ADVERTISEMENT

Tired of the McCall Criticism--and so is Fitz

Johns was a huge loss. No coincidence that the offense went downhill after that.

...but the fact that the mere loss of a wide receiver coach can torpedo an entire offense is an awfully damning indictment of the entire offense and everybody else running it, is is not?

Where else has the loss of a position coach sent an entire program into a tailspin? I can't imagine that happening - unless the rest of the offense was on shaky footing in the first place.

It's clear that we just don't have the horses to operate the offense properly. The receivers can't get separation because the opposition plays them tight on the line of scrimmage. Opponents aren't respecting our receivers' 'ability' on go routes because our receivers don't have that ability. Why play quarters and off our receivers when we can't go deep? If we do take shots down the field, the receivers can't catch the ball when it's thrown well, which isn't often, either. Our opponents play tight on our receivers and live with it because there's only a slim chance that we'll be completing passes down the field.

A lack of receiving talent means that we have no short passing game and a nonexistent deep passing game.

As for the zone read and option looks so successful with Colter and Mark, Thorson is fast but he doesn't have the wiggle of Ohio State's Barrett or our former QB, Kain Colter. Thorson has straight line speed and does not have the ball skills that Tennessee's Dobbs has. Thorson has fooled no one with ball fakes.

Thorson is especially adept at scrambling when passing plays break down, but you can't build an offense out of broken plays. (Sometimes it feels like entire drives are predicated on that, though.)

We have developed a nice running game, but it's entirely contingent on winning the line of scrimmage because Long and Jackson are not speed guys. They have good vision, strength, and durability, and they don't turn over the ball. When you win the LOS, these guys are brilliant. With our thin offensive line (thin due to mediocre recruiting and injuries), it's difficult to sustain dominance of the LOS with no passing game and no deception with the option game.

That's why we're one dimensional and I don't quite see how it's McCall's fault. I am laying the blame at the feet of our coaching staff's recruiting strategy. It's been well documented that we have prioritized defense, specifically the defensive backfield (e.g., putting "athletes" like Henry and Igwebuike at safety). We have targeted receiving recruits like Grant Perry and Jehu Chesson, but we don't have anything to sell but playing time. We don't have a downfield passing game, and now we don't have a short passing game. Why would a top receiving prospect come here?

Our coordinator must be beyond frustrated at the talent that he has and the lack of development from the receivers coach. Of course the receivers coach will say the same thing: I don't have the players.

Based on McCall's past success, I feel confident that he hasn't forgotten how to coach. He just isn't going to take risks that are so low percentage that it would put our defense in a much worse situation than a three and out. I hate the three-and-out drive, but it's better than repeated turnovers. I can't imagine how ugly practice is for McCall. He must be depressed.

My question to McCall haters is this: what should we be doing instead? Throw the ball down field? Our receivers can't get separation and can't catch. Run the zone read? Thorson has not been able to sell the fake. More play action? Our receivers still need to get open and our QB still has to execute a good throw. We have not done that well. We have done nothing well and it really is on the players but at the macro level it's on the recruiting.
We need to play defense like our last two opponents. Five man fronts 25 -35% of the time

If we will not sacrifice players' academic standards, how about if we sacrifice coaching standards. Bring in Art Briles as an offensive consultant-I believe he is unemployed at this time

If we will not sacrifice players' academic standards, how about if we sacrifice coaching standards. Bring in Art Briles as an offensive consultant-I believe he is unemployed at this time

No. Baylor makes OSU look like The Vatican Football Club, or Northwestern. Take your pick. :)

The line is awful, the wide-outs un-athletic, and the QB lacks a quick release. That said, the offense cannot try and function as it does.

Count me in the "hell no" column on this one. The one single thing of which I am most proud about this program is its integrity (or perceived integrity). I will root for Fitz and McCall through 0-12 seasons before supporting a hire like Briles to lead us to championships.

The line is awful, the wide-outs un-athletic, and the QB lacks a quick release. That said, the offense cannot try and function as it does.

I don't think Thorson is the problem. At all. He made some throws into very tight windows against ISU.

He's at least showing progress, which can't be said for the OL or WRs.

I agree 100%. I am still convinced McCall is not the problem. McCall has no control over his assistant's and he is handcuffed by two assistants that I don't believe are Division 1 caliber coaches let alone Big Ten caliber coaches.
While I agree with you in general, the play calling and offensive structure in this game was not very good

Springer is a McCall guy.

Cushing is a Fitz guy.

As I stated elsewhere...plenty of blame to go around (but spread it around enough and suddenly it's no one's fault...funny how that works)
Cushing might be OK in some role but he seems to have Peter Pricipaled in the OL role. Springer seemed to have OK resume prior to getting here but sure haven't seen results here.

Why is Springer a McCall guy? Because he coached with him for a few seasons at Bowling Green? It's clear that Fitz hires his coaches and it's clear he is the one who can fire them. Soringer and Cushing still being here is 100% on Fitz.
Probably because when looking for a WR coach he probably suggested him. If he had a negative opinion of him do you think Fitz would have hired him? Now him still being here is on both of them.

Uhm, Siemian was healthy for the Cal and NIU games and apparently was healthy enough to use his legs prior to the 4th Q of the Michigan game (which is apparently, when McC woke up and realized that he had a QB who can use his legs to set up the pass and finally started to move the pocket).

If McC had let Siemian use his legs against Cal and NIU, that would have put more pressure in their defenses.

But regardless, there were those who (inexplicably) placed the blame on those losses on Siemain (as well as the Michigan loss).

Notwithstanding things like this...

https://media.giphy.com/media/aRaKFyUa72Mxy/giphy.gif
I believe TS had a bum ankle from the beginning of that season. He could not move effectively. Finally healed enough for him to be effective by the ND game.

I don't think Thorson is the problem. At all. He made some throws into very tight windows against ISU.

He's at least showing progress, which can't be said for the OL or WRs.
I don't think he's a problem, but with the lack of protection his release doesn't fit what they need. I think he's been markedly improved, he's just not a "quick-hitter" QB that can get the ball to our wideouts with no time.

Fitz really bought into Randy Walker's "we're a family" coaching staff thing. I don't know if there were tears when Greg Colby was not retained, but we all know that Coach Walker would not have let go of Colby, unless Colby would have run afoul of NU policy like supposedly one or two of Walk's people did and they left.

In any case, Pat loves his guys and he touts having the longest-tenured staff as part of the "Wildcat family."
Sometimes you need a divorce

Who gives an F that they weren't Johns fans? Johns leaves and those same WR's look like crap. Meanwhile, IU is breaking offensive records... Well, I guess we are breaking records too, in futility, and being offensive at the same time.
While agree that things have good down hill in passing game since he left, thought he was gone from IU as well.

While agree that things have good down hill in passing game since he left, thought he was gone from IU as well.

No, Johns is still at IU, along with Patton, which means IU has three former Wildcat assistants on the staff, including Wilson.

While I agree with you in general, the play calling and offensive structure in this game was not very good

I disagree. Mick was at least trying some things (moving the pocket, pushing the ball downfield, etc.), but none of it was executed with any kind of consistency. I think that all started upfront, where our OL got generally whipped by undersized (one of their pass rushers who was consistently pressuring Thorson is listed at 5-11 205 and is a former running back) but quick rushers. Looked like a lot of this is due to how soft our sets are, with our OL engaging the DL essentially while backpedaling.

Makes me shudder to think what might happen when we face quick AND fast rushers in the B1G.

I believe TS had a bum ankle from the beginning of that season. He could not move effectively. Finally healed enough for him to be effective by the ND game.

He has fine at the start of the season for the Cal game. He sprained his ankle in the 2nd half of the NIU game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT