ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson

The way Minnesota's offense was going at that point, I don't think it would have mattered. I had a strangely comfortable feeling when we went up 10-0, knowing it was going to be extremely difficult for the Gophers to score twice.
Seriously, who are you and what team have you been watching over the last X years? First you say there isn't a team on the schedule we should be worried about. Then you say that a 10 point lead is safe. From watching this team for 15 years, no lead is safe and every team is scary.

Seriously, who are you and what team have you been watching over the last X years? First you say there isn't a team on the schedule we should be worried about. Then you say that a 10 point lead is safe. From watching this team for 15 years, no lead is safe and every team is scary.

I've been watching Northwestern football literally my entire life -- dad played at NU in the late 1970s, missed a grand total of 6 home games lifetime before starting to play high school ball, was at both the Rose Bowl and Citrus Bowl, used to sneak into the trainer's room during halftime of my D-III team's games to check the Cats score, been posting on these forums since high school (sadly), spent three-plus years thinking about Northwestern football literally every waking hour working for the team, and just slightly less than that now that I have a "real job." Trust me, I'm intimately aware of the history of Northwestern football.

That doesn't make it any less impressive what our defense is doing this year and just how obvious it was that the Gophers were having a tough time moving the ball at all last Saturday.

Reactions: chicagocatfan24
I've been watching Northwestern football literally my entire life -- dad played at NU in the late 1970s, missed a grand total of 6 home games lifetime before starting to play high school ball, was at both the Rose Bowl and Citrus Bowl, used to sneak into the trainer's room during halftime of my D-III team's games to check the Cats score, been posting on these forums since high school (sadly), spent three-plus years thinking about Northwestern football literally every waking hour working for the team, and just slightly less than that now that I have a "real job." Trust me, I'm intimately aware of the history of Northwestern football.

That doesn't make it any less impressive what our defense is doing this year and just how obvious it was that the Gophers were having a tough time moving he ball at all last Saturday.

Couldn't have said it better. This team is different than Cats teams of the past. They have a cocky swagger and play with a chip on defense. I was only 8 in the Rose Bowl year so I hardly remember it, but this Cats team is by far and away the best team they've put on the field since I've been a fan. If they get up by two scores, it's game over. That's how good this defense is right now.

Some things are true until they aren't true. I know talking on a message board shouldn't effect anything, but why poke the "karma bear."

If by "shouldn't" you mean "in no way, shape, or form has anything to do with anything," then we agree.

Since this thread is about Thorson, I want to say that I see him as an asset this week. That is saying a lot against a very good Michigan defense, but this kid has really impressed me and I know he looked really bad against Duke but when I watch he game, I'm seeing him as an asset that can move our offense. I've got cautious confidence with him now.

Since this thread is about Thorson, I want to say that I see him as an asset this week. That is saying a lot against a very good Michigan defense, but this kid has really impressed me and I know he looked really bad against Duke but when I watch he game, I'm seeing him as an asset that can move our offense. I've got cautious confidence with him now.

Yesterday, you saw him as "rattled" in road games, but today he is an "asset"? Glad to see you have built confidence in about 22 hours! :)

He is on his way. The improvement this kid is showing from week to week is remarkable considering how little game experience he still has at the position. McCall has done a fantastic job bringing him and the whole offense along. I am really excited to see what he does next. I am not one prone to hyperbole, but if this kid stays healthy and we continue to recruit talent around him, we could have a potential NFL 1st round pick and Heisman Trophy candidate on our hands in 2-3 years. My kids got a good laugh when I made this prediction at the dinner table last night but I really think it is possible.
Give him a solid OL for his career and good WRs and I don't think your prediction is so far fetched

All I am saying is that whether it was coverage, the receiver physique or whatever, it was an extremely low percentage pass. If we/CT need that sort of one-handed circus catch to be made with any non-negligible degree of frequency in order to win games were are in deep trouble...folks don't deceive yourselves, that catch, if counted (and it should have) would have been the one in 100(0) occasions where it would't fall incomplete....the other 99(9) is an incomplete pass...which it eventually was.
We did not need the play to win the game. CT threw it the only place he could for a completion and it was a great pass and catch.. And it it had been deemed a catch, it would have made all the highlight reels. That is the shame of it. No one sees it again.

CT played the game in front of him and even without it he went 14/19. He is growing up before our eyes. That catch is not necessary for that but it would put an exclamation point on that development so far. Interesting to see ex coaches (Dinardo, Mason, Wandsted) praising how they are developing him and the coaching and game management of Fitz.

The announcers were stunned as well. Definitely agree with your point since what we saw on TV certainly did not merit the reversal. Glad Thorson went on to make a touchdown on that drive anyway and of course eating up the additional clock to do it probably helped us toward the goal of getting a shut out. Mostly disappointed for Vault's sake and the Wildcats being robbed of a highlight reel play that probably would have been included in the recaps of our win.
It was a FG and the drive took up another 5 minutes of clock taking the wind away from Minny

Last edited:
Give it up. Thorson is 5-0 with essentially the same surrounding cast that went 5-7 last year. The team is much improved across the board but the success we are experiencing is very much a function of having a QB that fits the system we run. No knock on Trevor. He was a good college QB but he was not the ideal QB for McCall's offense.
But with all the injuries last year, CT has a better surrounding cast. CT is developing and he will be winning games for us rather than just managing them as he started out.

Yesterday, you saw him as "rattled" in road games, but today he is an "asset"? Glad to see you have built confidence in about 22 hours! :)
As I told you yesterday, he did get rattled, but I also told you that it seems to me that he is ahead of the growing pains that I thought he needed to get through and that it would be interesting to see how he does at Michigan. Yes, I do see him as an asset against Michigan, even though he was rattled away at Duke. Interpretation is that he moved forward, grew up a bit and gave me hope, as a fan, based on is excellent performance against a good Minny defense.

Check the replay from about 0:34-0:36, when he goes to the ground the ball appears to move in his hands when the nose of the ball hits the ground. I'm not saying that looked like enough to overturn it, but that's what they went with.

As much as we all hated that call, it could've been a blessing in disguised. Minnesota had the wind. Both Kill and Fitz said that the first drive in the 3rd quarter taking 8:47 meant a lot in the game. That play happened with 11:45 left meaning 3:15 was gone. After that we ran 10 more plays and took 5:32 off the clock keeping the ball from Minnesota and still giving us 3 points. Live I would've taken the touchdown, but Minnesota's defense was getting knocked back at the end of the game. Minnesota being tired after an 18 play drive probably had a lot to do with that.
Agree. Still would have liked to see it not overturned as it was highlight reel stuff. But that said, the extra 5 minute off the clock was valuable in itself as it basically ripped the heart out of the MN D.

We did not need the play to win the game. CT threw it the only place he could for a completion and it was a great pass and catch.. And it it had been deemed a catch, it would have made all the highlight reels. That is the shame of it. No one sees it again.
The most important thing about taking shots down field is to put it in a location that the other team can't catch the ball. Giving Vault a chance at making the catch is secondary to that. Vault had a chance... I mean he some people thought he made the catch... including the ref. So it was a good pass.

What lots of teams are dong now is throwing up a 50/50 ball believing that their WR can either out jump and make a play against the DB or can at least keep the DB from catching the ball. This is not good QB play, but is often successful as WRs are often better than the opposing DBs and they can get away with more.

The most important thing about taking shots down field is to put it in a location that the other team can't catch the ball. Giving Vault a chance at making the catch is secondary to that. Vault had a chance... I mean he some people thought he made the catch... including the ref. So it was a good pass.

What lots of teams are dong now is throwing up a 50/50 ball believing that their WR can either out jump and make a play against the DB or can at least keep the DB from catching the ball. This is not good QB play, but is often successful as WRs are often better than the opposing DBs and they can get away with more.
How many catches have we seen that are adjustments by the WR? Not really great throws but the QB gets credit. That was a great throw in the only place it could be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT