ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor's got a chance to be a really good player

How much do the politics of being a first round draft choice play into humbling him a little on the one hand by giving Trevor the Ones and actually allowing a less ballyhooed QB like Trevor beat him out in the long run? It's a serious question because if you don't play your Number one pick, it was a wasted decision made by management.

There was not a doubt in my mind that the Broncos would take a qb in the draft! You can't win a SB and lose a hall of fame QB, plus a sure fire starter and then not pick a QB in the draft. The public would revolt against you if Sanchez and Trevor didn't work out. If Trevor improves as much as he did last year, I say he beats out Sanchez.

There was not a doubt in my mind that the Broncos would take a qb in the draft! You can't win a SB and lose a hall of fame QB, plus a sure fire starter and then not pick a QB in the draft. The public would revolt against you if Sanchez and Trevor didn't work out. If Trevor improves as much as he did last year, I say he beats out Sanchez.
Well I know that Sanchez is not a fan of being knocked down. It gets his jersey dirty. "Dirty Sanchez"

If he's the best this season he'll play. If he and Paxton are close in 2017, you'd think that Trevor would get moved as there might be pressure from the front office and the fan base to play the high draft pick. Just my thoughts.

If he's the best this season he'll play. If he and Paxton are close in 2017, you'd think that Trevor would get moved as there might be pressure from the front office and the fan base to play the high draft pick. Just my thoughts.

On the flip side, Elway has earned himself a whole lot of clout with that fanbase and they will probably trust his call (especially at QB).

At the end of the day, would love to see Trevor force the Broncos to make that kind of decision.

Some more on Siemian...

“We have competition throughout our football team, so obviously everybody is starting from scratch right there with Mark and [QB] Trevor [Siemian]. Trevor did a great job today. I’m very impressed with how far he’s come. It will be very competitive for all of them. Reps-wise, we’ll probably be right down the middle with all of them.”

We all know the future of this team is Paxton Lynch — it’s why the team invested a first round pick in him. Does that mean he has to start as a rookie? As you all know, I’m an advocate for it, but it’s not a requirement. Lynch’s development isn’t contingent upon getting out on the field immediately as a rookie. The Broncos want to play the best player at the position, so what if it’s Siemian?

“Not many guys are asking about him, but I’m really excited about Trevor. He’s got a chance to be a really good player. He knows exactly what he’s doing. He basically took the first group today. With what you guys got to see, he’s practiced very well. I think Trevor has a lot of confidence in himself right now.”

And he should have confidence in himself. He’s got the most experience with this coaching staff. He’s got the most experience in this offense. He’s got the most experience with this team around him. Look at these strong words from head coach Gary Kubiak:

“I think Trevor has a maturity to him. He’s kind of the sleeper I would say. Of course Mark and Paxton are going to be the headlines, but Trevor knows the offense. He’s very comfortable and can throw the ball, too. We’ve also seen him make big plays in the preseason games under the lights. I wouldn’t sleep on Trevor to win the job either.”

http://predominantlyorange.com/2016/05/24/denver-broncos-excited-about-trevor-siemians-development/

And this...

4. FIRST UP IN THE TEAM PERIOD: TREVOR SIEMIAN

When practice ended, Kubiak clearly wanted to talk about the second-year quarterback.

"That's a great question," Kubiak said when asked about Siemian's progress from last year to now.

"Not many guys are asking about him, but I'm really excited about Trevor. He's got a chance to be a really good player. He knows exactly what he's doing."

His teammates can see it.

"He has maturity to him," said cornerback Chris Harris Jr. "He's kind of the sleeper, I would say. Of course Mark and Paxton are going to be the headliners, but Trevor, he knows the offense, and he's very comfortable and he can throw the ball, too -- and we've also seen him make big plays in the preseason games under the lights.

"I wouldn't sleep on Trevor winning the job, either.

His footwork was more consistent. He didn't try to force the football into traffic; he comfortably took the checkdown when it was there and moved on to the next play. He also looked comfortable on the playaction bootleg, twice executing it successfully.

"I'm light years ahead of where I was last year," Siemian said. "I've still got a lot of work to do, but I feel pretty confident."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...and-more/742d754b-d0f9-4302-b41a-d980c862d6cf

Siemian has all the physical tools.

The ? as to beating Sanchez for the starting spot (on the assumption that Lynch is not yet ready and the Broncos hierarchy want to be careful in handling their prized rookie) will be whether Siemian can be the better decision maker against NFL defenses.

Ideally, Siemian is probably another half or whole season of getting reps against NFL players to really be ready as young QBs go, but won't have that luxury with Lynch on the sidelines.

Things being roughly equal, Lynch will get the nod and Elway/Kubiak will give every opportunity to their 1st round pick to take over the starting job (whether that be later this season or not until the next).

Siemian's best hope is to get some playing time during the regular season and do well enough to pique the interest of teams in need of a starting QB.

Even then, the Broncos will likely hold onto Siemian until towards the end of his rookie contract and then trade him for a pick (which would more than recoup their investment of a 7th round pick).

What's hilarious is that there is an ardent Siemian fan-base among Broncos fans who counter the detractors who dismiss the notion of a 7th round pick being anything more than a scrub and on his way out of the league.

I don't get how Lynch is automatically supposed to step in and win the job. I understand that the Broncos wish that scenario would play out, but the scrap heap is filled with even more highly-touted first rounders who never made it. Trevor has a good chance to win the job with the chance he has now. It sure sounds like Kubiak will give Trevor a fair chance to win the job, and that is all that he can ask for.

I don't get how Lynch is automatically supposed to step in and win the job. I understand that the Broncos wish that scenario would play out, but the scrap heap is filled with even more highly-touted first rounders who never made it. Trevor has a good chance to win the job with the chance he has now. It sure sounds like Kubiak will give Trevor a fair chance to win the job, and that is all that he can ask for.

Lynch was pretty universally regarded as a long-term project in NFL circles, not unlike Osweiler. He's got a pretty high ceiling, but also a pretty high "bust factor."

You should be mindful that Gary Kubiak came to the Broncos (the first time) the same year as Elway did. The two of them remained 1-2 for Kubiak's entire career with Kubiak a very reliable back-up. And Elway was VERY rough as a rookie starter.

So Kubiak is not going to start Lynch this year unless things go downhill fast and they chalk it up to experience. Given he has more experience in the offense, I think Trevor has an opportunity to start but they'll likely go with Sanchez's experience.

I'd love to see Trevor excel and become the next Tom Brady. But more likely he's the next Gary Kubiak.

You should be mindful that Gary Kubiak came to the Broncos (the first time) the same year as Elway did. The two of them remained 1-2 for Kubiak's entire career with Kubiak a very reliable back-up. And Elway was VERY rough as a rookie starter.

So Kubiak is not going to start Lynch this year unless things go downhill fast and they chalk it up to experience. Given he has more experience in the offense, I think Trevor has an opportunity to start but they'll likely go with Sanchez's experience.

I'd love to see Trevor excel and become the next Tom Brady. But more likely he's the next Gary Kubiak.

Being the next Gary Kubiak is pretty good for your bank balance and career prospects.

Reactions: Overly_Invested_Cat
The best argument for Lynch to play this season is that, frankly, there's not a good NFL quarterback for him to learn from. (No statement on Trevor, just that he doesn't have the experience to share. And Sanchez is bad.)

Well I'm going out on the limb and say Trevor will win the starting job.

True - there have been more 1st round QB busts than those who became established starters, but from all accounts, aside from the usual getting to learn the playbook and get used to the speed of the pro game, seems like Lynch is showing promise.

But then again, so is Siemian and he seems pretty comfortable with the playbook in his 2nd season.

The Broncos may very well be in the situation that the Chargers were in when they had Brees and Rivers - have 2 starting caliber QBs.

The best argument for Lynch to play this season is that, frankly, there's not a good NFL quarterback for him to learn from. (No statement on Trevor, just that he doesn't have the experience to share. And Sanchez is bad.)

Oh really?

Kubiak acknowledged that Trevor Siemian was ahead of Sanchez and rookie Paxton Lynch in the mental size of the work given Siemian's year of experience in the system, but that Sanchez was "catching up very quickly."

That puts Siemian in the unusual spot of being the quarterback providing guidance, despite having never thrown a regular-season pass as a pro. Lynch said he takes as much from Siemian as he does from Sanchez.

If solely based on what the QBs are showing on the field, don't think it's going that far out on the limb.

By rotating Sanchez, Lynch and Siemian, he is allowing members of the Broncos’ defense to decide which quarterback is best. Yes, the ultimate choice belongs to Kubiak. But, in some measure, he also has turned this quarterback competition into a reality show, with cornerback Aqib Talib and all the other big personalities on Denver’s for-the-ages defense serving as judges.

Ball don’t lie. Who is the real deal on the field? Players know. They see it, sense it and accept it, often quicker than coaches and front-office executives who review video of practice.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/3...-will-let-top-ranked-denver-defense-be-judge/

From Tuesday's OTAs.

Siemian made the most “wow” plays of the quarterbacks, showing off his arm strength throughout the team sessions by firing accurate passes on tightropes. He got himself into a little trouble when his feet got stagnant in the pocket when facing pressure. In a true competition, Siemian said he can win.

“You’ve just got to be consistent, follow your keys and follow your feet,” Siemian said. “We’ve got a lot of competition. … It’s fun.”

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/3...able-with-broncos-competition-at-quarterback/

Siemian has been extremely accurate so far during OTAs. The tip-drill interception he threw late Tuesday that was deflected from Phil Taylor to Darius Kilgo at the line of scrimmage was his first so far in the seven-on-seven or team periods of OTAs.

Siemian did a good job of leading rookie TE Henry Krieger-Coble and Juwan Thompson on passes outside and near the sideline; he placed the football outside where only his intended targets could catch it.

He also looked very composed running the no-huddle offense late in practice, which was a direct manifestation of his improvement at communication with teammates.

"I think last year, my first year in, you’re swimming a little bit and you’re just trying to figure out what am I doing," Siemian said. "Being able to communicate with other guys and look at route depths or what they sell in coverage, going back and forth with those guys is probably one of the bigger differences."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...ms--more/f349bb6e-ea7a-4f5e-8822-93afa8cd4dbb

And here's an older article from our good friend Teddy and the Trib.

How did Trevor Siemian go from Big Ten's 11th-rated QB to Broncos' No. 2?
When Trevor Siemian tore his ACL last November, I thought: Man, tough end to a football career, but at least he’ll always have Notre Dame.

One week earlier, Siemian had one of those brag-to-your-grandkids performances, completing 30 of 48 passes for 284 yards in Northwestern’s shocking victory in South Bend.

But as he crutched to the team bus at Purdue on Nov. 22, 2014, a slow guy with a bum knee, the fifth-year senior seemed destined for the real world -- an office job.

Most observers were shocked that Siemian got drafted considering he was the 11th-rated quarterback in the Big Ten last season, behind even Michigan’s Devin Gardner, who threw 15 picks.

But the 6-foot-3, 220-pound Siemian played with a foot/ankle issue, got minimal protection from a so-so offensive line and his receivers were mainly either slow or unreliable.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-trevor-siemian-broncos-bears-20151117-column.html

Does Teddy really get his stuff from what's posted here?

Never understood those who wrote of Siemian and based him just on Ws and Ls and didn't take into account the talent around him, much less his injury (both seasons) - and an OC who didn't make the most of Siemian's talents.

Last edited:
It does seem like they are really grooming him and giving him a chance to stick. I don't think later round QBs usually get so much good support from the leadership.

True - there have been more 1st round QB busts than those who became established starters, but from all accounts, aside from the usual getting to learn the playbook and get used to the speed of the pro game, seems like Lynch is showing promise.

But then again, so is Siemian and he seems pretty comfortable with the playbook in his 2nd season.

The Broncos may very well be in the situation that the Chargers were in when they had Brees and Rivers - have 2 starting caliber QBs.

Oh really?

If solely based on what the QBs are showing on the field, don't think it's going that far out on the limb.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/3...-will-let-top-ranked-denver-defense-be-judge/

From Tuesday's OTAs.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/3...able-with-broncos-competition-at-quarterback/

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...ms--more/f349bb6e-ea7a-4f5e-8822-93afa8cd4dbb

And here's an older article from our good friend Teddy and the Trib.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-trevor-siemian-broncos-bears-20151117-column.html

Does Teddy really get his stuff from what's posted here?

Never understood those who wrote of Siemian and based him just on Ws and Ls and didn't take into account the talent around him, much less his injury (both seasons) - and an OC who didn't make the most of Siemian's talents.
I hope Trevor earns the job, but jobs aren't won in June, of course, and jobs aren't won based on post-practice interviews.

If there were odds on this type of thing, the veteran would be the favorite for the opening day job, the rookie would be a narrow underdog, and the unheralded seventh-rounder would be a long shot. That doesn't mean he won't get the job.

Also, I'm confident, K'tonic, that you'll give us the blow-by-blow, which is definitely the most important thing. Thanks in advance for your services.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT