ADVERTISEMENT

"They Kicked Our Ass"

NJCat83588

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
When asked about the Michigan defense, he was pretty succinct, saying 10 of those guys are back and will be a huge challenge for the offense. No mincing words, said just look at the tape and it jumps out at you.

When asked about the Michigan defense, he was pretty succinct, saying 10 of those guys are back and will be a huge challenge for the offense. No mincing words, said just look at the tape and it jumps out at you.
Who said it about what?

Thanks. They were moving the ball a lot better than us but could not put it in the end zone and the muffed punt cost us.

He was specifically answering a question about how the NU offense did against the Michigan D. And he was pretty emphatic when he said nt one but twice "they kicked our ass". Don't hear him swear much in press conferences but he found just the right word for 2014.

He was specifically answering a question about how the NU offense did against the Michigan D. And he was pretty emphatic when he said nt one but twice "they kicked our ass". Don't hear him swear much in press conferences but he found just the right word for 2014.

Almost like he wants to keep a 5-0 football team focused, no?

However, they did not kick our ass in the fourth quarter when McCall finally awakened and got Trevor moving. I believe that is the game when we scored a TD moving like 95+ yards right?

Our last two games against Michigan send chills up my spine when I think of them, and if I'm being honest, I blame the coaches for both losses - any reasonably well-coached team should have beaten the sloppy Michigan teams of 2013 and 2014 or at least gone 1-1. We left wins and bowl eligibility on the table on both occasions. It seems our coaches are more focused this year, but it may be a season too late because Harbaugh has the Michigan engine humming. I think we can win on Saturday, but I admit it's difficult for me to imagine Fitz outcoaching Harbaugh.

Sheff...The fact is that Fitz doesn't have to out coach Hard-Balls. Our players just have to out play theirs. The fact is that Michigan while playing one good team has beaten some lousy teams to, especially Maryland who is a train wreck right now.

Which was why the game plan against UM's D-line/pass rush was stupid (UM's strength against NU's major weakness - the O-line).

Thanks. They were moving the ball a lot better than us but could not put it in the end zone and the muffed punt cost us.

By the end of the game, the 'Cats actually outgained UM - 264 to 256 yds.

UM gained most of their yds on the ground (despite their much maligned O-line) whereas the 'Cats gained most of their yds thru the air (273; had minus yds on the ground due to sacks); the 'Cats also had 10 1st downs compared to 1 for UM.

But most of these yds/1s downs came in the 4th Q.

However, they did not kick our ass in the fourth quarter when McCall finally awakened and got Trevor moving. I believe that is the game when we scored a TD moving like 95+ yards right?

The 95 yd drive unfortunately ended in just a FG.

Beautiful drive (19 plays), but just missed on a TD pass and then the refs totally missed on a holding call (typical) on 2nd and goal.

The TD drive that followed was 74 yds in 14 plays.

Arguably, 2 of the best back-to-back drives engineered by an NU QB in a 4th Q in a comeback attempt.

The 'Cats O-line was getting overwhelmed by UM's front-7 and to top it off the receivers weren't getting open (not that there was much time before the pass rush reached Semian).

But once McCall got out of his stupor and let Siemian use his legs (for the 1st 3 quarters, had thought that Siemian still wasn't healthy enough to run), the O did a 180.

Siemian's legs helped mitigate the pass rush and gave more time for the receivers to get open.

Our last two games against Michigan send chills up my spine when I think of them, and if I'm being honest, I blame the coaches for both losses - any reasonably well-coached team should have beaten the sloppy Michigan teams of 2013 and 2014 or at least gone 1-1. We left wins and bowl eligibility on the table on both occasions. It seems our coaches are more focused this year, but it may be a season too late because Harbaugh has the Michigan engine humming. I think we can win on Saturday, but I admit it's difficult for me to imagine Fitz outcoaching Harbaugh.

Yep, esp. last year's game - totally on the coaches.

Bad enough that they didn't start moving the pocket until the 4th Q (like I stated a no. of times before, McCall has an annoying habit of making adjustments way too slow), but then Fitz stubbornly stuck to his decision to not kick the PAT and go to OT (which was made 5-6 minutes before the end of the quarter) despite the O showing at the end that it could move the ball on UM's D.

If the 'Cats had kicked the PAT and gone to OT and won the game (or if the refs hadn't missed the holding call and the 'Cats had scored a TD in the 1st scoring drive), would have been seen as great comeback led by Siemian, but instead, there are still plenty of bone-heads blaming Siemian for the loss (in particular, pointing to the failed 2 pt attempt despite the UM D seemingly knowing the play the 'Cats were going to run and 2 NU players totally whiffing on a crucial block).

The good news is that the 'Cats' O-line is seemingly better than last season's.

The bad news is that UM's D-line is even better and due to better coaching, so is the secondary.

Also bad is that UM's O-line seems to be better as well (Harbaugh always had a special touch w/ O-lines; see the 49ers O-line which has fallen on hard times since Harbaugh left).

Harbaugh definitely added physicality and toughness to Michigan's lines by having tougher, more physical practices.

The good thing is that the 'Cats have also gotten tougher/more physical up front (partly from players undertaking it upon themselves to push themselves harder in the weight room and conditioning and partly from the O-line being healthier during spring practice and camp).

Even w/ the improved O-line, going to be hard for the 'Cats to run on the UM D (which again, should be strong up the middle).

Hoepfully, the deeper, more physical D-line will be able better able to limit the UM rushing game and put the game in Rudock's arm (Rudock isn't a bad runner, so will have to watch for that as well).

If UM is able to get pressure on the QB like they did last year, might come down to how well Thorson can buy time w/ his legs and how accurate he is passing on the run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT