ADVERTISEMENT

Tosan Evbuomwon (Princeton)

I tend to reflexively want to agree with you and this argument (partly because I love relaxing), but if I remember you also advised relaxing about people freaking out about football transfers this year, and I’m starting not to relax when I look at the state of our defensive line, and the transfers we haven’t yet brought it. On the football side, are we allowed to panic yet?

With that said, I tend to agree that we will get a hoops transfer or two that will help.
How many recruited scholarship players are they using? Not PWO or WO granted schollies, but guys offered before arriving on campus. We have lots of unused spots - kinda like MBB has historically operated.

Do we know if NU (or Stanford) offered him originally? Would be admirable if he chose Princeton over a free ride to NU or Stanford but I was thinking maybe PWO? He’s playing a heck of a game tonight again, great first half.

Not sure where Cornell is in that ranking, but what we heard from the coach was that plenty of money is available for players of low-income families but they don't do well with middle-class players.

Students from families making up to $85k don't have to pay a dime to attend Harvard, which is comfortably in the middle class (unless one lives in a high CoL region like the Bay Area).

For students from families making, say $100k, they pay a relatively modest amount.

Cornell doesn't have the resources to fund the cost of attending school like HYP, much less other Ivies like Penn.

Students from families making up to $85k don't have to pay a dime to attend Harvard, which is comfortably in the middle class (unless one lives in a high CoL region like the Bay Area).

For students from families making, say $100k, they pay a relatively modest amount.

Cornell doesn't have the resources to fund the cost of attending school like HYP, much less other Ivies like Penn.
My question was whether we offered him a scholarship when he was an undergrad recruit, for context as to our chances to get him as a transfer now. Given that he's declared for the draft it's probably not as relevant, unless he reverses course.

I did. I get the sense that Braun is also panicking at the depth and talent on the d line. I know he’s
hoping to fix it with the portal, but I’m not sure I’m as optimistic as you are about the likelihood of that happening.
I guess wasting two seasons on the "read and react" experiment has set us back to square one on the recruiting front.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin

While Cornell might not have the endowment of HYP (really, who does?), they are still quite affordable for middle class families. My daughter went there, and her four years, which included a study abroad semester in Australia, cost us less than four years at the University of Pittsburgh would have. She graduated with a total of about $25K in loans, but that is not bad for the education she received.

Looks like Barkley signed on
Just looked at his recruiting profile.

Offers from NU, Akron, Appalachian State, Drake, Buffalo, Drexel, George Mason, Kent State, Saint Bonaventure, Drexel and some other lesser programs.

6'8" 195 lbs in high school...

He's got Martinelli, Hunger and Barnhizer ahead of him... as of now.

Just looked at his recruiting profile.

Offers from NU, Akron, Appalachian State, Drake, Buffalo, Drexel, George Mason, Kent State, Saint Bonaventure, Drexel and some other lesser programs.

6'8" 195 lbs in high school...

He's got Martinelli, Hunger and Barnhizer ahead of him... as of now.
Not sure what you mean by "ahead of him". Hunger is the back-up center. If Barkley proves capable of making Collins' usual 8-man rotation, then Barkley will fill Beran's role as one of the 4.5 wing players along with Berry, BBB, Mart and (we hope) Chase when he's not playing point.

Not sure what you mean by "ahead of him". Hunger is the back-up center. If Barkley proves capable of making Collins' usual 8-man rotation, then Barkley will fill Beran's role as one of the 4.5 wing players along with Berry, BBB, Mart and (we hope) Chase when he's not playing point.
I think Hunger can play the 4. He has a decent jumpshot. Yes he is big, but (hopefully) we have learned that being bigger and stronger than your opponent is usually an advantage, if your guys are decent athletes. If he isnt quick enough defensively, that would really limit his opportunities.

So am I expecting to see Hunger and Nicholson out there together? Not really, but I sure would like to see it in the non-conference. Alternatively, Hunger could play the 4 with any "Verhoeven-like" backup center we can attract.

The whole thing revolves around whether you think Barnhizer is better at the 3 or the 4. I (strongly) prefer Barnhizer at the 3 most of the time. And for me, Martinelli versus Hunger is unresolved.

We know so little about Hunger that it's tough to project. Based on what I've seen, he could certainly play the stretch 4 on offense, but if he's on the floor with MN or another center, then I worry about the defense. Defense should still be our calling card next year. My hope is that the reason he looked so slow in his limited minutes last year is that he was just a freshman adjusting to the college game, not the result of him just being slow. Still, I am not ready to count on him defending 4s in the B1G next year.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Seems like it really depends on who is actually on the team by the fall. At this point, I'd expect Hunger to be the back-up center, sharing minutes with Matt, unless they bring in another center.

I like Brooks, and probably Martinelli, at the 3, which gives Barkley some early opportunities to show up.

Any chance that guys like Gus and Blake stayed and have developed into starters/subs?

Seems like it really depends on who is actually on the team by the fall. At this point, I'd expect Hunger to be the back-up center, sharing minutes with Matt, unless they bring in another center.

I like Brooks, and probably Martinelli, at the 3, which gives Barkley some early opportunities to show up.

Any chance that guys like Gus and Blake stayed and have developed into starters/subs?

I’d be shocked if we didn’t bring in an experienced big to replace Tydus. All this conjecture until the roster is finalized is a waste of time.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
I’d be shocked if we didn’t bring in an experienced big to replace Tydus. All this conjecture until the roster is finalized is a waste of time.
We need a big to back up Big Matt regardless of what happens with Boo and Chase. Agreed the needs elsewhere depend on what happens with them, though I think it’s fairly safe to banter assuming they’ll both return since that’s reasonably likely at this point.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
We need a big to back up Big Matt regardless of what happens with Boo and Chase. Agreed the needs elsewhere depend on what happens with them, though I think it’s fairly safe to banter assuming they’ll both return since that’s reasonably likely at this point.
How about Lars Thiemann out of Cal-Berkeley? Admissions likely won't have an issue. He's 7'1", 260 lbs and shot less than 50%... Played 25 minutes per game for the Bears last year. They won 3 games, lost 29. Grad transfer. German citizen might like Chicago more than Oakland.

Of course he may be the reason they lost 29 games, but he'd accept being a backup, I think, unlike most D1 players in the portal.

How about Lars Thiemann out of Cal-Berkeley? Admissions likely won't have an issue. He's 7'1", 260 lbs and shot less than 50%... Played 25 minutes per game for the Bears last year. They won 3 games, lost 29. Grad transfer. German citizen might like Chicago more than Oakland.

Of course he may be the reason they lost 29 games, but he'd accept being a backup, I think, unlike most D1 players in the portal.
Is this a serious post? Not sure. How much less than 50% did he shoot? Might be like fellow we got from Yale a few years ago? Does he play good d? If yes...I'd say go for it especially if he's a good rebound guy

• Wow
I feel like we're a kid in a candy store, and your mom says you can have only one thing, but you don't get to choose - you might get stuck with yogurt-covered raisins, which some people might like, but there are so many other better items out there.

I am down for whoever but mostly disinterested in the speculation around trying to pick out one particular player from the hundreds and hundreds moving schools across the country. It’s incredibly time consuming as a pure speculation hobby. Once actual offers are outstanding or there is noise, I’m interested.

I am down for whoever but mostly disinterested in the speculation around trying to pick out one particular player from the hundreds and hundreds moving schools across the country. It’s incredibly time consuming as a pure speculation hobby. Once actual offers are outstanding or there is noise, I’m interested.
Thats fine, but of the 1500 guys who are out there, there are an awful lot who aren't going to be transferring to NU because of academics.

I'm focusing on grad transfers from good academic schools. There are about 5-10.

Thats fine, but of the 1500 guys who are out there, there are an awful lot who aren't going to be transferring to NU because of academics.

I'm focusing on grad transfers from good academic schools. There are about 5-10.
That’s good for you, I just don’t find it a good or enjoyable use of my time, personally. Same reason I don’t follow the coaching carousel too closely. Much rather just go about my life and wait a few weeks and see how it all shook out.

Our last couple of transfers came from FDU and UTEP…not a couple of academic powerhouses. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT