ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia questions

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Against current FBS teams, the Cats have won their last match over 33.

First question: What is the FBS team that the Cats own their longest winning streak over and when did it start?

Second question: of the other 13 teams currently in the conference, how many won their last game over the Cats?

Third question: The Cats have won the last meeting against 8 FBS teams that have at one time won a national championship. How many can you name?

First question: What is the FBS team that the Cats own their longest winning streak over and when did it start?

Second question: of the other 13 teams currently in the conference, how many won their last game over the Cats?

Third question: The Cats have won the last meeting against 8 FBS teams that have at one time won a national championship. How many can you name?

I'll give No. 3 a shot. Off the top of my head, without Googling: Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Pitt, Penn State, Syracuse, Illinois...

Gotta run right now. Who can add one more? I think those seven are correct.

I'll give No. 3 a shot. Off the top of my head, without Googling: Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Pitt, Penn State, Syracuse, Illinois...

Gotta run right now. Who can add one more? I think those seven are correct.
Lou, Those seven are all good. The 8th is a little surprising.

1. Indiana?
2. 6 teams
3. Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Penn State, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Oklahoma

1. Indiana?
2. 6 teams
3. Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Penn State, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Oklahoma
1. Indiana is incorrect
2. 6 is correct: Ohio State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Rutgers all won their last game against the Cats. The Cats won over Penn State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State and Purdue. Maryland and NU have never played.
3. See Lou's answer: you are also one school short.

By longest, do you mean time or # of wins in a row? If time, Notre Dame. 2-0 since 1995. If by # of wins in a row, I'll go with Indiana. NU has had 5 straight wins versus Indiana dating back to 2008.

Six current B1G teams beat the cats the last time they played.

Nebraska (2016)
Ohio State (2016)
Wisconsin (2016)
Michigan (2015)
Minnesota (2016)
Rutgers (1991) - Cats lost to Rutgers in 1991, which was the last time they played.

1. Oklahoma
  2. Notre Dame
  3. Pitt
  4. Michigan State
  5. Illinois
  6. Penn State
  7. Syracuse
  8. Stanford

Reactions: Cat In The Cradle

By longest, do you mean time or # of wins in a row? If time, Notre Dame. 2-0 since 1995. If by # of wins in a row, I'll go with Indiana. NU has had 5 straight wins versus Indiana dating back to 2008.

Nebraska (2016)
Ohio State (2016)
Wisconsin (2016)
Michigan (2015)
Minnesota (2016)
Rutgers (1991) - Cats lost to Rutgers in 1991, which was the last time they played.

1. Oklahoma
  2. Notre Dame
  3. Pitt
  4. Michigan State
  5. Illinois
  6. Penn State
  7. Syracuse
  8. Stanford
Stanford is not the 8th.

Stanford shared the NCAA title with Alabama in 1926.

Stanford also was undefeated and was declared national champ by several polls in 1940 as well.

Princeton is FCS.

Please, not Chicago.

Did Evanston Township HS win a national championship in the 19th century?

Nebraska (2016)
Ohio State (2016)
Wisconsin (2016)
Michigan (2015)
Minnesota (2016)

1. Oklahoma
  2. Notre Dame
  3. Pitt
  4. Michigan State
  5. Illinois
  6. Penn State
  7. Syracuse
  8. Stanford

For question one, most wins with a bonus point for oldest first win in current streak. Neither Indiana nor ND fit either one.

Stanford also was undefeated and was declared national champ by several polls in 1940 as well.

Princeton is FCS.

Please, not Chicago.

Did Evanston Township HS win a national championship in the 19th century?

Good one. The actual one is surprising from the Purple perspective, though. As a hint, the last one is considered a national power in a number of sports, and for long stretches of history has been a power in football. It was last in the top 15 last year for a number of weeks, ruling out Evanston Township.

Good one. The actual one is surprising from the Purple perspective, though. As a hint, the last one is considered a national power in a number of sports, and for long stretches of history has been a power in football. It was last in the top 15 last year for a number of weeks, ruling out Evanston Township.
Yale?

EDIT: Not Yale. Ivy League?

I believe it was also the only game outside the state of Texas that the Longhorns played that year.

That probably happened often in the old Southwest Conference considering all the teams in the conference except Arkansas were located in Texas.

Interesting to see that games back then usually didn't start until October.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT