• Raze and replace it

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Just tweak it a little

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
get rid of the press box......but up boxes, including a press box....all around the top...give it a clean look.....special boxes in the towers

Reactions: willycat
Make it 35-40K. Split it into two decks. Gothic awning/facade over the upper deck to funnel sound towards the field of play. Single deck student section 10-row deep in the endzone, so that a field goal is never into a sea of anything other than purple. Put your fancy club in the other endzone, or in Lake Michigan. As Justin Jackson says, white collar school? Maybe, but this is a blue collar program. Maybe put in gothic lettering "The West is Ours."

Make it 35-40K. Split it into two decks. Gothic awning/facade over the upper deck to funnel sound towards the field of play. Single deck student section 10-row deep in the endzone, so that a field goal is never into a sea of anything other than purple. Put your fancy club in the other endzone, or in Lake Michigan. As Justin Jackson says, white collar school? Maybe, but this is a blue collar program. Maybe put in gothic lettering "The West is Ours."

On second thought - a revamped scoreboard with a sweet sound system should be up in what I guess is the North end zone? It should just have Sean Connery sitting in a church pew saying "That's the Chicago Way" over and over.

Whatever is done, the capacity shouldn't be over 36,000. We don't have the fan base to justify anything bigger, and a 47,000-seat venue built to modern specs wouldn't fit in that location, and there's really no other viable option.

Reactions: PandaCat
A few ideas:
  • Build matching towers on the East side with an upper deck of club seats/skyboxes.
  • Demolish the south end zone stands and replace them with a multi-tiered seating/bar seating/standing sections (similar to centerfield at Sox Park).
  • Large scoreboard over the new south end zone area.
  • Capacity 30-35k

bring the end zone seats closer to the field and rebuild the east stands so they end at the end zone and not beyond it.

A few ideas:
  • Build matching towers on the East side with an upper deck of club seats/skyboxes.
  • Demolish the south end zone stands and replace them with a multi-tiered seating/bar seating/standing sections (similar to centerfield at Sox Park).
  • Capacity 30-35k
I am not a fan of the towers gives it a little insane asylum vibe.

I would would leave the entire west stands as is and renovate their interiors.

I would then demo the entire East and south stands.

I would then rebuild a new stand on the east side with modern conveniences and a look that is complimentary to the opposing west stand.

I would then build a large courtyard in the south side with something resembling the Weber Arch so that from the street you could actually see into the stadium. I’d also build a large scoreboard over that courtyard so that the sun never shines directly onto the board.

This way when standing outside on central street you could see all the way across the field and see McGaw Hall (or maybe now it’s called Ryan something) in the distance.

I think 40,000 is the right size. Sounds a lot more Big Ten than a number that starts with three.

I would would leave the entire west stands as is and renovate their interiors.

I would then demo the entire East and south stands.

I would then rebuild a new stand on the east side with modern conveniences and a look that is complimentary to the opposing west stand.

I would then build a large courtyard in the south side with something resembling the Weber Arch so that from the street you could actually see into the stadium. I’d also build a large scoreboard over that courtyard so that the sun never shines directly onto the board.

This way when standing outside on central street you could see all the way across the field and see McGaw Hall (or maybe now it’s called Ryan something) in the distance.

I think 40,000 is the right size. Sounds a lot more Big Ten than a number that starts with three.
In
Rebuild WHERE closer to campus? There is no place to put it. We are stuck with the existing location.
You could possibly build on Floyd Long Field just north of Elder, but the neighbors wouldn’t like that and parking would be an issue. I think Central is the only viable location.

I remember seeing original plans for Dyche Stadium when Chicago was pitching for the olympics. Seems that both the East and west stands were supposed to be identical but that they ran out of money and thus we got what is now the East stand.

rebuilding to that spec would actually be pretty cool.

You could possibly build on Floyd Long Field just north of Elder, but the neighbors wouldn’t like that and parking would be an issue. I think Central is the only viable location.

I remember seeing original plans for Dyche Stadium when Chicago was pitching for the olympics. Seems that both the East and west stands were supposed to be identical but that they ran out of money and thus we got what is now the East stand.

rebuilding to that spec would actually be pretty cool.
You might be able to shoehorn a small stadium into that lot, but you would have no place whatsoever for parking lots, the traffic would be nightmarish, and the neighbors would file lawsuits over it. Although it obviously would be preferable to have an on-campus stadium, that ship probably sailed 100 years ago.

I do agree that the original plan for the East stands would be great to revisit. The lack of symmetry in the current stadium makes it look half-finished, and it is not optimal to have TV cameras pointing at what looks like a large high school stadium on the East side.

Agreed with a lot of the above. My personal list would include:

1. Real seats. Bleachers weren't designed for 300 lb Big Ten fans wearing heavy coats. Or for sitting in front of people who have knees.

2. Smaller stadium capacity.

3. Better sight lines. Say what you will about the remodeled Soldier Field, but the sight lines are amazing.

4. Better food throughout the stadium. The food court in the south endzone is way too crowded and requires missing too much of the game to get there and back.

Last edited:
I wrote extensively about this in another thread.

Not sure if this is a tweak or an extensive remodel, but rip out the benches and replace them with comfy, schmumfy seats with cup holders--for beer. This probably means reducing capacity, which is fine. If you get 39,000 with 26,000 season ticketholders, mazeltov.

Maybe refurbish the upper deck with luxury (heated) boxes for all the rich old geezers.

My "big idea" is to take that south end zone, and turn it into an elevated restaurant space with windows overlooking the entire end south end zone. Maybe a deck, with indoor and outdoor seating. Get a year-round tenant, like Peckish Pig or something comparable, and make it a game day experience.

Combine many of the ideas above. Recognizing that there are probably financial limits:

- Remove the stands on the east side beyond the north end zone.
- Replace bench seating on the lower bowl with individual seats.
- Demolish the south stands and replace with new locker room facilities for the visiting team. Add club level facilities (Similar to Navy, Clemson, Indiana and others. Don't need to be large.). Open up view from Central to the field.
- New scoreboards.
- Improve grounds and hardscape surrounding stadium.

I would get rid of the south locker room facility because I think it is ugly, but probably not in the cards. Would be better to have open plaza with temporary tent food facilities opening up view to Ryan Fieldhouse.

I wrote extensively about this in another thread.

Not sure if this is a tweak or an extensive remodel, but rip out the benches and replace them with comfy, schmumfy seats with cup holders--for beer. This probably means reducing capacity, which is fine. If you get 39,000 with 26,000 season ticketholders, mazeltov.

Maybe refurbish the upper deck with luxury (heated) boxes for all the rich old geezers.

My "big idea" is to take that south end zone, and turn it into an elevated restaurant space with windows overlooking the entire end south end zone. Maybe a deck, with indoor and outdoor seating. Get a year-round tenant, like Peckish Pig or something comparable, and make it a game day experience.
I like these ideas, yours and some of the others.
- I'd keep it at 40k+
- I would bring in the upper deck on the W side a bit tighter, and consider adding an upper deck on the E side (though by going to actual seats rather than benches this should overall still net be slight reduction in capacity, would reduce # of rows in lower level of E side)- this should improve volume in the stadium
- Keep Walker terrace in the N end zone or something similar
- I like your idea of an open area for dining and SRO viewing atop the South concourse, would put a large video board behind it to counter the one in the NE corner
- I like the towers on the W side as an architectural feature but I'm not really sure what to do with them in terms of stadium design / seating. I guess just leave as is.

The stadium is only used 7-8 times a season, lets not go overboard on spending here. I like the classic towers, lets keep the existing lines.

-New Bathrooms and wider passage ways.
I think you need an exterior scaffolding on the West Side like new basketball arena which expands beyond the existing footprint on the first and second level.

-A security perimeter around the outside the stadium helps with crowds and allows food and bathrooms outside the existing stadium footprint.

-Real seats not benches. (But make them big enough, the basketball arena is really tight...)

-Expanded premium seating in upper tiers to generate revenue

Any worse than complaining about the stadium while refusing to make even a minimal contribution?
I see, only people who can afford to make a significant contribution to the stadium revamp are allowed to complain about the stadium. You have no idea how much discretionary money is available to retired people, willy, or anybody else. Hence, this post is even dumber.

Replace urinals with stainless steel troughs( don't stand next to anyone with grey hair) or reinstate the WCTU regulations in the parking lots-just solved the crowded restrooms without spending a dime

Be ready for seat licenses if any of the grandiose ideas are chosen

Reactions: Cat In The Cradle
I see, only people who can afford to make a significant contribution to the stadium revamp are allowed to complain about the stadium. You have no idea how much discretionary money is available to retired people, willy, or anybody else. Hence, this post is even dumber.

Except Willy straight-up asked on these very boards ways to get around the $600 minimum donation, then that plan failed.

The amount of things needed to make the current stadium up to par is just too great. As a result, I think they will need to tear it down eventually.

1. There are the obvious thins I would like to see, like well-lighted concourse under the stands and in the bathrooms, as well as bathrooms that can accommodate 50,000 fans all needing to urinate.

2. A great sound system would be nice. I can hardly ever understand what is being said.

3. I wouldn't put in individual seats like they have in a lot of other stadiums. We have a newer minor league baseball stadium where I live, and they just have bleachers with backrests, and they are very comfortable, especially if you bring a seat pad. They also have plenty of leg room. I think that is the best stadium seating for Northwestern because if a few seats are empty, it also allows for people to spread out in a row. If you have individual seats, people in the row can't spread out at all, AND if they are a few empty seats in a row, you can really see the empty seats, as opposed to the row spreading out and making it appear that it is more full than it actually is.

4. I would love to see them sell beer, but good beer. Perhaps craft beers of the Northwest Territory. Get some good Bell's, Founders, or Great Lakes Brewing in there. If you are going to gouge people on the price of a beer, at least make it good beer, and not Bud Light.

Reactions: techtim72
A few ideas:
  • Capacity 30-35k

This is spot on - matching towers provide an attractive symmetry, and could close off the ugly "bare bones" east stands. And rather than expand seating on the east side, the "upper deck of club seats/skyboxes" is exactly right. They can be glass on both sides and provide beautiful lake and city views. I've been to the ones at Levi's Stadium that have this feature, it's wonderful. Oh, and you can add lights on top of the four towers.

My only quibble is capacity should stay above 40k - going to seats from bleachers you lose 15% (Packers determined they'd lose that percentage at Lambeau Field, going from bleachers to seats). Even if the south end zone is re-done and you lose more seats that way, with the addition of club seats, you gotta stay above 40k.

Duke's Wallace Wade is 40,004, and we should not be below Duke. We're in a much larger metro area, we have a much more successful team. Vandy is 40,550. Aim a little higher, if we lose 5k seats we're at 42,130, sounds about right.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
This is spot on - matching towers provide an attractive symmetry, and could close off the ugly "bare bones" east stands. And rather than expand seating on the east side, the "upper deck of club seats/skyboxes" is exactly right. They can be glass on both sides and provide beautiful lake and city views. I've been to the ones at Levi's Stadium that have this feature, it's wonderful. Oh, and you can add lights on top of the four towers.

My only quibble is capacity should stay above 40k - going to seats from bleachers you lose 15% (Packers determined they'd lose that percentage at Lambeau Field, going from bleachers to seats). Even if the south end zone is re-done and you lose more seats that way, with the addition of club seats, you gotta stay above 40k.

Duke's Wallace Wade is 40,004, and we should not be below Duke. We're in a much larger metro area, we have a much more successful team. Vandy is 40,550. Aim a little higher, if we lose 5k seats we're at 42,130, sounds about right.
I pretty much agree with all of this.

Except Willy straight-up asked on these very boards ways to get around the $600 minimum donation, then that plan failed.
So what? That had nothing to do with stadium renovations, just West Lot tailgating. Again, I believe it was a financial issue. What this boils down to is you don't approve of people proposing stadium renovations unless they make a minimum monetary contribution, which is obviously absurd. I would suggest that you try to keep track of those who bitch about the stadium yet make no monetary contribution to NU sports. Then they can be banned from entering the newly renovated facility.

Wait until after Covid fully contained. Tear it down. Re-build it with 30,000 capacity and retractable roof. Of course, name it “Pat Fitzgerald Stadium”. True home field advantage.

Reactions: GeauxCatsGeaux
If we're talking goals - do you err on the side of comfort and amenities, or do you err on the side of atmosphere and "home field." What does a 17 year old on an official visit with an Ohio State and Michigan offer want? What does Fitz want? My guess is both would prefer to create an atmosphere.

I would want the stadium to reflect our unique fanbase and game-day atmosphere. Renovations would include:
  • A field-side private box with an imperial throne for Pat Ryan and family. A fun game-day tradition would be to have players assemble before the box and salute Mr. Ryan before the game commences.
  • An attached Lexus dealership that sells only purple Lexus's with those obnoxious red bows on them.
  • Concession vendors that roam the stadium with charcuterie et fromage and a pairing of fine wines
  • A "seating room only" section for high-capacity games to ensure overflow fans stay seated and protect sightlines. No clapping allowed.

Winning is best deoderant. Gotta go for home field advantage. Imagine building retractable roof, then not using it during a snow storm if the Cats feel it will be a bigger advantage . Have Microsoft build the roof for believability. (Damn thing needs a reboot again).

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT