ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 highest paid assistants

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, so apologies up front : Are NU's assistant coaching salaries competitive --especially considering Chicagoland's cost of living vs , say, East Lansing?

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, so apologies up front : Are NU's assistant coaching salaries competitive --especially considering Chicagoland's cost of living vs , say, East Lansing?

Must be. Haven't lost an assistant coach to another school in at least 5 years!

It seems to me mad scientist offensive assistants get head coaching jobs more than defensive experts. This glass ceiling could be part of the reason that the list tilts defensive. This could also be totally made up.

(Guys I'm thinking of are Malzahn and Tom Herman and the guy at Baylor whose name I forget.)

Of course, with Lovie and Durkin, the B1G may be flipping the trend.

Depends on what you mean by competitive.

hdhntr1, Thanks for replying. To be more specific, are we competitive with assistant coaching salaries vis-a-vis our B1G West rivals , e.g. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa?

hdhntr1, Thanks for replying. To be more specific, are we competitive with assistant coaching salaries vis-a-vis our B1G West rivals , e.g. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa?

Does it matter anymore? Do you really think that salaries are preventing us from attracting better coaches? Or do you think we're in danger of losing anyone in particular?

I get your point; the question is largely moot -- at this time. But , for future reference, if/when NU needs to fill a coaching position, if the position's compensation disparity is too wide, this may be a factor in a prospective coach's decision.

I get your point; the question is largely moot -- at this time. But , for future reference, if/when NU needs to fill a coaching position, if the position's compensation disparity is too wide, this may be a factor in a prospective coach's decision.

I can honestly see Fitz never going after a coach who would walk away from a Northwestern deal over money. I bet he'd liken that to a recruit doing the "hat dance." Plus, I don't think he's interested in ever having a "rising star" coach pass through Northwestern, out of fear that he might actually leave or another gig. For better or worse, Fitz aspires to be a Jerry Kill/Joe Paterno head man who keeps the same guys around for an entire career. The funny part about this is I bet Phillips would happily fork over the cash for the "right" assistants.

I can honestly see Fitz never going after a coach who would walk away from a Northwestern deal over money. I bet he'd liken that to a recruit doing the "hat dance." Plus, I don't think he's interested in ever having a "rising star" coach pass through Northwestern, out of fear that he might actually leave or another gig. For better or worse, Fitz aspires to be a Jerry Kill/Joe Paterno head man who keeps the same guys around for an entire career. The funny part about this is I bet Phillips would happily fork over the cash for the "right" assistants.
Well, I hope you're not correct in this assessment of Fitz's aspirations and coaching choices....but any further discussion probably served on the Rock.

This is fascinating to read for someone in SEC country. I am not a huge fan of the constant arms race that our conference experiences... Whether it be facilities or assistant coaches, the money and the turnover is just insane. I applaud Butch Jones for having as much continuity as he as, but sounds like compared to NU our turnover rate would be on the high side. On the flip side I applaud him for going and grabbing Bob Shoop and Larry Scott. Both look like big time upgrades to our staff.

*Note: Please do not read as any sort of SEC is 'mightier-than-thou'. I hope UGA Bama and UF lose every game they ever play ever again. Conference perception be damned.

I have to disagree. I think he would gladly accept a rising star that had potential to leave for a promotion. It's management 101 to hire the best you can get. The promotions that others receive when leaving your staff actually enhances your brand.

I have to disagree. I think he would gladly accept a rising star that had potential to leave for a promotion. It's management 101 to hire the best you can get. The promotions that others receive when leaving your staff actually enhances your brand.
So I guess your saying that no rising star is interested in coaching at NU. Why do you think that is?

I don't think we will know that until we actually hire a new coach. Hank and Jerry aren't spring chickens so at some point this will play out.

It wouldn't surprise me that someone like Bates is being groomed as the internal candidate to succeed Doc at DC when he retires someday.

It wouldn't surprise me that someone like Bates is being groomed as the internal candidate to succeed Doc at DC when he retires someday.

I would be surprised if Bates were to slide into the DC spot.

I think for the most part assistant coaches go to a program for the opportunity. Opportunity to work at a specific program, under a specific head coach, exposure, opportunity to build a resume, etc..

They get the huge salaries when the program wants to keep them.

klemman, thanks for stopping in and for the feedback. Good luck against Florida.

Florida? I'm thinking what the heck has Florida got to do with anything? They're not on any schedule in the near future! You're nuts. Then I remembered, "Oh yeah, the NIT." Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT