ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with the overturned catch by Vault.

hdhntr1

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2006
That catch was unbelievable. Had it been deemed a completion, we would have had it as the play of the day and maybe of the year and it would have been posted, reposted and would have lived for a long long time as one of the greatest plays (like that Michigan WR catch) . As it is as an incompletion, we will never see it again and that is a real shame because it was spectacular.

That catch was unbelievable. Had it been deemed a completion, we would have had it as the play of the day and maybe of the year and it would have been posted, reposted and would have lived for a long long time as one of the greatest plays (like that Michigan WR catch) . As it is as an incompletion, we will never see it again and that is a real shame because it was spectacular.
OTOH, people could say we won the game because of the momentum and score generated from a questionable TD. We beat Minny and the refs.

Reactions: DrillCat
I agree with Deering. Also after watching the play few times on BTN, I was not so sure if it was a catch. He rolled to the side and the pill appeared to be hitting the ground. And he did not have a possession when this controversy happened. He only secured it after.
But I also did not see a clear enuff evidence to overturn the call from the field.
Zebras will try the same in the Big House. We must dominate to win.
Go Cats!

Reactions: HappyNUyear
I agree with Deering. Also after watching the play few times on BTN, I was not so sure if it was a catch. He rolled to the side and the pill appeared to be hitting the ground. And he did not have a possession when this controversy happened. He only secured it after.
But I also did not see a clear enuff evidence to overturn the call from the field.
Zebras will try the same in the Big House. We must dominate to win.
Go Cats!

The zebras on the field made the call in our favor. The fans booed unmercifully (including me), but the guy in New York (?) made the call to reverse not the field refs. No win situation for the refs on the field.

Kinda like getting angry at a ventriloquist dummy

The zebras on the field made the call in our favor. The fans booed unmercifully (including me), but the guy in New York (?) made the call to reverse not the field refs. No win situation for the refs on the field.

Kinda like getting angry at a ventriloquist dummy
Didn't look like indisputable evidence to overturn the field refs call. Think the review is handled by a re-play ref in the stadium, probably from the Big Ten.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
OTOH, people could say we won the game because of the momentum and score generated from a questionable TD. We beat Minny and the refs.
I am not saying whether the overturn was right or wrong (it was really close and while I don't think there was enough to overturn, I understand it) My comment is that that great play is never seen again but if it had not been overturned, it would have been seen over and over and over all year long. It would have been a top 10 play for the year not just in the BIG.

Does anyone have the video of that catch they could post. I'd like to see it again. From the replay from one angle, it looked like he had possession and it did not touch the ground.

Does anyone have the video of that catch they could post. I'd like to see it again. From the replay from one angle, it looked like he had possession and it did not touch the ground.
Someone posted it on another thread. I could see how it was overturned but it was really, really close and it was a shame that it was overturned.

Here it is--scroll down. From this angle, not a catch. Wouldn't have stood up to scrutiny. Don't think you can argue that he had control before the ball touched the ground.
http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/northwesterns-solomon-vault-has-highlight-reel-td-catch-overturned

I completely disagree. There is absolutely no camera angle that actually shows the ball touching the ground. It looks like his forearm may have still been under it. And the video evidence is supposed to be indisputable - the fact that we can argue about it proves it's not indisputable.

Reactions: lunker35
I completely disagree. There is absolutely no camera angle that actually shows the ball touching the ground. It looks like his forearm may have still been under it. And the video evidence is supposed to be indisputable - the fact that we can argue about it proves it's not indisputable.
From the angle we saw at the game, it appeared indisputable that he caught the ball, but from this angle it is not indisputable, although it sure does appear that the ball touched the ground. It also appeared that he had control of the ball for a fraction of a second before he hit the ground. This one would have always been the great catch with an asterisk.

Almost as interesting are the expressions on the faces of the Minnesota pep squad.

And perhaps it should be Vault that Thorson is throwing the long bombs to, instead of Schuler?

From the angle we saw at the game, it appeared indisputable that he caught the ball, but from this angle it is not indisputable, although it sure does appear that the ball touched the ground. It also appeared that he had control of the ball for a fraction of a second before he hit the ground. This one would have always been the great catch with an asterisk.

Almost as interesting are the expressions on the faces of the Minnesota pep squad.

And perhaps it should be Vault that Thorson is throwing the long bombs to, instead of Schuler?
The ball is allowed to touch the ground, it's even allowed to move when it touches the ground.

From the angle we saw at the game, it appeared indisputable that he caught the ball, but from this angle it is not indisputable

It has to be indisputable (that is, 100% certain that he DIDN'T catch it) to overturn the call on the field of a touchdown. It seems that you thusly agree it should not have been overturned.

Reactions: Sheffielder
It has to be indisputable (that is, 100% certain that he DIDN'T catch it) to overturn the call on the field of a touchdown. It seems that you thusly agree it should not have been overturned.
It's interesting that the ref didn't use the normal review verbiage (confirmed, stands, overturned, etc.). He just said "The ruling is an incomplete pass" and called it a day.

It's interesting that the ref didn't use the normal review verbiage (confirmed, stands, overturned, etc.). He just said "The ruling is an incomplete pass" and called it a day.
He was ticked off that the call was overturned.

For every call that's overturned the refs get docked $50 from their pay.

The marketing department has no problems with revisionist history. I'm sure it will be in a highlight tape somewhere

Exactly. There is no angle where you can tell with 100% certainly that it was not a catch. It makes no sense that it was overturned. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Reactions: villox
Exactly. There is no angle where you can tell with 100% certainly that it was not a catch. It makes no sense that it was overturned. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I agree with Lunker. No way that was "incontrovertible" video evidence. Atrocious overturn.

And if the exact same catch were made by OSU, either Michigan team, or Notre Dame, etc. on their home fields would it have been overturned? I don't think so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT