ADVERTISEMENT

The plot thickens: current player says whistleblower wanted Fitz fired, “in jail”

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
The former player said Sunday that Schill was "extremely receptive" to his accounts of hazing within the program and offered him resources to deal with the trauma.

A current Northwestern player, who asked to remain anonymous, also told ESPN on Sunday that the former player, whose hazing allegations late in 2022 launched the investigation, informed him of a detailed plan with the sole objective to take down Fitzgerald. The current player on Sunday relayed a conversation he said he had early this year with the former player to Northwestern trustees and other influential university figures.

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK, I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

"The truth is none of that stuff happened in our locker room."

The current player said the former player told him he would go public with detailed allegations if the university's investigation did not result in Fitzgerald's dismissal and referenced the 2021 situation involving athletic director Mike Polisky, who stepped down amid media and public pressure nine days after being promoted. Polisky had been named as a defendant in a lawsuit filed by a former Northwestern cheerleader.

"He was thinking he could do the same with Coach Fitz, if he went to The Daily Northwestern and went public with it," the current player said.

Told of the current player's account, the former player said he wanted to "absolutely seek action to get Fitz out of the program," but had other objectives.

"I want to shed light on this heinous, illegal behavior," the former player said. "I wanted illegal behavior out of the program. This is an absolutely barbaric and egregious culture that ultimately lies on the shoulders of the head coach."

The former player told ESPN that hazing was organized and widespread in Northwestern's program, often led by a group of older players called the "Shrek gang."

Reactions: NUfanfrom CA
This is ridiculous. That title of the article is incredibly misleading. It doesn’t even mention anything about the current player’s story in the quick preview too.

Has anyone confirmed the Shrek white board? If it was up for three years then someone else would have seen it and can confirm. It seems integral to the story here.

Reactions: Eurocat
@mkilla Rittenberg received the photo. It’s not clear that the photo definitively came from the NU locker room.

The image seems to corroborate much of the reporting, and to provide color to the statements in the executive summary.

The photo does not, we should say, align with the statement made by The ENTIRE Northwestern Football Team. However, we don’t know who was involved in writing that statement nor who endorses it; the statement is essentially unsigned.

ESPN (NU alum Adam Rittenberg) has a source saying:

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK. I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

This seems like blackmail or order a Tuna Sandwich at the McClurg Subway on the coldest night Smollett style.
If most of what is being reported is true, can't blame a guy for wanting the coach fired, I would too.

Hard to say what's true at this point, we'll find out soon.

ESPN (NU alum Adam Rittenberg) has a source saying:

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK. I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

This seems like blackmail or order a Tuna Sandwich at the McClurg Subway on the coldest night Smollett style.
I wonder why the current player, who said the former player wanted Fitz fired or in jail, stayed anonymous. It would have added more credibility to his story if he had allowed Rittenberg to use his name, even though he could never name the accuser.

This is quite the twist, and I want as much information as possible before any decisions are made. What the hell has happened to our program.

Reactions: Rebel II
I wonder why the current player, who said the former player wanted Fitz fired or in jail, stayed anonymous. It would have added more credibility to his story if he had allowed Rittenberg to use his name, even though he could never name the accuser.

This is quite the twist, and I want as much information as possible before any decisions are made. What the hell has happened to our program.
He stayed anonymous because he felt like he had something relevant to add but didn't want his life to go into freefall.

He stayed anonymous because he felt like he had something relevant to add but didn't want his life to go into freefall.
I must say I really don't agree. Why would his life go into free fall for telling the truth? Sure, it may create controversy and unwanted attention but remaining anonymous creates an element of doubt about what the person is saying. This really applies to everyone involved in this story. Have the courage to stand by your statements.

Here’s what’s also bugging me: why only one whistleblower? Did the player who confirmed his story also feel like a victim, or that it was too much?

If a number of players felt victimized by this and came out now saying so, they’d likely get a payday from NU athletics down the line.

So, was this hazing as bad as what came out on Saturday? Or, were a couple of players really offended - as I would be?

Or does one player have a really big axe to grind?

And I mean I want to hear from other players who felt victimized or violated. Not just witnesses that this occurred- but actual players saying it happened to them, and at the least they felt uncomfortable.

There’s hazing, and then there’s sexual abuse - and we need more info.

I was thinking about the Ferentz/Iowa incidents over the weekend. Between the workout scandals where several players were pushed to the point of organ failure/hospitalization and the rampant accusations of racism from former players and yet somehow Ferentz and the program have survived, evolved and thrived.

I was thinking about the Ferentz/Iowa incidents over the weekend. Between the workout scandals where several players were pushed to the point of organ failure/hospitalization and the rampant accusations of racism from former players and yet somehow Ferentz and the program have survived, evolved and thrived.
Miracles do occur… corbi and I agree.

What Ferentz has done over the years is worse based on what’s been reported so far.

I realize we hold ourselves to a higher standard than Iowa, but I want to hear from more than one player who will say this warrants firing. Yesterday I was of the mind that coaches might get fired… now, I need more far more information to render any judgement.

WTH doesn’t NU release a redacted report?

Here’s what’s also bugging me: why only one whistleblower? Did the player who confirmed his story also feel like a victim, or that it was too much?

If a number of players felt victimized by this and came out now saying so, they’d likely get a payday from NU athletics down the line.

So, was this hazing as bad as what came out on Saturday? Or, were a couple of players really offended - as I would be?

Or does one player have a really big axe to grind?

And I mean I want to hear from other players who felt victimized or violated. Not just witnesses that this occurred- but actual players saying it happened to them, and at the least they felt uncomfortable.

There’s hazing, and then there’s sexual abuse - and we need more info.
If it is a classic example of upperclassmen hazing younger players, than most of the former players would likely be guilty of doing it to someone else. I'm sure they would at least think twice before going public and attaching that behavior to their resume and future job prospects.

The sources cited by the Daily strike me as irresponsibly thin - particularly in the context of an alleged team-wide statement characterizing the allegations as false, and at least one player going further on a major outlet to say that the accuser had the motive of having Fitz fired.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The sources cited by the Daily strike me as irresponsibly thin - particularly in the context of an alleged team-wide statement characterizing the allegations as false, and at least one player going further on a major outlet to say that the accuser had the motive of having Fitz fired.
How about the source cited by Lou, who said that running players was a well-known practice within the program?

The team statement is totally unsigned. Rittenberg originally reported that it had been orchestrated by former players, though that seems to have been removed.

The motives of the accuser(s) are immaterial if the incidents actually happened. It's annoying to know a little sh*t disgruntled player can cause so much trouble with that being his only goal, but also not without merit if hazing was actually happening and no one was saying or doing anything about it.

How about the source cited by Lou, who said that running players was a well-known practice within the program?

The team statement is totally unsigned. Rittenberg originally reported that it had been orchestrated by former players, though that seems to have been removed.
The report has to be released at
This point. Is everyone who says “running” occurred talking about the same thing? Because the running that is described by the whistleblower is so bizarre and out of bounds. When other sources mention running, is it something different. I have to believe the law firm report would be definitive.

The report has to be released at
This point. Is everyone who says “running” occurred talking about the same thing? Because the running that is described by the whistleblower is so bizarre and out of bounds. When other sources mention running, is it something different. I have to believe the law firm report would be definitive.
I would say everyone experiences masked dry-humping in a darkened locker room in their own unique way.

There’s been precious little original reporting, but it seems to me that what the Daily, Rittenberg, and Lou describe all are basically the same. Do you have different examples where the reports differ?

I doubt the full report will be released. No doubt the executive summary was sanitized and designed to downplay the severity and justify the non-punishment. Releasing the report will make a fool out of everyone.

Reactions: NUCats

Maybe but take a look at all the attacks going on here. Can you imagine what could happen on campus (person still there) to the current player in this era of cancel culture if his name got out?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Maybe but take a look at all the attacks going on here. Can you imagine what could happen on campus (person still there) to the current player in this era of cancel culture if his name got out?
I agree with you, but that goes both ways. I can understand why everyone would want to keep their name hidden and also why many others aren't rushing out to say anything one way or the other. This is a lose-lose situation here.

I must say I really don't agree. Why would his life go into free fall for telling the truth? Sure, it may create controversy and unwanted attention but remaining anonymous creates an element of doubt about what the person is saying. This really applies to everyone involved in this story. Have the courage to stand by your statements.

That would be nice, Corbi, but then get hounded by dipstick strangers with inane questions everywhere you go for God knows how long? I personally am not sure I could handle that. He might eventually make himself known, but I can't blame the guy for staying dark right now.

I would say everyone experiences masked dry-humping in a darkened locker room in their own unique way.

There’s been precious little original reporting, but it seems to me that what the Daily, Rittenberg, and Lou describe all are basically the same. Do you have different examples where the reports differ?

I doubt the full report will be released. No doubt the executive summary was sanitized and designed to downplay the severity and justify the non-punishment. Releasing the report will make a fool out of everyone.
Everyone involved already looks like a fool. If someone is going to make these accusations, there should be specifics (who, what, when , where). The report would have that, assuming it occurred. The details are going to come out
Eventually. Waiting to release the details is inly
Making it worse.

That would be nice, Corbi, but then get hounded by dipstick strangers with inane questions everywhere you go for God knows how long? I personally am not sure I could handle that. He might eventually make himself known, but I can't blame the guy for staying dark right now.
Generally yea and to some extent, but since almost nobody but us geeks cares about NUFB, it's not like Steve Bartman

As if the huge and highly emotional (sarcasm intended) NU fan base would put anyone's life into freefall. It's not in our DNA. We're not Tennessee.

As if the huge and highly emotional (sarcasm intended) NU fan base would put anyone's life into freefall. It's not in our DNA. We're not Tennessee.
I’ll avoid a new thread, but I’ll say it’s nice to see GlideCat back on the boards.

Also: this is my saddest day as a sports fan in my entire life. I’ve only been a fan for 21 years, so the Rashidi Wheeler event may been worse - other than that, none come close to mind.

I wish Pat Fitzgerald and his family all the best, and expect Gragg to be fired next. Again, a sad day.

I’ll avoid a new thread, but I’ll say it’s nice to see GlideCat back on the boards.

Also: this is my saddest day as a sports fan in my entire life. I’ve only been a fan for 21 years, so the Rashidi Wheeler event may been worse - other than that, none come close to mind.

I wish Pat Fitzgerald and his family all the best, and expect Gragg to be fired next. Again, a sad day.
Thank you, Catman. This is an incredibly sad day and I just needed to be around people who are hurting as much as I am.

I thought there was a letter floating around that identified the complainant as Carl Richardson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT