ADVERTISEMENT

Trae Young

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
I wish this was a home game because I would love to see Trae Young in person. He is putting up numbers that the advanced stats guys are saying are almost unmatched, especially for a freshman. And for the old school folks, he dropped 26 points and 22 assists last night, tying the NCAA record for assists. Wow.

Wow!! That's an insane line. Question for you and the board who is the best individual player we've faced in the Chris Collins era and how did we do?

I wish this was a home game because I would love to see Trae Young in person. He is putting up numbers that the advanced stats guys are saying are almost unmatched, especially for a freshman. And for the old school folks, he dropped 26 points and 22 assists last night, tying the NCAA record for assists. Wow.
Maybe he'll catch the virus that Vic had before we play them on Friday? I am wondering if this Trae fellow will do against us? Probably pretty good. Maybe we can try to limit him and force the rest of their team to beat us? Young might be a one-and-done frosh that will head to the nba next season? Anybody know how tall he is? I hope he is of the Isiah Thomas/ccavs mold. Maybe we can stick Ash on him the whole game to slow him down? Gosh, I really hope we win this game. We could really use a win vs a legit tourney team to start the rest of the Big Ten slate!

The problem with defending against this kid is that he scores AND he dishes. Another Russ Westbrook player. It's going to be interesting to see what Collins and the braintrust cooks up to try to stop Young.

The problem with defending against this kid is that he scores AND he dishes. Another Russ Westbrook player. It's going to be interesting to see what Collins and the braintrust cooks up to try to stop Young.
Yes. He had a 43 and 7 game against Oregon and 29 and 10 against Wichita State. Those are crazy college numbers. And he shoots nearly 10 3s a game so we can't sag off him either. He is extremely effective and efficient with the ball.

yeah agreed looking forward to watching him on TV. averaging 28.5 ppg and 10.2 apg which are just absurd numbers in college 40 minute game.

I really hope Vic is healthy, he is by far our best perimeter defender. and with his combination of quick feet and length (Trae is only 6'2") he is our best hope at frustrating him and taking away space. BMac would be in big trouble, and I fear Scottie would get in foul trouble quickly. if Vic isn't healthy, we may see a lot of minutes from Jordan Ash... though not sure he has enough length to consistently challenge Trae's shot.

should be an interesting game regardless.

yeah agreed looking forward to watching him on TV. averaging 28.5 ppg and 10.2 apg which are just absurd numbers in college 40 minute game.

I really hope Vic is healthy, he is by far our best perimeter defender. and with his combination of quick feet and length (Trae is only 6'2") he is our best hope at frustrating him and taking away space. BMac would be in big trouble, and I fear Scottie would get in foul trouble quickly. if Vic isn't healthy, we may see a lot of minutes from Jordan Ash... though not sure he has enough length to consistently challenge Trae's shot.

Keep driving at him and get him out of the game one way or another.

Reactions: ricko654321

Gaines would be another good candidate to put on Young, though he gives up a lot on offense. Hopefully Vic will be ready to go. We probably can't win unless Mac recaptures last year's magic and goes for 20 or more. But I think if Vic plays, we'll have a decent chance.

I don’t care if Ash scores two points, as long as he holds Young to 15, we win!

Anyone (besides Wrassler) believe we see Gaines instead of Ash if Law doesn't play? Ash appeared to go back into his offensive shell last game,somehow managing to go scoreless in 24 minutes vs. a D-II team

Anyone (besides Wrassler) believe we see Gaines instead of Ash if Law doesn't play? Ash appeared to go back into his offensive shell last game,somehow managing to go scoreless in 24 minutes vs. a D-II team
I would go with Ash personally, I don't think Gaines is quick enough on the perimeter, he seems better suited to defending a stronger bullish type stud guard. But we'll see... I hope Vic is healthy and I hope his leg quickness is at or close to 100%. And maybe if we get behind Ash isn't the best option to try to drive a comeback in this matchup, I dunno.

I would go with Ash personally, I don't think Gaines is quick enough on the perimeter, he seems better suited to defending a stronger bullish type stud guard. But we'll see... I hope Vic is healthy and I hope his leg quickness is at or close to 100%. And maybe if we get behind Ash isn't the best option to try to drive a comeback in this matchup, I dunno.

Just seems to me that Gaines might offer the best combination of offense and defense...

Let's face it, it won't really matter who we put on Young. No one has been able to stop him this year. No one. We can only hope to limit the damage and hope his teammates have an off night.

Reactions: Dugan15
Our three best players, all of whom I think the world of:

Bryant McIntosh - 2pt FG% - 42/98 = 42.9%
Scottie Lindsey - 2 pt FG% - 35/68 = 51.5%
Vic Law - 2pt FG% - 30/58 = 51.7%
Trae Young - 2ptFG% - 51/88 = 58.0%.

When Ash went toe to toe with Mac in the scrimmage, he went even with him on almost everything! Ash can shut down any three point sharpshooting guard. It is hard for anyone, including Ash, to stop those 6-8 Falzon guys who get hot. But the biggies get tired! Ash is in superior condition! Folks on here called for Ash to ride the pine this year, yet Jordan has two starts in the last few weeks. Ash is even better than Law on defense, which is saying something! Law is easily our best player and top five player in BT! Ash doesn’t have the pure release of Mac or Law,or Scottie or even Skelly! I’d have all four of those guys, take a three before Ash! But guys like Skelly and Scottie continually get burned on defense! Ash is almost always in position! We can’t afford not to have him out there. Just watch the Georgia Tech game that Ash had won for us, until Falzon let the guard run right by him! Brown would have been in position! We need more speed,more Brown and Ash!

I mean if we are going to cherry pick a single stat to compare, his PER (~38) is just insane. Granted it's buoyed partly by a Russ Westbrook level usage rate (35%), but still just incredible. He definitely looks like the best offensive player in all of college bball. Shades of a young Steph Curry. Still has some work to do on defense (let's attack him there!). But very curious to see how Vic (or Ash, others) hold up against him.

Reactions: Dugan15
Wow!! That's an insane line. Question for you and the board who is the best individual player we've faced in the Chris Collins era and how did we do?
We played Wisconsin during Frank Kaminsky's senior year when he was national player of the year, and Denzel Valentine during his senior year when he was national player of the year, but I don't think either are in the same class as what Trae Young is currently doing. Against the 4 NCAA-level teams he's played, he's averaged 32.2 pts and 7.8 assists, shot 11 FTs per game at an 89% clip, and shoots as many 3s as 2s from anywhere on the court. Per Kenpom, his player comps are Kyrie Irving and D'Angelo Russell. If you remember the OSU game like I do, Russell did whatever he wanted on the way to 33 points, 7 boards and 6 assists in a 2-point Buckeye win marred by a missed goaltending call. We're in for a massive test.

We played Wisconsin during Frank Kaminsky's senior year when he was national player of the year, and Denzel Valentine during his senior year when he was national player of the year, but I don't think either are in the same class as what Trae Young is currently doing. Against the 4 NCAA-level teams he's played, he's averaged 32.2 pts and 7.8 assists, shot 11 FTs per game at an 89% clip, and shoots as many 3s as 2s from anywhere on the court. Per Kenpom, his player comps are Kyrie Irving and D'Angelo Russell. If you remember the OSU game like I do, Russell did whatever he wanted on the way to 33 points, 7 boards and 6 assists in a 2-point Buckeye win marred by a missed goaltending call. We're in for a massive test.
But Trae hasn't met Jordan Ash yet!!

If I could have my wish (and if things were easier done than said) we wouldn't foul him. He's likely to stuff the stat sheet despite fouls, and to some extent despite good defense. I'd just as soon it happen without death by attrition on our part. Make somebody else on their team have to play well, too.

But Trae hasn't met Jordan Ash yet!!
I'd say Trae is a more developed player than Kyrie Irving was at this stage in his career. Though obviously Kyrie has skyrocketed since then. Steph Curry in college might be a decent comparison, though he's another guy who saw insane improvement after he hit the NBA.

Overall I think he's a better offensive player than anyone I can remember us going up against recently, but probably not the best all-around player.

Also, from watching some of the Nwestern St highlights, I think he's a bit of a stats / records hunter... he was passing up obvious shots to try to get more assists (hence the 22) and controlling the offense himself long after the game was decided and NW St was not giving it a full 100%. Rondo or Westbrook like perhaps. Doesn't mean he's not an incredible talent as well though.

Here's a deadspin write up that compares him, in some way, to:
Kyrie Irving
Steph Curry
Lonzo Ball
Russell Westbrook
Which doesn't belong in the list?

Lonzo Ball.

Dude will never be what the other three have become. Just can't shoot at the NBA level.

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT