ADVERTISEMENT

The end of the Collins era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should happen. Plus hopefully several players will transfer and others graduate and we can just start over, can't be much worse

I was somewhat thinking the same thing as MC.

Let's say you're Collins and you believe you still have some hope in your career. Don't you want out? Don't you talk to your agent about a buyout?

He resigns and gets paid for another year or two. NU gets to reboot and save so.e money. He also gets to reboot. Everybody wins.

If I'm CC's agent, I'd say take the two year offer. You'll never get another chance.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Let's say you're Collins and you believe you still have some hope in your career. Don't you want out? Don't you talk to your agent about a buyout?

He resigns and gets paid for another year or two. NU gets to reboot and save so.e money. He also gets to reboot. Everybody wins.

If I'm CC's agent, I'd say take the two year offer. You'll never get another chance.
I don't see Gragg pulling the trigger, but perhaps if we lose out or only beat Neb

Should happen. Plus hopefully several players will transfer and others graduate and we can just start over, can't be much worse
Audgie, Nance gotta go. Hope they transfer so the young guys can play. The can’t do any worse!

Who would want to hire CC? He’s better off riding the NU gravy train until forced out

Who would want to hire CC? He’s better off riding the NU gravy train until forced out
Let's put it this way. Richie Pitino had a new gig the day after he was fired from Minnesota.

There will be any number of mid-major gigs for CC. And like Richie, he has the family network to help him, not to mention the Duke mafia.

Edit: Here is the list of all the D1 coaching changes last year. Do you really think there's not a gig for CC if he wants it? Before you answer, you might want to consider ... and this is my favorite hire last year ... Reggie Theus got his third head-coaching job last year. Awesome!!

Last edited:
I agree Collins will never go jobless thanks to his last name. But, he will be the NU coach until he is told to leave. I highly doubt he will ask out with years and millions still due to him. Gravy train for mediocrity indeed.

Let's put it this way. Richie Pitino had a new gig the day after he was fired from Minnesota.

There will be any number of mid-major gigs for CC. And like Richie, he has the family network to help him, not to mention the Duke mafia.

Edit: Here is the list of all the D1 coaching changes last year. Do you really think there's not a gig for CC if he wants it? Before you answer, you might want to consider ... and this is my favorite hire last year ... Reggie Theus got his third head-coaching job last year. Awesome!!
Oh he’d be able to get some job. I doubt he’d be able to get the kind of $$ he’s getting at NU unless he takes a pay cut and is able to find success in a lesser conference first. Guessing CC isn’t looking to head to Kalamazoo when he can just keep cashing the NU checks.

On the other hand who would to come to NU to replace him? Unless something else changes, it will be the same as it's been for at least the past 22 years.
Established names? Doubt it. They’d have to try and hire some young up and coming guy who wants the bigger stage. At this point I’m not sure we could do mush worse. CC has been able to recruit decently at least based on the rankings, but he seems to have no idea how to maximize their skills or make them a cohesive team.

Established names? Doubt it. They’d have to try and hire some young up and coming guy who wants the bigger stage. At this point I’m not sure we could do mush worse. CC has been able to recruit decently at least based on the rankings, but he seems to have no idea how to maximize their skills or make them a cohesive team.

The people on here who think Chris is going anywhere soon are simply delusional. Nance is not a center. Audige can't shoot and neither can anybody else on a consistent basis. Boo plays way out of control a lot, Our ability to defend is sorely lacking. I could go on and on. For the present, I'm moving most of my attention to women's sports, where we have some excellent athletes and nobody transitioning from man to woman,

The people on here who think Chris is going anywhere soon are simply delusional. Nance is not a center. Audige can't shoot and neither can anybody else on a consistent basis. Boo plays way out of control a lot, Our ability to defend is sorely lacking. I could go on and on. For the present, I'm moving most of my attention to women's sports, where we have some excellent athletes and nobody transitioning from man to woman,

Lady softball Cats are killing it. Beat #3 UCLA and #15 Clemson this week. 7-1 for the season. Only loss was 3-2 to Top 20 V.Tech in the 2nd game of a double header.

Could be a fun year. I’m heading to ND to see them play in April. Will see them again in Columbus later in the month.

GOUNUII

Or woman to man? :cool:

This is such a bizarre defeatist attitude that is constantly echoed here. Guess what we’re a top 10 school with a massive athletic budget and outstanding facilities. Just because it hasn’t been done doesn’t mean we can’t do it. People can win here and win consistently. I’m never not going to believe that.

Lady softball Cats are killing it. Beat #3 UCLA and #15 Clemson this week. 7-1 for the season. Only loss was 3-2 to Top 20 V.Tech in the 2nd game of a double header.

Could be a fun year. I’m heading to ND to see them play in April. Will see them again in Columbus later in the month.

GOUNUII
Herein lies why we should lay off Collins. No one has ordained that NU be in the top eschelon in basketball or football, in fact no one would have even thought it until Barnett came around. "We", just for some reason, expect it. Not that it wouldn't be nice. Accept what's good that's happening. If Women's softball was in the same position as football and men's basketball currently, who among us would be calling for the coach to be fired.

NU’s starting center and starting power forward combined for 5 rebounds today. That’s a coach who knows how to maximize talent.

Collins is a good man. That does not make him a good coach. Let’s hire a guy like Pickell or Undetwood. A guy who has spent 2 decades building programs. Do not hire the shiny penney. Hire someone who has proven they can coach.

NU’s starting center and starting power forward combined for 5 rebounds today. That’s a coach who knows how to maximize talent.
Ah, the endless NU conundrum, is it the coach or the players? Or is it that NU has made it only once to the basketball NCAA's in 250 years? That says something about both NU and Collins, who is the only coach in 250 years to get NU to the Big Dance. And people want to fire the guy?

Collins is a good man. That does not make him a good coach. Let’s hire a guy like Pickell or Undetwood. A guy who has spent 2 decades building programs. Do not hire the shiny penney. Hire someone who has proven they can coach.
Why would they come to NU, given its basketball history? 250 years and Collins is the only coach EVER to get NU to the NCAA's. At this point NU needs to be hired by a coach, not the reverse.

Why would they come to NU, given its basketball history? 250 years and Collins is the only coach EVER to get NU to the NCAA's. At this point NU needs to be hired by a coach, not the reverse.

The Big Ten is likely to exceed $1 billion a year on its next set of TV contracts. If we can’t find $2 million to $3 million for an up and coming coach, we should just drop to the MAC.

Ah, the endless NU conundrum, is it the coach or the players? Or is it that NU has made it only once to the basketball NCAA's in 250 years? That says something about both NU and Collins, who is the only coach in 250 years to get NU to the Big Dance. And people want to fire the guy?
In this case, it’s the fantasy that Beran is a power forward and Nance is a center, and CCC not realizing that neither is true after four seasons with Nance and three with Beran.

It’s poor deployment of resources. Period.

In this case, it’s the fantasy that Beran is a power forward and Nance is a center, and CCC not realizing that neither is true after four seasons with Nance and three with Beran.

It’s poor deployment of resources. Period.
Are you looking for a job?

If Women's softball was in the same position as football and men's basketball currently, who among us would be calling for the coach to be fired.

If Kate Drohan had only made the postseason once in the past 9 years there would indeed be many softball fans calling for her head.

The Big Ten is likely to exceed $1 billion a year on its next set of TV contracts. If we can’t find $2 million to $3 million for an up and coming coach, we should just drop to the MAC.
Unless the larger problem is what players this up and coming coach can get admitted to Northwestern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT