ADVERTISEMENT

TS leading a nice drive now

He botched the second drive by not seeing Sanders and Thomas open downfield on successive plays. Still looks very good, though.

He botched the second drive by not seeing Sanders and Thomas open downfield on successive plays. Still looks very good, though.

I believe, if there is a criticism of TS, it is that he doesn't try the downfield passes enough but his accuracy is very good otherwise. The first touchdown pass was a "pro" throw over the linebacker but short of the endline

The interception ,he threw would have hit his receiver in the chest if he had not lost his balance coming out of his cut.

I know many on this board can't believe that TS was not a 3 year starter at NU but all you had to see was last weeks Duke game to realize that KC was the better choice for most of the snaps those years

NU did not use TS the way the could have in their offence. They were still in the QB/RB mind-set "running QB" mode. Which fit KC better. I think we see the TS was a guy that could have run a pro-style system at NU. I think NU's coaches are growing. They changed their offence style to a more "Pro" type and it fits Clayton. It kind of screwed Matt A. He is more fitted to the "running QB" offence. But to his credit he has been a good team player. I think the more NU players in the NFL, the better recruiting will get for the program.

NU did not use TS the way the could have in their offence. They were still in the QB/RB mind-set "running QB" mode. Which fit KC better. I think we see the TS was a guy that could have run a pro-style system at NU. I think NU's coaches are growing. They changed their offence style to a more "Pro" type and it fits Clayton. It kind of screwed Matt A. He is more fitted to the "running QB" offence. But to his credit he has been a good team player. I think the more NU players in the NFL, the better recruiting will get for the program.

The list of NU players in the NFL was flashed during the game-I believe it was 10 or 11-much better than in years gone by

They changed their offence style to a more "Pro" type and it fits Clayton

The offense hasn't "changed" per se, McCall just tailors the playbook/calls to the strengths of his QB. NU still runs a spread and uses the same basic passing tenants we've seen since 2008. The only big differences I've noticed over the years are the implementation of RPOs (like most offenses in Div 1) and an increased reliance on the outside zone. A case can be made that the outside zone usage is more related to JJ's running style though.

Players, Formations, Plays.

Last edited:
Didn't get to watch the game but found some fun highlights demonstrating Siemian's offense was clicking under his direction leading to a 42 to 17 win. Announcer states his protection improved from last week. Not bad stats for Trevor individually either with 4 TDs, 231 Yards, and 22 for 32.

Here is a link for the fun to watch video clips:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017091710/2017/REG2/cowboys@broncos#menu=gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000847172&tab=recap
He has some really good receivers and the offensive play calling seems pretty solid.

Our OL was not suited that well to the pro O. Plus TS was injured much of his time here. Coaching staff is about maximizing wins which for the most part they did.

The offense hasn't "changed" per se, McCall just tailors the playbook/calls to the strengths of his QB. NU still runs a spread and uses the same basic passing tenants we've seen since 2008. The only big differences I've noticed over the years are the implementation of RPOs (like most offenses in Div 1) and an increased reliance on the outside zone. A case can be made that the outside zone usage is more related to JJ's running style though.

Players, Formations, Plays.

Yes, and McCall and Fitz blew it with Siemian and Colter. Give them propers for not repeating the issue with Thorson/Alviti. Alviti is probably a better run/pass QB than Colter for that matter. At least he looked fine on his 68 yard run and the rolling over the shoulder TD pass against Duke looked 10X better than any wounded duck that Colter ever threw.

I know there are those on the board who insist that Colter was the best option given our poor OL unable to give adequate protection to Siemian, but one look at any Denver Broncos game the last couple years and the turnstile OT play that TS has to deal with and his performance (including his legwork - hello Joey Bosa) in spite of it knows that that explanation is just pure BS. Not to mention our offensive line is as bad as it has ever been (somethings just don't change, especially when you don't make needed changes in your coaching staff), and yet, here we are today with Clayton.

No, they just made the wrong decision.

They were coming off of Dan Persa, sure, but prior to that, McCall had CJ Bacher. He could have tailored the offense, just as he is doing with Thorson. McCall isn't screwing Matt A. He's just playing the best QB. He screwed Trevor Siemian though. Defend the coaches all you want with the lame excuses, but there is just no way we should have been leaving a future NFL starter, who just beat the #1 NFC team from last year and has the #4 QBR in the league, playing behind a player who would have been a better WR than a QB.

Perhaps you missed the pass to Jeremy Ebert at Nebraska

It was a nice play. Possibly the longest pass I've ever seen Colter throw. Wobbled quite a bit but it did hit Ebert in stride. Ebert made most of the yardage on YAC. Alviti's pass was easily more impressive, especially throwing on the run.

Last edited:
It was a nice play. Possibly the longest pass I've ever seen Colter throw. Wobbled quite a bit but it did hit Ebert in stride. Ebert made most of the yardage on YAC. Alviti's pass was easily more impressive, especially throwing on the run.

Alviti's pass was the wobbliest pass I've seen for a TD in quite a while. Comparing him favorably to Colter is just ridiculous. Good for a laugh, though.

Alviti's pass was the wobbliest pass I've seen for a TD in quite a while. Comparing him favorably to Colter is just ridiculous. Good for a laugh, though.

Colter would have had the arm strength to throw off his back foot and on the run, around 3 yards. But, yeah, this discussion has been laughable.

Yes, and McCall and Fitz blew it with Siemian and Colter. Give them propers for not repeating the issue with Thorson/Alviti. Alviti is probably a better run/pass QB than Colter for that matter. At least he looked fine on his 68 yard run and the rolling over the shoulder TD pass against Duke looked 10X better than any wounded duck that Colter ever threw.

I know there are those on the board who insist that Colter was the best option given our poor OL unable to give adequate protection to Siemian, but one look at any Denver Broncos game the last couple years and the turnstile OT play that TS has to deal with and his performance (including his legwork - hello Joey Bosa) in spite of it knows that that explanation is just pure BS. Not to mention our offensive line is as bad as it has ever been (somethings just don't change, especially when you don't make needed changes in your coaching staff), and yet, here we are today with Clayton.
Let me step in here and end this right now.

Kain Colter was a special player. NU doesn't get too many guys with the skills that kid had. I love all our guys, but when you see the really elite athletes that play for the top 10-calibur teams in the country (especially at the skill positions), you can just see the difference. Kain had those abilities. I don't know if the stats will back me up, but it sure seemed that Kain's dual threat ability made his NU team much more efficient in the red zone than any NU team since. He was a gifted athlete who could make plays in the college game. We have seen many many examples, Heisman trophy-winning examples, of athletic quarterbacks whose success in college didn't translate to the pros. Kain was that guy for us. Trevor's fantastic success in the NFL takes nothing away from what Kain Colter did as a Cat.

People also tend to forget that Kain's shoulder was damaged in high school. It's the reason Harbaugh jerked him around and why he ended up in Evanston.

Despite this fact, the coaching still staff trusted him to lead the offense. That really says something. Kain was a special player and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him wear purple.

Last edited:
No one forgets he had a bum shoulder. It's one reason he shouldn't have played QB. He was a great athlete. No one denies it nor is anyone saying he wasn't a great playmaker and I am not arguing his talents should have been wasted on the bench. On the contrary. He should have been on the field for every play. But our offense was one dimensional with him out there behind center and sub optimal without the ability to beat people downfield. Better to put the NFL starter out there and have Colter running reverses, catching balls in the slot and making plays that way, with situational Wildcat roles only at QB. Instead the future Denver Broncos starter sat as a wasted asset on the bench and we were weaker at two positions and as an offense as a whole.

The coaching staff also trusts Adam Cushing to lead our OL unit so you'll forgive me if I'm not overly impressed with the infallibility of their trust and judgment.

People also tend to forget that Kain's shoulder was damaged in high school. It's the reason Harbaugh jerked him around and why he ended up in Evanston.

Despite this fact, the coaching still staff trusted him to lead the offense. That really says something. Kain was a special player and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him wear purple.

Colter's arm was inconsistent in terms of arm strength. I recall seeing him throw darts to the far sideline that the broadcasters noted. He actually often overthrew his receivers, though he did make a costly underthrow against Iowa in 2012. Other times, his ball speed was mediocre. His accuracy throwing short passes was amazing (89% on passes up to 15 yards). Consequently, his yards per attempt was not much below that of Trevor.

Colter was amazing to watch up-close in-person. Tough and gave everything he had! A really great player, IMO.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
No one forgets he had a bum shoulder. It's one reason he shouldn't have played QB. He was a great athlete. No one denies it nor is anyone saying he wasn't a great playmaker and I am not arguing his talents should have been wasted on the bench. On the contrary. He should have been on the field for every play. But our offense was one dimensional with him out there behind center and sub optimal without the ability to beat people downfield. Better to put the NFL starter out there and have Colter running reverses, catching balls in the slot and making plays that way, with situational Wildcat roles only at QB. Instead the future Denver Broncos starter sat as a wasted asset on the bench and we were weaker at two positions and as an offense as a whole.

The coaching staff also trusts Adam Cushing to lead our OL unit so you'll forgive me if I'm not overly impressed with the infallibility of their trust and judgment.
please-stop-it.jpg

Colter's arm was inconsistent in terms of arm strength. I recall seeing him throw darts to the far sideline that the broadcasters noted. He actually often overthrew his receivers, though he did make a costly underthrow against Iowa in 2012. Other times, his ball speed was mediocre. His accuracy throwing short passes was amazing (89% on passes up to 15 yards). Consequently, his yards per attempt was not much below that of Trevor.

Colter was amazing to watch up-close in-person. Tough and gave everything he had! A really great player, IMO.

Colter was tough and left it out on the field. A real competitor. And yes a great playmaker and player. I just don't think we were optimal leaving a future NFL starter on the bench. Surely, there was a better way to include both players talents for the benefit of NU. I'm not saying Colter was a shitty football player. He wasn't. He was very talented. I simply don't think the arrangement of having him at QB and Trevor on the bench was optimal.

Colter was tough and left it out on the field. A real competitor. And yes a great playmaker and player. I just don't think we were optimal leaving a future NFL starter on the bench. Surely, there was a better way to include both players talents for the benefit of NU. I'm not saying Colter was a shitty football player. He wasn't. He was very talented. I simply don't think the arrangement of having him at QB and Trevor on the bench was optimal.

And I don't think playing an option-free, spread running attack with that sketchy OL was optimal. Not when you have an explosive runner in space like Venric Mark, who was much more productive in the read-option with Colter at QB than with Trevor. I also wouldn't equate Trevor 5 years ago with Trevor today. He's generally healthier now (healed up from last year, visibly stronger) and has become a lot better at reading defenses and making accurate throws. Far fewer game-killing pick-6's like he served up three times in 2013. Trevor was both excellent and frustrating at NU, but he played behind a sketchy OL and was often injured. He's made excellent progress since becoming mentored and coached by the best.

What if Joseph Jones Jr. ends up becoming an all-pro LB in 5 years in the NFL...are you gonna complain that he didn't play enough at NU?

Reactions: heet75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT