ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Reasons our Offense is Putrid

GOUNUII

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2004
1. We spent the last decade recruiting OLM without the physical tools to succeed at this level.
2. In some cases, our OLM play as a 12th man on defense. Our opponent’s defense.
3. This all happened on Fitz’ watch. Inexcusable.
4. We don’t have a true #1 or even a #2 WR on the roster unless one of the true freshmen emerges. Skowronek is a quality BIG #3 WR.
5. That too happened on Fitz’ watch. Inexcusable.
6. We don’t have a QB on the roster with both the physical and mental tools to win a BIG game. Only HJ has the physical tools. Only TJ the mental tools. Neither are playing.
7. See ## 3 and 5.
8. We don’t have a big play RB or a SB that is even the mildest of offensive threats.
9. Our kicking of FGs sucks. Cost us big against the Trees and again today. One of several offensive roster reasons we again lost a very winnable game today.
10. Fleck and Minny have outrecruited Fitz and NU by a wide margin on the offensive side of the ball. Inexcusable.

The omission of any reference to McCall was intentional. Nobody could successfully coordinate what we have to work with into a winning offense.

GOUNUII

1. We spent the last decade recruiting OLM without the physical tools to succeed at this level.
2. In some cases, our OLM play as a 12th man on defense. Our opponent’s defense.
4. We don’t have a true #1 or even a #2 WR on the roster unless one of the true freshmen emerges. Skowronek is a quality BIG #3 WR.
6. We don’t have a QB on the roster with both the physical and mental tools to win a BIG game. Only HJ has the physical tools. Only TJ the mental tools. Neither are playing.
7. See ## 3 and 5.
8. We don’t have a big play RB or a SB that is even the mildest of offensive threats.
9. Our kicking of FGs sucks. Cost us big against the Trees and again today. One of several offensive roster reasons we again lost a very winnable game today.
10. Fleck and Minny have outrecruited Fitz and NU by a wide margin on the offensive side of the ball. Inexcusable.

The omission of any reference to McCall was intentional. Nobody could successfully coordinate what we have to work with into a winning offense.

GOUNUII
You didnt get the message, did you?
Hashtagidontcare is what Fitz said.
He should care because he cant refute one thing you said.
Worst part is that he sends the message to his recruits that he doesnt.

There is a reason why bigtime offensive recruits dont come here. Our opponents point to McCall and science.

7. See ## 3 and 5.

GOUNUII

It’s not on McCall to prepare a QB to succeed? Maybe the decision to not go all-in on Hunter was a mistake?

Reactions: mikero3
7. See ## 3 and 5.

GOUNUII
Really, McCall gets a pass??? We are in year 12(maybe 11) of shot offenses and none of the blame is on the OC. Unreal

7. See ## 3 and 5.

GOUNUII
You get like a D in Math because there are only like 7 reasons and three "it's Fitz's fault" which are complaints, not reasons

7. See ## 3 and 5.

GOUNUII

The two-deep on the offensive line.

If I was a high-quality offensive recruit, I’d rather play for Brohm or Frost. With the crappy o-systems and conservative head coach tendencies, I’m going to Iowa, MSU or NU only as a last choice...

Reactions: EvanstonCat
If I was a high-quality offensive recruit, I’d rather play for Brohm or Frost. With the crappy o-systems and conservative head coach tendencies, I’m going to Iowa, MSU or NU only as a last choice...

Yes, because Purdue and Nebraska are playing like offensive juggernauts. LOL.

Yes, because Purdue and Nebraska are playing like offensive juggernauts. LOL.

Wandale Robinson would’ve looked good in purple. I guess selling Oregon and UCF tempo / results makes a difference. LOL.

Wandale Robinson would’ve looked good in purple. I guess selling Oregon and UCF tempo makes a difference. LOL.

Yes he would have. Difference makers make coaches look good. However, I doubt any recruit who watched NU, Nebraska or Purdue today came away thinking that he should go to Purdue or Nebraska instead of NU because those schools have better offensive systems. What I saw today was shit execution from all three offenses. It’s amazing how these supposed offensive gurus struggle to put 10 points on the board when they have to rely on young and Inexperienced QBs, bad OLs and lots of injuries.

Reactions: IGNORE and GOUNUII
7. See ## 3 and 5.

GOUNUII

The problem is that we aren’t asking the offense to be super high powered...we are asking it to not be one of the worst in the entire country. Does Mick take any blame for the recruiting of the QB’s? How about the Stupid QB competition? How about somehow ruining a 5 star recruit? Is he responsible for the talent of anyone on the unit? He opened up his gameplan more with the 3rd stringer than the 1st.
There are plenty of OC’s that could do MORE with the exact talent we have.

The problem is that we aren’t asking the offense to be super high powered...we are asking it to not be one of the worst in the entire country. Does Mick take any blame for the recruiting of the QB’s? How about the Stupid QB competition? How about somehow ruining a 5 star recruit? Is he responsible for the talent of anyone on the unit? He opened up his gameplan more with the 3rd stringer than the 1st.
I don' t know if any potential OC's could do better with our talent; but I doubt if any could do worse!

Well, the 4 of the top 5 recruits NU got in the 2019 play offense. None of them have been able to see the field in any meaningful way despite playing positions that NU has struggled mightily at. In 2020, the top 4 verbals NU has play offense. NU basically just got beat by a true Freshman today. Wonder if it will still be NU doesn’t have the horses in two years when we rank near the bottom the B1G in offensive.

This is exactly what the pollyannas on this board fail to understand, nobody is asking for a great offense, not even a good offense, just not an offense that is possibly the worst in D1 football. If Mike Leach is the offensive coordinator of these exact same players, there is no way it's as bad as it currently is. We all recognize the failure in oline recruiting and lack of explosive playmakers but it should not be near this bad. McCall runs the offense. He has to take a large portion of the responsibility of how bad they are. He is not doing a good job.

Reactions: NUCats and IGNORE
7. See ## 3 and 5.

GOUNUII
Cliff notes; U guys simply speed and depth.. you have a mountain west roster at this time.

Nobody could do less.
McCall hasnt developed one single QB since we left the spread.
He has had mostly 4 or 5 stars and POYs.
Oliver, green, alviti, TS, CT, Marty, Smith, HJ.
For 10 years our average offense is now 125th out of 130.
None of this is new. Fitz is a liar.

Nobody could do less.
I think a change is needed to Turk, but this post is ridiculous.

Reactions: corbi296
This is exactly what the pollyannas on this board fail to understand, nobody is asking for a great offense, not even a good offense, just not an offense that is possibly the worst in D1 football. If Mike Leach is the offensive coordinator of these exact same players, there is no way it's as bad as it currently is. We all recognize the failure in oline recruiting and lack of explosive playmakers but it should not be near this bad. McCall runs the offense. He has to take a large portion of the responsibility of how bad they are. He is not doing a good job.

You’re not serious are you?

Nobody could do less.
The Problem of Fitz has never been addressed. Loyalty isn't necessarily a virtue. Look, it is what it is, he isn't changing. Even when all of the non Pollyanna's and now parents of players are questioning things, and media (Teddy as well), Fitz just says hashtagIcouldcareless.

I think his response did harm to justice. After all of the sweat and sacrifice, I don't think it is fair or right to stand down and hand McCall the game ball again.
WTH is going on around here? Can't keep rewarding inadequacy.

The bottom line is that this season has blown up but we have to have McCall terminated to enhance the progress of recruiting. I seriously doubt that any 'Top" recruit will want to play for such a awful offense, especially after a Friday pounding by OSU on National TV. Other coaches will simply point out how awful we have been on offense. Not good....gotta do something to show we are addressing things. Can't just mail it in and figure out coaching next year. Get Real!

Let's hope no current pledge bails out on us and flips his commitment. We are at risk.

You’re not serious are you?
You're not serious about me being serious are you? You think this offense would be this awful with Mike Leach as the O Coordinator? Listen, i spend a lot of time sticking up for coaches and players when people who have no idea approach me at work and other places and think they have it all figured out. This Bears coach sucks, this NU player sucks etc. But in this case, enough is enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT