ADVERTISEMENT

Boo Buie - NU all time leading scorer

Willie Jones was a big contributor in the late 50's also. Very quick. IIRC, he was drafted by the Pistons and stuck around for a few years.
Can still remember the time Willie Jones handed the ball to the player on the other team just as they both were going out of bounds. The other guy, not being too bright and rather surprised, took the ball and came down with it. Possession to the Cats.

Reactions: DaCat
I would take Jitim for 5th best player in his time at NU.
This is correct.

Though if we were actually trying to create the best 5 man lineup I think Vic Law is the answer for defense and a bit more floor spacing. You’d have Jitim, Crawford, Vedran etc as the first guys off the bench. And Juice backup PG for some spot minutes each game, I don’t think you can have Boo and Juice on the floor at the same time for defense reasons.
Naaah. You’d just Jitim play the four and let him pound anybody that came his way and also crash the offensive glass and also fire up the crowd because he was both good and going so goddamn hard.

Maaaaan, it’s a shame Jitim never played at a crazy Welsh.

I saw Willie Jones drop 30 against Jerry West and West Virginia in a 118-109 triple overtime win at Chicago Stadium. That 58-59 team was very good and might have won the Big Ten had starting forward Phil Warren not broken his arm in January. As it was, they still finished second (as we relearned last year!)

I saw Willie Jones drop 30 against Jerry West and West Virginia in a 118-109 triple overtime win at Chicago Stadium. That 58-59 team was very good and might have won the Big Ten had starting forward Phil Warren not broken his arm in January. As it was, they still finished second (as we relearned last year!)
But at that time only one BIG team went to dance so. That was a few years before me but hard to have to go that far back. No 3 pt back then so who knows how that might have changed things, Same time fewer games each year back then

Billy McKinney played a long time in the NBA. I think Don Adams may have the next longest tenure. NU basketball from '66-'69 was very good relative to NU's history. NU actually had the #1 recruiting class in the early 60's-memory says it included Jim Pitts, Jim Burns, Ron Kosloski(sic), Jim Cummins.
NU v UCLA at Chicago Stadium in '69 was a classic NU performance-beat the crap out of Alcindor, lead by 10 at half despite shooting 30% then we got cold and lost.
Don Adams and Jim Burns were great players, both better all around players than John Shurna but no one mentions or possibly even remembers them-Florida Alum(RIP)and No Chores would be exceptions
I was at that game. The end came when we lost all our centers to fouls and then Alcindor had his wasy

Let's be clear about scoring records. Boo is NOT going to break John Shurna's record.

To do so he would have had to accomplish it last year in his fourth.

You can't compare a four year record with a five year one. It's meaningless to try comparing them.

Nevertheless the network announcers will make a big deal out of it. We'll see if they acknowledge the difference or not.

It will also be interesting to see how Dave Eanet treats it. He should certainly know better.

• Haha
Reactions: NJCat and NUCat320
Seems like it will count just fine. It's not the three year record or the four year record or the five year record, or the record counting three point shots, or the record not counting three point shots. afaik, it's just the career points scored record.

Let's be clear about scoring records. Boo is NOT going to break John Shurna's record.

You can't compare a four year record with a five year one. It's meaningless to try comparing them.

Nevertheless the network announcers will make a big deal out of it. We'll see if they acknowledge the difference or not.

It will also be interesting to see how Dave Eanet treats it. He should certainly know better.
If you want to treat it that way, Shurna would have had to match McKinney in 102 games instead of the 130 he was able to play because of the extended schedule and tournament play Shurna enjoyed. Shurna had 138 more total points, and was well behind Billy when he reached 102 games. McKinney averaged almost 3 points more per game than Shurna without 3 point goals.

The record is 'Total Points' and Boo is definitely going to break it. To me the number of games played is irrelevant here. It's simply who scored the most points while playing for NU.

Now the record Boo isn't going to break is 'Scoring Average.' Neither Shurna nor McKinney own it either. Here's the top 10:

1. Joe Ruklick 19.9
2. Dale Kelley 19.8
3. Jim Burns 19.5
4. Billy McKinney 18.6
5. Walker Lambiotte 17.4
6. Evan Eschmeyer 16.1
7. Geno Carlisle 15.8
8. John Shurna/Mark Sibley/Ray Ragelis 15.7

Boo Buie is currently at 14.4.

The record is 'Total Points' and Boo is definitely going to break it. To me the number of games played is irrelevant here. It's simply who scored the most points while playing for NU.

Now the record Boo isn't going to break is 'Scoring Average.' Neither Shurna nor McKinney own it either. Here's the top 10:

1. Joe Ruklick 19.9
2. Dale Kelley 19.8
3. Jim Burns 19.5
4. Billy McKinney 18.6
5. Walker Lambiotte 17.4
6. Evan Eschmeyer 16.1
7. Geno Carlisle 15.8
8. John Shurna/Mark Sibley/Ray Ragelis 15.7

Boo Buie is currently at 14.4.
Haha, not so fast, how about scoring per minute? How about per possession as the shot clock used to be 45 seconds? Or not exist at all! How about adjusted for tempo???

Point is, you are 100% correct, the record is total points. That's it. And it's damn worth celebrating it and experiencing it. I think folks get caught in other arguments because they feel it somehow diminishes the accomplishments of ppl they admire.

Last edited:

Wasn’t there a time when freshmen were not allowed to play? How many ended careers with only three years?

Reactions: ballerog711
It is hilarious how little defense was played (or how fast the pace was, if you prefer), despite stereotypical grumbling about nobody caring about defense anymore.

McKinney averaged 16 shot attempts per game for his career, never fewer than 14.5 as a freshman.

By contrast, Shurna averaged 11.6 for his career, with a max of 14.9.

Boo has averaged 12 FGA for his career, maxing out at 14.5 each of the past two seasons.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a time when freshmen were not allowed to play? How many ended careers with only three years?
Freshmen became eligible in 1972-73, and Tim Teasley was the first eligible freshman to play for the Cats. The year Kareem Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor) was a freshman at UCLA, the Frosh ream played the reigning national champion UCLA varsity in an exhibition game and won by 15 points: https://vault.si.com/vault/1965/12/06/the-hot-brubabes

Reactions: No Chores
I was at that game. The end came when we lost all our centers to fouls and then Alcindor had his wasy
I believe Jim Sarno and Jerry Sutton were 2 of the centers that pounded Alcindor. I know there were others that were forced to guard him. NU was very good that year-Terry Gamber, Dale Kelly. Dan Davis, Stirling Burke

The game was played at the old Chicago Stadium, home to the Blackhawks as well. There was plywood planking over the ice from the dressing room to the BB floor. UCLA ran out of their locker room, missed the planking, creating a pile up of their entire team, with players sprawled out all over the ice. I remember Sidney Wicks and Lynn Shackleford helping in the second half UCLA comeback.

Haha, not so fast, how about scoring per minute? How about per possession as the shot clock used to be 45 seconds? Or not exist at all! How about adjusted for tempo???

Point is, you are 100% correct, the record is total points. That's it. And it's damn worth celebrating it and experiencing it. I think folks get caught in other arguments because they feel it somehow diminishes the accomplishments of ppl they admire.
Well said. Boo didn’t make the rules. He just plays, scores, wins games and makes his teammates better. It was all on display tonight as he broke the record but more importantly helped win the game. He gets my vote for NU GOAT.

Well said. Boo didn’t make the rules. He just plays, scores, wins games and makes his teammates better. It was all on display tonight as he broke the record but more importantly helped win the game. He gets my vote for NU GOAT.

And none of those guys had to run the offense the entire game. It’s really, really hard finding a balance between creating for your teammates and finding your shots when you have to score for the team to win. That’s why I always cut him a lot of slack.

Reactions: IGNORE2

lol what a terrible take

BOO BUIE NU ALL-TIME SCORING LEADER

Reactions: No Chores
I thought the issue was his mother had cancer and he wanted to be with her but Carmody refused so he just quit. If my memory is correct then Coble should not be blamed and knocked down a peg or so on any list
Sort of. His mom’s cancer was in remission. He wanted to go on vacation with his family to Hawaii (comes from a well-off background) instead of the team’s pre-season basketball trip to Europe. Carmody said no, which 100% of college coaches would as well. So Coble quit basketball period.

Kind of an odd deal, but hard to blame Carmody for that one.

Sort of. His mom’s cancer was in remission. He wanted to go on vacation with his family to Hawaii (comes from a well-off background) instead of the team’s pre-season basketball trip to Europe. Carmody said no, which 100% of college coaches would as well. So Coble quit basketball period.

Both Kevin and his mom didn’t come off looking too good. That 2010-2011 season was looking like our best chance to get to The Dance with one of Carmody’s most talented teams:

Coble SR
Thompson SR
Shurna JR
Crawford SO

The previous year that Coble missed with a Lisfranc fracture was also a pretty talented team.

Both Kevin and his mom didn’t come off looking too good. That 2010-2011 season was looking like our best chance to get to The Dance with one of Carmody’s most talented teams:

Coble SR
Thompson SR
Shurna JR
Crawford SO

The previous year that Coble missed with a Lisfranc fracture was also a pretty talented team.
Yep, Carmody’s teams got kicked in the nuts quite often, culminating in a big Shurna injury. We were right there.

Some folks here may remember that Coble showed up on this board once to relay his side of the story, which I recall wasn’t particularly revelatory. I seem to remember there being a disagreement over his injury recovery between the team doctor and his personal doctor

I’m seeing that the latest thing is comparing Caitlin Clark to Pete Maravich’s career total. And the knee-jerk thing is to point out that Maravich did it in 3 years without 3s (both true). But what’s wild to me is Maravich averaged 38 shot attempts per game in his college career! No wonder that guy averaged 44 points. Clark’s a total gunner and she’s only averaged 20 attempts a game over her career.

It’s good that we can have this debate. There won’t be much dispute that the Final Four for the NU GOAT honors are, in alphabetical order, Buie, Eschmeyer, McKinney, and Shurna.
Perhaps, but one can only wonder what might have been with Edward T. McCants.

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat and NJCat
I suspect you would be in a very small minority maybe of one. Esch was a dominant college center. He was a 3 time first team All B1G and a consensus 2nd team All American. Easily one of the top four NU Cats ever.
Probably the best actually, with all due respect to Boo. He was constantly triple teamed and still dominated. Imagine if he had any help whatsoever.

Put him on this team instead of Boo and we are Purdue.

Probably the best actually, with all due respect to Boo. He was constantly triple teamed and still dominated. Imagine if he had any help whatsoever.

Put him on this team instead of Boo and we are Purdue.
We'd be better than Purdue with a prime and healthy Esch on this team.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
We'd be better than Purdue with a prime and healthy Esch on this team.
We’d have two All Big 1st team players and possibly two All Americans plus a decent supporting cast. Hell yeah.

No asterisk, but being able to play 5 seasons due to (hopefully) a once in a century pandemic is quite different from ever expanding schedules.

No asterisk, but being able to play 5 seasons due to (hopefully) a once in a century pandemic is quite different from ever expanding schedules.
Who cares really? Fact: Buie has scored the most points of any player who ever wore the NU uniform.

Yes - it shows Boo’s extra 25% of commitment to this program.

Boo Buie is our all time leading scorer. No asterisk(s) required.

We Love You Boo!!!
and Gus Hurlburt is on pace to set a record that will never be broken by anyone.

100% Field Goal Percentage for the season.

Asterisk required?

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Who cares really? Fact: Buie has scored the most points of any player who ever wore the NU uniform.
I don't know if that's true or not. I mean, yeah, BASKETBALL points, but I bet someone who has worn an NU uniform has more points in Galaga or something.

Just based on some of the responses here shows that some do care.

If CC was returning for her 5th season at Iowa, her scoring record would basically be unbreakable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT