn - guys who were quicker and bigger than him - and I am pretty sure thats why a lot of people around here think he was a bad defender.

If you watch the Penn State game from a few years back when John Harrar destroyed Pete Nance, but got his ass kicked by Ryan Young, it tells a different (clearer) story.

His struggles on defense were not primarily due to his positioning, as he demonstrated skill in getting himself into the right places despite lacking quickness. However, Young's lack of quickness hindered his ability to keep up with athletic big men. Additionally, he was not quick enough to be a factor to help defense, which is crucial in maintaining a strong man-to-man defense. Help defense requires quick reactions and instant movement, qualities Young lacked. He also lacked significant strength, often finding himself unable to hold his position even when correctly positioned, and his height and vertical leap were insufficient to recover when the opposing post player had prime positioning. Defensively, Young faced difficulties against most teams, which ultimately limited his playing time.

Conversely, Nance, though not a skilled post defender, excelled in help defense. While he struggled to maintain his position due to a lack of strength and got outmuscled a little more than Young, Nance's length allowed him to recover in certain situations, making him, in my opinion, a more effective post defender. Nance possessed notable quickness for his height, enabling him to keep up with athletic big men. However, his weakness was his physical strength.

It wouldn’t, but we’d get an incremental 10ppg from the 5. I think RY eats with the 2024 version of Boo.

On the offensive end Young could potentially fit well within NU's current lineup, given the abundance of shooters. Nevertheless, this style of play deviates from Buie's greatest strength, which lies in his ability to drive to the basket. Young thrived when he positioned himself with his back to the basket in the low post. While this strategy congests the paint and limits slashing opportunities, it creates openings for shooters by collapsing the defense. Young's exceptional footwork and positioning near the basket allowed him to score effectively despite his limitations, and he also contributed well on offensive rebounds due to this positioning. With increased playing time, Young's offensive role would likely be less prominent, resulting in a decrease in both his usage rate and per 40-minute statistics. Nonetheless, he would provide valuable depth in my opinion.

In terms of offensive fit, I believe a big player such as a developed Hunger would be the most suitable. Hunger possesses a soft touch around the rim and sufficient athleticism to set screens at the top of the key and promptly finish in a rolling motion. Additionally, Hunger has the ability to step out and make three-point shots providing the pick n pop option.

Last edited:
Yeah, who would be there to make dumb fouls and not rebound? Half joking but it would be great to have a different look and someone who can keep the defense honest, catch lobs, etc.
I hear you, but there are two sides to the game. Ryan’s offense with Big Matt’s D would result in an all Big ten player. Big Matt’s O and Ryan’s D, eeeeeeeeghad.

I hear you, but there are two sides to the game. Ryan’s offense with Big Matt’s D would result in an all Big ten player. Big Matt’s O and Ryan’s D, eeeeeeeeghad.
Honest question: do we even have numbers on Matt’s defense? The eye test is difficult on him and he isn’t really doing a great job rebounding.

Pete Nance is getting a 10-day contract with the Cavs. First NBA Cat since Vic Law in 2020 with Orlando.

A chance to make his debut tonight against the Bucks. Hawks on Saturday.

Roper went 2-8 from the field in a 4-point loss at BC Monday. Va Tech has a rivalry game (?) at UVA tonight. Only UNC and Duke are ranked from the ACC currently.

Pete did sign, and the Cavs won by 40 tonight, but Pete was apparently inactive.

Go Cats Go Cats Go

How are our former players doing in mid-January?

Ryan Young is still at Duke, typically backing up Kyle Filipowski at center, but sometimes playing alongside him. For the season Young is averaging 12 minutes a game, 3.5 pts, 3.5 rebounds and 1 assist.
Most recently, he played 22 minutes, scoring 10 points on 4 of 5 shooting, with 4 offensive rebounds and 5 defensive rebounds in an 84-79 win over Georgia Tech. Season high in points and rebounds. He did, however get posterized on a dunk.

Robbie Beran struggled mightily in his first 9 games with Virginia Tech, losing his starting role after a 1 for 7, 1 rebound effort against Louisville. At that point in the season he had made 1 of 15 three point attempts. Coming off the bench for the next 5 games, he started to play better and is back in the starting lineup. Since that initial demotion, he has played 7 games, averaged 21 minutes, made 7 of 11 inside the arc, made 10 of 22 outside the arc and has 7 offensive rebounds and 26 defensive rebounds, 9 assists, 6 blocks, 5 steals, 11 turnovers. Playing much better since mid December.

Julian Roper started the first 10 games for Notre Dame and played about 31 minutes per game. He suffered a minor injury, missed two games, the first of which ND got blown out by the Citadel in South Bend. Shrewsberry went off about lack of effort and commitment, and Julian lost his starting job for the next 4 games, regaining it for ND's most recent loss to Florida State. He has 0 total assists and 0 turnovers in his last 5 games, playing about 22 minutes per game, grabbing 3 rebounds per game, making 4 of 12 inside the arc and 4 of 16 from distance. Not going well lately for Julian.

Casey Simmons is at Yale, averaging 14 minutes off the bench. 4 points per game, 2.5 rebounds. Simmons started the first 7 games of his career at NU, while Audige was unavailable, but ahead of Barnhizer and Roper, in that ill-fated 2021-22 season.

The only stats guy who publishes player ratings (Evan Miyakawa) has Ryan Young as the 26th most valuable player in the ACC. Robbie Beran is currently 70th. Julian Roper is 83rd (of 131 rated players). Young is an efficient role player on a good team.

Chase Audige is with Capital City in the G-League and has played 21 games, averaging almost 14 minutes, 4.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.6 steals per game, shooting 32% on 3's and 39% on 2's.

Pete Nance is with the Cleveland Charge in the G-League and is starting at center and power forward after coming off the bench for about 5 games. He's playing 30 minutes a night, 13 ppg, 72 of 120 (60%) inside the arc, 29 of 79 outside (37%). 7.7 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.4 blocks per game. On Jan 10th he had 27 points, 10 rebounds and 12 assists! On Jan 13th, he had 12 points, 7 boards, 5 assists and 4 steals. Going well for Pete.
don’t miss any of them.

Robbie Beran seems to have found his groove again over the last 4 games and is back in the starting lineup, had a season high 11 points in their win at NC State.

Ryan Young has been playing as the primary backup at center the last 2+ games since Mark Mitchell got hurt.

Roper has also found his way back to the starting lineup but has continued to struggle with his shot.

Jared Jones has been the starting center for Middle Tennessee this whole season and has been an excellent rebounder and passer on a god -awful team

Casey Simmons continues to do very little as the 7th or 8th player in Yale's rotation.

Rowan Brumbaugh has lost his spot in the starting lineup and seen his minutes reduced drastically the last 3 games due to struggles in conference play.

Lastly, Jordan Lathon continues to be an indispensable player for Ohio Valley Conference-leading Morehead State in his 6th year of college basketball.

Reactions: mountaindrew
If Jared Jones has any eligibility left, wonder if he would be a candidate (half jokingly) to be the next grad student to fill in the TVH/Preston role.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Robbie Beran seems to have found his groove again over the last 4 games and is back in the starting lineup, had a season high 11 points in their win at NC State.

Ryan Young has been playing as the primary backup at center the last 2+ games since Mark Mitchell got hurt.

Roper has also found his way back to the starting lineup but has continued to struggle with his shot.

Jared Jones has been the starting center for Middle Tennessee this whole season and has been an excellent rebounder and passer on a god -awful team

Casey Simmons continues to do very little as the 7th or 8th player in Yale's rotation.

Rowan Brumbaugh has lost his spot in the starting lineup and seen his minutes reduced drastically the last 3 games due to struggles in conference play.

Lastly, Jordan Lathon continues to be an indispensable player for Ohio Valley Conference-leading Morehead State in his 6th year of college basketball.
Brumbaugh screwed us over and he looks like one of those Duke players people hate but I think he would have been an important recruit for the program. He can get to the rim and create for his teammates. Next year would have been his third year in the program and I think he would have fit in with Berry and Barnhizer and lessened the impact of losing Buie. He reminds me of a taller Buie (in his first couple of seasons).

Brumbaugh screwed us over and he looks like one of those Duke players people hate but I think he would have been an important recruit for the program. He can get to the rim and create for his teammates. Next year would have been his third year in the program and I think he would have fit in with Berry and Barnhizer and lessened the impact of losing Buie. He reminds me of a taller Buie (in his first couple of seasons).
I guess I have to watch more of him because I don’t see him as close to Boo. I agree we would have been better with an experienced PG waiting in the wings for next season. However, I saw a shooter/scorer first, passer second and the shots are going up no matter what.

Reactions: ballerog711
I guess I have to watch more of him because I don’t see him as close to Boo. I agree we would have been better with an experienced PG waiting in the wings for next season. However, I saw a shooter/scorer first, passer second and the shots are going up no matter what.
Isn’t that how folks described Buie his first couple of years? I haven’t watched him that much either but he got minutes at the end of a close game yesterday against Providence and beat his man to the rim for a layup and then went baseline and had a nice pass for a wide open corner 3. He has issues but is a good ball handler and can create shots for himself and others. Not a great athlete but looks to be good enough given his size. I think he would have benefitted from being in the same program for 2 years and playing for Collins, BMac and Lowery.

Duke vs VA tech on ESPN right now. Beran looks thinner...
Ryan Young got a ton of love, playing time and points tonight, ESPN announcers have been singing his praises well into the second game of the night. Beran had some nice plays including, as usual, one 3-pointer.

Randomly during the Houston-Texas game afterwards Boo Buie was mentioned by Fran Fraschilla as a player who just can do whatever he needs to do at the right time to score.

Nance has returned to the G-League, having made $15k/minute played (4, officially) in two games with the Cavs.

Beyond those four minutes, no stats accumulated.

Beran vs Roper at halftime now (VT vs ND).

Roper has scored 8 points off the bench, while Beran is 0-3 from 3

Roper played 21 minutes: 11 points, 2 rebounds and a steal in the loss.
Robbie played 22 minutes: 2 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal, and 3 blocks in the win.

Seems like good games from both of them, but Robbie with the better defense/team play.

Roper played 21 minutes: 11 points, 2 rebounds and a steal in the loss.
Robbie played 22 minutes: 2 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal, and 3 blocks in the win.

Seems like good games from both of them, but Robbie with the better defense/team play.
Beran had 4 fouls to 2 for Roper.

It’d be nice if @PurpleWhiteBoy or some provided their plus minus so we could objectively tell how our former Cats are doing.

Could Beran or Roper transfer back for our postseason games if they’re eliminated with their current teams?

Beran had 4 fouls to 2 for Roper.

It’d be nice if @PurpleWhiteBoy or some provided their plus minus so we could objectively tell how our former Cats are doing.

Could Beran or Roper transfer back for our postseason games if they’re eliminated with their current teams?
No, but do we have any football players with basketball experience that could be a “big body” for us?

Reactions: CatManTrue

Jordan is going dancing. Morehead State got their conference’s AQ

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT