• Raze and replace it

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Just tweak it a little

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So what? That had nothing to do with stadium renovations, just West Lot tailgating. Again, I believe it was a financial issue. What this boils down to is you don't approve of people proposing stadium renovations unless they make a minimum monetary contribution, which is obviously absurd. I would suggest that you try to keep track of those who bitch about the stadium yet make no monetary contribution to NU sports. Then they can be banned from entering the newly renovated facility.

No, I don’t approve of Willy’s constant bitching and moaning about pretty much everything. You just don’t like me and decided to make it personal.

I am not a fan of the towers gives it a little insane asylum vibe.
We need to build more towers, two to be precise, on the east end. This is what they originally envisioned before the Great Depression hit. Let's get some symmetry in there . . . Besides, I think it will help our field goal kickers.

Sorry, I would change very little. I love Ryan Field.
Whatever Duke did, the place is now like a gigantic solar field. Too hot and too bright. And N. Carolina BBQ is like vinegar mush

Reactions: drewjin
I'll reiterate my call for a floating stadium on Lake Michigan. Don't respond to that, I'm completely joking.

We really only need two sides along the east and west sidelines. We don't have enough demand for endzone seating. That said, it's up to billionaires to decide what happens, so our opinions don't matter.

Reactions: TheC
I'll reiterate my call for a floating stadium on Lake Michigan. Don't respond to that, I'm completely joking.

We really only need two sides along the east and west sidelines. We don't have enough demand for endzone seating. That said, it's up to billionaires to decide what happens, so our opinions don't matter.
That was you then! Great!! Don't give up on your dream. I even found us a developer already.

DHi50KSUwAAgNy5.jpg

Assuming social distancing may well be with us for the long term then replacing the bleachers with spaced out purple chairs would be a quick way to reduce stadium capacity.

Is expanded lake fill still a viable option for both a stadium and parking?

On second thought - a revamped scoreboard with a sweet sound system should be up in what I guess is the North end zone? It should just have Sean Connery sitting in a church pew saying "That's the Chicago Way" over and over.
We broke folks!

Except Willy straight-up asked on these very boards ways to get around the $600 minimum donation, then that plan failed.
Actually I "donated" the $600 figure numerous times but choose to stop when NU allowed first time folks to jump over long time ST holders. The $2,000 or so amount was just a bit to much resulting in many long time fans being priced out.

Last edited:
Rebuild closer to campus, 35,000 seating capacity, purple chairs instead of bleachers.
There is no place closer to campus with available land. And if you had been to other BIG venues, it is really pretty close. Plus what do you do about parking?

Reactions: drewjin
Actually I "donated" the $600 figure numerous times but choose to stop when NU allowed first time folks to jump over long time ST holders. The $2,000 or so amount was just a bit to much resulting in many long time fans being priced out.

I can attest to this, as one of the long haulers who got priced out of the West Lot in 2019. Looking forward to enjoying Central Golf this coming season, though. To tailgate, not golf.

As far as a Ryan Redo, I would like to recommend Zootcat's architectural drawing of a more symmetric plan for the stadium. He posted this a couple years (or more) ago, and I'm too lazy to dig it up. Zootcat, if you're listening...

You might be able to shoehorn a small stadium into that lot, but you would have no place whatsoever for parking lots, the traffic would be nightmarish, and the neighbors would file lawsuits over it. Although it obviously would be preferable to have an on-campus stadium, that ship probably sailed 100 years ago.

I do agree that the original plan for the East stands would be great to revisit. The lack of symmetry in the current stadium makes it look half-finished, and it is not optimal to have TV cameras pointing at what looks like a large high school stadium on the East side.
Esspecially with it being Evanston and long field is one of the only open spaces on campus

Sorry, I would change very little. I love Ryan Field.
Whatever Duke did, the place is now like a gigantic solar field. Too hot and too bright. And N. Carolina BBQ is like vinegar mush

I'll 2nd that BBQ opinion. I love BBQ. That vinegar mush ain't BBQ.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Bwm57

Exactly. It was a choice that you made, but that hasn't stopped you from bitching and moaning for years now.

How about a modern, oddly placed upper deck that looks like a UFO landed on the stadium? Wait - that's been done. Be careful what you wish for, folks

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Lots of good ideas here. In addition to a number of elegant suites in the Towers, the new stadium should include and an upscale lounge with unobstructed views of the lake and the Chicago skyline. This, of course, will add a few shekels to the construction costs. Perhaps the services of Captain Juggles could be enlisted to provide an extra boost to fund raising efforts.

Under the extraordinarily remote possibility that an anti-environmental Congress and President is elected and throws out 50 years of environmental laws and policy. I suggest to test my statement that you try to obtain a permit to erect a treehouse in a designated stream protected area in your neighborhood.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
As I understand it, the original permit would have allowed Northwestern to fill in even more of the lake than they did, but I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed now. Loyola applied to do a lakefill a few years after NU did it and was denied.

Renovate the West stands. Tear down the North and East stands and do what Notre Dame did and make it a multi use facility - classrooms, conference center, skyboxes, theater, etc, An academic center that can be used all year long as part of the stadium footprint. That is how you can make it worth th einvestment rather than a structure only used for 6 / 7 days out of the year. An I would cap the seating capacity between 35-40k tops

Renovate the West stands. Tear down the North and East stands and do what Notre Dame did and make it a multi use facility - classrooms, conference center, skyboxes, theater, etc, An academic center that can be used all year long as part of the stadium footprint. That is how you can make it worth th einvestment rather than a structure only used for 6 / 7 days out of the year. An I would cap the seating capacity between 35-40k tops
Classrooms and academic facilities a mile from north campus?

Universities should not be building any more classrooms. They should/remodel dorms with high speed internet, computer labs, and meeting rooms.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Exactly. It was a choice that you made, but that hasn't stopped you from bitching and moaning for years now.
You are truly pathetic, and you don't even realize it. This thread has to do with renovations to Ryan Field, and willy had some pretty reasonable suggestions in that regard. There was no bitching involved. You're capable of being reasonable sometimes. This is not one of them.

• Wow
Reactions: willycat
As I understand it, the original permit would have allowed Northwestern to fill in even more of the lake than they did, but I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed now. Loyola applied to do a lakefill a few years after NU did it and was denied.

I've heard NU maintains that option in perpetuity. However, there are other issues- cost, environmental requirements- that likely make it impractical. As much as I'd love a lakefront/on-campus stadium I'd say there's at most a 0% chance of it happening.

Anyway, lot of good suggestions here. The towers and curving facade of the west side are nice and distinctive, so hopefully they build on those features.

This is a couple of years old, but note that, while last in attendance in B1G, there are 7 teams clustered in a gap of around 8k a game. Further, look past us to a number of our peers, which are below us. Admittedly, a lot of our attendance comes from away games with Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska, but the same could be said for the other 6 in the lower B1G cluster with us

Esspecially with it being Evanston and long field is one of the only open spaces on campus

What about a multi level underground parking lot below the stadium or would water table issues be a nightmare so close to the lake?

Seems like the under the park parking in downtown Chicago close to the lake there has held up well for decades.

I think a stadium on the lake would be beautiful, but it is already pretty cold in November. I can only imagine how cold it could get with unobstructed wind off the lake.

Whatever they end up doing with the stadium, I think it wold be really cool to have enormous purple and white alternating flags around the top of the stadium. So big that it is actually sight, as opposed to just decoration.

Gotta tear the whole thing down and create something everyone wants to experience (much like NU did with the practice facility). Chicago is a huge venue and it will take for ever for everyone to experience the spectacle of a much talked about experience of college football.

Stanford did it right. Enclose the original footprint but half the size. True soccer rectangle square shape so the corners mean something.

we could do the same with the gutting of the inside. Forget the welsh ryan end zone. Bring the south stands in and up get rid of the seating in the north end of each sideline that is behind the end zone.
Have the seating angled more towards the field and create an overhang like husky stadium that keeps the rain off the stands and the sound in.

shrink the stadium from 46 to 40 k. Maybe you build a modern feature of glass boxes around the stadium. Plus probably do all this for Less than 500m.

you’d have a historical footprint with a modern footprint mix. By keeping the. Sound in you’d address the neighborhood noise factor. And if you could ever get Evanston to allow concerts, you’d have an amazing venue for that too.

If the donors put up $300 million, I'm not sure it makes sense to keep the structure of the West stands because you really do risk a Soldier Field situation if you try to fit something onto it..., and nobody wants to see an architectural mess like that repeated at Northwestern.

I wouldn't mind if we go for rebuilding the West stands facade and copying it to the East stands as was originally envisioned in the original plans for then Dyche stadium to seat upwards to 70,000 in a fully enclosed stadium with 4 towers at the corners.

Obviously, our seating needs are more like 42,000 to 44,000 at most, so that means we really can go full seating and wide concourses, 4 mega screens built into the corners, etc.

It all depends on what the donors want to spend, if it's just updating concourses and such that's one thing (and considerably less costly)...

But I happen to think we need a $300-400 million total rebuild from ground up (even if we use the West facade as a template). I think other things like a visitor center should be built into it as well; much larger concourses allowing for all possible amenities, etc.

Last edited:
You are truly pathetic, and you don't even realize it. This thread has to do with renovations to Ryan Field, and willy had some pretty reasonable suggestions in that regard. There was no bitching involved. You're capable of being reasonable sometimes. This is not one of them.

The hate is strong with this one.

If the donors put up $300 million, I'm not sure it makes sense to keep the structure of the West stands because you really do risk a Soldier Field situation if you try to fit something onto it..., and nobody wants to see an architectural mess like that repeated at Northwestern.

I wouldn't mind if we go for rebuilding the West stands facade and copying it to the East stands as was originally envisioned in the original plans for then Dyche stadium to seat upwards to 70,000 in a fully enclosed stadium with 4 towers at the corners.

Obviously, our seating needs are more like 42,000 to 44,000 at most, so that means we really can go full seating and wide concourses, 4 mega screens built into the corners, etc.

It all depends on what the donors want to spend, if it's just updating concourses and such that's one thing (and considerably less costly)...

But I happen to think we need a $300-400 million total rebuild from ground up (even if we use the West facade as a template). I think other things like a visitor center should be built into it as well; much larger concourses allowing for all possible amenities, etc.

Matching towers could be cool. The east side girter stands always gave off a faint whiff of Talladega.. However the future plan of the original designers below, is hideous. As if the Shoe and Beaver stadium had a child.

We need slightly wider concourses. Renovate some bathrooms with a total reno of both in the upper deck. Which presently seems like a flag pole sitters comfort station. And find some way to vivify the tomb that is under the west side stand overhang. If I have to spend another November game in that mausoleum, I will pay for my viewing in advance, NU alums have deep pockets. We just have to tell them that Pat Ryan has gone away up river in Cambodia with his Montagnard army and can't be reached. for a cash advance.
DYCHE2_courtesy_WEB.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: zeek55 and drewjin
When I was a student, I was told that NU's permit for the lakefill was for 160 acres and that in the first build they only expanded by a little over 80 acres. So, they could conceivable double the size of the lakefill. Of course, the permit was issued well before environment impact studies so I doubt it would happen. Specifically for the stadium, I think it would be a nightmare to move that many cars on campus and lose proximity to the El and Metra.

Matching towers could be cool. The east side girter stands always gave off a faint whiff of Talladega.. However the future plan of the original designers below, is hideous. As if the Shoe and Beaver stadium had a child.

We need slightly wider concourses. Renovate some bathrooms with a total reno of both in the upper deck. Which presently seems like a flag pole sitters comfort station. And find some way to vivify the tomb that is under the west side stand overhang. If I have to spend another November game in that mausoleum, I will pay for my viewing in advance, NU alums have deep pockets. We just have to tell them that Pat Ryan has gone away up river in Cambodia with his Montagnard army and can't be reached. for a cash advance.
DYCHE2_courtesy_WEB.jpg

Very cool. I have never seen this rendering. Looks like a stadium design before its time. Build that stadium.

In looking at the current (as originally built) stadium construction details it appears to me that the budget committee had complete control. Exposed rough board concrete, no masonry or stone detailing, crudely constructed ramps and other details. When you look at the other Big Ten stadiums built at the time and which were funded by the States, it is obvious that NU was trying to create the illusion of a grand stadium on the cheap.

Ran across this article on new MLS stadium construction:

Generally smaller capacity than would be ideal for NU but indicative of what could be done. Facility likely would need to be multi-purpose to justify - local HS sports, lacrosse, soccer, etc.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Stanford did it right. Enclose the original footprint but half the size. True soccer rectangle square shape so the corners mean something.

we could do the same with the gutting of the inside. Forget the welsh ryan end zone. Bring the south stands in and up get rid of the seating in the north end of each sideline that is behind the end zone.
Have the seating angled more towards the field and create an overhang like husky stadium that keeps the rain off the stands and the sound in.

shrink the stadium from 46 to 40 k. Maybe you build a modern feature of glass boxes around the stadium. Plus probably do all this for Less than 500m.

you’d have a historical footprint with a modern footprint mix. By keeping the. Sound in you’d address the neighborhood noise factor. And if you could ever get Evanston to allow concerts, you’d have an amazing venue for that too.
I don't want to change much, but there is something here I like. Even at my first trip as a Freshman, I thought the angle of the seating was strangely obtuse relative to the field, sort of "flat". Then, having been on the field during goalpost lakings, it seemed that the sound from the stands went "up". Contrast to a trip I made to Notre Dumb and the Horsesh**, where you need a Sherpa to climb to your seat. So, yeah, I'd steepen the seating.
In contrast, the Big (out)House also seems flat, but I am biased against all things Mich, so...

When I was daydreaming about a floating stadium, I was thinking that it could be floated to downtown Chicago and used for other events such as Major League Soccer. That would avoid the 'only used seven days a year' situation. That said, it's a science fiction idea that would never been financially practical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT