ADVERTISEMENT

The parking situation

So...I got the email I've been dreading for a while - based on my two decades of purple points, I will be warehousing my car in the hospital garage this season. Of course, all that could change with a $3,000 donation, but I've made some life and career choices where I can't reasonably justify spending that kind of money for parking my car a half dozen times. Oh right, and to support our student athletes.

This of course prompted my two non-NU alum fellow season ticket holders to ask if we should even bother going this year, which sorta breaks my heart to be honest.

And then it conjured a whole host of other unanswered questions from those two:
* So this season and then we go play somewhere else?
* Where?
* For how long?
* Will we be able to park on the golf course when we get back?
* Will we even be able to afford to go to the new one?
* I noticed there weren't grand plans for more parking in the new stadium renderings (that one wasn't so much a question...)

,,,just some recreational complaining to literally the only group that might remotely understand my plight.

Unfortunately, this is the new reality. NIL money has ruined the game. I did not renew my season tickets this year. I don't see the point since I will probably never be willing to pay the new stadium ticket prices. I'll still watch on TV (unless we are awful) and I'll still keep in touch with my NUMBAlum friends, but NU football just doesn't mean as much to me as it once did.

Reactions: GECat2 and 2388bb
1) Such an INCREDIBLY dumb response by the athletic department representative. I can understand why you'd be turned off.

2) So many of the same general concepts that went into building the basketball arena are being used in the new Ryan Field. Hopefully one of them is good seats at a good price. The upper level at WR Arena has kept prices VERY similar to pre-construction times. I believe those prices remain the same except for two pretty minor increases in 15 years before the construction.

I hope Ryan Field offers have the same options.

3) If I were the NCAA or the commissioner of a major sport, I'd be very concerned about the cash grab for the high income fan. Obviously you need that fan, but to ignore younger fans and limit your growth to an economic group is asking for long-term trouble. I think we're in the beginning stages of that trouble with smaller stadiums and pushback on television contracts.

Reactions: 2388bb
Typical of you inability to understand someone’s point of view. Fans who’ve been going for years are deeply disappointed that they won’t be able to afford going to games. In keeping to your incredibly original “can’t have your cake and eat it, too” analogy, you tell them, in essence, “Let them eat cake!”
Thanks, Marie. Don’t lose your head.

Yes. Exactly what I’m saying. Totally nailed it.

I, too, have been going to games for years while purchasing multiple tickets, making the donations, etc. I am fully aware of the idea that increased costs are a pain in the butt… and hey, I might make a value judgement that it ends up being too expensive, I don’t know!

My point is that bringing the program‘s resources up to a modern level is going to ruffle some feathers. The athletic department is well aware of that idea and it’s all part of the calculation. Individual consumers are obviously entitled to make their own decision, but constant bitching about it gets old.

Reactions: catfans5
You can tell you used to work for the program.

And even then, that was over a decade ago! The college football landscape has changed DRASTICALLY since then, but NU has been slow to adapt. The new stadium is an opportunity to accelerate that adaptation in meaningful, long-term ways.

And you still do not get it. The athletic department gets $100 million from its association with the BIG. The new stadium is being built with donated money. So what does this money grab provide that isn't already covered? It isn't about providing resources. Those have already been provided. So this is nothing other than a money grab

… which goes back to the Athletic Department, therefore better supporting football and the rest of the varsity programs.

We should know by now that demand for parking passes is much higher when certain programs are playing in Evanston, especially Iowa. Penn State probably increases demand as well, since any Chicago/Midwest-based PSU fans don’t get to see their team in person very often. And, as has been discussed frequently around here, it is my belief that fans from those schools will gladly plop down a couple grand to guarantee premium parking at NU because 1) it really isn’t that expensive compared to the world of P5 football and 2) they can at least recover some of their expense by selling tickets and/or passes to the other games.

Either way, ticket/pass gate revenue is never going to move the needle very much at NU. All about the BTN TV contract dollars.
And there you say it. All this alienation of existing fan WILL NOT MOVE THE NEEDLE very much at NU.. So then why are they looking to do it? Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

No one is saying that no increase is allowable. Just sounds like the increases are slated to be pretty major. It is one thing to add $100 (or even $200) to a ST cost. Something quite different to require an addition non tax deductible donation of $1000-2500 per seat. For 6-7 games (Still going to push games to Wrigley?) ends up being a HUGE increase in cost for the average fan

We have already how these things play out at WR and it only holds 6500. They have already had to half the donation requirements for a lot of desirable seats on the first floor. (I moved into better seats when they did. And that was only doubling to tripling prices (including donations) for descent seating As far as the higher donations, ever see all those empty spaces in the Wilson Club?

Reactions: 2388bb
And there you say it. All this alienation of existing fan WILL NOT MOVE THE NEEDLE very much at NU.. So then why are they looking to do it? Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

No one is saying that no increase is allowable. Just sounds like the increases are slated to be pretty major. It is one thing to add $100 (or even $200) to a ST cost. Something quite different to require an addition non tax deductible donation of $1000-2500 per seat. For 6-7 games (Still going to push games to Wrigley?) ends up being a HUGE increase in cost for the average fan

We have already how these things play out at WR and it only holds 6500. They have already had to half the donation requirements for a lot of desirable seats on the first floor. (I moved into better seats when they did. And that was only doubling to tripling prices (including donations) for descent seating As far as the higher donations, ever see all those empty spaces in the Wilson Club?

NU is looking to maximize the revenue opportunity, just as it (and any other business) should.

You don’t even know what the price increase is going to be, nor whether there might end up being some kind of “grandfathering” clause. This is all literally just waving at windmills.

And, even if that is the increase, you could still get perfectly decent seats at the 15 or 20 yard line rather than the 45 or 50 that better suit your price range.

Unless I have missed the construction of wind turbines on the Lakefill, it is figuratively waving, not literally......
NIMBY The people pushing for all this windmills won't allow them in their backyards

Which comes first? More expensive seats, or a better product on the field? I have no reason to believe that raising season ticket prices, and parking pass costs, will have any effect on the quality of play - unless, ALL that extra seat and parking revenue gets pumped back in to a meaningful NIL program - and that still may not be enough to move the needle.

Gocats is right about one thing, "The college football landscape has changed DRASTICALLY . . ." And I'll garan-damn-tee you, this is just the start. A relative of mine who has decades of coaching experience at the Div 1 level and NFL thinks these changes will ruin the sport and I'm inclined to agree with him. There's lots of dynamics at work here, and you/we are just experiencing the start of it.

Based on the response Aging Booster got from the athletic dept, if the new seating cost/value propositioin was the brainchild of Kellog, it gets a fail from me.

Right now, I'm still a season ticket holder, but hardly ever use the tickets myself. Will have to wait and see how things play out, but not real optomistic based on this thread.

We generally average below 30K There are between 12-18 k st depending on the year so it takes single ticket sales to get anywhere near 30K
So as not to go back decades, let's take it from 2010, from Hail to Purple -

2010 36,449
2011 33,442
2012 35,697
2013 39,307
2014 38,613
2015 33,366
2016 34,798
2017 35,853
2018 43,873
2019 37,736
2020 Pandemic
2021 30,796 (Pandemic concerns linger)
2022 28,697

By the way, we could see a several thousand per game increase if our non-conference featured more big time teams. Notre Dame alone caused a big bump the year they came, so there is that to consider as well (of course, we could lose the game and make getting into a bowl game or the playoffs a lot more difficult. Trade off!_.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I think we can all see and agree the way things are trending.

I will simply say, as I have in the past, I really hate when the goal of maximizing revenue creates a painfully adversarial relationship between all parties. It's the reason I don't watch pro sports (but obviously, they're doing fine with out me).

Look at the Cubs. When the team is down, you literally can't GIVE tickets away, even to alleged "die hard" fans. and when the team is on fire, Wrigley thinks up new double super-platinum level games where it costs $400 to sit in the bleachers. Then your favorite player drops one ball in the outfield and people talk about getting rid of him because he negotiated an appallingly high salary.

And so...yeah...in 10 years I will balk at the PSL rates in the new Ryan Field, and shout profanities at our QB for throwing an 2 INTs in a game after he negotiated an NIL package "that was best for me and my family." Or just watch the XFL. Sigh.

The gnashing of teeth in this thread is hilarious.This thread started with parking and morphed into a new stadium b—ch fest. I am with GoCats on this one.

NU football tix are/were deep cheap. After I started with season tix in 96, I donated to get parking passes. When they started the minimum donation, $500 or $600, we made the donation. I have 2 parking passes. 7 games a year and 7 hours for tailgate and game. The cost per hour is/was $16 hr to $20/hr. After the first B10 Championship season, we had to pony up an additional $1900 or $40/hr. Not worth it. After 20 years, we were sent to the golf course. So be it. We kept up our donations. Last year and this year, we are/were in the west lot. Why? We were loyal to NU. It was not that expensive.

As to the stadium, NU will offer the Waldorf Astoria, Hilton or Hampton Inn experience. Same option with the renovated WRA. I decided the Hampton Inn experience was worth it. At that time, I had b/ball tix for 12 years. Was NU disloyal to me? Nope. I had an early selection spot for the Hampton Inn tix. The same will happen with the football stadium.

Frankly, folks have paid dirt cheap prices for years. They now want special status/seats over folks who will give real money to the program. If I lose my parking/seat status (west parking lot and 45 yard line) because someone will donate $10k, good for them and NU.

So as not to go back decades, let's take it from 2010, from Hail to Purple -

2010 36,449
2011 33,442
2012 35,697
2013 39,307
2014 38,613
2015 33,366
2016 34,798
2017 35,853
2018 43,873
2019 37,736
2020 Pandemic
2021 30,796 (Pandemic concerns linger)
2022 28,697

By the way, we could see a several thousand per game increase if our non-conference featured more big time teams. Notre Dame alone caused a big bump the year they came, so there is that to consider as well (of course, we could lose the game and make getting into a bowl game or the playoffs a lot more difficult. Trade off!_.
Thanks for info. Could say recency bias or that there is attendance (people actually making it to stands or just tickets purchased vs actually attending) How many times to you see blocks of empty seats in areas that are traditionally ST seats, Actual attendance for many of those years probably did not get to 30K

Drive away existing fans thinking you are going to get these new fans willing to pony up. Problem with that is that that group is pretty fickle and would likely be gone as fast as they arrive. Especially if NU does not perform at a very high OSU type level on the field. As far as on game day, I prefer beer and brats to Chablis and Brie (the crowd they are counting on bringing in) I wouldn't count on that many willing to pay $10K on a regular basis for the college FB experience at NU.
Look no further than the new Welsh Ryan. Was a popular ticket for the first year or maybe two, then the place was a ghost town (unless you count all the opposing fans) until this season went well. Hell before last season they cut the amount of money I had to pay.

Maybe their plan is just to be able to make money off the fans of opposing Big 10 football teams…

1) Such an INCREDIBLY dumb response by the athletic department representative. I can understand why you'd be turned off.

2) So many of the same general concepts that went into building the basketball arena are being used in the new Ryan Field. Hopefully one of them is good seats at a good price. The upper level at WR Arena has kept prices VERY similar to pre-construction times. I believe those prices remain the same except for two pretty minor increases in 15 years before the construction.

I hope Ryan Field offers have the same options.

3) If I were the NCAA or the commissioner of a major sport, I'd be very concerned about the cash grab for the high income fan. Obviously you need that fan, but to ignore younger fans and limit your growth to an economic group is asking for long-term trouble. I think we're in the beginning stages of that trouble with smaller stadiums and pushback on television contracts.
Problem with the cash grab is those fans are typically the first ones to bail if the team isn’t good or once the new experience shine wears off

We had basically these exact arguments over the W-R renovations, with all the same predictions of impending doom, and now everyone loves the place.
After the first year it was a ghost town for non-conf games and full of opposing fans for conference games. Only last year when the team was really good did NU fans start showing up again.

I have had season tickets for about 25 years, despite living in DC and now Hilton Head. I reduced the number of season tickets this year and will bail next year, as I likened this decision to Fitz' ultimatum to Bajakian-play entertaining competitive football or I am gone. The increased cost of attendance is irrelevant. I doubt the theorized plan for NU to maximize revenue will be successful.

I had season tickets to the Redskins immediately after moving to DC, despite a 20 year waiting list. I would go to RFK and buy a ticket outside and then enjoy the game. If I couldn't find a ticket, I would go to the Hawk and Dove and enjoy the game.

I will employ my time-tested Redskin's ST plan for NU in the future. I reject the contention that I am hurting the student athletes because according to NU my seats will be occupied by more affluent fans.

Look no further than the new Welsh Ryan. Was a popular ticket for the first year or maybe two, then the place was a ghost town (unless you count all the opposing fans) until this season went well. Hell before last season they cut the amount of money I had to pay.

Maybe their plan is just to be able to make money off the fans of opposing Big 10 football teams…
But that is it. They don't really make that much on selling individual tickets to the visiting fans because they are at face plus handling fees. And not that many games are that high profile. By contrast, when someone bought the ST, they were forced to pay the "donation" (non deductible) in order to be able to even purchase the tickets. In the center court area opposite the Wilson Club area, that donation was, if I recall correctly, $2500 donation to be able to buy two tickets. That meant that the "donation "was 3 to 4 times as much as for the actual season tickets. Off to the side, it was $1500 donation for 2 tickets or $750 each or about 2 times the cost of the tickets themselves. corners were $300 each or almost as much as the tickets. And that is with no ammenities. (with them you have the Wilson Club) Last year those donations were about halfed and became a much more reasonable proposition. But it took 5 or so years to get it to reasonable levels. And by the way, the couple years of being a popular ticket were only one or two years removed from first NCAA appearance. Football would be several years removed from BTC appearance

Just as an example, my 6 tickets are on East side at about the 50 (and it took a while to get there) so let's consider what might be required between the 40's. Now if FB followed the same template, it would be at least $1250 per ticket donation or 3 times the price of the actual ST. Suddenly you are talking over $10K for those 6 tickets. And would they stop there or push it even further? And while fans might be willing to absorb STs in the $350-400 range for a while with sub standard performance, at $2K or more per ticket, I doubt they would have that patience.

Reality is that we do not yet know what they are going to do but we have seen indications. And it is still a couple years in the future

We had basically these exact arguments over the W-R renovations, with all the same predictions of impending doom, and now everyone loves the place.
Were you there the years after the first year. It got empty in a hurry and those fans did not come back till last year

Reactions: PurpleFaze
I have had season tickets for about 25 years, despite living in DC and now Hilton Head. I reduced the number of season tickets this year and will bail next year, as I likened this decision to Fitz' ultimatum to Bajakian-play entertaining competitive football or I am gone. The increased cost of attendance is irrelevant. I doubt the theorized plan for NU to maximize revenue will be successful.

I had season tickets to the Redskins immediately after moving to DC, despite a 20 year waiting list. I would go to RFK and buy a ticket outside and then enjoy the game. If I couldn't find a ticket, I would go to the Hawk and Dove and enjoy the game.

I will employ my time-tested Redskin's ST plan for NU in the future. I reject the contention that I am hurting the student athletes because according to NU my seats will be occupied by more affluent fans.
Though the decision for the next two years is pretty easy as they will be playing someplace else and we do not even know where that will be. Hard to say that they will even require STs for continuity (don't think they did for BB) And when they have played home games at other venues it has been an extra cost option rather than part of ST package. Of course once you discontinue purchasing STs because of the two year hiatus fro Ryan field, I can see it as being pretty hard to get you back

Northwestern's only concern should be to get the stands filled with as many Northwestern fans as they possibly can. Maximizing profit should be last on the list at this point. First should be fielding a consistently competitive team, and second is creating a diehard fan culture. Once they have a waiting list for STH, then they can look at trying to squeeze some fans for money.

The last three years we could go to games have been horseshit. Unwatchable at times and definitely not worth the money requested for me. See you later.

The last three years we could go to games have been horseshit. Unwatchable at times and definitely not worth the money requested for me. See you later.
After this year they will have a couple years to get it right. Fail to and it could get ugly fast

Were you there the years after the first year. It got empty in a hurry and those fans did not come back till last year

Yeah I was, and it was empty because the team was awful. Just like the old W-R was empty most years because the team was awful. But it was a hell of a lot nicer sitting in the new building to watch bad basketball.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. NU is basically starting to operate more like a modern P5 football program, not even with the same minimum donation levels as our B1G brethren.
Always makes me laugh around this time of year. So many people here boast of the affluence and career and financial successes of the NU fan base, but then lament and wail about losing their parking pass to park 20 yards from the stadium because they have to pony up some donation dollars.

And it’s nowhere near $3,000 a year. GMAB. As someone now in my 20th+ year of getting my first choice of parking in the West and now the East lot, it is shocking how little it takes.

Always makes me laugh around this time of year. So many people here boast of the affluence and career and financial successes of the NU fan base, but then lament and wail about losing their parking pass to park 20 yards from the stadium because they have to pony up some donation dollars.

And it’s nowhere near $3,000 a year. GMAB. As someone now in my 20th+ year of getting my first choice of parking in the West and now the East lot, it is shocking how little it takes.
It depends. For some it is not but for others around the fringes it is. One of the big issues this year is that the golf lots are gone putting extra pressure on E and W lots. And while for the next couple years it might not be an issue as we will be playing elsewhere, it could get a lot worse when the stadium reopens if the golf course lots are still not available and if the redo also takes the East Lot out of commission. Without those lots there is simply nowhere to put 8-10K cars (or even 5K)

All the golf course folks have to go somewhere. I suspect most of the golf course folks are there because they didn’t qualify for the East and West lots. So, what I struggle to understand is why so many that were in the East/West seem to have regressed to the garage. Maybe it is only a few vocal people! Surely, most aren’t kicking in $3K extra to park for 6 games, none of which is terribly appealing?

Could an option have been to greatly reduce assigned parking? Keeping it to the mega donors. Significantly raise the prices for the premium lots and have first come first served? No different than professional sports! Closer costs more, but it eliminates the quarter full lot syndrome NU has for non marquee games. If these fees and the increased donations “don’t move the needle” then why not? Is parking in a hospital garage really going to create potential new customers that want to return? Last year of stadium, some completely new process on the horizon, crappy schedule, seems like the ideal time to actually try to do something for the common loyal fan that doesn’t own 6 businesses! Creativity is not a forte of these people.
I don't know why they would push existing STH out of the West lot. I walk to games and the West lot is typically less than 50% full. Can that really be people with tickets and parking that are continual no-shows?

Things must be REAL bad. My lowly purple point butt got in the East lot.
Same! After initially getting an email saying I’d likely be relegated to a non-tailgating parking garage, got an email today saying I got East Lot.

Just got East Lot assignment, after being assigned to covered parking. Wonder if those who bailed will have quitters’ remorse. For future seasons won’t they be losing their “consecutive years” status in their purple points?

Reactions: Sheffielder
Today I was advised I no longer qualify for my season parking after 35 years of season tix. The embarrassing actions of the leadership have made this an easy but regrettable decision.

I don't know why they would push existing STH out of the West lot. I walk to games and the West lot is typically less than 50% full. Can that really be people with tickets and parking that are continual no-shows?
They allocate the parking based on their point system which gave a lot of priority to donations, And yes many of them (tickets and parking are not used ) for lessor games

Just got East Lot assignment, after being assigned to covered parking. Wonder if those who bailed will have quitters’ remorse. For future seasons won’t they be losing their “consecutive years” status in their purple points?
Who knows. They may be desperate to get people to come back so the change their system again, They no longer have upper hand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT