ADVERTISEMENT

Top 30 most expensive colleges

hdhntr1

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2006
Dubious list to be on. Of course NU is one at # 18. What is remarkable to me is how close their costs are to each other. The lowest cost of the 30 is just $61,070. while NU at 18 is at $61,640. Most expensive is Harvey Mudd at a little over $64,527 (# 2 is about $63.6K). Like I said, some form of collusion in that all are about the the same price. Notice that Harvard, Yale, Stanford are not on the list but you know they are close in cost.

http://www.shockpedia.com/30-expensive-colleges-america/

It's really not collusion because financial aid is used to price discriminate among target student groups. Tuition rates are always published and easily found, but these sticker prices are not effective prices. Also, higher education is an extremely competitive market, but costs at the elites are so high because it is a very expensive business to run.

Dubious list to be on. Of course NU is one at # 18. What is remarkable to me is how close their costs are to each other. The lowest cost of the 30 is just $61,070. while NU at 18 is at $61,640. Most expensive is Harvey Mudd at a little over $64,527 (# 2 is about $63.6K). Like I said, some form of collusion in that all are about the the same price. Notice that Harvard, Yale, Stanford are not on the list but you know they are close in cost.

Yeah, is it collusion that a Big Mac and a Whopper cost nearly the same?

Again the unintended result of Gov't largesse. Student loans are readily available, universities know this and raise tuition, costs etc They know students will take out a loan , go into debt- the schools simply are not constrained by market forces-they know they have a cash cow in their students

I've probably said this before, but it's on topic so I will again. I wonder what's going to happen to the private universities that are not at the elite academic ranking. There is value to holding a Northwestern Degree over an Illinois State Degree. NU is 61,000 ISU is 23,000 in state. Is an NU degree worth 2.4x as much? I have no idea, but maybe. DePaul is 35,000. Is a DePaul degree worth 1.5x an ISU degree? Don't think so. Columbia College in Chicago is also at 35,000. I think that degree is probably worth less than a ISU degree but you pay much more for it.

Most of those schools are fairly cheap to get into for anyone unless the parents make tons of money. It's a case where the price tag may be high but after you apply discounts and jobs programs, the true cost may be something around $10,000 or less per year. I know Yale itself has an outstanding program where practically nobody can complain about expenses or the financial inability to make it through school because of the level of endowment that they use to support their students.

It's really not collusion because financial aid is used to price discriminate among target student groups. Tuition rates are always published and easily found, but these sticker prices are not effective prices. Also, higher education is an extremely competitive market, but costs at the elites are so high because it is a very expensive business to run.
with the exception of athletic scholarships, NU financial aid is ENTIRELY need based. I assure you, my daughter would have been a "target group" and she was offered a 1000 legacy scholarship only, due to my income.

BTW she graduates from veterinary school in May

Tuition has gotten inflated in part due to the govt. loan program and in part due to the perception that more $$ means better and/or more prestigious.

But the effective cost for many students has gone down as student aid is more generous than ever before (tho, probably hurts the upper-middle class the most).

What is much, much more ridiculous are those for-profit online universities (like the University of Phoenix) charging $14-16k/yr in tuition when they don't have nearly the overhead; but hey, gotta pay for all those hard-selling recruiters, millions in stadium naming rights (where normally, schools get $$ for that) and making the founders multi-millionaires, if not a billionaire (as is the founder of the UoP).

And those diplomas are basically worthless (unless you are already employed and just need a degree to get promoted) w/ a much higher drop-out and loan delinquency rate (making up a huge portion of student loan defaults).

But hey, that's $$ going into private business//hands - so not a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT