ADVERTISEMENT

Trib on Cormac

JournCat

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2009
"In what might qualify as irony given NU's decades of futility, Ryan said his son was attracted to Stanford, which has missed the NCAA tournament three straight seasons, because Cormac 'is interested in being on the ground floor, building up from scratch. There are risks and it could go really badly, but he's OK with that. He wants a really big opportunity. At the end of the day if it does go badly, he will have gone to Stanford. And that's not the worst thing can say about a person.'"

Northwestern: No longer enough of a rebuilding job?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rn-basketball-greenstein-20170605-column.html

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
1) Do we know why Teddy is so interested in this particular recruit's process (besides potentially trying to cover for his misfire in the earlier article)?

2) Once again, it's extremely difficult to fault a kid for picking Stanford. They've got a still relatively new coach who had some pretty good success at UAB plus, as Mike Ryan indicates in the article, a Stanford degree is a pretty nice thing to fall back on if the rebuild doesn't go according to plan.

All about TG covering his ass. Why else would you write a story about a kid from New York who goes to HS in Massachusetts and is going to play for a 14-17 Pac 12 school located in California? Other then the 20 people who follow NU recruiting who are disappointed because a really good player choose another school, this would have been a complete non-story until TG made it seem like the biggest recruiting story - and recruiting loss for NU - in the last decade based on a "source".

Reactions: NU Houston
"In what might qualify as irony given NU's decades of futility, Ryan said his son was attracted to Stanford, which has missed the NCAA tournament three straight seasons, because Cormac 'is interested in being on the ground floor, building up from scratch. There are risks and it could go really badly, but he's OK with that. He wants a really big opportunity. At the end of the day if it does go badly, he will have gone to Stanford. And that's not the worst thing can say about a person.'"

Northwestern: No longer enough of a rebuilding job?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rn-basketball-greenstein-20170605-column.html
I think Cormac is correct that he will have a much greater chance to play at Stanford. I watched them play about three times on television and it was the worst Stanford basketball team I have seen in recent memory.

1) Do we know why Teddy is so interested in this particular recruit's process (besides potentially trying to cover for his misfire in the earlier article)?
He's interested in this recruit for the same reason that any journalist focuses on any story: Because he has a source. The previous article wasn't a misfire. TG is not in the business of predicting where recruits will end up. He had a source that was willing to give him information, and that source thought Ryan was leaning toward NU. Was Teddy supposed to sit on that info? TG is by a mile the best and most fair mainstream journalist covering NU. It amazes me how much crap he takes on these boards.

He's interested in this recruit for the same reason that any journalist focuses on any story: Because he has a source. The previous article wasn't a misfire. TG is not in the business of predicting where recruits will end up. He had a source that was willing to give him information, and that source thought Ryan was leaning toward NU. Was Teddy supposed to sit on that info? TG is by a mile the best and most fair mainstream journalist covering NU. It amazes me how much crap he takes on these boards.
Agreed. He is the one local reporter that gives us consitant coverage and through good and bad kept our programs published. I really don't get it.

Reactions: Medill '03

You should see how much crap he takes on the Lovie's board.

2) Once again, it's extremely difficult to fault a kid for picking Stanford. They've got a still relatively new coach who had some pretty good success at UAB plus, as Mike Ryan indicates in the article, a Stanford degree is a pretty nice thing to fall back on if the rebuild doesn't go according to plan.
Why the reverence for Stanford? Do you see NU as being a poor man's Stanford? That's unfortunate, and a hard mindset to change if our own fans think it.

Why the reverence for Stanford? Do you see NU as being a poor man's Stanford? That's unfortunate, and a hard mindset to change if our own fans think it.

Advantages of NU vs. Stanford depend more on the micro level (i.e., this department vs. that department). Only macro level advantages would be proximity to Chicago and the Big Ten, but Stanford can argue the Bay and the Pac 12 on its side.

As far as brand-name recognition, it's Stanford all the way, unfortunately. And weather? Do we need to go there?

Still, sure, there are reasons why you might pick NU over Stanford head to head. I would guess for the average Joe it would be Stanford 70% and the other 30% would be NU due to location, specific majors.

Advantages of NU vs. Stanford depend more on the micro level (i.e., this department vs. that department). Only macro level advantages would be proximity to Chicago and the Big Ten, but Stanford can argue the Bay and the Pac 12 on its side.

As far as brand-name recognition, it's Stanford all the way, unfortunately. And weather? Do we need to go there?

Still, sure, there are reasons why you might pick NU over Stanford head to head. I would guess for the average Joe it would be Stanford 70% and the other 30% would be NU due to location, specific majors.

What percent of BB players who are top 250 in the nation, are most concerned with the specifics of their major? Most would have a primary concern about developing their game IMO and possibility of getting into the NBA.

Collins is proving he can produce a competitive team and soon will have some guys playing in the NBA but until then getting these top flight guys is going to be a challenge. I think he is getting there but NU is not a BB destination yet.

Collins helped develop plenty of players at Duke and coached pros on the Olympic team. Of course not yet as the head man, so he needs to start building a track record. But I don't see that as his biggest hurdle to landing top kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT