ADVERTISEMENT

THT Announces Thursday

Thanks Coral- I think I missed Haywood's post on that, but he's as good of an NU basketball source as anyone, so I believe it. My main point is that the post from this poster was really off base, especially with Lathon.
To be clear, Haywood didn't specifically reference THT. He also stated that these requests of potential recruits occur before they are officially recruited (offered?). So, this may not apply to THT. We may never know what happened to the recruitment of THT, but what I do know is that Miller Kopp can definitely fill it up and brings even more size to the Wing than THT. As much as I'd like to see NU find consistent success in local recruiting, it is not a requirement for program success.

You've seen one tournament ever, and you think I'm deluded? Reality is your program ceiling is not much higher than last season. You got shut out early in both of the top in-state recruitments because going to Northwestern will never be the cool thing to do (it's why you settled for Lathon). No matter how much you hate Champaign and belittle it, it's always attracted more talent.

Underwood has come in and locked up the top talent in the state in less than 7 mo. We're set up for Okoro, Liddell, Miller, and Hall. We won't get all, but we will likely get at least two. You won't get any.

That program that you past by that was in the ditch will pass you by in a couple seasons. Enjoy your short-lived time above us. Maybe you'll even be able to best us one time this season.

AD appears to be a great kid. So good luck to him. But if you put him, Lathon and Gaines in a round robbin one-on-one tournament, he would come in last. His strength, athleticism and offensive skill set just wouldn't hold up. And for those Illini fans out there, this has been my position on AD from day one. I wish him the best, but am certain he has a long way to go. Nobody ever turns down a legit 5 star recruit, regardless of their position. But when AD wanted to again visit NU shortly after Lathon committed, that's exactly what Collins did. There's always room for a true super prospect. Not so much for 5 star names with lesser games.

Good but not great get for the Illini. Most immediate value is the promotional bang they get in the CPS.

GOUNUII

I'm sure there's no shortage of smart, savvy U of I bball fans but the one's that meet that description rarely visit here. (Combes is pretty sharp and there are others)

NU walked away from Ayo months ago so that doesn't rub us the wrong way. THT, for whatever reason, wasn't a fit for NU so best of luck to him. We'll suffer through with a better shooter who has bit more length.

The guy in the last few years who really hurts to see at Illinois is Kipper Nichols who was a fit and wanted to play alongside his pal Pardon. But there was no scholly to offer, just lines on a practice field that needed painting.

Kipper is going to be a great one, but he didn't have four stars so his signing didn't compel the Illini faithful to visit here. That says it all.

I don’t think NU cooled on THT because we didn’t think he would choose us...based on his final three I think we would have had a terrific shot. Drawing an inference from Haywood’s post, I got the sense NU had some specific academic items they asked THT to address (perhaps it was to add a couple more academic classes or take a summer class)...assuming these requests were denied, my guess is that NU ended the recruitment.
I assumed Haywood's comment was in reference to Nojel Eastern and not necessarily to THT. Could be both, could be neither. All speculation, of course, unless he'll name names.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I assumed Haywood's comment was in reference to Nojel Eastern and not necessarily to THT. Could be both, could be neither. All speculation, of course, unless he'll name names.
Hey Houston, good game last night. Got the split in LA, wrap it up at Enron/Minute Maid/whatever its called this season!!!!

You'll have to forgive the interlopers, they really have nothing better to do than to post here; as it will certainly beat following their own team this year. You know, the one that lost 75% of its scoring from an average team and is predicted to finish 12th (12th!) in the conference. If you had to watch Illinois this season, believe me, you would find other things to do as well...

Donnie, those men are cowards.

Kipper reminds me a lot of Lumpkin. He'd have been a perfect addition to this year's team and I think Underwood's system will really work for him. Tough loss.

Good point. The sudden change in our recruitment of THT just never made sense to me. One day we’re in his top 3-4 with multiple visits to campus - the next day we’re not in his top 10-12? Something caused this abrupt change. Was it the fact THT didn’t meet certain academic requirements? Was it the fact we we’re not a Nike school? Lots of speculation.

Hey Houston, good game last night. Got the split in LA, wrap it up at Enron/Minute Maid/whatever its called this season!!!!
That was a heck of a baseball game! Eight home runs, including five in extra innings, was a WS record. Verlander gave up only two hits, but they were both home runs, and he was set to be the losing pitcher until the offense finally found its spark against LA's previously unhittable bullpen.

As you can imagine, work productivity in Houston today is low. First from everyone staying up late watching the game, and then from standing around the water cooler in amazement, talking about what an awesome game it was.

Good point. The sudden change in our recruitment of THT just never made sense to me. One day we’re in his top 3-4 with multiple visits to campus - the next day we’re not in his top 10-12? Something caused this abrupt change. Was it the fact THT didn’t meet certain academic requirements? Was it the fact we we’re not a Nike school? Lots of speculation.
I have no idea about THT, but it does some suspicious.

The relationship, which was long-standing, was with Coach Baldwin.

Bingo. It was almost certainly about Nojel. Which is OK.

I don't care who commits to UofI- we will still win against them! Whether it be Michael Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, ShaqO. Let them come to our new arena and the Cats will still be victorious! I will cheer the Cats to wins Bring it on! And while you are at it, schedule Kentucky, UCLA, STanford, Duke and the rest of them. CC will have our fellas ready to play!

Take it for what it's worth, Deon Thomas is tweeting THT will not be going to Champaign.

For extra credit, check out the AAU soap opera speculation in the replies to the Thomas tweet.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in Ames. Being that I am about 35 minutes from there and my wife went there, I've kind of adopted them as my second team (a VERY distinct second, but second nonetheless). Been fun watching them play football this year...but yeah, I think THT is going to be a nice player so wouldn't mind see him playing for the Cyclones. Think he'd be a good fit there too.

Reactions: NUCat320
Wouldn't mind seeing him in Ames. Being that I am about 35 minutes from there and my wife went there, I've kind of adopted them as my second team (a VERY distinct second, but second nonetheless). Been fun watching them play football this year...but yeah, I think THT is going to be a nice player so wouldn't mind see him playing for the Cyclones. Think he'd be a good fit there too.
ISU is very tough in Hilton Coliseum, one of the great home courts in all of college basketball.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
The Illini loyal have been discussing for a few hours that Bruce Underwood pulled the scholly offer to THT. The offer was pulled, the Illini fans say, because of pressure from Ayo's AAU coach Mac Irvin. Doesn't seem to involve Ayo though. THT left the Mac Irvin coached team and this was payback.

Ya know, maybe we rethink the whole "need to break through and a get a big one from CPS" thing. Collins seems to be doing just fine without CPS recruits.

The Illini loyal have been discussing for a few hours that Bruce Underwood pulled the scholly offer to THT. The offer was pulled, the Illini fans say, because of pressure from Ayo's AAU coach Mac Irvin. Doesn't seem to involve Ayo though. THT left the Mac Irvin coached team and this was payback.

Ya know, maybe we rethink the whole "need to break through and a get a big one from CPS" thing. Collins seems to be doing just fine without CPS recruits.
The AAU system is a cesspool. Has nothing to do with the CPS system. Grownups taking advantage of high school kids to line their pockets. Disgusting.

... Ya know, maybe we rethink the whole "need to break through and a get a big one from CPS" thing.

This recruiting season has me leaning in this direction also.

The misconception is that strong local teams need CPS. Bill Self built the Weber Final Four team with very little help from CPS (Luther Head).

You can easily build a strong program with the rest of the state.

Also, you can probably stay relatively clean if you work CPS, but tread lightly with Simeon and Irvin players.

If I were a coach, my addition to the CPS theory is that I'd tread very lightly with any Simeon player or one associated with the Irvins.

Last edited:

What an ugly situation. Word is that the Ayo camp gave Underwood an ultimatum - THT or me. Horton should be at NU. I feel bad for his mom.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Does anyone really know who's in charge of UofI basketball?

Screen_Shot_2014-02-26_at_1.53.56_PM.png

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT