ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 (6?) Coaches

re Barnett: "Barnett's overall record doesn't stand out, but you have to consider how bad Northwestern football was before he arrived. From 1972 to 1994, through Barnett's third season there, Northwestern never finished a season with a winning record". This is misleading. In fact, we never won more than 4 games during the darkest of the dark ages, and then only once or twice. Indeed, I think we averaged like 2 wins a year. Maybe less. A typical CFB novice reader might think we were a 3 to 5 win per year team.

I still maintain that the job that Dennis Green did to get us winning ANY games was also pretty huge. We were awful, and there was an enormous chasm between the haves and the have nots. Same was true in hockey, where Montreal dominated and Quebec was sucked. It was a case of the Habs vs the Hab-nots.

re Barnett: "Barnett's overall record doesn't stand out, but you have to consider how bad Northwestern football was before he arrived. From 1972 to 1994, through Barnett's third season there, Northwestern never finished a season with a winning record". This is misleading. In fact, we never won more than 4 games during the darkest of the dark ages, and then only once or twice. Indeed, I think we averaged like 2 wins a year. Maybe less. A typical CFB novice reader might think we were a 3 to 5 win per year team.

I still maintain that the job that Dennis Green did to get us winning ANY games was also pretty huge. We were awful, and there was an enormous chasm between the haves and the have nots. Same was true in hockey, where Montreal dominated and Quebec was sucked. It was a case of the Habs vs the Hab-nots.
Coach Green essentially coached without any administrative support. He was on an island within the university. He not only improved recruiting and preparation, but began necessary changes in the culture at NU. In 1982, he pulled about 10 of us together to start the Gridiron Network, designed to raise money for football projects outside of his budget and to form a pressure group of concerned alumni to address the administration's neglect of football. That was the beginning of real change at NU - though it took years to bear fruit. I will always consider Dennis a godsend for NU at that time - a great guy and a great coach. Yet, what Gary accomplished surpasses everything else. The way he built those back-to-back Big Ten champs and coached them to the top is nothing short of amazing. No matter what you hear from folks, Gary is also a class act and acted honorably. Do not blame him for leaving when he did; there is more to that story than people know - not his fault.

Coach Green essentially coached without any administrative support. He was on an island within the university. He not only improved recruiting and preparation, but began necessary changes in the culture at NU. In 1982, he pulled about 10 of us together to start the Gridiron Network, designed to raise money for football projects outside of his budget and to form a pressure group of concerned alumni to address the administration's neglect of football. That was the beginning of real change at NU - though it took years to bear fruit. I will always consider Dennis a godsend for NU at that time - a great guy and a great coach. Yet, what Gary accomplished surpasses everything else. The way he built those back-to-back Big Ten champs and coached them to the top is nothing short of amazing. No matter what you hear from folks, Gary is also a class act and acted honorably. Do not blame him for leaving when he did; there is more to that story than people know - not his fault.

I agree with you about Coach Green. Class guy. I used to play pick-up basketball with him and some football players at Patten Gym. Just a great guy to be around.

Agree about Green; Without him, there might have never been a Barnett. NU might have retreated to the Ivys (It was being talked about. We even played Princeton once in the 80s). On the other hand, I know Waldorf was a great coach at NU, but Barnett literally pulled off a sports miracle here. 15-1 in the BIg Ten over two years coming out of a 20-year period where we won just 28 Big Ten games TOTAL. I think he has to be number one. The last three years of the Francis Peay era were brutal including some horrific beatings. Year before Gary arrived, we fumbled eight times in an embarrassing 36-7 home loss to RICE.

I agree with you about Coach Green. Class guy. I used to play pick-up basketball with him and some football players at Patten Gym. Just a great guy to be around.
Agree about Coach Green. I taught in the Cherub program the summer after graduating in 1985. I called Coach Green to ask whether he would speak to my sports reporting class. I got right through to him despite not knowing him at all, and he readily agreed. He spent about an hour with the high school kids and was just fantastic. Could not have been nicer or more informative. A great representative of the university.

About Peay...Did he not have some pretty good recruits that played for Barnett though? I seem to remember a number of defensive guys that played very well.

About Peay...Did he not have some pretty good recruits that played for Barnett though? I seem to remember a number of defensive guys that played very well.
There were a few Peay holdovers that were instrumental in 1995. Off the top of my head, I believe they included Rodney Ray, Geoff Shine, Brian Kardos and Rob Johnson. Were Mike Warren and Joe Rieff Peay recruits?

GOUNUII

There were a few Peay holdovers that were instrumental in 1995. Off the top of my head, I believe they included Rodney Ray, Geoff Shine, Brian Kardos and Rob Johnson. Were Mike Warren and Joe Rieff Peay recruits?

GOUNUII
I absolutely loved Shine! That kid made big plays!

I absolutely loved Shine! That kid made big plays!
Kardos and Reiff were Barnett recruits. Ray was changed from a running back to a cornerback by Barnett. Geoff Shein played for Peay; Rob Johnson was a Frosh in '92 so I assume Barnett recruited him. Peay's regime really had almost nothing to do with the '95 success.

Coach Green? I mean go ahead and crown him if you want, but as a coach, I think he was exactly who we thought he was.

Green did some heavy lifting to bring NU back to being able to win 2-3 Big Ten games a year. Barnett should be #1 in my book for his amazing turnaround with very little to show recruits in terms of facilities. He was an amazing coach at both NU and Colorado, IMO.

I would swap Barnett and Fitz on this ESPN list. Having attended NU in the Dark Ages, I really doubted we would ever have the type of success that Barnett, then Walker, and now Fitz have had. We've been fortunate these past 20 years and it all started with the 1995 miracle season under Barnett. Fitz has a chance to top the list but he needs to win a B1G championship first.

Barnett led the greatest NCAA football program turnaround of all time. And he changed the face of D1 football. forever. Suddenly, there were no more excuses. If NU could win, any program could win. For better or for worse, his success created a new era in NCAA program expectations. Coach with the greatest impact in NU history.

Barnett led the greatest NCAA football program turnaround of all time. And he changed the face of D1 football. forever. Suddenly, there were no more excuses. If NU could win, any program could win. For better or for worse, his success created a new era in NCAA program expectations. Coach with the greatest impact in NU history.

Amen brother. After the utter futility of the 80s, what Barnett accomplished was literally a miracle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT