ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor's situation.

mybrotha

Jul 21, 2011
I've given this a bit of thought and I'm inclined to believe that he may actually be in a decent spot right now. I believe that the Broncos, following the SB win, with no real NFL name at QB, felt the need to assuage their fans discontent at the QB situation by drafting one in the first round. Pretty easy motive to figure out even if they DO like Trevor at QB. At last check Kubiak very much liked Trevor and what he had accomplished there. Now a year healthier what would change? The pre-season will of course loom large for him, but to beat out Sanchez will not take much at all if he plays like last summer. As for Lynch, if he does not do well in camp, all eyes in the court of public opinion will then say "See we told you, start Trevor." Being a GM is tough and I think Elway kind of did what he had to in this spot. Let's all hope the TS emerges as the leader after the pre-season.

Reactions: rmndcat
I've given this a bit of thought and I'm inclined to believe that he may actually be in a decent spot right now. I believe that the Broncos, following the SB win, with no real NFL name at QB, felt the need to assuage their fans discontent at the QB situation by drafting one in the first round. Pretty easy motive to figure out even if they DO like Trevor at QB. At last check Kubiak very much liked Trevor and what he had accomplished there. Now a year healthier what would change? The pre-season will of course loom large for him, but to beat out Sanchez will not take much at all if he plays like last summer. As for Lynch, if he does not do well in camp, all eyes in the court of public opinion will then say "See we told you, start Trevor." Being a GM is tough and I think Elway kind of did what he had to in this spot. Let's all hope the TS emerges as the leader after the pre-season.

Denver is in a tough spot, but I really like what the Broncos did. They matched the offer that C.J. Anderson received from Miami and then they drafted Devontae Booker. Denver is signaling to the league that it will run the damn ball. Sanchez will be asked to manage the game with a bevy of offensive weapons.

Lynch has the height and the arm, but he did not take snaps under center in college. He also scored pitifully on the Wonderlic. Some scouts chimed in that he seems to have a loopy personality.

I would say that we stand a good chance of seeing Trevor play this season, unless the Broncos trade for a Josh McCown or another experienced backup. That would make it tough for Trevor to make the team at all.

He's got to have the off-season of his life this year or he may not make the team. I have hope that he'll catch on as QB2 and step in if/when Sanchez falters.

I really can't imagine a scenario where Trevor makes the team even. You don't cut a #1 draft pick and they traded for Sanchez to play. Unless Denver decides to keep 3 QBs - which more and more teams aren't doing anymore, he's the odd man out. I guess he could stay on the practice squad since he hasn't been on it yet?

I really can't imagine a scenario where Trevor makes the team even. You don't cut a #1 draft pick and they traded for Sanchez to play. Unless Denver decides to keep 3 QBs - which more and more teams aren't doing anymore, he's the odd man out. I guess he could stay on the practice squad since he hasn't been on it yet?
Yep, you carry 2 QBs and have a 3rd on the practice squad. The guy you send to the practice squad essentially has to clear waivers. Someone would take Lynch. You also can't send Sanchez down by rule as he's played in too many games. He'd have to be straight up cut. As such, Trevor is the implied man out at this point. The best hope is that he puts a good show on in the preseason where someone thinks he could be a backup.

The most likely and best situation for TS is that Denver doesn't play him at all in the preseason. He will easily clear waivers and spend all season on the practice squad. If you don't hear much about him and don't see him much or any during the preseason- this is good news for him.

Assuming Denver does indeed want to continue grooming him to be their future back up cheap QB this is how they will hide him from being snatched up. The Broncos simply do not have enough reps to split in bringing a future franchise QB up to speed while the "place holder" vet also installs the offense.

Wouldn't a better situation be that he plays so well that Denver can't hide him and he is either forced into fencers 52 man or another team picks him up?

Wouldn't a better situation be that he plays so well that Denver can't hide him and he is either forced into fencers 52 man or another team picks him up?
Better for him not for Denver. OTOH practice squad QB is a good gig compared to many other jobs and if he did eventually work his way up to being number two, there is a pretty good paycheck at that time.
Some of this depends on how much better he can become being a practice QB. Injury shouldn't be a problem and he may grow stronger and more accurate. He may also get slower over time. Kind of depends what kind of a gym rat he can be and for how long.

How about outplaying Sanchez. And Sanchez gets cut. He won't get picked up

FWIW, Denver carried three quarterbacks last year.

I believe most NFL teams carry 3 QBs, as an insurance policy against injury if nothing else.
I think most teams carry 2 in the roster and try to hide 1 on the practice squad and hope another team doesn't try to claim him. Each of the last two years the Bears had to elevate their #3 to the roster because another team put a claim on David fales. I think Denver carried three because as the c said Peyton mannings health (and performance) concerns.

How about outplaying Sanchez. And Sanchez gets cut. He won't get picked up
+1 this is what I have been saying. Sanchez is not good and Trevor played very well in the pre-season last year. This year he should be even healthier and knows the system better.

Denver has two objectives at this point with QB: install the offense via Sanchez and bring Lynch up to speed. There is no serious consideration for TS except to run the 3rd string offense in camp. He isn't going to take meaningful snaps in camp much more the actual preseason games. The roster composition makes it less likely they carry 3QBs this year and if anything another vet may be brought in Post-June roster cuts.

Trevor's best chance for success in the NFL is remaining associated with the Broncos any way possible. Stability in Denver, even on the practice squad, is preferred to bouncing around with other losing organizations for a few years until he's completely out of the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT