ADVERTISEMENT

The freshman dash.

Agreed. It is a nice tradition. Probably going on 10 years old now.

Stems from Vandy 2011. They did it there. Everyone in our visiting section thought it was a good idea. Apparently Phillips, who was on the field in front of us, agreed.

Stems from Vandy 2011. They did it there. Everyone in our visiting section thought it was a good idea. Apparently Phillips, who was on the field in front of us, agreed.
I believe the story goes that it was his wife that talked him into it. Bu that may be urban legend.

I believe the story goes that it was his wife that talked him into it. Bu that may be urban legend.

I thought the Urban Legend was that Morty's wife was a fan of it, but whatever.

I was at the Vandy game and it was pretty well-executed there - they kept the students very "tight" so the group was on and off the field in what seemed like a flash...didn't stretch them and it didn't feel like the line that never ended, which is what we seem to encounter every year when we do it.

Reactions: Noah121
I thought the Urban Legend was that Morty's wife was a fan of it, but whatever.

I was at the Vandy game and it was pretty well-executed there - they kept the students very "tight" so the group was on and off the field in what seemed like a flash...didn't stretch them and it didn't feel like the line that never ended, which is what we seem to encounter every year when we do it.
I think you are right. I remember it was someone's wife. Living in Nashville, I used to have Vandy season tickets. They did do it well but their stadium has easier entrance/exit at the corners of the field.

nice to build some of these traditions, and show kids where the football games are. If you go and have fun, you come back. Of course winning is what will really bring the students out. Beat Wisconsin and it will be rocking

They all left at halftime. Not impressed.

It's the Saturday before the first week of classes and I'd bet less than 10% of the incoming class considered the football program as a decision point for coming to NU. That said...I'm always impressed they seem to get a significant portion of the class to come in the first place, and do the "Justin Jackson the Ball Carrier" deal and all the rest.

While it may be great for alums, I doubt whether most college students would prefer to be at Ryan Field at 10 pm on a Saturday compared with a lot of other places.

That's routine for the opener. Happens every season in recent history at least.

NU assembled the freshmen on the baseball diamond, providing food and games. A US Army recruiting/info tent was set up on the 3rd baseline, as far from the stadium as possible. No students came by for at least an hour.

I stopped by to talk with the 4 soldiers manning the tent, wearing heavy camouflaged fatiques. They were pleasant and we talked a little about the benefits the Army could offer the students.

To my surprise , a little later a few students stopped by the tent and then maybe 30-40 gathered round and challenged the soldiers in contests involving pull ups and push ups. There was a spirited competition and maybe a few of the students will take advantage of what they learned about the educational benefits offered by the military

Reactions: ricko654321
Once again turned into the freshman bottleneck.

Needs work.
This was an example of European crowd control, funnel a mob into a single line to climb the steps into the stadium

They did eventually let the students enter through multiple sections, which they should have done from the beginning . The other solution would have been to have half the students exit at the end of the stadium and then re-enter from the east side. Unfortunately Bowling Green was in the runway waiting to enter the stadium

This was an example of European crowd control, funnel a mob into a single line to climb the steps into the stadium

They did eventually let the students enter through multiple sections, which they should have done from the beginning . The other solution would have been to have half the students exit at the end of the stadium and then re-enter from the east side. Unfortunately Bowling Green was in the runway waiting to enter the stadium
Isn't it great that after a game, this is what we are left to complain about?

Reactions: StreamCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT