ADVERTISEMENT

The NCAA finally speaks up ...

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
... on a Friday night. Way to take a leadership position.

Do it on Friday night and hope no one will hear.

Anyhow, this is probably more appropriate on the football board.

If you're the P5 conferences, don't you start planning pretty soon for a spring season (with your fingers crossed)? I don't think there's any way the players are able to live together to get ready in early August for an August/September kickoff.

And what do you do with basketball if football is playing? (A-hem!! Football/basketball doubleheaders all over the place!!! Com' on!!).

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...t-says-fall-sports-likely-no-go-campuses-open

Reactions: NUCat320
That’s what conference commissioners told Pence a month ago — no students on campus, no sports. But several schools are planning on having students back by fall. Will they? We shall see.

That’s what conference commissioners told Pence a month ago — no students on campus, no sports. But several schools are planning on having students back by fall. Will they? We shall see.
We have two Division II universities here in Erie Pa., Mercyhurst and Gannon, both of which announced that their students would be returning to campus in August. As of now, I believe they both plan to play football and basketball.

Here in Arizona both U of A and ASU with 40 and 60k students are planning on fall back to campus.

They can plan all they want. I would be shocked if colleges are back in the fall. It would take a really major breakthrough to justify putting that many people in harm's way.

Reactions: TXnumbCAT
They can plan all they want. I would be shocked if colleges are back in the fall. It would take a really major breakthrough to justify putting that many people in harm's way.
Prepare to be shocked. I think the entire BIG will be back, including NU. Wanna bet?

I
Prepare to be shocked. I think the entire BIG will be back, including NU. Wanna bet?
I hope you are correct! Just not sure the mayor and governor share your optimism. I have an App for Covid 19 sufferers coming out in a week or two. That is a game changer and may help identify one’s true stress level. But the App won’t treat the true cause. We ain’t finding a vaccine, cuz we haven’t found one for the flu yet either. So we need to be better at identifying and treating the virus. That to me is an impossible pipe dream. Why? Respiratory flare ups calm down over a period of days, likely 7-14, even with a solid treatment. Why? Inflamed tissue just doesn’t get healthy overnight. We need a brain trust to figure out of the virus is anything but the flu. If we find the virus is just another flu, then that is the only way, we get back to normal. I don’t have any answers.

Both of these Arizona universities have developed their own covid-19 and antibody tests and plan to utilize them on all students and faculty on a recurring basis.

Reactions: corbi296
Both of these Arizona universities have developed their own covid-19 and antibody tests and plan to utilize them on all students and faculty on a recurring basis.
At some point organizations AND individuals will have to choose how much risk they are willing to take. I really don't think you can hold back the American spirit of adventurism, innovation and free enterprise.
Things like testing, masks, social reductions, accelerated cleaning protocols, air purification systems and new medical treatments are all tools that will reduce the risks, bringing the COVID 19 risks down to "Typical flu like levels".
The thing that is going to ruin the party for all of us is the people who refuse to take the precautions; people who won't wear a mask, people who go out even when they feel like they have a cold and people who refuse to get tested when asked.
What we need is leadership that honestly tells us how dangerous things are; what is actually working and what is not; what we really know and what we don't and then tells us to go be safe.

Last edited:
Guess we will see if the parents want their kids to be guinea pigs.

At some point organizations AND individuals will have to choose how much risk they are willing to take. I really don't think you can hold back the American spirit of adventurism, innovation and free enterprise.
Things like testing, masks, social reductions, accelerated cleaning protocols, air purification systems and new medical treatments are all tools that will reduce the risks, bringing the COVID 19 risks down to "Typical flu like levels".
The thing that is going to ruin the party for all of us is the people who refuse to take the precautions; people who won't wear a mask, people who go out even when they feel like they have a cold and people who refuse to get tested when asked.
What we need is leadership that honestly tells us how dangerous things are; what is actually working and what is not; what we really know and what we don't and then tells us to go be safe.
The only thing that will end this risk, is a successful vaccine. Just read the a player on a German soccer team has tested positive, thus the entire team is on a 14 day quarantine. No games!

Having a son that attends a BIG school, I hope and pray that you are right. The path forward to that, however, doesn't exist at the moment. But there is time.

My “other” school, UC San Diego is in transition in elevating our athletic program to D1 (w/o football) and has joined the Big West Conference. The school announced a program where it will be testing 60,000 undergrad, grad and staff every month. Classes will be held both via Zoom and somehow using social distancing. So our students at UCSD (and at other local colleges like USD) will be coming back to campus in the fall. Our students and staff will be tested monthly. We’ve not heard details yet about contact tracing.

Universities are under a lot of financial and social pressure as well to “return to normal”. As a medical provider UCSD is bleeding a ton money like other hospitals and it needs money to run dorms and cafeterias- empty dorms and classrooms won’t pay the bills and paychecks for staff. The university had experienced tremendous growth prior to the pandemic and large construction projects have been halted including a trolley extension to campus. It’s likely those construction projects will reboot in the fall which involve hundreds of construction workers coming back on campus.

Lots of uncertainties for universities moving forward in the fall but it appears that college students will be returning to campuses, at least in my area. I don’t know yet about fans attending sporting events or even details about how athletes will be able to compete safely, particularly in team sports. Who knows at this point?

Last edited:
My daughter attends the annual Wilson Tennis summer camp at Northwestern. Just received an email that it was canceled along with all other on-campus activities through the end of summer. I suspect that this decree will affect summer training for all of NU's fall sports teams.

The only thing that will end this risk, is a successful vaccine. Just read the a player on a German soccer team has tested positive, thus the entire team is on a 14 day quarantine. No games!
I agree with you, but I would not be surprised if they will come up with a risk management plan that many people will find acceptable. Especially on the professional level.

It’s an economic bloodbath! Northwestern may lose a hundred million with this shutdown! Others, maybe more. I think the situation will turn dire if no return to normalcy happens within a few weeks.

Dont be so silly and negative. Kill the virus by going outside! Stop your nonsense about getting a vaccine. You are smarter than that!

I want to bet. There is very little chance that entire campuses will be open. There may be pockets of students who return in the fall but the majority of students won’t be on campus and that
Means no football.

My “other” school, UC San Diego is in transition in elevating our athletic program to D1 (w/o football) and has joined the Big West Conference. The school announced a program where it will be testing 60,000 undergrad, grad and staff every month. Classes will be held both via Zoom and somehow using social distancing. So our students at UCSD (and at other local colleges like USD) will be coming back to campus in the fall. Our students and staff will be tested monthly. We’ve not heard details yet about contact tracing.

Universities are under a lot of financial and social pressure as well to “return to normal”. As a medical provider UCSD is bleeding a ton money like other hospitals and it needs money to run dorms and cafeterias- empty dorms and classrooms won’t pay the bills and paychecks for staff. The university had experienced tremendous growth prior to the pandemic and large construction projects have been halted including a trolley extension to campus. It’s likely those construction projects will reboot in the fall which involve hundreds of construction workers coming back on campus.

Lots of uncertainties for universities moving forward in the fall but it appears that college students will be returning to campuses, at least in my area. I don’t know yet about fans attending sporting events or even details about how athletes will be able to compete safely, particularly in team sports. Who knows at this point?
Thats good to hear. Usually California is a bit fearful and in panic modes over ghost narratives. I doubt our illinois governor will open things up like smart republican governors.

Thats good to hear. Usually California is a bit fearful and in panic modes over ghost narratives. I doubt our illinois governor will open things up like smart republican governors.

If there is no vaccine by the time the season starts and NU plays games will you feel safe enough to attend the games?

Forget about all the silly political comparisons, are people returning to life as we knew it before Covid 19 if there is no vaccine for it?

It’s an economic bloodbath! Northwestern may lose a hundred million with this shutdown! Others, maybe more. I think the situation will turn dire if no return to normalcy happens within a few weeks.
Each additional month puts a State economy under 1 additional year to potentially dig out. Most forecast modeled that a 2 month lockdown + stimulus = 6 month 85% recovery. But a 3rd month modeled like a cliff, assuming even additional stimulus, and meant an additional 1 year recovery but at 70% (with all other variables the same). A 4th month was left undefined since it would plunge the nation into an abyss that modeled everything from Mad Maxology to civil war.

Reactions: Titanium999
Each additional month puts a State economy under 1 additional year to potentially dig out. Most forecast modeled that a 2 month lockdown + stimulus = 6 month 85% recovery. But a 3rd month modeled like a cliff, assuming even additional stimulus, and meant an additional 1 year recovery but at 70% (with all other variables the same). A 4th month was left undefined since it would plunge the nation into an abyss that modeled everything from Mad Maxology to civil war.
Where did you read this? Do u have a link?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT