ADVERTISEMENT

The far end of the bench

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
1) Any word on Brown's disappearance last night? I assume he had an injury. He was in uniform, but he had long full-length, compression pants (for lack of a better term) under his uniform shorts. That's not usual for him.
2) Any word on Charlie Hall? Is this his third game in street clothes?
3) Poor Tino. Man!! CC sure can be stingy and uptight about the walk-on minutes.

Teddy reported Hall's got a back injury.

Who doesn't want to see the walk-ons get more minutes? But last night, Collins was sending a message to his team. Not surprised he kept the horses out there till more or less the buzzer.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
I wondered about Brown as well. He warmed up with the team and I didn't notice him moving poorly, but he was in pants and never came in, even when Ash really stunk up the place in the second half, which normally would have been the point Brown got his minutes.

Teddy reported Hall's got a back injury.

Who doesn't want to see the walk-ons get more minutes? But last night, Collins was sending a message to his team. Not surprised he kept the horses out there till more or less the buzzer.
They did have a point in the second half where they really lost focus. 5 fouls in like 4 minutes at the beginning of the second half plus numerous turnovers and other issues. For a bit there, it got pretty ugly

We had ten fouls by, I think, the twelve minute mark. I was amazed no one fouled out. I was also pleasantly surprised there were no injuries or ejections on either side as things got pretty scrappy when Minn realized they were doomed.

I wondered about Brown as well. He warmed up with the team and I didn't notice him moving poorly, but he was in pants and never came in, even when Ash really stunk up the place in the second half, which normally would have been the point Brown got his minutes.
Surprising no one asked Collins about it in the post-game interview.

Here's hoping Brown finds his peak performance soon.

He's played well enough, but - I think - most of us expect more from him. I think he expects more from himself. How bout 10 a game?

I suspect minor nagging injury, which is classified information.

OTOH, the whole team needs to find some peak performance.

The IU game is a MUST see for any NU fan!

GO CATS!

without a doubt the bench has been one of the frustrating things about this team. and it seems collins has played everyone to try to find anyone in the second unit to reach up and grab minutes at any position but no one has.

i wonder if the lack of playing time for some and impending talent arriving will have some roster turnover this off-season?

without a doubt the bench has been one of the frustrating things about this team. and it seems collins has played everyone to try to find anyone in the second unit to reach up and grab minutes at any position but no one has.

i wonder if the lack of playing time for some and impending talent arriving will have some roster turnover this off-season?

You don't usually postulate like that. Are you privy to something?

Would that be more of a concern aftet this year, or next year once the new pecking order is established?

Are you kidding me. Ash helped turned the season around in the Georgia Tech game, which we had won with seven seconds left. Ash was only playing an average of four to five minutes a game before the GT game. That was a come to Jesus moment for the team where they regained their defensive identity. Since then, Ash has started four games and averaged about 18-24 minutes a game. Gaines has also come on strong. Those two guys have Big Ten bodies. All this talk about Next year’s team with Nance starting is hogwash. Gaines and Ash have BT bodies. I came in to NU in 1980 as a walk on to the wrestling team. With my BT body, I beat the returning starter and lettered and took fifth in the 30 team, Illinois Open.

By the way, congratulations to Scottie who played very well against Minnesota. We need Scottie,Mac, and Pardon to step up and play well. Skelly is shooting very well. Fifty percent. So our first eight guys can take us dancing with Falzon,Gaines, and Ash. If we utilize the forward press, we will need Brown and Benson as our guys legs will be tired. I liked using the press the entire game, but we are gonna need our bench if we use that defensive scheme.

Last edited:

Early '19 commits could increase the odds of this. But the academic piece, in my opinion, makes this less likely with all but one or two.

There's going to be a lot of talent at the wing next year and Collins may go with smaller line ups to put the best talent on the floor. That will push some things around.

Early '19 commits could increase the odds of this. But the academic piece, in my opinion, makes this less likely with all but one or two.

There's going to be a lot of talent at the wing next year and Collins may go with smaller line ups to put the best talent on the floor. That will push some things around.

I assume (uh-oh) that CCC has never promised anything to a recruit other than a chance. (Though I think Mac may have been promised more...) So, if true, then one would think everybody comes in next year needing to earn PT and starting positions. But once the dust settles, perhaps a midyear transfer so to be eligible for conference play the following year? Still, methinks that would show real give up mentality. Injuries happen, players practice and improve - so I would think after next season, things could get interesting.

Fall 2019 - Benson has to stay cuz noone will unseat him as the center in waiting based on our recruiting
Lead guard - I see/hope/pray Lathon cements this position
At the four - I hope Nance clearly establishes himself too and as one of NU greatest
wings - Kopp, RI, Gaines,...Brown???

I think Falzon could depart but only if he is healthy and gets minimal time next year due to Nance. I could see RI retiring if he cannot get past his medical issues. If Brown cannot beat out somebody for a starting spot next year, I can see him leaving. Add the curious absence in the game yesterday and makes me also wonder injury v doghouse. At any rate, in the past, players left because they were too good for the program. If we lose someone now, I don't think it will be a first 7 player.

If someone leaves, that creates 5 spots for 2019. Way too many, IMHO. I would expect to see another transfer or two in the Turner mold to try to spread out the schollies.

I assume (uh-oh) that CCC has never promised anything to a recruit other than a chance. (Though I think Mac may have been promised more...) So, if true, then one would think everybody comes in next year needing to earn PT and starting positions. But once the dust settles, perhaps a midyear transfer so to be eligible for conference play the following year? Still, methinks that would show real give up mentality. Injuries happen, players practice and improve - so I would think after next season, things could get interesting.

Fall 2019 - Benson has to stay cuz noone will unseat him as the center in waiting based on our recruiting
At the four - I hope Nance clearly establishes himself too and as one of NU greatest

I think Falzon could depart but only if he is healthy and gets minimal time next year due to Nance. I could see RI retiring if he cannot get past his medical issues. If Brown cannot beat out somebody for a starting spot next year, I can see him leaving. Add the curious absence in the game yesterday and makes me also wonder injury v doghouse. At any rate, in the past, players left because they were too good for the program. If we lose someone now, I don't think it will be a first 7 player.

If someone leaves, that creates 5 spots for 2019. Way too many, IMHO. I would expect to see another transfer or two in the Turner mold to try to spread out the schollies.
Turner is gonna play a lot. So is Falzon and Gaines.

I like Gaines a lot, and seem him as becoming a defensive stopper. He gets lost sometimes (forgivable for a freshman imo), but he creates turn overs and has the strength to battle and the speed to fast break. He doesn't seem to have an outside shot - at least not one he has enough confidence in to take. And that will limit him depending on the talent he'll compete with for PT next year.

I liked the look of Brown, his movement with the ball and speed, but he doesn't seem to have made the leap from last year. I understand he's battling injury and hold out hope for him.

Someone pointed out that Brown was wearing compression shorts under his shorts on the bench, and that was NOT normal for him. If true, a fairly telltale sign he was injured. Also makes a lot of sense, since it makes zero sense for Ash to get the minutes he did and for Brown to get zero, and we have hardly seen a game where a non walk-on was benched entirely. And I agree that, if we lose someone now, it won't be a first 7 player, and that we will be seeing more transfers in the future (good programs typically see more people wanting to transfer in).

Someone pointed out that Brown was wearing compression shorts under his shorts on the bench, and that was NOT normal for him. If true, a fairly telltale sign he was injured. Also makes a lot of sense, since it makes zero sense for Ash to get the minutes he did and for Brown to get zero, and we have hardly seen a game where a non walk-on was benched entirely. And I agree that, if we lose someone now, it won't be a first 7 player, and that we will be seeing more transfers in the future (good programs typically see more people wanting to transfer in).
We need Brown! He may be hurt. Who knows! We need his fresh legs. No doubt,especially in BT tournament we need all ten guys who are solid players!

It wasn't just shorts. It was full length pants..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT